• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was The Moment Of The Week?

Reprint of 258 (Milk Bath!)
- 2 (5.1%)
You should try having an ACTUAL RELATIONSHIP.
- 1 (2.6%)
Oh, God, that's actually TRUE.
- 3 (7.7%)
My therapist won't see anyone else in my social circle.
- 4 (10.3%)
Wait, you're seeing someone?
- 0 (0%)
He misses your body (AUGH!)
- 16 (41%)
Wow. I broke him.
- 2 (5.1%)
Warning label under the boobs.
- 6 (15.4%)
TAKE ME, OH OMNISCIENT MACHINE PANTHEON!
- 3 (7.7%)
Mister Peepers! NOOOOOOOO!
- 2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 25-29 October 2010 (1781-1785)  (Read 106946 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: WCDT: 25-29 October 2010
« Reply #150 on: 28 Oct 2010, 07:24 »

You know, like Steve. Nobody expects introspection from Steve.
<Gets up on a high, big, safe rock as the sharks (species Stephicus Franticfanius) come in towards the chum> :-o

Hey!
You'd be surprised.

(I was!)

That's not introspection.  When a bunch of your friends, and  your SO tell you you're being stupid, and you finally give in and say, "OK, I was being stupid", that's not introspection.  That's a forced surrender! 

Sven on the other hand is being introspective.  Starting out with the afore-quoted strips where he asks Faye if they can still be friends because he misses hanging with her, was the first step.  Now, realizing that that's not all he misses about her (and unintentionally dumping it into Hanner's lap) was the next phase.  Unfortunately, further development has now been temporarily derailed by the Fangus train. 

I think I also see Pastor Vodka in Sven's immediate future - he's been writing country songs for so long, he may be starting to believe some of their purported remedies for a broken heart! 

Also, I was right about Faye getting more details from Haners - alright, so the grilling turned into a simple "WTF?" moment, but still...

I also had the impression that this is a bit of a social engineering experiment on Hanner's part.  While she's not used to dealing with people, and so keeping secrets (or just keeping quiet) for the sake of another may not be part of her mileu, I think this may be intentional information distribution.  Faye clearly looked disturbed by Sven's behaviour, and Hanners was trying to 'splain why.  Unfortunately, she caught Faye in mid processing (you know, that blank stare) and scared the crap out of her. 

One of my own talents, I'm afraid.  Im a very quiet person when I move, and tend to surprise people by being in a room for several minutes before they realize I'm there... usually by turning around and buping into me!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #151 on: 28 Oct 2010, 07:32 »

Hanners strikes me as the kind of person who's actually read every warning label and sticker on everything she owns in the whole world... thrice. I'm sure she can come up with several new ones for Faye quite easily.

Caution:  May cause night sweats, shortness of breath, and dizziness.  If erection lasts more than four hours, you should be so lucky!

Fixed it for you.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

fixed11

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #152 on: 28 Oct 2010, 07:56 »

Cool, Faye is impressed that Sven misses her body more than the time spent with her. Jeph sure knows how to write realistic women, amiright?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #153 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:01 »

How is she supposed to know otherwise? (Yes, Sven said something about it, but he was trying to make peace, and we all know, including Faye, that he's manipulative). And Faye has said before she thinks her breasts are one of the reasons people want to spend time with her. (She said 'tolerate' actually), so it's consistent.*

You know, like Steve. Nobody expects introspection from Steve.
<Gets up on a high, big, safe rock as the sharks (species Stephicus Franticfanius) come in towards the chum> :-o

Hey!
You'd be surprised.

(I was!)
Nah. Like Carl points out, that was acceptance—you can see it in his expression in the first panel. The look in the last panel reflects that Steve is good-natured. I never said Steve wasn't a nice guy; simply that he'd not given to much reflection. Probably why he was recruited by the USDKYA. Introspection is probably not a desirable trait in their field agents.

