THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 06:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands you love, that no one has ever heard of.  (Read 116377 times)

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Bands you love, that no one has ever heard of.
« Reply #100 on: 08 Jun 2007, 15:29 »

Man, I just can't get into the Angelic Process band you guys are raving about.  There's too much white noise as opposed tonal fuzz that the shoegazers get.  That and they don't know how to use reverb and use way too much of it.  And it's the same chord progressions over and over.

And I hate how a metal band is considered "complex" because they use classical instruments (like with Unexpect).  If anything, I would consider that eclectic.  I know it's not the most complex metal band out there, but Norma Jean is one of my favorites.  Everything from their rhythms and time signiatures to their atonality and dissonance is complex. 

But anyways, if you guys want complex music, listen to Peter Maxwell Davies' "Eight Pieces for a Mad King".  Or anything by John Zorn.  Henryk Gorecki's "Symphony No. 3" is also amazing. 

One of my favorite electronic groups is Efterklang.  And they're on myspace so you guys can listen to it.  http://www.myspace.com/efterklang

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #101 on: 08 Jun 2007, 22:42 »

There's too much white noise as opposed tonal fuzz that the shoegazers get.  That and they don't know how to use reverb and use way too much of it.  And it's the same chord progressions over and over.

That's the bit that we love.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #102 on: 08 Jun 2007, 23:25 »

Norma Jean isn't metal.

Also, since when did complexity mean something was good. I can see the argument for virtuosity, but complexity is a completely different thing, and also, to be frank, something like Whitehouses 'Great White Death' is probably as 'complex' as anything ever released by Zorn.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Scytale

« Reply #103 on: 08 Jun 2007, 23:47 »

on the subject of obscure bands I've been enjoying Chiasm lately

http://www.myspace.com/chiasm

I got into them through a computer game of all things, pretty good stuff, industrial/electronica with female vocals

browny

« Reply #104 on: 09 Jun 2007, 11:01 »

my favorite band that no one has ever heard of.

[i searched the forum and it has only been mentioned once]

TUB RING
they're from Chicago

"Tub Ring is a tornado of genres mixing punk, classical, surf, a-capella, hard-core, pop, and whatever else crosses their path into one cohesive blend of rock. "

^that's no lie =]

http://www.myspace.com/tubring
http://www.tubring.com

you need to check them out and definitely see them live.
they are amazing people, too.

:-D
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2007, 11:04 by browny »

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #105 on: 09 Jun 2007, 11:03 »

As for Norma Jean, let me just say: Oh yeah, I like Botch.

North of America, a band that I've been whoring around for ages. They're awesome, half-way between Pavement, Polvo, Shellac, Fugazi and At the Drive-In (depending on the album) http://www.myspace.com/northofamericaband

American Heritage. Metal. Just loud, chaotic and really pissed. It's a bit like getting crushed by steamroller. http://myspace.com/americanheritage

Also, .22 are really good.

MysticalChicken

• Plantmonster
« Reply #106 on: 09 Jun 2007, 14:27 »

TUB RING
they're from Chicago

I've heard of them.  I've been trying to find their CD.
Quote from: Jeff7
Clothing designer:

"Oh my god, you know what pants totally need? TEETH! Sharp, metal teeth, right at the crotch! And these teeth will be crushed together by a sliding wedge! Yes, this is totally what pants have been missing."

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #107 on: 09 Jun 2007, 17:43 »

Well, I know my wording is kind of weird, but I didn't mean to say that Norma Jean was a metal band.  Sorry about the confusion.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #108 on: 09 Jun 2007, 19:42 »

The Clouds.

I'm presuming nobody has heard of them because I've been trying to torrent some of their stuff lately and I haven't been able to find it anyway. They were an indie pop band back in the 90s, and if you've listened to Triple J much in the last five years, you might have heard some of Jodi Phillis' solo stuff, but tracking down their CD's is a bit of a pain.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #109 on: 09 Jun 2007, 21:31 »

Well, I know my wording is kind of weird, but I didn't mean to say that Norma Jean was a metal band.  Sorry about the confusion.

Good, because I was about to tear you a new one, but I decided to wait and not come off like a dick.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #110 on: 10 Jun 2007, 02:11 »

I know it's not the most complex metal band out there, but Norma Jean is one of my favorites.

No seriously how is that not saying Norma Jean is a metal band. I await a detailed explanation.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

John Curtin

« Reply #111 on: 10 Jun 2007, 06:59 »

Couple of great Melbourne bands that people in their particular 'scenes' might know:

The Basics: These guys do this really awesome 60s thing.  Like, it's absolutely unaffected, which might not be understandable from the perspective of someone who's just heard about them as a band that 'do the Beatles and the Stones and the Kinks and the Police' - I mean, that sounds like one of the most affected things ever, but they absolutely pull it off.  Just really good songs, with nice three-part harmonies.  Their drummer is Wally de Backer, who you may know as Gotye.

