THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Great bands you don't care for?  (Read 82772 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Great bands you don't care for?
« Reply #50 on: 15 Dec 2006, 01:40 »

i feel like i'm going to be slaughtered (verbally, hopefully not literally) for this, but i really can't stand deerhoof. i've tried, i honestly have. i've listened to milkman 3 or 4 times. i've listened to the runners four several times as well. and each time i go in telling myself, "this time i'll get it" and i never do. and it's not like i don't like the genre, or don't like bands with odd vocalists, or just don't understand some hidden subtltie, i just don't like their music. i think i'm a definite exception when it comes to this.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #51 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:33 »

Radiohead
Morrissey
The Velvet Underground
Tortoise
U2

And maybe Bright Eyes if it wasn't for I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning.

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #52 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:36 »

This may not really fit the parameters of the topic but so many people are enamoured of xiuxiu and I fucking hate him/them. HATE.

I hate his creepy creepy trembly voice.  I feel like he's going to molest my as-yet-unconceived children.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #53 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:52 »

I seem to be one of the few people on the face of the Earth who doesn't like Radiohead. I mean, Airbag is a pretty cool song. And the album Kid A is kind of cool, but boring. But I'm basically just that one weird guy around here who doesn't like Radiohead. And people say "I didn't like them either at first, cause they were too weird," and I just reply that I listen to music that's far weirder.

Oh ya, and I don't really like Pink Floyd either.

CutMan

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Reality is almost always wrong."
« Reply #54 on: 15 Dec 2006, 03:03 »

It's so fun that a topic that's about bands you think are great but you don't like turns into a topic about mentioning a band you just plain don't like that a lot of people do, so someone who does can insult you. Or so you and those who agree can sit there and insult said band with you. 

That's what I love about you guys, I can just FEEL the love. It's almost gross.^_^

Narr

« Reply #55 on: 15 Dec 2006, 03:32 »

I'll probably get flayed alive for this, but

The Decemberists.

I heard two albums in their entirety, and heard a song that I kind of liked.  (The Tane and The Crane Wife were the albums, btw.)  I'm still willing to give them some more listening, but from all the jizz people have spilled in their name here on the boards, I figured I'd actually care about them a little on the first listen-through.

I really don't like having to "work" to like music.  If something's an "acquired taste" then I usually don't have the patience.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #56 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:30 »

Actually, you'll find that you're in pretty good company if you dislike The Decemberists.  Quite a few people on here, myself included, are not particularly fond of them.  I can stand them, and actually enjoy a couple of songs (enough to include them in the vast plethora of music listed on my Myspace page), but you won't catch me ever buying one of their albums.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #57 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:13 »

I seem to be one of the few people on the face of the Earth who doesn't like Radiohead. I mean, Airbag is a pretty cool song. And the album Kid A is kind of cool, but boring. But I'm basically just that one weird guy around here who doesn't like Radiohead. And people say "I didn't like them either at first, cause they were too weird," and I just reply that I listen to music that's far weirder.

Oh ya, and I don't really like Pink Floyd either.

1. Dude, there is a nation of Radiohead haters out there. I'm not among them, but you could probably join an official chatroom somewhere about how Radiohead are shit.

2. Disliking Radiohead and disliking the Floyd - two of my favourite bands, it must be said - are not really mutually exclusive.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Rocinante

« Reply #58 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:19 »

I like prog-rock and metal a fair amount, but I've never gotten into Floyd either. They have always struck me as the more boring older brothers that needed acid to compose their pieces. The Wall, for example, is too bizarre for me to ever enjoy. I certainly won't ever hate them.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #59 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:27 »

Even though I'm pretty sure Floyd stopped taking acid right after Barrett went fucking coocoo. But wutevs
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:41 »

Most of them barely even took it before hand. As far as I can tell, Roger Waters took it once, it shit-scared him and he never took it again, and he was the main songwriter. So 'needing acid to compose their pieces' seems to be a misinterpretation.

In fact, that Floyd are a drugs band is a common misconception. Post-Barrett, the drugs and the music were almost entirely separate entities.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #61 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:48 »

I don't agree with a single band anybody has said yet. Except the obvious ones, like Oasis, who nobody but stupid British journos have ever said were great. Maybe I'm not as much of a musical elitist as I thought.

CutMan

« Reply #62 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:56 »

I don't agree with a single band anybody has said yet. Except the obvious ones, like Oasis, who nobody but stupid British journos have ever said were great. Maybe I'm not as much of a musical elitist as I thought.

