THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AusCon-2009 is much more serious business / Rizzo thinks you're ok.  (Read 65888 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

There was talk of an Australia con thing in the Sydney meet up thread. So lets do it!

Who's keen?
Where? Sydney was suggested as this was reasonably central for everyone/everything. I mean, most of you are based in Sydney.
When's good? I'm thinking February, early or late is ideal for me but other people matter also! I'm going to Japan mid Feb so I can hopefully make a stop over before or after :D
What's happening? Given that there are only 15ish regular posters spread across Australia and New Zealand it hardly makes sense to try and do anything more complex than an extended hanging out session. However, throw your ideas in here, all suggestions are good.

So, would various posters from Aus and NZ be keen to meet up in Sydney, Februaryish 2009?
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2008, 02:14 by Rizzo »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

I'm totally up for it. February sounds like a good time for me as well, I'll even be in the country!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Sure, why not. Wait, isn't that peak humidity season in Sydney? Slogan: SydneyCon 2009: Sweat it up, baby!

I would think that seven months is plenty of time to have a bunch of commemorative t-shirts printed.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

riz... i feel like you're mocking me. just for that i'm not going to your sydney thing.

(i really want to go to your sydney thing.)
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I might be up for this, if you guys would just sack up and move your god forsaken island closer to proper civilization.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Gridgm

• Beyoncé

I might be up for this, if you guys would just sack up and move your god forsaken island closer to proper civilization.

does the stick come up your ass as a class feature or do you have to install it yourself?
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I live in Australia.

I'll be the one standing around saying "Is it can be coffee tiem nao?"

0bsessions

• Quiki
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

does the stick come up your ass as a class feature or do you have to install it yourself?

I have never had an opinion of you but with this post you are placed firmly on my list of awesome people.

Please, continue!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer

February sounds great

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

Due to a somewhat startling co-incidence I will be in Australia in February 2009.  I should probably be noted down as being "in" on this.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Sure, why not. Wait, isn't that peak humidity season in Sydney? Slogan: SydneyCon 2009: Sweat it up, baby!

I would think that seven months is plenty of time to have a bunch of commemorative t-shirts printed.

If we're going with that slogan, I think it has to be commemorative lycra leotards.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

0bsessions

• Quiki

If they did move to Scandinavia, the Netherlands or Switzerland you'd still have to fly pretty far to attend.

Still not as bad as where it is. From the eastern US, Australia is something like a 22 hour flight. I'd love to see Australia some day, but twenty-two hours on a plane is just not something I could ever picture myself being willing to do.

Now, if they were to move the island somewhere between Europe and the US, that'd be pretty bitchin'.
JON MADE ME GAY

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

Nah, it'd be a cold shithole like New Zealand then...
Once I've sorted out my fares to Japan I should be able to provide possible dates! :D
I'm also gonna be applying for UNSW and Sydney University so this might be a moving over to Australia party for me as well.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L

Jon, take a flight to Hong Kong.  Spend a couple days there taking in the local culture.  Then take a flight to Sydney.

One the way back stop in at Hawaii.  Spend a couple days relaxing in the sun before heading home.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

I am pretty sure I will be able to do this. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do this for under $350 + spending money. I think early February would be better, my uni semester starts on the 23rd (though I've done 8 weeks of all these units anyway, so I can probably arrange to be lax on that).
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.

Can we please not call it sydneycon or ozcon, it's not a convention :P It's a meetup of regular internet folks. Southern hemisphere reprezent!
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

Who said anything about convention? This is an opportunity to be CONdescending to the Americans and their CONventions :D
Besides, a meetup doesn't seem official enough. Needs more bigness.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU

Synonyms of 'convention'

assembly, caucus, conference, congress, council, custom, gathering, meeting
convocation, crowd, gathering, group, meeting, muster, troop
colloquium, discussion, parley, seminar

Synonyms of 'party'
affair, celebration, festivity, fete, function, gala, occasion, soiree
carnival, celebration, colorful, feast, festal, festival, fete, fiesta, function, shindig

I personally like the sound of the "The Sydney Affair".

Inlander

• coprophage

You forgot "shindig".

Also possibly "debacle". Let's keep our options open here!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I have stated numerous times how in on this I am.

I'll be the one standing around saying "Is it can be coffee tiem nao?"

I'll be the one answering "yes yes oh please yes"
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé

i'm starting to feel bad for living in melbourne as i'm nto sure i can make it
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

February is fine with me. I can easily be in Sydney in February. I may be a bit money tight in January - planning a trip to Melbourne for then I think.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

Dude... I'll be coming from New Zealand, via Japan. What's your excuse?

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer

Sydney Shindig sounds good, quite jovial and it also rhymes alliterates!

!!! Fatty @ 1:07:58
sydney shindig DOES NOT RHYME 1:08:02
it alliterates!
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2008, 08:11 by Aztex »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

I see what you did there.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

If its during the weekend and I have minimal homework I'm in/up for a Sydney meet-up.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Guys you know I'm dying to come back, I will of course be totally in on this.