They just released (last month) their new album Stand Out / Fit In, which is pretty damn good.  Their earlier EPs (especially For Girls Like You) are better, and from what I've heard (I live in Perth and haven't experienced it, since I only heard about them since my last trip to Melbourne) they are a really killer live band.

Reverend Funk and the Horns of Salvation: Aside from having pretty much the best band name ever, these guys really have the funk (something a little different to the Basics).  They're a fairly permanent fixture at the ultra-hip Manchester Lane jazz club in Melbourne, and unlike the Basics, I have experienced their show, and it is really really great.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to get hold of their records unless you are actually in Melbourne, as I got them at their show.  But yeah these guys are a really excellent funk band (at least by Australian standards; admittedly the funk scene here is not huge), who know to have, and (more importantly) show the audience a good time.  If you have a chance to check them out you are guaranteed to enjoy yourself unless you are, you know, dead.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2007, 07:02 by John Curtin »

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #112 on: 10 Jun 2007, 07:53 »

No seriously how is that not saying Norma Jean is a metal band. I await a detailed explanation.

Well, since I'm essentially getting attacked by people here, I might as well defend myself.

If you go back and look what I wrote, I originally said that, "I know it's not the most complex metal band out there, but Norma Jean is one of my favorites.  Everything from their rhythms and time signiatures to their atonality and dissonance is complex."  Yes, it's confusing, but it will make sense.  A lot of people were listing off all these really complex metal bands here, including the Unexpect band.  I figured that since so many bands like this were being mentioned that a lot of people liked this complex metal here.  So I then made the statement, intending to say that this band isn't exactly a complex metal band like so many of you seem to like, but Norma Jean is a band you might find that you like.  Of course I know Norma Jean isn't a straight up metal band.  That's why I like it.  Being a drummer, I get bored with three minutes of straight sixteenth notes in the double bass and D power chords.  Norma Jean fits better into the metalcore genre (just to show that I know music), being more towards the hardcore end of the two.  I'm sure some metalheads will come here and say that Norma Jean isn't metalcore but that it's hardcore.  And to that I say that hardcore is the old punk style.  And Norma Jean definitely isn't punk.

So yeah, again sorry for the weird wording.  But I know what I'm talking about, so take it easy.

--Ryan

Scytale

« Reply #113 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:19 »

I can't really judge since I've never listened to Norma Jean, a good friend of mine (who has sufficently different tastes to me) likes them a lot, i think they are a similar style to Alexisonfire since he mentions both bands in the same sentenace a lot.

To keep this on topic another and I've been getting into lately is Countess, they been around for a while but I don't think many people outside a few select metal circles really knows them. Really good raw Black metal from Holland, they have a lot of albums out my favorites are 'Book of the Heretic', 'Heilig Vuur' and 'Shining Swords of Hate'.

browny

« Reply #114 on: 11 Jun 2007, 15:17 »

TUB RING
they're from Chicago

I've heard of them.  I've been trying to find their CD.

it's on their website... or find them on the road. LOL

StGabe

« Reply #115 on: 28 Jul 2007, 15:34 »

Riddle of Steel- http://www.myspace.com/riddleofsteelband - Prog-rock with a small dose of cheese and irony, (but you knew that by the Conan refernce in the name).

Bumping this thread to give some more enthusiastic support for Riddle of Steel.  They've got a great prog sound that both reminds me of a lot of music I loved in the 90's.  I did a search to see if anyone had mentioned them here and this is all I came up with -- so yes, not enough people have head of them!  Check out "Deeper Still" and "This is a House of Lies" on http://www.myspace.com/riddleofsteelband . The band is currently mixing a new CD which should should be great.

Now to add something new, let me recommend The Big Sleep.  Described as "psychedelic" and "post rock" you can hear a lot of modern influences mixed with references back to Zeppelinesque rock (whatever that means  :-P).  They've released one full-length album which is very hit-and-miss but contains a few real gems.  Check out two of the better tracks here and here.  6 out of 10 tracks on their first album are instrumental but the understated vocals on "Murder" compliment their sound very well.  I'm hoping that these guys keep going and put out some more polished music in the future.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #116 on: 28 Jul 2007, 17:17 »

sleepytime gorilla museum.  they rock.  think avant guarde prog-metal. lol.

another way i've heard them described is, if you were to go back to the 1920s and explain in words what metal sounded like, but didn't let them listen to it, and got musicians together to play it without the benefit of modern instruments, you'd have SGM.

edit: i realize now how hipster-snob this post sounded.  i really didn't mean it to  :roll:  but, they really are good musicians.  they just have some strange sensabilities.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2007, 12:06 by SusurrusIgnoramus »
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #117 on: 28 Jul 2007, 17:22 »

