THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Unisex Bathrooms - now with TMI!  (Read 44247 times)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: Unisex Bathrooms - now with TMI!
« Reply #100 on: 08 Dec 2008, 12:48 »

of course, there's a portion of people who would see someone go into the 3rd bathroom door and either wait for them to come out, or follow them in because they are "different."

I think out of all the options available, unisex toilets aren't too bad. If you really care that much about where you are going to LEAVE WASTE, I think you are thinking too much.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #101 on: 08 Dec 2008, 13:55 »

the problem with having a third misc. option is that the majority of the population probably doesn't have a problem with male and female toilets and would continue to use them as per usual, with the result being that the misc toilets end up being the ones obviously intended for and used only by people who don't fit in with the general straight population. the result is that this further segregates lgbt folks from the general population and doesn't actually do anything to reduce fear of these groups, which is what unisex toilets are trying to address in the first place.

it's a bt similar to how a lot of places encourage people to use the term "partner" when talking about their relationships cos it's a nice, asexual term that includes everybody and doesn't reveal sexual orientation or gender. the problem is, almost everyone who uses this term is not straight and so then they become immediately identifiable based on their use of a word which was initially supposed to be helpful, since straight people tend to just say "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". i use the word "partner" instead of "boyfriend" whenever i can and 9 times out of 10 i get the response "oh, i didn't know you were gay". i still say partner cos i like to think there's a point in there somewhere.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #102 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:10 »

I like saying "partner" because it makes me feel like a detective.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #103 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:15 »

it is also perfect for when you want to feel like a cowboy!
or cowgirl. cowperson?

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #104 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:28 »

Cattle herder.

Gilead

« Reply #105 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:31 »

Cattle management technician.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #106 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:32 »

Clint Eastwood

regardless of sex, that is what everyone secretly desires to be. and not the shitty, Million Dollar Baby Eastwood either.

i'm talkin A Fistful of Dollars Eastwood. aka "the man"
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #107 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:43 »

what about gran torino eastwood?
from what i gather, this film is going to be about how clint eastwood punches a lot of people in the face and shoots some other people while being 78 years old. i don't even know if i'll be alive when i'm 78.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #108 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:46 »

I have never known a dude to be uncomfortable peeing when there are women around. I mean, outdoors is a pretty good unisex bathroom and I've never had a problem peein' around girls or dudes. Aside from the GLBT thing, unisex bathrooms would cut down on line time for bathrooms, I'd think. Instead of it being a place to hang out for a lot of women, it could be "pee or poop. wash hands. leave".

I guess the only downside to this, and it's not even a downside, is that bathroom sex would maybe occur more?
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #109 on: 08 Dec 2008, 14:48 »

Uhh, bad link!

Also, Gran Torino hasn't been a Dirty Harry film for a good few years now. It's now about a blue-collar retiree who has to confront his latent racism. Better? Worse? You decide!

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
I guess the only downside to this, and it's not even a downside, is that bathroom sex would maybe occur more?
Pehaps. Perhaps more non-consensual sex would occur. I would think sexual harrassment would definitely skyrocket in many situations.

I know if I were a lady and I was attending a football game I would make sure to relieve myself before the game, so I would not be forced to enter a bathroom with a large number of inebriated men. I recall going to a party once and there were some women who had entered the men's bathroom because the women's bathroom line was long. From the sound of it, the men in the bathroom seemed to assume that the girls were there to dispense sexual favors, as they propositioned the girls quite loudly and exposed themselves to the girls. It was pretty disgusting.

Now, maybe increasing the number of women in such a situation from a few to many would discourage things like that. But the sense that I get is that when you put men and women in a situation where "going about your business" involves removing your clothing in the same room as those of the opposite sex, I think it would increase the likelihood of such instances occurring.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2008, 14:56 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #110 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:05 »

On top of the harassment, drunk guys don't really care where they pee. I've been in bars where guys are pissing in the bathroom trashcan and sink because all the urinals and stalls are taken up.

Then again, this was a large bar and only had 1 urinal and 1 stall
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #111 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:11 »

oh i know gran torino is not a dirty harry film, i am just fascinated by the fact that it is about a very old man who confronts his latent racism by yelling at/beating up/shooting everyone. if i end up watching this for whatever reason, i kind of hope the plot ends up being terrible because i already know i won't be paying attention to that part.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #112 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:18 »

i just pretend that Clint Eastwood stopped making movies after Dirty Harry.

he is really not much of an actor and even if he was, no amount of emoting could save most of the movies he's been in since then.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #113 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:21 »

Unforgiven was pretty ace.

