THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QC - The Movie  (Read 79152 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: QC - The Movie
« Reply #50 on: 06 Sep 2010, 00:18 »

In the garage next to the flying car.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 Sep 2010, 01:59 »

It sells for USA $125,000 including a training course in using it.
http://www.tecaeromex.com/ingles/RB-i.htm

or

http://www.jetman.ch/?page_id=24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMjuzy68hw0

can we acknowledge that this is the future now?
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 02:01 by J »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #52 on: 06 Sep 2010, 03:01 »

can we acknowledge that this is the future now?

NO!

I want to fly on the Pan-Am Space Clipper to the wheel shaped space station where I can make a video-phone call before I catch the shuttle to the Moon-base!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #53 on: 06 Sep 2010, 03:23 »

Oh. come on! Whaddya think this is, the year 2000 or something?

Oh, wait…
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

akronnick

« Reply #54 on: 06 Sep 2010, 03:31 »

Yeah, that's right, it's 2010.

"The Year We Make Contact" my ass.

Arthur C. Clarke was full of shit.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #55 on: 06 Sep 2010, 06:19 »

Still.  My Dad did point something out to me a while back.

Y'know how in lots of old-school science fiction flicks or TV shows, there'd be the Holy MacGuffin of plot devices... Data Chips.  A tiny, easy-to-lose handful of plasticy metal thingies that held the secrets that could save the entire country / world / galaxy / universe / multiverse.  The heroes would spend the entire movie chasing these things down because of the precious data held on them, and the secrets they'd reveal, and how important it all was.  And then they'd finally get them, and plug them into something, and this gigantic screen would show the recording of the precious Data and it would have such a big important influence on the plot.  Remember that?

USB thumb drive and widescreen projector.

Not only does this fancy technology exist, it's so common that we find it mundane.  I'm sorry, but that officially makes it the future.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #56 on: 06 Sep 2010, 08:10 »

Yeah, but that was just an acknowledgement of where the tech was already going.  The plot's just a rehash of a "book of secrets" plotline, where there's something in this one copy of an old book that's hidden away, or lost, or maybe it's the one person with the knowledge that needs to be rescued or found...

I'm NOT going to TVtropes this, but I know it's in there, somewhere.  I've got grading to do. 

I know we live in the future of our pasts, but I really wish it had that "gee whiz" sheen to it, ya know? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #57 on: 06 Sep 2010, 09:30 »

I dunno. In the early nineties, when Hayes, one of the really big modem companies, damn near went belly up (I can't remember why), I asked a cutting edge networking guy why we didn't have wireless communications yet. He told me it was impossible, and then proceeded to list all the reasons why it would never be feasible.

You can now buy a web-browsing hand-held computer that you can carry, if not anywhere, than a rather lot of places and pull massive amounts of data onto the teeny screen (by the standards of the early 90's, when a comp-sci major told me that if I wanted unlimited storage for  a PC my department was ordering, I needed a one Gigabyte drive [I think, may have been four], because I'd never fill that sucker up) without really thinking about it and with nary a wire in sight. You don't have to be Lt. Uhura or Spock, either; it's so easy absolute morons can do it.

If that's not gee-whiz enough for you, Carl, you've got higher standards than we'll probably ever live up to. If that's the case, I think you, to satisfy your lust for novelty, may need to be the one who volunteers to get teleported the first time.

The real problem with flying cars is that very few people seriously want them. If they did, we'd have them. Ditto for space exploration. But we love to yak mindlessly, lookit each other's images, and let one another know the instant we get married, get drunk, fall down, or fart, depending on our priorities. Thus, behold the smart cell-phone.

And with farts, I think I've almost got us back to the thread topic (only fair, since I derailed it quoting "The Electro Gypsy"). How many farts can the QC movie have and remain semi-tasteful, and how many can it not have and still be QC?
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #58 on: 06 Sep 2010, 09:47 »

The heroes would spend the entire movie chasing these things down because of the precious data held on them, and the secrets they'd reveal, and how important it all was.  And then they'd finally get them, and plug them into something, and this gigantic screen would show the recording of the precious Data and it would have such a big important influence on the plot.  Remember that?

USB thumb drive and widescreen projector.

Not only does this fancy technology exist, it's so common that we find it mundane.  I'm sorry, but that officially makes it the future.

One of the James Bond movies has the doomsday missiles' launch codes on a CASSETTE TAPE! which (Blofeld?) runs around with on an open-sea oil platform, I kept imagining the tape falling into the ocean or being roasted by the explosions or just getting dirt in it...

