THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC - The Movie  (Read 79211 times)

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: QC - The Movie
« Reply #200 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:13 »

I would agree. The idea that, if you're going to make a movie, you need to include all of the major plot points form the beginning of the comic to the present day is going to leave you with a long, incoherent movie. Most frustrating of all, since the comic is ongoing, and Jeph doesn't really break the story at any point, the film would likely just end at some point without any real resolution.

I also think it's worth noting that QC as a specific thing focuses on little moments of daily life. It's not really about a bunch of big stuff happening all at once. Cramming everything into one movie would make for much more of an "everything happens all at once" feel.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Hanner3!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #201 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:27 »

I would agree. The idea that, if you're going to make a movie, you need to include all of the major plot points form the beginning of the comic to the present day is going to leave you with a long, incoherent movie. Most frustrating of all, since the comic is ongoing, and Jeph doesn't really break the story at any point, the film would likely just end at some point without any real resolution.

I also think it's worth noting that QC as a specific thing focuses on little moments of daily life. It's not really about a bunch of big stuff happening all at once. Cramming everything into one movie would make for much more of an "everything happens all at once" feel.

Wouldn't it depend on how it was done? The great thing about Jephs comic is the fact that there is a plot through out the entire thing but there is a solid plot behind even the smallest of moments. He is able to illustrate life in it's most subtle ways.

I think if you're a pretty damn good film maker you could make that happen. Like I think in one of the clips above I saw Hanners or someone in a coat in the background at the coffee shop. If it is Hanners, the director clearly wanted to illustrate that she had indeed been stalking Marten. Very much like the bits of everyones stories in the comics they are all interconnected.

AbsentiaFall

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #202 on: 13 Aug 2011, 15:09 »

Like I think in one of the clips above I saw Hanners or someone in a coat in the background at the coffee shop.

I think you're reading WAAAAAAY too deep into it.
Tonight we ride our black unicorns down the side of an erupting volcano.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #203 on: 13 Aug 2011, 16:59 »

Like I think in one of the clips above I saw Hanners or someone in a coat in the background at the coffee shop.

I think you're reading WAAAAAAY too deep into it.

I dunno ... I think that's an interesting bit of filmmaking, if that's what the filmmaker intended. And if it's just someone in a parka, well, it's just someone in a parka. And absent any resolution of the question in the finished film ... it's the sort of question that occupies classroom and other academic discussions of published works all the time.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #204 on: 15 Aug 2011, 20:42 »

I liked most of the casting in the trailer for the Pyromaniac Studios QC movie, but I thought their Hanners seemed too normal.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Hanner3!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #205 on: 15 Aug 2011, 23:23 »

I liked most of the casting in the trailer for the Pyromaniac Studios QC movie, but I thought their Hanners seemed too normal.

Maybe a bit. I wish she was a bit more twitchy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #206 on: 16 Aug 2011, 00:00 »

None of the Youtube Fayes really rang my Faye bell. To me the Pugnacious Peach needs to be a little larger than life.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #207 on: 16 Aug 2011, 01:14 »

QFT.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Hanner3!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #208 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:20 »

None of the Youtube Fayes really rang my Faye bell. To me the Pugnacious Peach needs to be a little larger than life.

I don't think that we know that much about this Faye. The trailer was more focused on Hanners and Marten. So it's really hard to make that assumption when we haven't even seen her act yet. The only little bit we see of Faye seems to be in the teaser and she was talking about something deep it seemed. We'll just have to see I guess what she has ya know, maybe she isn't a good Faye, but like I said we don't really see any proof as to whether she can act or not and be 'larger then life'.

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #209 on: 16 Aug 2011, 07:57 »

@akronnick
Was that an ironic QFT, as in you don't support any of the comments made so far? I only ask because your "quote for truth" didn't actually quote anything.

akronnick

« Reply #210 on: 16 Aug 2011, 16:50 »

Oh.. Right... Forgot to quote.... oops.

Actually, I was quoting for truth the comment immediately above mine, Cold's comment that Faye should be larger than life.

But since the comment was right there, I didn't quote because, you know, you don't do that, but since......

So, um, yeah. My bad.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #211 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:01 »

[...]

Also, I'm not sure what the movie would be about.  The majority of movies needs some life-altering changes to keep people interested,

Correction: Hollywood insists that a/the main character(s) learn something from their experience.  I remember listening to an interview with someone who worked in the movie industry[1] talking about the difference between selling an idea to the American market and the British market.[2]

[1] I can't remember if it was a director, writer and/or producer.
[2] I'm not sure about this part of the interview but I think the reason why the American film industry insists on that is to show the films moral compass.  However, that part of the interview I'm less certain of so I might be wrong.
Francisco

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #212 on: 20 Aug 2011, 06:55 »

Hollywood films needing a moral compass are the result of the Hays Code that began in the 1930's as an attempt to avoid government censorship. 

After two generations of governing film production, it left one hell of a mark... 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #213 on: 20 Aug 2011, 14:01 »

Hollywood films needing a moral compass are the result of the Hays Code that began in the 1930's as an attempt to avoid government censorship. 