And does he shoot people in Gran Torino? I was under the impression it wasn't that sort of movie.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #114 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:23 »

On top of the harassment, drunk guys don't really care where they pee. I've been in bars where guys are pissing in the bathroom trashcan and sink because all the urinals and stalls are taken up.

Then again, this was a large bar and only had 1 urinal and 1 stall

Man okay I have cleaned a McDonald's bathroom many times and I have some fun stories for you, and these people are SOBER. Or, well, presumably so. I've never served somebody I thought was drunk at the time. Lots of stoners though. The point is, people will not only just not care if they piss on the floor, but they will also *shit in a coffee cup* and leave it in the toilet for all the world to enjoy and for me to clean up. I really hate people who are dicks.

True story: lost my virginity in a dorm bathroom. It had just been reopened after cleaning when we went in, so it wound up being pretty okay. Floor was wet from being mopped and smelled of Pine Sol :)
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #115 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:27 »

Now every time you smell Pine Sol you will be happy. This is good to know
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #116 on: 08 Dec 2008, 15:29 »

i'm not sure actually. he does throw a guy off his lawn and kick him in the face and yell at him a lot, i kind of took it from there.
i do like clint eastwood though, he just weirds me out a lot. like, he had his badass phrase, which i liked, and then he had his serious director phase and there were parts of that i also liked... and then this new film seems to combine those two in a really bizarre way.

sorry to derail the thread! i still want to talk about unisex bathrooms, this thread is getting really interesting.

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #117 on: 08 Dec 2008, 16:13 »

huh, see, I was always that unisex bathrooms were created for areas like college dorms, where the may only be one bathroom on a floor so hey, why not let everyone use it?

shows how much I know. I don't really have a problem with anyone listening to me pooping. I am a dainty pooper.
radical dame

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #118 on: 08 Dec 2008, 16:34 »

I am a fan of Clint Eastwood. I am also a fan of inclusive society.
I am not a fan of the ostracization of specific elements of society.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #119 on: 08 Dec 2008, 17:08 »

the problem with having a third misc. option is that the majority of the population probably doesn't have a problem with male and female toilets and would continue to use them as per usual, with the result being that the misc toilets end up being the ones obviously intended for and used only by people who don't fit in with the general straight population. the result is that this further segregates lgbt folks from the general population and doesn't actually do anything to reduce fear of these groups, which is what unisex toilets are trying to address in the first place.
I'd use them and I'm pretty unambigious. lol I am a woman, who needs to piss about 4x as often as most people but takes about 1/5th of the time to go as most women. Hell, I generally piss quicker than my partner and yes I do wash my hands. I don't really understand how most women take so long. So, yay unisex bathrooms!

it's a bt similar to how a lot of places encourage people to use the term "partner" when talking about their relationships cos it's a nice, asexual term that includes everybody and doesn't reveal sexual orientation or gender. the problem is, almost everyone who uses this term is not straight and so then they become immediately identifiable based on their use of a word which was initially supposed to be helpful, since straight people tend to just say "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". i use the word "partner" instead of "boyfriend" whenever i can and 9 times out of 10 i get the response "oh, i didn't know you were gay". i still say partner cos i like to think there's a point in there somewhere.
Meh, I've heard that is true in the US but over here a lot of people use "partner" as you don't need to get married to have rights any more. I know more people who have partners than are married. And boy/girlfriend just doesn't seem right after a certain amount of time... if you've been living together for 5 years and share everything it just doesn't seem like boy/girlfriend is the right word.

I know if I were a lady and I was attending a football game I would make sure to relieve myself before the game, so I would not be forced to enter a bathroom with a large number of inebriated men. I recall going to a party once and there were some women who had entered the men's bathroom because the women's bathroom line was long. From the sound of it, the men in the bathroom seemed to assume that the girls were there to dispense sexual favors, as they propositioned the girls quite loudly and exposed themselves to the girls. It was pretty disgusting.