Very amusing.   :lol:
Irresponsible Adult GOM

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #59 on: 06 Sep 2010, 09:59 »

1.)  I asked a cutting edge networking guy why we didn't have wireless communications yet. He told me it was impossible, and then proceeded to list all the reasons why it would never be feasible.

2.)  The real problem with flying cars is that very few people seriously want them. If they did, we'd have them.

1.  I wanted to write a book full of those way off-base quotes by industry leaders, trend-predictors, etc, but I think it's been done... I forget the title, though.

2.  I want one! Really!  But I don't matter, I don't have $100,000 or whatever it would cost.  
And I think there's probly other issues, like all the morons who'd crash em (drunk fliers!!) buzz their friends, etc etc.  You think road accidents & traffic jams are destructive, disruptive??  Wait til millions of dolts are late for work (rush hour would have new worlds of pain) or cutting each other off, trying to get into (or out of) sports stadia, ... boggling.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 10:04 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #60 on: 06 Sep 2010, 10:20 »

Flying cars anyone? http://www.moller.com/
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 06 Sep 2010, 11:01 »

[snip]
2.  I want one! Really!  But I don't matter, I don't have $100,000 or whatever it would cost.  
And I think there's probly other issues, like all the morons who'd crash em (drunk fliers!!) buzz their friends, etc etc.  You think road accidents & traffic jams are destructive, disruptive??  Wait til millions of dolts are late for work (rush hour would have new worlds of pain) or cutting each other off, trying to get into (or out of) sports stadia, ... boggling.
Yes. When I think about it with any degree of seriousness, I imagine that someone, somewhere, had an epiphany for a $10k flying car, then tried to drive into a medium-size city at 8 or so in the morning to do some legal work, translated what he saw into the hurtling horror his invention would make it, then turned around to go home and burn the plans as fast as he could.

As is, the idea they let John Travolta fly a jet is enough to terrify me in and of itself. Getting the crazy old bat elderly lady down the road from me up there, too, is the stuff of nightmares.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #62 on: 06 Sep 2010, 11:10 »

Then where's my damned jet pack, already?  

In the GTA game San Andreas!   :-D  Seriously, after you get to the 3rd city (Las Vegas) there's a mission where your reward is your very own jet pack, and it's just about as cool as you'd think - put it on in the game, and you rise up and fly around the already cool SA sandbox-world.   :joy:

I was disappointed by not being able to carry my favorite heavy weapons up with me, to deal with those damned annoying police helicopters, but I bow to realism - the heaviest it lets you use up there are pistols.

I get your point, Carl -(see below)- I grew up on a farm in the middle of the last century - our water pipes froze in winter, we had like the last rotary phones in the US that you picked up and told a live operator the number you were calling, traveling salesman came around with things local stores didn't have, and when I went to college for computers, we had some old UNIVAC stuff with punched cards...   So when I wax effusive about flying my own GTA jet pack around, I'm seriously enthralled by the great tech advances.   :-D

And it's one of my favorite speculations - what people of one era would think of a future era's STUFF...    [The 1938 World's Fair made a film, "The World Of 1960" (I think was the title), and it's weirdly fascinating, public dirigible transportation, grooved highways, & more!]
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 11:29 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #63 on: 06 Sep 2010, 11:11 »

[sigh]

My point was again, missed.  Don't worry, I'm used to it...

It's the sheen that's not there.  All the new whizbang tech we have is cool, and amazing.  but it all developed naturally, nearly evolving before our eyes.  Those old "vision of the future" things were leaps and bounds past what we could do - dreamer's stuff.  What we have now is at that level, but taken completely for granted, because we wathced it evolve.  There's been no "quantum" leap forward! 

My first computer work was done with punchcards.  I used teletype terminals (with the 2 foot wide punch paper), and my thesis was written using a VT100 and a 1200 baud modem to hook up to the mainframe.  My first computer at work had a 10 MB hard drive, the biggest you could get.  I don't even want to talk about my first laptop...

Yes, iPads and smartphones are amazing.  But there are touchscreens everywhere, they're already mundane. 