After two generations of governing film production, it left one hell of a mark... 

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #214 on: 22 Aug 2011, 21:34 »

Not least, in its explicit racism, accustoming America, and through Hollywood much of the world, to monochrome casting.  Because, you know, you need a moral compass to steer clear of multi-ethnic casting.  More like an immoral compass! :x
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
Francisco

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #216 on: 23 Aug 2011, 03:17 »

Akima, you might find this interesting:
What I find interesting is that these articles complacently refer to marginalisation of women and ethnic minorities on TV only in the past tense, as if it didn't persist to this day. But what can be expected from someone capable of uttering this drivel: "And most people who have studied the matter will tell you that The Feminine Mystique was, in fact, the start of the women’s movement." Yeah, that's right, he thinks there was no women's movement before 1963... Apparently First Wave Feminism never penetrated his consciousness, and I strongly suspect he's never actually spoken to anyone who has studied the history of the women's movement.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #217 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:20 »

Sorry about that, I should have caught the errors.
Francisco

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #218 on: 23 Aug 2011, 12:48 »

The QC movie, if literally adapted from the comic, would feature an almost all-white cast, exclusively so in the case of the major characters, and only one woman in a professional job, who rarely appears. The male characters are relatively normal, but three of the women are in therapy. The African-American character works a low-paying service job and creepily pursues one of the white wimmen.

In reality Jeph is an enlightened and humane person who is not working to keep minorities down, but it would be all too easy to take offense at the QC cast.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #219 on: 23 Aug 2011, 16:19 »

only one woman in a professional job, who rarely appears.
Granting the "rarely appears" part, I count at least three: Hanners' mother, Dr. Corine, and Sven's lawyer. How many men in QC work "professional jobs"? And how often do they appear? Jeph just isn't interested in writing about lawyers, doctors etc.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #220 on: 23 Aug 2011, 20:58 »

Mm. I'd forgotten about Harriet. I guess being an evil corporate overlord is a profession.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #221 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:16 »

At the very least, it's a full time job with benefits!

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #222 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:29 »

The QC movie, if literally adapted from the comic, would feature an almost all-white cast, exclusively so in the case of the major characters, and only one woman in a professional job, who rarely appears. The male characters are relatively normal, but three of the women are in therapy. The African-American character works a low-paying service job and creepily pursues one of the white wimmen.

In reality Jeph is an enlightened and humane person who is not working to keep minorities down, but it would be all too easy to take offense at the QC cast.

Most movies have a pretty much all-white cast.  Thats nothing new.  The successful Harry Potter series had all its main characters as white, but no one complained.  Or maybe they did, but not loud enough for me to notice.

Considering the majority of the QC cast work low paying service jobs, I don't think other cultures would be too offended about being left out anyways.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #223 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:54 »

To me, it's less important what job the character holds than the character's function in (and therefore importance to) the story. The female characters drive the plot and character development in QC, folks. They're the important ones.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #224 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:06 »

True, dat.  Marten is mainly a lynchpin, holding the social group in our sight, providing a connection between the other characters.  Steve is comic relief, always has been, and I don't see that changing.  Same for Jimbo.  Sven seems to be the closest we get to a plot-mover, as a male character who's gone through some development.  Wil and Angus tie for a close second in my book, but Wil has pretty much disappeared since he and Penelope went into stable orbit.  Any other males are walk-ons, but I think Dale has potential, if Jeph would pursue it. 

lunchmeat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #225 on: 25 Aug 2011, 06:35 »

I vote for puppets.

Preferably sock puppets, but I suppose that paper bags with googly eyes will do if budget constraints are tight.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #226 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:30 »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #227 on: 25 Aug 2011, 18:47 »

Most movies have a pretty much all-white cast.
You mean most American and other Western-made ones do. The Harry Potter movies are cast to reflect the original books, though the author had to make it a condition of agreeing to the movie adaption even to ensure that British white people were cast to play British characters, so its not surprising that non-white actors have so much trouble getting cast in movies adapted from books and other works with non-white characters, or based even on real events in which non-white people actually participated.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #228 on: 25 Aug 2011, 21:14 »

I vote for puppets.

Gerry Anderson's old production company salutes you.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #229 on: 30 Sep 2011, 15:47 »

Michael Cera as Marten, and Pintsize voiced by Bob... Saget????
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #230 on: 30 Sep 2011, 16:45 »

So that's how Saget got into the WCT forum.

And I thought he was simply ubiquitous.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #231 on: 30 Sep 2011, 18:46 »

1. Jeph's comic comments for Number 2025: Questionable Content: LA - "Starring William H. Macy as Marten and Beyonce as Faye."

2. As I said in WCDT 2021-2025, I actually could see Beyonce as Faye Whitaker as an interesting "outside the box" casting choice.  William H. Macy would make a better Henry Reed over Marten Reed, but definitely should be included in a series for which "indie" themes are important.