What? You dissagree that the bands are great or that they can't get into them? I'd like to make surei t's clear that I'm one of the few people here who are on topic, I actually think the bands I listed are good. Which I think is what the point was.

Rocinante

« Reply #63 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:54 »

Most of them barely even took it before hand. As far as I can tell, Roger Waters took it once, it shit-scared him and he never took it again, and he was the main songwriter. So 'needing acid to compose their pieces' seems to be a misinterpretation.

In fact, that Floyd are a drugs band is a common misconception. Post-Barrett, the drugs and the music were almost entirely separate entities.

I keep hearing conflicting reports on this, so I'll hold myself in check before I mention anything else, sorry!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #64 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:32 »

I would imagine that watching Syd Barret wreck his mind up against a giant freaking wall of LSD would be enough to ensure that even if they did dabble in drugs here in there, they wouldn't take it too far.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:46 »

Guys I think Pavement are boring!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Felix_

« Reply #66 on: 15 Dec 2006, 12:24 »

Rush.

Narr

« Reply #67 on: 15 Dec 2006, 13:47 »

Actually, you'll find that you're in pretty good company if you dislike The Decemberists.  Quite a few people on here, myself included, are not particularly fond of them.  I can stand them, and actually enjoy a couple of songs (enough to include them in the vast plethora of music listed on my Myspace page), but you won't catch me ever buying one of their albums.
Well, I feel a little better now.

Honestly, whenever I express my musical tastes here, I am scared shitless I'll be ostracized for being, well, mainstream.  I like "safe" music, in the sense that I feel accomplished discovering that I like a band who's already deceased that I should have heard about a long time ago.  Most stuff I "find" on my own are because I hear a song in a movie or video game that I think is particularly spiffy.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: 15 Dec 2006, 14:36 »

i feel like i'm going to be slaughtered (verbally, hopefully not literally) for this, but i really can't stand deerhoof. i've tried, i honestly have. i've listened to milkman 3 or 4 times. i've listened to the runners four several times as well. and each time i go in telling myself, "this time i'll get it" and i never do. and it's not like i don't like the genre, or don't like bands with odd vocalists, or just don't understand some hidden subtltie, i just don't like their music. i think i'm a definite exception when it comes to this.

Don't worry. It's probably something to do with the fact that Deerhoof just aren't very good, or engaging, or clever, or anything really.

Well, except quirky, and doesn't that just make 'em the best thing ever omg omg omg?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 15 Dec 2006, 19:24 »

I would imagine that watching Syd Barret wreck his mind up against a giant freaking wall of LSD would be enough to ensure that even if they did dabble in drugs here in there, they wouldn't take it too far.

Gilmour got hooked on cocaine in the late eighties, and I think they all used drugs, but recreationally. To quote Rick Wright, 'it certainly wasn't lying around the studio.'

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #70 on: 15 Dec 2006, 19:59 »

What? You dissagree that the bands are great or that they can't get into them? I'd like to make surei t's clear that I'm one of the few people here who are on topic, I actually think the bands I listed are good. Which I think is what the point was.

I meant that most of the bands people have listed as not liking are bands that I love. Like Deerhoof, Sleater-Kinney, Pavement...

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #71 on: 15 Dec 2006, 21:51 »

Sunn
Khanate
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Smiths
That Fucking Tank
Dinosaur Jr
Nirvana
Bad Brains
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
Radiohead
Metallica
Pelican
Explosions In The Sky
Beecher
Poison The Well
Cave In
Echo And The Bunnymen
Massive Attack
Tricky
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #72 on: 15 Dec 2006, 22:15 »

I don't like Pelican.  They bore me.  Everyone and their mother, at least in music journalism camp, were creaming themselves over this band last year, and I just don't get it.  I like a lot of instrumental stuff - I've been enjoying Russian Circles a TON this year, just as an example - but something about Pelican never stuck on me...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #73 on: 15 Dec 2006, 23:36 »

Don't worry. It's probably something to do with the fact that Deerhoof just aren't very good, or engaging, or clever, or anything really.

Well, except quirky, and doesn't that just make 'em the best thing ever omg omg omg?