I hate this thread. Really.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Shadows Collide

« Reply #118 on: 29 Jul 2007, 03:57 »

This thread makes me feel in awe of the amount of music out there that's awesome and I might not ever hear.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #119 on: 29 Jul 2007, 04:17 »

Go to the sendspace thread to find awesome music that you can hear then.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #120 on: 29 Jul 2007, 18:54 »

I am a fan of Cinema Strange, they're pretty obscure and bizarre.  Catacomb Kittens is my absolute favourite song by them.
Also Zombina and the Skeletones, I don''t know if anyone here has heard of them.  Nobody Likes You When You're Dead is one of my favourites of theirs, also Meteorite.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #121 on: 30 Jul 2007, 22:48 »

Norma Jean fits better into the metalcore genre

Which is probably why they are so dangerous.  Seriously, you will turn into a toad if you continue to like metalcore.  Toads like metalcore.  Metalcore is for toads.  It's toad music.  I don't think it can be said any clearer than that.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Baggy

« Reply #122 on: 31 Jul 2007, 08:07 »

Mason Proper - Awesome band from Alpena (bumfucknowhere), Michigan, they tour the midwest quite a bit. I just caught them in Chicago last week.  http://www.masonproper.com  They have a full album out, though I'm not sure if it's on a label or not.

Ra Ra Riot - Really good indie rock band. From Syracuse, NY. http://www.rarariot.com  They only have a short EP out, but its all good stuff.

So Long Forgotten - I have to plug this band because my roommate is in it, but that aside they are amazing, are just finishing a national tour next week, and are getting signed onto a record label as soon as the details are worked out.  http://www.myspace.com/solongforgotten

Okay that's enough.  If I were better at describing music I could tell you more, but I can't do it justice so you're better off just checking it out yourself.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #123 on: 31 Jul 2007, 19:49 »

Posted on: July 28, 2007, 08:22:40 PM
Posted by: TheFuriousWombat
Insert Quote
I hate this thread. Really.

Posted on: July 29, 2007, 06:57:06 AM
Posted by: Shadows Collide
Insert Quote
This thread makes me feel in awe of the amount of music out there that's awesome and I might not ever hear.

Posted by: öde
Insert Quote
Go to the sendspace thread to find awesome music that you can hear then.

This thread would be much better if everyone who was going to post in it, posted in the Sendspace thread instead.

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #124 on: 01 Aug 2007, 08:50 »

the Mountain Goats. People in these boards probably know of them, but NOBODY of dozens I've queried have ever heard of them. And I do hang out in very diverse circles, indie, alternative, vegans, gamers, metalheads you name it, I know someone in it. Even when I met Americans into indie or alternative music they don't seem to have head of Darnielle's oeuvre :(

Ah well, that's what I'm there for, to set them straight :)
we are the universe made manifest

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #126 on: 01 Aug 2007, 09:09 »

I am aware that the Mountain Goats are out there, that they show up in the media and stuff. In the United States.

At any rate,  here in Ireland, where I live, nobody seems to have ever heard of them.

BS

« Reply #127 on: 01 Aug 2007, 10:36 »

No one I know knows the Dropkick Murphys.

MlKE

« Reply #128 on: 01 Aug 2007, 11:07 »

I don't know if I enjoy the dropkick murphy's all that much, maybe if i drank and pretended every day was st. patrick's day....

a couple bands like The Coma Lillies (post-metal), Secondsmile (emo) and Film School (indie) I've told a ton of my friends about and they've enjoyed them, but I honestly couldn't tell you how popular they are on the internetz, because I don't track popularity of good bands very well.

Khatt

« Reply #129 on: 01 Aug 2007, 12:04 »

Tangerine Dream is pretty great. They're like an ambiant electronic band. Not always, they have instruments as well, but they're really interesting. Imogen Heap also has that same sort of feel, but more with paino.

Also, John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers has some really amazing solo projects. Be careful in looking for his stuff though, if you find music from his... I think first two CD's, they were for heroin money when he was an addict. He should not be allowed to sing while on heroin. I suggest the album Shadows Collide With People. Curtains is really great as well.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2007, 12:07 by Khatt »

BS

« Reply #130 on: 01 Aug 2007, 13:19 »

Thievery Corporation. Reverant. Dark Sol. A Forest Mighty Black. The Vandals. (Which is shocking)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #131 on: 01 Aug 2007, 14:02 »

At any rate,  here in Ireland, where I live, nobody seems to have ever heard of them.

My friend in my town lent me an album of theirs.  Anyways dude, the average dope on the street hasn't heard of Sonic Youth or even the Pixies, but they're pretty well-known bands.  We're talking about really effing obscure bands.

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #132 on: 02 Aug 2007, 01:37 »

My friend in my town lent me an album of theirs.  Anyways dude, the average dope on the street hasn't heard of Sonic Youth or even the Pixies, but they're pretty well-known bands.  We're talking about really effing obscure bands.