I dunno, it's just the GOM in me, I guess! 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 06 Sep 2010, 13:00 »

I think I don't get you because the sheen is there for me. Example: I just started using Skype today, and it's astounding I can do that, and on a 5 year old machine, too. I'll add 'naturally' is a bit of a stretch, to me. 'Natural' development, my studies tell me, is 'ARGGGHH! It's different! Break it, burn him. Stick to the old, holy ways." A few people don't do this, however, and the thing passes around in secret for a few decades to a few centuries, and then it is quietly accepted because the people who have the matches are using it by then. But every once in a while you get these times where nearly every advance is accepted. We're living in one at the moment (although it may soon pass.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 06 Sep 2010, 14:54 »

http://www.paleofuture.com/

Collection of imaginings of the future decade by decade starting in the 19th century.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tergon

« Reply #66 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:22 »

I think the "Sheen" isn't as obvious because, well, at the risk of being slapped for saying so... the "Sheen" has become a market issue.  Everything is being sold as The Wave Of The Furute.  Every single Apple product is given a furutistic name with the i- suffix, and made of smooth white or black casing with touchscreens.  Everything is wireless.  Everything is supposed to be so neat and futuristic that nothing stands out.  If it's all got a sheen, then after a while you... just stop noticing it's there.

And as far as looking for that "Quantum Leap Forward", well, I think that's just part of the sheen effect you're looking for.  Everything claims to be revolutionary new technology, but realistically, that almost never works.  I think the best example is the SmartCard (to give it one of the many names it's had).  Y'know, the card that functions as an ID toshow who you are, a keycard to enter locked doors, mini-credit card to use public transport or whatever... I can think of half a dozen times that tried to get off the ground, and how it was guaranteed we'd all be using them soon!  And they never did.
People genuinely don't like bold, new, out-of-nowhere technologies.  We like evolutionary steps from one existing thing to the next.  All the proof you need is in every single Brand New Idea that was dripping with sheen, and which failed dismally.

Which is why I think a QC movie would work so well.  AnthroPCs are just the natural evolution of an iPhone and one of those little robot dog things.  And you know they're coated with a thick, greasy layer of sheen.
Well, a thick greasy layer of... something.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #67 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:36 »

Lets hope it's not this...

Don't mind me, though.  I like living in the future, I really do.  Sometimes I have the same Gee Whiz moments Raoullefere speaks of, and sometimes I really do see the sheen again. 

I think the holiday just has me down.  Another summer gone, and all the projects I had lined up (and have had lined up for several years) are still un-begun. 

Oh, and I totalled my car Friday.  Hit a bear.  I now have no way to get to work. 

Fucker ran off into the woods, too.  Didn't even have the decency to be seriously injured...

Bleah. 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 06 Sep 2010, 23:07 »

A bear? Christ almighty.

Carl, I'm beginning to think whoever's out to get me is after you, too. And it seems to want you more. Much more.

Tergon

« Reply #69 on: 07 Sep 2010, 00:18 »

On the plus side you can now introduce yourself as a Bear Fighter.  And since it ran, that's a forfeit, so you win.

You are a VICTORIOUS Bear Fighter.

Screw the future, I want to go back to a time when that was all the cred you needed to be, freaking, Barbarian King.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #70 on: 07 Sep 2010, 00:34 »

actually i'd say leaving showed fairly good grace on his part. if i was a bear, i'd be pissed at the small meat creature that just hit me with the now immobile vehicle.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #71 on: 07 Sep 2010, 03:07 »

Have you ever seen a bear run? 

Grace has very little to do with it. 

akronnick

« Reply #72 on: 07 Sep 2010, 03:17 »

Well he probably would have been more graceful if you hadn't just hit him with your damn car!

Tergon

« Reply #73 on: 07 Sep 2010, 03:25 »

DAMN YOU CARL

MY CAREER IS OVER

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #74 on: 07 Sep 2010, 05:11 »

Well he probably would have been more graceful if you hadn't just hit him with your damn car!

He ran out in front of me first.  Across two (empty) lanes.  I had plenty of time to watch the ungainly gate and contemplate what was about to happen.  I even hit the brakes.  hard.  Or it would've been a lot worse (it wasn't quite airbag force).  He (she?  I didn't get the chance to ask...) got knocked down, tumbled over a few times, got up, shook off, and kept right on running. 

Not even a dirty look or acknowledgement.  No scream, no growl, nothing.  I was a piece of furniture he bumped into. 

A friend said he must've been running from something else.  I'm glad whatever scared a full grown (~400 lb) black bear didn't follow it out onto the road...

And no, it's not bear season here yet.  That starts in November.

Tergon

« Reply #75 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:02 »

He was probably running from a guy holding a UBMEOD.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #76 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:13 »

Normal people (like, say, me) run into normal animals (like, say, deer) with their cars.

Always gotta be someone who one-ups you.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #77 on: 07 Sep 2010, 07:49 »

It ain't one-upmanship.  I've been unemployed all summer, and now I need a car...

Anyone in central PA with a beater that they'd like to be rid of?   