*Edit: found the strip http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=801
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 08:11 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #154 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:04 »

That's not introspection.  When a bunch of your friends, and  your SO tell you you're being stupid, and you finally give in and say, "OK, I was being stupid", that's not introspection.  That's a forced surrender! 
Entirely true. It was a very lame (and intentionally lame at that!) attempt to disagree with Raoul, in order to justify his retreat to a safe rock.

And then you came along and defused it. You had to, didn't you? Mathematicians, they're all alike. Let not The Truth be sacrificed for the sake of a good joke...
:D
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #155 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:12 »

Cool, Faye is impressed that Sven misses her body more than the time spent with her. Jeph sure knows how to write realistic women, amiright?

Um... maybe I am missing your point. Would you care to elaborate?

And, er, I do not read that Faye is impressed. Amazed? sure. But impressed?

Edit: on top of that, Faye very likely *knows* that it's not just her tits.
Why?
1. Because Sven told her so, and
2. Because she KNOWS about Hannelore's software quirks.

She may still be amazed that sdhe made that impression on him.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 08:21 by peterh »
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #156 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:19 »

N.B. Depending on context amazed can occasionally be synonymous with impressed. It's mostly used these days to imply archaic speech in fantasy novels, however, so I don't credit this as the troll's intent.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #157 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:25 »

<soapbox>
The nice thing about the English language is that, WHEN USED CORRECTLY, it enables you to very precisely say what you mean.
(spoke the stoopit forrinner, for whom English is only his third language, right after Dutch and C#...)

As I keep saying to my offspring, "if that wasn't what you MEANT, you shouldn't have SAID it."
</soapbox>

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #158 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:16 »

English also allows for obfuscation, subterfuge, and best of all, intentionally confusing your listeners! 

Like any fine tool, it's a matter of what the craftsman chooses to make with it that matters.  And in the hands of the less-than-capable, it can even be dangerous! 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #159 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:28 »

Oh, there you go, blaming English for everything.

There's a lot of ways this could go:
  • Sven tries to get into a "relationship" with someone (not of the current cast);
  • Sven tries do the same, but with an existing cast member (Hannelore and Marigold are the two likely targets);
  • Sven tries to woo Faye back -which could result in comedy gold; or
  • Sven gets eaten by an Allosaurus.
Since there was a "hint" of it with the Helen of Troy reference back in 1732, I'm almost betting on the Sven vs. Angus over Faye situation. Unfortunately, that turns into a bit of a Archie vs. Reggie over Veronica kind of vibe.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

steveb

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #160 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:44 »

• Sven tries to get into a "relationship" with someone (not of the current cast);
  • Sven tries do the same, but with an existing cast member (Hannelore and Marigold are the two likely targets);

Sven uses his first genuine experience of heartbreak to write a GOOD country song for once. This fails to sell and
his career is ruined.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #161 on: 28 Oct 2010, 10:39 »

Or it could go yet another way:

• Sven has no idea what to do, and goes catatonic.

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #162 on: 28 Oct 2010, 10:54 »

Sven uses his first genuine experience of heartbreak to write a GOOD country song for once. This fails to sell and
his career is ruined.

The Cowboy Junkies are still going strong...

I'm surprised no one in the strip has pointed Sven in the obvious direction: Just look for another girl with the same proportions. Faye's not unique in that. This would either a) lead him to find happiness again and maybe they could slowly work on the emotional connection part later or b) cause him to realize he's actually in love with Faye beyond just her body and even though this would leave him heartbroken he would at least come to the realization that he's not as big a douchebag as everyone thought.

MaxS

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #163 on: 28 Oct 2010, 11:08 »

Or it could go yet another way:

• Sven has no idea what to do, and goes catatonic.
If love does that to Faye in qc-universe (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1725) then it wouldn't really be surprising at all for that to happen to Sven!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #164 on: 28 Oct 2010, 11:26 »

True. But the references to Faye's physical characteristits (typo intentional), and his insistance that that's what he is missing confuse me. I kept -- and in fact keep -- thinking that he's just confused, or suppressing his *real* feelings towards Faye.
That is, in fact, a lot more consistent with his behaviour in CoD this morning.