No, I'm aware of that. But I wasn't talking about the random dope on the streets, I'm including a lot of indie-oriented Americans who, for christ's sakes, are even into alt.country and have never heard of the Mountain Goats.

But yeah, I suppose they're not indie enough because they show up in Rolling Stone, effing whatever.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #133 on: 02 Aug 2007, 12:46 »

indie-oriented Americans

There aren't as many of those as you think.

MlKE

« Reply #134 on: 02 Aug 2007, 17:48 »

the only people I hang out with are indie-orientated. And none of them come from different countries, so I wouldn't call them anything but Americans.

although, the girl next door, who i'm kinda dating, saw my Russian Circles shirt, and thought it said Russian Circus, and she laughed. :\

Kosh

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Life Effect
« Reply #135 on: 03 Aug 2007, 00:53 »

indie-oriented Americans

There aren't as many of those as you think.

Probably many more than indie-oriented Irish.

Man, I should really quit it with the italics but they are seriously turning me on.

MlKE

« Reply #136 on: 03 Aug 2007, 16:35 »

you know what else is turning you on?

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #137 on: 04 Aug 2007, 00:25 »

I am digging Ash Bowie's projects Libraness and Fan Modine.

Mr.Mage

« Reply #138 on: 04 Aug 2007, 20:48 »

There are several bands I really like that I think are unknown, but I may be wrong.
First is my all-time favorite artist: Warren Zevon.   http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=161121753
The general category Zevon falls into is rock, but he once said it was more like Heavymetal folk.
Next are some semi-local rockers called Subcurrent http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=19495191

Then there are some comedy-song artists
Flight of the Conchords: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=75614314
Then there is the more geeky Jonathan Coulton http://www.jonathancoulton.com/

Lastly there are Drist and The Bags, but you should know about them if you play the Guitar Hero series.

vxgas

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #140 on: 05 Aug 2007, 21:52 »

http://www.myspace.com/jeanlucband  is a friend of mine's band...Fivesies is a nice little song.

And Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's name was taken from a group of dadaists in the 1910's, oddly enough.  Wikipedia, the font of useless knowledge.  I shall one day be the next Ken Jennings.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

rhinohelicopter

« Reply #141 on: 08 Aug 2007, 00:00 »

Aside form Flaming Ostrich who may have also been at the show I went to, nobody's gonna know this unless they're from New Mexico. The band is The City is The Tower.  www.myspace.com/thecityisthetower.  They broke up earlier this year because their drummer left to move to Georgia to try to join Circle Takes The Square.

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
« Reply #142 on: 08 Aug 2007, 00:13 »

All-Time Quarterback!!

At least no one I talk to has ever heard of it.
Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #143 on: 08 Aug 2007, 01:44 »

The Bad Plus. http://www.myspace.com/badplus  I'm not really sure if these guys qualify for this thread as I have no idea how popular they really are, but a quick forum search yielded no results so what the hell.  They're most well known for doing jazzed up covers of various rock/pop songs, but have some good originals as well.  Check out "Flim" for a nice little cover of Aphex Twin.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #144 on: 08 Aug 2007, 03:10 »

Their covers are better than their actual songs, I find.

See: "Iron Man" and "Velouria" off of Give.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #145 on: 08 Aug 2007, 04:38 »

Plankton.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #146 on: 08 Aug 2007, 08:37 »

Johnny, if  by that you mean that their covers are better than their original compositions, well then yes and no.  Their non-cover work can be a bit hit or miss, but "And Now We Test Our Powers of Observation" off of Give is probably my favorite song by them.  I realized that they released a new album which has covers of Rush and Tears for Fears on it.... sigh, another thing I have to get now.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #147 on: 08 Aug 2007, 10:39 »

Killola

Axe Girl

Kenotia

Paramore

I'm aware that Paramore have a large US following, but they're practically unheard of in the UK, save a few people who are truly brilliant.

I do know that there are few people who've heard of Axe Girl and Kenotia, and they're both worth looking into, if you're into chick-rock. Axe Girl have a very ska-punk sound about them and are very listenable. Kenotia remind me a great amount of Paramore.

I'm sure there's more bands I listen to, as whenever I reel off my favourite bands everyone says to me "who the hell?", but these are the ones that stick in my head.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2007, 07:09 by Gemmwah »
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Phalanxe

• Not quite a lurker
  • !
« Reply #148 on: 08 Aug 2007, 10:42 »

Lite.  You'll love it.
http://myspace.com/liteband

Baggy

« Reply #149 on: 08 Aug 2007, 11:58 »

All-Time Quarterback!!

At least no one I talk to has ever heard of it.

Maybe surprisingly, I have heard of them!  I one of their albums actually (not sure if they have more than one). 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up