Heh, heh, touche.  I love you, Khar.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #74 on: 16 Dec 2006, 00:58 »

Anal Cunt
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #75 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:41 »

I don't know if you read my story over on the first page, Tommy, but I think the man can be forgiven for not liking Deerhoof. This girl didn't know who Run D.M.-Fucking-C. was. Anything approaching musical ignorance comes nowhere close to that.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #76 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:44 »

He ... rocks?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #77 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:47 »

Run D.M.C. rock, which is why I was floored that a girl who enjoys Bloc Party and Mclusky could not know who they were.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #78 on: 16 Dec 2006, 02:01 »

A common mistake is that liking good bands means you know stuff about music.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #79 on: 16 Dec 2006, 02:20 »

Oh, I'm responsible for Bloc Party and another friend is responsible for Mclusky. I think she just likes both bands to impress us, really.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #80 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:27 »

Early Radiohead, the Kinks, Nirvana, Slayer, Rush, Celtic Frost.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #81 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:40 »

Slayer is not, nor have they ever been, a great band. Ever.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

CutMan

« Reply #82 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:18 »

See, people keep turning this into a discussion of what is or isn't great thread. It's not.

Stop it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #83 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:34 »

Stop It were good, but there were never really great. I can see why you don't like them. I've never understood the acclaim they get. Except for And Tidy Up, which is a pretty good record, but really their only cohesive batch of material to date.

ForksOfSalvation

« Reply #84 on: 16 Dec 2006, 07:54 »

Slayer will rip your face off.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #85 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:24 »

Early Radiohead

Honestly, why would you even say that?? I don't like the early Beatles stuff, but that's completely different from saying they're a great band you don't care for. Let's not start singling out eras/albums, please.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #86 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:46 »

I think that'd be a valid point if Ok Computer and The Bends weren't so often treated with such reverential language.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:10 »

the Kinks

This hurts me... in my heart.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #88 on: 16 Dec 2006, 13:14 »

I have three or four Kinks albums in constant rotation and a few in low rotation. I really love them. If you can't get into them though I pretty much understand.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #89 on: 16 Dec 2006, 15:45 »

I don't like Pelican.  They bore me.  Everyone and their mother, at least in music journalism camp, were creaming themselves over this band last year, and I just don't get it.  I like a lot of instrumental stuff - I've been enjoying Russian Circles a TON this year, just as an example - but something about Pelican never stuck on me...

The problem was probably that they have one alright song which they did a long while back and then tons of unimaginative Hydrahead-by-numbers crap. They just don't know how to write a decent riff, and with that kind of music that's just a wee bit of a hindrance. Humanfly, Men In Search Of The Perfect weapon and tons more do it so much better, but Pelican are on the big label so they get the attention.

Though surprisingly Tusk, the grind band featuring Pelican members from a while back, is excellent.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #90 on: 16 Dec 2006, 17:11 »

I have three or four Kinks albums in constant rotation and a few in low rotation. I really love them. If you can't get into them though I pretty much understand.

My old art teacher said he played drums for the Kinks when they were just getting started, but quit 'cos they 'weren't going anywhere'

This may be just a story but quite funny if it's true

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #91 on: 16 Dec 2006, 17:34 »

I hate bands like RHCP and Led Zepplin that everyone verbally masturbates over in society.

Kar, you love the Meteors and hate Oasis? Marry me now. You can decide on who has to wear the dress.

I think you'll find all real people hate Oasis.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #92 on: 16 Dec 2006, 21:43 »

I'm convinced that in this day and age, people who say they still like Oasis are either bots made by a sad, lonely ex-NME writer or say they like Oasis when they really meant Olivia Tremor Control.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #93 on: 16 Dec 2006, 22:39 »

They are a joke. As people at least. But I still listen to them, dammit! And if they break up, it's like a piece of my childhood breaking up really.

Besides, I quite liked some of their last album...

camelpimp

« Reply #94 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:12 »

I don't think I've ever listened to an Oasis song that I know of.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #95 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:30 »

I don't think I've ever listened to an Oasis song that I know of.

You managed to escape Wonderwall somehow? What's your secret?

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #97 on: 17 Dec 2006, 03:52 »

Besides, I quite liked some of their last album...

I'd absolutely prefer to hear Oasis over Coldplay or the Killers.
I have no idea why.

To be fair, The Killers rip-off Oasis, who are a glorified tribute band (admittedly for multiple bands) as it is. It's kind of like taking heroin by drinking someone else's blood.

Rocinante

« Reply #98 on: 17 Dec 2006, 07:14 »

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #99 on: 17 Dec 2006, 07:38 »

Rush.

Can I ask why?

What about the voice of Geddy Lee?? How did it get so high?? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy...??

I know him, and he does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up