I agree, I also think he's partially in denial about his real feelings for Faye. He didn't look terribly happy admitting to Dora that Faye made him actually feel things, so now he could be trying to ignore it. But Faye's revelation that she's dating again probably wrecked that for him.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #165 on: 28 Oct 2010, 12:06 »

I predict Faye finding Sven mid-mope at a bar and trying to console him, then erupting into a RAAGE over on of his comments. (possibly to the tune of "I thought you'd get over Gina and come back") Southern brewed fury will take over.

By the way: Hello everybody! I had activation issues too, and I'm a supporter of the Dickbroom league (even if that joke has died)
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #166 on: 28 Oct 2010, 12:22 »

If the text is to be believed, Sven has never once had to "figure out" a situation like this before because he's never actually felt anything for any of the girls he has slept with, he was actually developing real feelings towards Faye and has been in major denial. I think hannahsaurusrex is right, he'll go and get stone drunk, however I reckon that it'll be Faye and Angus, rather than Faye on her own, and he'll blurt out to her how he really feels, gets into a fight with Angus and gets KO'd by Faye, when it turns out that Angus is a really weedy fighter.

[aside] Really i just want to see Sven thrown across the bar like Angus was. [/aside]
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #167 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:46 »

Nah, he'll end up blurting out something inappropriate instead, we've all seen what happens when his brain shortcircuits.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #168 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:05 »

What do you make of Sven's reaction to Fayngus?

He is deeply troubled by this revelation.    - 8 (14.3%)
One shot, right to the ego.    - 15 (26.8%)
One shot, right to the 'nads.    - 9 (16.1%)
He's thinking, "Where's the nearest bridge?"    - 3 (5.4%)
"Where's that big-busted computer geekette I ran into?"    - 9 (16.1%)
Meh, just one more country music lyric.    - 5 (8.9%)
GOOGLE IT!    - 2 (3.6%)
A bedevilment of bunyips.    - 0 (0%)
Questionable Content Volume I - AVAILABLE NOW!    - 5 (8.9%)

Total Voters: 56

(No one got the "bunyips" reference?)
Just another Joe like 46

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #169 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:14 »

Dump Anugs and go back to Sven.

So... who's this Anugs guy? :D

I have to say I'm amazed that the Google it! option lingers longer in the polls than the QC Volume 1 option. ;)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #170 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:33 »

As Sven writes country music, I thought of this lot.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #171 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:55 »

I think I also see Pastor Vodka in Sven's immediate future - he's been writing country songs for so long, he may be starting to believe some of their purported remedies for a broken heart!
Does anyone in country songs drink anything furrin' like Vodka?

One of my own talents, I'm afraid.  Im a very quiet person when I move, and tend to surprise people by being in a room for several minutes before they realize I'm there... usually by turning around and bumping into me!
Carl-E, the Agent Gibbs of the forum.  :-D

No one got the "bunyips" reference?
The bunyip (a legendary creature from Australian Aboriginal folklore) is proverbially used down here for something that does not exist (hence the local insult "bunyip aristocrat"), so I'm not surprised that it got no votes.

a GOOD country song
Now there's a fine example of a bunyip!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #172 on: 28 Oct 2010, 15:19 »

a GOOD country song
Now there's a fine example of a bunyip!

LOL!!!

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #173 on: 28 Oct 2010, 16:09 »

Since I dug up that quote, I've been thinking about Faye's fixation on her breasts' role* in her interpersonal relationships. Based on that, I think she's gonna … (if you want my marker, you know what to do. Jeph says he doesn't read the forums much anymore {a good policy for the most part, I imagine—hard to watch while we crudely vivisect his baby} and this is simply too good for me to risk that he's lying and turn him off on it.)