Now, maybe increasing the number of women in such a situation from a few to many would discourage things like that. But the sense that I get is that when you put men and women in a situation where "going about your business" involves removing your clothing in the same room as those of the opposite sex, I think it would increase the likelihood of such instances occurring.
Generally I don't think this is as much of an issue as people like to say. OTOH I'd support single-sex bathrooms at stadiums and suchlike, because as you say that is quite a bad environment. In this situation I'd imagine it's going to be safer for a transgendered person to go into the woman's bathroom regardless, or if they pass too well as a man hell you can use the stall.

clockworkjames, I hope you aren't as much of a tosser as you're coming across here. Transphobic twat.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #120 on: 08 Dec 2008, 17:15 »

I like how this thread has evolved so much from the starting post of "doesn't it mean one-sex" to Clint Eastwood and transphobia :lol:
There is no sin except stupidity

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
Re: Unisex Bathrooms.
« Reply #121 on: 08 Dec 2008, 17:17 »

re: pee/poop colors

if you drink alot of grape kool-aid or grape gatorade your dumps turn NEON GREEN. I had a scare senior year of college, but a little bit of internet research brought rest to all my fears. you have to drink a lot of the purple drink though, if you only do it half ass and drink a quart or so, you get a deep forest green instead of neon.

Also, if you eat too much borsch (polish beet soup) it turns your piss orange/red, and your dumps completely beet red. And energy drinks - neon yellow/greenish.
Beets will do this to your pee as well. Turns it a blood red color if you have a certain gene.
Thank you, Biology book.

Telea-Rose

« Reply #122 on: 08 Dec 2008, 17:31 »

It depends on the women.  I don't think it'd be that bad for guys to get a good ass wooping.  The only time I've been unwillfully touched was by my best guy friend and I just couldn't make myself hurt him.  Actually, if you read reports, most women who are raped are done so by someone they know.  I think it really is largely because they don't want to or are just to shocked to hurt their attacker.  I mean most women I know understand how to take down an assailant and the ones who can't don't go places without a friend.

You might have problems at  first with a couple of get your hands off me, but I think it might change some guy's under lying views.  I know all the guy friends, and most of the acquaintances, back in my home town all new not to touch a woman.  If they didn't they never did it again, but then it was funny what stuff we could get away with.  No marks, meant no deal...  (gah sorry bout comma placement... *Shakes fist at commas* I hate them all!)

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
Re: Unisex Bathrooms.
« Reply #123 on: 08 Dec 2008, 17:32 »

re: pee/poop colors

if you drink alot of grape kool-aid or grape gatorade your dumps turn NEON GREEN. I had a scare senior year of college, but a little bit of internet research brought rest to all my fears. you have to drink a lot of the purple drink though, if you only do it half ass and drink a quart or so, you get a deep forest green instead of neon.

Also, if you eat too much borsch (polish beet soup) it turns your piss orange/red, and your dumps completely beet red. And energy drinks - neon yellow/greenish.
Beets will do this to your pee as well. Turns it a blood red color if you have a certain gene.
Thank you, Biology book.

Time to experiment with the foodstuffs! (I may be a couple of hours)

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #124 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:23 »

Honestly I don't like the whole "partner" thing. Not because it's gender neutral, but because it feels too empty and antiseptic to be used in reference to someone you truly care for. I get the same feeling of irritation when people say it that I do when I hear people use internet terminology in daily life. It's meaningless language.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #125 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:27 »

Do words like "myspacey" and "interweb" count as internet terminology? Because those are great words to use in conversation.

Also, I routinely say "google" as a verb. Then again, that one's in the dictionary now so it doesn't count.

ADDITION: I just looked up "google" on urbandictionary. This usage of the term is so great:
A: I'm really hungry.
B: Then go Google the cupboard for some ramen or something.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2008, 18:29 by jhocking »

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #126 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:44 »

I heard one where someone had no idea what the word meant, and he tried to explain it to us as so:

"I so googled my girlfriend all night"
*blank looks*
"you know, like, sex, right?"

Man, time to google the cupboards for some ramen

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #127 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:49 »

Do words like "myspacey" and "interweb" count as internet terminology? Because those are great words to use in conversation.
Nah, more like "epic fail" or "for the win". Or LOLcatisms, for that matter.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #128 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:52 »

What about "owned"? I use that term in meat life, I must admit.

But when people say it out loud as "PWNED" (as in "Holy crap, that guy just got pwned!")... that annoys me.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #129 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:54 »

I have the hideously annoying habit of just saying "lol"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #130 on: 08 Dec 2008, 18:56 »

owned, I can abide by. Pwned, nay.

Lol, if not actually spelled out, can be lived with.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #131 on: 08 Dec 2008, 19:44 »

Nah, more like "epic fail" or "for the win". Or LOLcatisms, for that matter.