3. I could also see/hear Bob Saget as Pintsize, his voice tone and comedy experience would be good in the role.

4. An animated movie (or episode series) would be much better because voice-acting opens up a wider range of actors who need not be physically similar to the character.  Kevin Conroy as DCAU Batman, Mark Hamill as DCAU Joker, and Clancy Brown as DCAU Lex Luthor being the best examples.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2011, 20:00 by pendrake »

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #232 on: 30 Sep 2011, 19:50 »

Frankly I don't have any real preferences for either Marten or Pintsize in a live actoin QC, but you just know Cera is going to be one of the first people to come to mind to the producers etc. as Marten.  And Saget as Pintsize would be typical Hollywood thinking it's clever casting.

An animated QC?  Billy West, John DiMaggio, Grey DeLisle, Jennifer Hale, Cree Summer, and Tara Strong would all show up in it because they're all pretty ubiquitous in US voiced animated productions.  It would probably be a tossup over whether Hale and DeLiisle would play Faye and Dora, or vice versa, although they might decide Strong should do a variation of her Raven voice from Teen Titans for Faye.  Maybe Cree Summer as Tai or Raven.  I can imagine Niicole Sullivan in some role.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #233 on: 06 Oct 2011, 22:01 »

Thinking about it a bit more if someone did a QC film they'd probably just cherrypick various elements from the series and come up with an original script.  Part of it would probably revolve around Hannelore having supposedly humourous freakouts as a result of Pintsize doing something gross to her or around her. They'd probably go with a typical Hollywood love triangle story, with on-screen Dora being an annoying mix of original Dora and Raven, or in some other way being made annoying to the viewer so they'd root for the "right" girl, Faye.  If they were really lazy they'd do a makeover bit with Faye, where she loses her glasses, piles on the makeup, and starts wearing overtly sexy clothes just in time to "save" Marten from the clutches of Dora.  Someone like Christopher Walken or Michael Keaton would appear as the gruff middle aged guy who gives Marten advice on how to run his life, most of which would just cause problems until the one bit that helps him realise he really wants Faye.  And there would be the inevitable cameo appearance from whatever indie band du jour they could scare up, playing whatever tune they contributed to the pop song soundtrack.

akronnick

« Reply #234 on: 06 Oct 2011, 22:47 »

The above post is why I remain secure in the knowledge that a QC Major Motion Picture is never gonna happen.

If it did, it would be a tragedy.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #235 on: 06 Oct 2011, 23:29 »

"It's not safe there."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #236 on: 06 Oct 2011, 23:42 »

...Someone like Christopher Walken or Michael Keaton would appear as the gruff middle aged guy who gives Marten advice on how to run his life, most of which would just cause problems until the one bit that helps him realise he really wants Faye. 

That's what they'd use Jimbo for.  I can just see Christopher Walken or Michael Keaton in the trucker hat with the sleazy seventies 'stache...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. 

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #237 on: 07 Oct 2011, 06:56 »

Yeah.  It would probably be Keaton these days, as Walken might be a bit too expensive, and Keaton's career has fallen enough that he played second fiddle in a film to Lindsey Lohan.  So playing second fiddle to whatever up and coming actors they cast, and a CGI robot that does poop jokes, wouldn't be a stretch.

elddimsnoitcnuf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Teh! Meh! Bleh~
« Reply #238 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:10 »

Maybe we could start with a MV of one of Deathmole's songs

Then a film surrounding the lives of the band members of this fictional band...

But then the material we could work with would then be very few. There's next to nothing we could garner from Amir's life- that could be explored and expanded upon...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #239 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:41 »

Carl Reiner stars in "This is Deathmole."

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #240 on: 10 Oct 2011, 15:19 »

I think this argument about a full-length movie or a TV series being the better format is missing a trick. We have a meandering, open-ended, episodic plot line about a bunch of quirky misfits, and (presumably) a fairly low budget, so the solution seems obvious.

Do it as a web series, just like The Guild.

Weekly 5-10 minute episodes where short scenes with punchlines work well, against a background of coffee, indie music and angst instead of gaming and angst. Run it as long as you need, just like the QC comic. It's perfect. You could even do a Guild crossover episode with Marigold! (especially as Wil Wheaton exists in the QCverse).

With a big enough audience, you could also release a DVD every time you've accumulated enough eps to fill it - preferably with a bit of bonus material as a reward for purchasing (rather like the comics/book collections).
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #241 on: 10 Oct 2011, 18:07 »

Completely offtopic, I thought it was fun to see a username of "Binary" next to a post count of 256.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
Francisco

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #243 on: 07 Jun 2012, 01:58 »

I've seen the first, a long time ago - but this time, it came over with a strong Scott Pilgrim vibe...  The second is new to me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #244 on: 07 Jun 2012, 03:26 »

A few months ago I saw snippets of the second one worked into a trailer.  From what I remember it went from "Faye's tazer" to him reaching his apartment then a "coming soon" title and voiceover.
Francisco

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #245 on: 07 Jun 2012, 03:35 »

Never seen either. They're both pretty good; the acting is a bit wooden, but they're well made, and it's cool to see these strips in live-action.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up