That's not introspection.  When a bunch of your friends, and  your SO tell you you're being stupid, and you finally give in and say, "OK, I was being stupid", that's not introspection.  That's a forced surrender!  
Entirely true. It was a very lame (and intentionally lame at that!) attempt to disagree with Raoul, in order to justify his retreat to a safe rock.
I don't need your pity, man.

(Okay, maybe I do, but you needn't be so obvious about it.)

Seriously, though, there was at one time a hardy cadre that, every time he hadn't appeared in over two weeks, basically chanted "where's Steve?" "what about Steve?" "we sure do miss Steve." "Steve? Oh, it's just Marten. I thought you were…" slinks off in disappointment. Okay, I exaggerate, but only a little. Are these souls no longer with us?

Of course I got it—I read Secrets of Power: Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun novel) ages ago. But I didn't see how it applied. Say, you're not needing my pity, are you?

*Roles? I hate it when I'm not sure of number, especially since English has only two (unless it's dealing with modifiers, anyway).
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 16:12 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #174 on: 28 Oct 2010, 16:41 »

If only there were a well-endowed woman in the cast who was attracted to Sven and capable of surprising insights ...

I admit it, I just want Raven back.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #175 on: 28 Oct 2010, 16:58 »

Am I the only one who chuckled at the comic, but laughed aloud at the first line of the newspost? 
~
Nnnnooooo. It made me all but piss my pants.

It made me picture Ripley from Aliens in the forklift-suit-thing reaching out with a metallic arm to try and squeeze one of Faye's boobies . . . and then falling over in a shower of sparks and twitching.

I'm kinda surprised that Faye wasn't mad since she so often defaults to raaage, but maybe her emotional growth is allowing her to chill, or at least flip out less.  Growth is good!  Also, though it's possible that Hanners is looking straight at Faye's boobs in panel 1, she's pretty clearly looking at her face in the other panels.

And huzzah for the Synchronicity cupcakes!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #176 on: 28 Oct 2010, 17:03 »

Of course I got it—I read Secrets of Power: Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun novel) ages ago.

Wow, mega-props to you for even knowing what Shadowrun is.  I used to play that with a group of regular gaming friends, one of whom actually wrote one of the guidebooks.  I only read one or two of the novelizations, though.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #177 on: 28 Oct 2010, 17:30 »

If only there were a well-endowed woman in the cast who was attracted to Sven and capable of surprising insights ...

Marigold?

Marigold and Sven together! Shenanigan possibilities out the wazoo!

Addendum-
I know this may come a little bit late, but "good country" songs can be found... Just take a look at the work of Johnny Cash or the haunting "Midnight in Montgomery". It's like any medium- you have to toss out 99999999.9999% of the "popular" dreck to find the hidden gems buried within the massive pile of UBMEODs.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #178 on: 28 Oct 2010, 17:52 »

Of course I got it—I read Secrets of Power: Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun novel) ages ago.

Wow, mega-props to you for even knowing what Shadowrun is.  I used to play that with a group of regular gaming friends, one of whom actually wrote one of the guidebooks.  I only read one or two of the novelizations, though.

That... was not... what I meant. *sigh*

(Was I the only one who got an "insert" featuring some Wondermark wisdom with my book?)
Just another Joe like 46

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #179 on: 28 Oct 2010, 18:38 »

And a [bizarrely-early?] Pintsize strip to end the week.

laizeohbeets

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #180 on: 28 Oct 2010, 18:59 »

Marigold?

Raven >>>>>>>> Marigold. I actually kinda miss her and her hobo ex-boyfriend.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #181 on: 28 Oct 2010, 19:47 »

Boy Marten sure does like Guitar Porn: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1737

Pretty kinky how he likes to read it out in the open like that...
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #182 on: 28 Oct 2010, 19:56 »

Poor Winslow
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 28 Oct 2010, 20:22 »

I thought "Mr. Peepers" was some human-monkey hybrid Chris Kattan played on SNL. And isn't a walking computer having suchlike for a pet similar to a human raising hookworms? (I.E. something that can get into your innards and really screw things up.)