Those are two of the worst things anybody could ever say, in my book. It's bad enough on the internet, but it is a million times worse in real life.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #132 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:13 »

Most of the people I know who will say "epic fail" will say it as loud as they can. Even now, I am imagining someone I knew who would say that shit and it is metaphorically making my blood boil.

Edit: Better Hannah?
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2008, 20:23 by PantsFTW »

Nodaisho

« Reply #133 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:26 »

Honestly I don't like the whole "partner" thing. Not because it's gender neutral, but because it feels too empty and antiseptic to be used in reference to someone you truly care for.
I think that is largely based off of usage. Words mean things only because the people saying them and hearing them have them mean something. The meaning to the person saying it could be completely different than the person hearing it. If you were used to saying partner, girlfriend or boyfriend might sound empty and antiseptic.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #134 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:29 »

Jace, I was just saying that you saying it "literally made your blood boil" then that would mean you blood would be actually, boiling and you would be dead. Just saying it is making your blood boil is ok, because it is a metaphor, but saying literally it is clarifying that it actually happened. Literally should not be thrown about willy-nilly, people!

/pedant
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #135 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:53 »

Hannah, I was literally just being a jerk about it. But in the best, literal, way possible. I literally throw literally around like it's just some word. Literally.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #136 on: 08 Dec 2008, 20:57 »

"Literally" is pretty much the only misused word that annoys me and sends me into fits of pedantry. It is for this reason I have trouble watching Jamie Oliver.

(Mr. Pants this is just speaking generally because it came up, and not directed specifically at you or anything)
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #137 on: 08 Dec 2008, 21:08 »

QUIT FLAMING ME VIOLENT DAVE!

(This is the third derailment of this topic)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #138 on: 08 Dec 2008, 23:07 »

This thread isn't being derailed, it's just taking the scenic route.

Nodaisho

« Reply #139 on: 08 Dec 2008, 23:38 »

I don't think I really want to take a scenic route of anything related to bathrooms.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #140 on: 08 Dec 2008, 23:55 »

*<>====D

for the unisex bathroom
also israel

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #141 on: 09 Dec 2008, 07:07 »

I don't think I really want to take a scenic route of anything related to bathrooms.

You're just jealous because your IBS won't afford you the time to take the scenic route.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Siibillam-Law

• Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #142 on: 09 Dec 2008, 12:23 »

IBS prevents you from doing the scenic route of anything

It's so sad...
 :-(

Oh well, rejoice you don't have it
Wooo

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #143 on: 09 Dec 2008, 13:36 »

I was thinking today about how many guys I know that are utterly disgusted if a girl makes a comment about her poop. This is totally because tons of guys can't find a chick hot if they hear her pooping.

(I am saying this as a blanket for some men, I know a lot of guys are bigger than that but..)
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #144 on: 09 Dec 2008, 13:39 »

GIRLS POOP???

D:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #145 on: 09 Dec 2008, 13:41 »

At my college we recently got a new wing built (mostly seems to be glass-fronted offices full of people I didn't even know worked there but that's another story).

One of the things that came with the new wing was a toilet, one of those ones that is just one so it isn't a cubicle, it's like a bathroom you have at home. And on the door there is a little plaque with a picture of a man and a woman holding hands.

I do not feel that they thought this through. The caretaking staff spend lots of their time discouraging couples from entering the toilets together, if you catch my drift. Now there is a sign to encourage it! I would post photos but my camera is on vacation.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Runa

• Emoticontraindication
  • I GOT NUKES!
« Reply #146 on: 09 Dec 2008, 14:00 »

My ex once exclaimed with excitement, "I think it's fucking awesome when chicks fart!" after my best friend bent over and ripped one on her ex...

True story.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #147 on: 09 Dec 2008, 14:49 »

At a university over here apparently there was some furore becuase the transsexual students considered the terms 'male' and 'female' to be descriminatory on the toilet doors. So now it's 'toilets' and 'toilets with urinals.'

YOU CAN PISS STANDING UP INTO A NORMAL TOILET ANYWAY.

And if you really need to try that hard to get offended by something, I think you probably deserve to be offended.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #148 on: 09 Dec 2008, 14:51 »

me and my housemates fart all over each other all the time, it ain't no thang

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #149 on: 09 Dec 2008, 14:55 »

DK: I love how you showed up into a thread four pages in and related an anecdote which is actually the original post.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2008, 17:15 by Slick »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up