Tergon

« Reply #78 on: 07 Sep 2010, 07:59 »

I'm in Australia, so I can't help with the car.  But, may I suggest that you simply solve this problem by riding the bear?  It's clearly tougher than your car was, so it's a superior choice.  And since you've already bested it in combat, it has to do what you say.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 07 Sep 2010, 08:21 »

While that idea has a certain appeal, and I'm sure it would impress the hell out of my students, winter's coming on soon.  Waking the bear out of hibernation just to get to work would be damn near impossible. 

And the mileage isn't that great.  They eat a lot...

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 07 Sep 2010, 08:50 »

Not to mention stink to high heaven. Your students might respect you, but they'd also make great efforts to remain upwind.

Tergon

« Reply #81 on: 07 Sep 2010, 09:38 »

Yes, let's all go upwind of the hungry bear.  That cannot end badly!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 07 Sep 2010, 10:56 »

These are students I'm talking about. They do this sort of thing all the time. Figuratively speaking, of course.
Student: "Ah, no, I don't have my portfolio…I kind of forgot…I was really busy with the float this weekend…well, yeah, you did assign that three weeks ago, but time kind of slips away, you know?" Pauses. "By the way, is there any kind of extra credit work I could do? My grade's kind of low in here."
Teacher: "Rouwrrr!" as he lunges…
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2010, 10:59 by raoullefere »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #83 on: 07 Sep 2010, 18:02 »

These are students I'm talking about. They do this sort of thing all the time. Figuratively speaking, of course.
When I was in college, I loved students like that. When curve-grading is in force, Gore Vidal's famous remark becomes relevant:
"It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail."

Carl-E racing for the last parking space in the faculty car-park.     Edit: Fixed broken image link.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 13:17 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #84 on: 07 Sep 2010, 20:07 »

What a remarkable likeness...

:lol:

Insectile

• Plantmonster
« Reply #85 on: 08 Nov 2010, 16:29 »

There was a fake movie poster for a QC movie, but I can't find it.
This is not a discussion forum, it's a forum dedicated to the art of performing textual fellatio of Jeph Jacques.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #86 on: 08 Nov 2010, 17:45 »

I think it was the Scott Pilgrim-esque one over on Jeph's Tumblr account.
Just another Joe like 46

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #87 on: 08 Nov 2010, 17:51 »

There was a really horrible one with Christina Ricci (I think) in it a while back.  I mean, it was technically pretty well done, but all the casting choices were horrible.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #88 on: 08 Nov 2010, 21:55 »

Yeah well, as Michael Garibaldi once said to Stephen Franklin, the future shoulda come labeled 'Some Assembly Required'
James The Kugai 

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #89 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:01 »

However, to reverese the trend Akima has brought up aout using non-Asian actors to play clearly Asian characters we need to cast Akima in the role of Faye.

Carl - you can take on Marten and Raoul, you've got Steve

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #90 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:53 »

I started to object, then realized Steve is probably one of the most fun roles to play in the entire cast. So send me a script!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #91 on: 10 Nov 2010, 17:37 »

Meh. 

Another terminally nice role. 

So Riever, saving Pintsize for yourself?

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #92 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:42 »

I can't think of indie busty girl with glasses without immediately going for Thora Birch. So I guess she'd be my Faye..
I like the idea of Nora Zehetner for Dora, but she's pretty tiny so that'd be a change. Carey Mulligan would be cool too.
For some reason I like Alona Tal or Angela Bettis as Hanners. The former is used to prettier roles but I like her, worse comes to worse Alona is Penelope.

Emile Hirsch as Steve.
I have no idea for Sven.
And maybe Joesph Gordon-Levitt for Marten. Mayyybe.

Storyline wouldn't need to be too farfetched, maybe a roadtrip??

Someone said first 600 comics and I think that works, just sub Tai for old boss and Penelope for Sara.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #93 on: 11 Nov 2010, 04:33 »

Meh. 

Another terminally nice role. 

So Riever, saving Pintsize for yourself?

Nah, I want to be the key grip.

How hard can it be to hold onto the keys?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

akronnick

« Reply #94 on: 11 Nov 2010, 04:54 »

If your the Key grip can I be the Best Boy?

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #95 on: 11 Nov 2010, 05:17 »

Only if you say it with the appropriate inflection in your voice.

akronnick

« Reply #96 on: 11 Nov 2010, 05:35 »

Always!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 11 Nov 2010, 15:34 »

Daniel Radcliff as Marten
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #98 on: 11 Nov 2010, 16:17 »

NO.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #99 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:31 »

Besikdes, we're casting Carl-E as Marten.  Haven't you been following the thread?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up