That... was not... what I meant. *sigh*

(Was I the only one who got an "insert" featuring some Wondermark wisdom with my book?)
I got an ad hawking other books on one of the endpapers, if that's what you mean, but I didn't, in my casual glance, notice any bunyip on the Wondermark entry. And Shadowrun simply supplied my first exposure to the critter.

Wow, mega-props to you for even knowing what Shadowrun is.  I used to play that with a group of regular gaming friends, one of whom actually wrote one of the guidebooks.  I only read one or two of the novelizations, though.
So I'm taking it he isn't the person who was subsidizing the six-sider production industry. Somebody who helped design that system clearly was.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 20:25 by raoullefere »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #184 on: 28 Oct 2010, 20:56 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso. Of course Marten is a guitar nerd rather than a computer geek, so maybe the cricket actually immolated itself on some other circuit-board. Pintsize's robo-religious ecstasy is a bit creepy, but of course he has tried before to escape the cycle of silicon samsara. Poor Winslow.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #185 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:13 »

WALL-E kept a pet cockroach.  It seemed to work out okay for him/them.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #186 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:13 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso. Of course Marten is a guitar nerd rather than a computer geek, so maybe the cricket actually immolated itself on some other circuit-board.

It would actually make sense that Pintsize's main operational motherboard be in his head- he can remain fully operational and aware even when fully disconnected from the chassis, as well as said chassis being completely hot-swappable as well. This leads me to believe that the head contains Pintsize's motherboard, RAM, a battery and a base amount of boot storage memory, while the chassis contains the main power supply, ports, at least one secondary drive, weapons and whatever other accessories might be mounted within. Since Marigold can "bypass the chassis hardware", that would seem to strongly suggest that AnthroPCs can operate with just the head being functional.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 21:24 by AnAverageWriter »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #187 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:38 »

Does this mean that Winslow will now embark on terrible and protracted revenge against Pintsize?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #188 on: 28 Oct 2010, 21:48 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso. Of course Marten is a guitar nerd rather than a computer geek, so maybe the cricket actually immolated itself on some other circuit-board.

It would actually make sense that Pintsize's main operational motherboard be in his head- he can remain fully operational and aware even when fully disconnected from the chassis, as well as said chassis being completely hot-swappable as well. This leads me to believe that the head contains Pintsize's motherboard, RAM, a battery and a base amount of boot storage memory, while the chassis contains the main power supply, ports, at least one secondary drive, weapons and whatever other accessories might be mounted within. Since Marigold can "bypass the chassis hardware", that would seem to strongly suggest that AnthroPCs can operate with just the head being functional.

This gives me images of the disembodied heads of Futurama...

And the strip has a familiar ring, harkening back to the first known computer "bug" (a moth wedged into a relay) in Harvard's Mark II computer. 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #189 on: 28 Oct 2010, 22:56 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso.

Have we hit a comic singularity discontinuity?

Marten did use his torso as a cereal bowl at one point, while his head was vehemently protesting. That also suggests that the torso does not contain anything vital. I agree that in 1414 with the torso open it does look like the motherboard is in there.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #190 on: 28 Oct 2010, 23:01 »

I agree that in 1414 with the torso open it does look like the motherboard is in there.

Could you point it out? I see an optical drive above where Marigold has plugged her laptop in (which would correlate with the positioning of Pintsize's drive slot) and above that I see something covered by RF shielding (I suspect it's the mechanics for Pintsize's arms). I don't see a motherboard in there.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2010, 23:03 by AnAverageWriter »

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #191 on: 28 Oct 2010, 23:15 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso...

It would make sense that his primary hardware is in the head because when Marigold thumped him for breast related terrorism in 1457 he starts to slur his words badly.

In addition to the other points already made about hot-swapping, decapitated protesting etc,

ps. also I think that if it was his torso then the cake frosting would have done some damage in 611 and Marten wouldn't have just left it to soak.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #192 on: 28 Oct 2010, 23:49 »

Seriously, though, there was at one time a hardy cadre that, every time he hadn't appeared in over two weeks, basically chanted "where's Steve?" "what about Steve?" "we sure do miss Steve." "Steve? Oh, it's just Marten. I thought you were…" slinks off in disappointment. Okay, I exaggerate, but only a little. Are these souls no longer with us?