Maybe I should come back for another visit sometime before as well.  I have decided I like Newcastle/Sydney and I miss you all already.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

0bsessions

• Quiki

Jon, take a flight to Hong Kong.  Spend a couple days there taking in the local culture.  Then take a flight to Sydney.

One the way back stop in at Hawaii.  Spend a couple days relaxing in the sun before heading home.

Actually, this is how I've planned to do it. The unfortunate thing is that, honestly speaking, I'll probably long since be out of contact with most of the cool Aussies on this forum before I ever undertake such an expensive venture. I can't imagine being able to afford a trip like that before I'm thirty (A good six years off and it'd probably be well later than that), but it is most definitely something I'd love to do. Not necessarily even Hong Kong, but if I were to make a trip to Australia in my life I'd probably want it on a summer long trip. Start off in western Europe, then down to Israel or something, then on to China or Japan and then to Australia before heading to the western US and then home.

If I got into teaching, as I've been considering again lately, it's something I'd love to do what with summers off and all.
JON MADE ME GAY

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

So, who is excited?
Basically I'm just bumping this!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

The unfortunate thing is that, honestly speaking, I'll probably long since be out of contact with most of the cool Aussies on this forum before I ever undertake such an expensive venture. I can't imagine being able to afford a trip like that before I'm thirty

are you saying you won't be internet friends with us anymore in 6 years?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza

Hey I'm in Melbourne and I'm as sure as I can be at this early stage that I will be going to What-Ever-We-Are-Calling-This-Gathering. I don't know how much flight from mel to syd and back would be, but it can't be too expensive (I hope).

Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU

Virgin Blue! Get in early! When we set a date, it will sure to be after school starts! Non-peak yay!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.

I'm looking at 280ish (student flights, no other shopping around) Perth to Sydney return. Melbourne to Sydney should be pretty affordable, especially if you don't mind a little discomfort on the plane. Does anyone have any idea where they'd be staying or know of any backpackers type places they'd reccomend?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

I have one couch. A maximum of two people can sleep on it but my place is small and since my brother will actually be in the country (presumably) I'd prefer only one person to crash here. First one to call it gets it, I guess.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

We've got a couple of couches as well. My housemates should be fine with people staying so long as you're not a junky/homophobe/allergic to dogs.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Jimmy: Fuckin' DIBS

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

I'm calling a couch at Violet Dove's, and promise not to get too drunk at this.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

For those looking for cheap accommodation that isn't someone's couch, I'd suggest perhaps a YHA. They are very reasonable share accommodation and if you can get a couple of you together you could share a room without too much hassle.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU

Well, I know it's early, but I'd like to propose this:

Everyone post their preferred dates for this. Sometime in February. Be generous, it probably won't be perfect for everyone. It would be good to get a general idea of when people are doing what.

After a few weeks - we'll give everyone who doesn't check daily some time, we can finalise a date. Obviously some preferance goes to those who are travelling interstate(and rizzo).

I'm free any time in Feb, but it sounds like 2nd/3rd week will be best.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

February is too far away, sorry my love. I will say so in late January.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat

I'd prefer either the beginning or end of Feb so 6-9th or 20-24th. As it stands my girlfriend and I will be going to Japan for two weeksish and we can stop over in Sydney either on the way there or the way back. If that doesn't work out though I can more than likely save some extra cash and come pretty much straight after I come back from Japan, I love flying so no biggie there :D
What about interstate peoples? What works for you guys?

Inlander

• coprophage

I can do this pretty much whenever. Be aware, however, that in January and February I am prone to sudden severe restrictions on my timetable, depending on whether any of my favourite overseas bands are touring Australia in the summer and, if they are, what dates they announce. So, uh, basically plan a date and if I'd rather go see a band in Melbourne on that weekend then you'll just have to have fun without me.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy

I will probably be going back to uni on the 23rd of February. So before then would be swell. Anytime in the early 3/4s of the month are cool with me though.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

We should have it on the 6th-9th so it can be all about my birthday and I can be the centre of attention hooray.

Seriously though as long as it is before uni goes back (I don't know dates for certain but it would be around the 20th of Feb) I am fine with whenever.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr

As long as it is before March 2nd (which is when uni goes back), and as long as it isn't a Saturday, that is fine with me.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Whenever is good with me. It doesn't look like anyone awesome will ever hire me and I can almost always get time off from my crappy job!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

I mentioned that I have no idea what my life is going to be like in February so I say whenever other people say. I don't care, I'm coming, that's that.

Also it probably seems like a dick move but Harry's post made me think it'd be fun if this came during the summer touring season, and I could catch band(s) doing Easter States-only tours.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I would probably hit up Melbourne for some shows while I was jetsetting around anyway.

I think it is good that we will be hanging out on neutral territory Dovey. I have pissed on too many things in this city to be comfortable showing you around.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Imagine... Pissing on a whole new landscape....

What a world we live in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up