They've been replaced, see?

I think the forum recycles them on a regular basis.

(Just imagine what would happen here if Jeph would decide to put Hannelore on a bus...)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #193 on: 28 Oct 2010, 23:59 »

Could you point it out? I see an optical drive above where Marigold has plugged her laptop in (which would correlate with the positioning of Pintsize's drive slot) and above that I see something covered by RF shielding (I suspect it's the mechanics for Pintsize's arms). I don't see a motherboard in there.

Ok. Sorry. My ignorance on computer HW is thus officially revealed. I thought that the stuff sticking down from the covered part looked like a stack of cards on a bus, and so assumed that the top would be hiding the motherboard. I haven't dared to add anything to my PCs myself since '01 when I added a little bit of extra RAM to keep the old reliable '94 60 MHz Pentium up and running win95. A true collectors item! FDIV bug and everything. Boots up from a 3 and a half inch floppy in one tenth of the time used by this presumably reasonably up-to-date dualcore 2GHz laptop running XP.

The point still stands. Whatever is showing in 1414 should not stay there, when the torso is used as a cereal bowl.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner
« Reply #194 on: 29 Oct 2010, 00:08 »

While it's already remarkable that we collectively do reverse psychology on the human QC cast, reverse-engineering a fictional robot really takes fandom to new, unanticipated, levels! :D
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2010, 01:01 by peterh »

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #195 on: 29 Oct 2010, 00:45 »

In refreference to Pintsize's architechture, two words: blue tooth.

His mother board could be cloud-sourced to the sub-etha network for all we know! He's a fictional comic relief robot, don't worry to much about where is parts go.  Newegg.com doesn't carry them. (I know, I've checked.)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #196 on: 29 Oct 2010, 00:52 »

Me too...  :-(

Also...

Mister Peepers: Never forget.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #197 on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:32 »

In refreference to Pintsize's architechture, two words: blue tooth.
Bluetooth (which is actually one word) is the arthritic* snail of wireless comms. Pintsize would need something way faster.

*Yes, I know snails have no joints, and so by definition cannot suffer from arthritis, but you know what I mean.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #198 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:28 »

I haven't dared to add anything to my PCs myself since '01 when I added a little bit of extra RAM to keep the old reliable '94 60 MHz Pentium up and running win95. A true collectors item! FDIV bug and everything. Boots up from a 3 and a half inch floppy in one tenth of the time used by this presumably reasonably up-to-date dualcore 2GHz laptop running XP.

A tool that does what you need it to do is useful even if old. I'm writing this post on a 1999 purple ("Grape") iMac I got for thirty bucks at a PC Salvage store. Stuffed in a ten-buck 512MB stick in it, and viola- my daily QC addiction without tying up an extra PC in the house.
My "main" writing computer is a circa 1994-1995 Mac 6400. Uses one of the most fantastic, heaviest keyboards I've ever used, the Apple Extended Keyboard.

The point still stands. Whatever is showing in 1414 should not stay there, when the torso is used as a cereal bowl.

Agreed. Hopefully that chassis was empty before he cerealed it.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #199 on: 29 Oct 2010, 05:20 »

Pintsize's motherboard is in his head? I thought it was in his torso.

Have we hit a comic singularity discontinuity?

Marten did use his torso as a cereal bowl at one point, while his head was vehemently protesting. That also suggests that the torso does not contain anything vital. I agree that in 1414 with the torso open it does look like the motherboard is in there.
When Hannelore foolishly stuffs Pintsize with too much RAM, Marten strikes Pintsize a good un' the back of the head, and the teeny terror spits the ramstick out. Where the RAM be, there be ye motherboard, me hearties! Although we be assumin' the wee monster's other ram be soldered on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up