THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 18:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 November 2010 (Thanksgiving Week/1800-1805/Aftermath of the Breakup)  (Read 144306 times)

sirisaacnuton

• Plantmonster

So for whatever reason I decided to go back to the beginning and start rereading.  I got to #78 (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=78) and in light of the current stuff the last panel made me sad...

I had almost forgotten about Dora's little insecure chats with her kitty.  I hope she manages to find happiness with someone.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

then Venom+pissed off indie nerd = ?

Kinda obvious isn't it? The answer would be Tobey Maguire..... And I think I threw up a little bit at that thought....
Admit it, you want to see Marten walking down the street in full douche-hipster regalia, hair down over his face, thrusting his hips at passing ladies.

God, Spiderman 3 was terrible. Most wasted two hours of my life.

My then boyfriend loved it...Why is there no throw up emoticon?!?!?! There is  :psyduck: but no little dude throwing up. This makes me :(

There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

TheEvilDog

Admit it, you want to see Marten walking down the street in full douche-hipster regalia, hair down over his face, thrusting his hips at passing ladies.

God, Spiderman 3 was terrible. Most wasted two hours of my life.

See, its that mental image that made me want to throw up. There are some things in this world or any other that man was not meant to see.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp

Whenever people asked me about that projected atrocity, I would simply say "Kirsten. Dunst. SINGS."

You can't forget the Fake-oversized-glasses.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom

I would dearly love to have been at the meeting where they wrote the script for Spider-Man 3.  Big, epic battles between super-powered heroes and villians, plots to destroy New York city and kill millions, malevolent alien intelligence bonding with hapless humans...

...and then someone stands up and says, "Yeah, that's all good, but I think the plot needs to shift a little.  Focus more on an emo song-and-dance number, that's much more significant to the story we're trying to tell.  And God knows that's what audiences want in their superhero films these days."

I WOULD HAVE THROWN EVERYTHING AT THAT PERSON.
LITERALLY EVERYTHING.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

The problem with Spiderman 3 was too many god-damned villians! Even Peter Parker was a villian at one point.

It's like they tried to cram Superman 2, Superman 3, Pirates of the Caribean and seasons 3, 4, and 5 of That 70's Show all into one two hour movie.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

All this Spiderman 3 talk is making me feel more sick than I already am.

I hope that I don't start thinking about Spiderman 3 every time I read QC now that will probably make me shoot myself :/

Bad enough I am thinking about Kirsten Dunst singing :vomit:

The thing with Spiderman 3 was there were they reached the maximum number of evil villains allowed in one movie. I would link the article where I read that but I am too lazy to go trawling for it right now.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3858-spiderman-4/ turns out I am not too lazy!
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 20:21 by melly21 »

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp

My brain refuses to even ATTEMPT to disect what made Spiderman 3 so defiling to the senses.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

akronnick

Well, Panel 2 was NOT what Dora was expecting.

It's probably what she needed though.

What?

There's a lot of dust in here, it's making my eyes water...

*sniff*

And my nose run...

Shut up!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!

I'll admit, I welled up a wee bit. There's something about a doomy hug that gets me..
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder

I wonder if Faye intended to hug Dora, or to prevent her escaping from the therapist suggestion.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman

The only downside to actually getting Dora the help she needs is that this won't go anywhere interesting and she and Marten will be back together by year's end.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

bicostp

• Beyoncé

What is Dora more afraid of: honestly confronting her problems, or those trademark Whitacker beatings?

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

Ah, good. Comic came along before we managed to completely derail the thread. :mrgreen:

All I have to say for now is, viva le Faye! We all need friends like that.
Quis pater tibi est?

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication

The only downside to actually getting Dora the help she needs is that this won't go anywhere interesting and she and Marten will be back together by year's end.

You never know, she might get help and it end up being too late cause Marty has moved on. Or maybe even after she gets help she meets someone new kinda like Faye did. And then once again Marten gets left in the dust.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.

damn, damn and double-

*SCREE SCREE SCREE*

DOUBLE DAMN.

When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

I like that Faye told Dora "I would like to hurt you but Marty asked me not to" so this way Dora knows Faye is pissed off. But I like that Faye has offered her help as well as letting her know she isn't happy.

I love you so much right now Faye.

Somebody

• Curry sauce

I wonder if Faye intended to hug Dora, or to prevent her escaping from the therapist suggestion.
Oh, the latter. That's not the way you hug someone - she's trying to stop her wriggling out...

I like that Faye told Dora "I would like to hurt you but Marty asked me not to" so this way Dora knows Faye is pissed off.
I'm hearing panels 3 & 4 in a very low, angry, threatening voice. Especially panel 3. I think that part was for Faye's benefit rather than Dora's.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Yes, Faye, that is what friends are for.

You have grown so much since meeting Marten.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

Oh, the latter. That's not the way you hug someone - she's trying to stop her wriggling out...

I like that Faye told Dora "I would like to hurt you but Marty asked me not to" so this way Dora knows Faye is pissed off.
I'm hearing panels 3 & 4 in a very low, angry, threatening voice. Especially panel 3. I think that part was for Faye's benefit rather than Dora's.

I read panel 3 in a similar voice but then read panel 4 in a slightly more pleadingly angry voice...if that makes sense? Probably not.

I hope they have lots of tissues in CoD looks like they need them

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Well, there wasn't any blood - not that the threat isn't there from the look of it.   :-D

I think Faye has the right idea, and this could be the beginning of an interesting storyline.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Jen Ever

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • spiteface.net

Too. Friggin. Cute. That's all I can say.

azurefirem

• Plantmonster
  • a mysterious irrelephant

No, we will not write fanfic.

Or at least, I won't
But Marigold will.

Anyways.
1. Poor Marten :( It breaks my heart to see him looking like that. At least he can inject maybe a little gallows humour into the situation (last panel of 1801. I giggled.) in an attempt to keep his (and our) spirit(s) up.
2. Poor Dora :( At least Faye isn't beating her up, no matter how much we all know she wants to. Dora needs hugs and help, not punches. Even if some part of me does think she deserves them.
3. Poor JEPH. I can only imagine how difficult this is on him: real-time psychoanalysis on his comics within seconds after he posts them, breaking off a major relationship in his comic...even if it IS only a comic he's said before he thinks of the characters as real friends and augh now I want to give Jeph and Faye and Marten and Dora and everyone else hugs.
HUGS FOR EVERYONE.
Also, is anyone going to be ordering Victorian-era costumes? I think we'll need them when Marten enters CoD for the first time post-1799.
Quote from: KickThatBathProf
Fun Fact:  You can shower and brush your teeth simultaneously

oh my god can i touch you???

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.

Well....there goes my prediction of Faye going to Dora to relate how shitty it feels to have to give up Marten.  :-(

Huh, guess I was half right! But, is QC going to end with EVERY character in therapy?   :roll:
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

peterh

• Furry furrier
  • stoopit forrinner

Ah, the Dora-haters have found something new to fret about. For the rest of us readers, a new and unexpected (and therefore interesting) twist.

And yes, Faye definitely has come a looong way. As Jeph says, she's split the difference between rage and empathy (maybe even realising that rage is often caused by empathy... if you didn't care, you'd probably not get upset in the first place).
Quote from: Is it cold in here?:
Some things are most easily explained by the hypothesis that it's just a fictional comedy with things exaggerated for comic effect. However, this explanation is too boring for us to accept it just because it's true.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom

Faye just took a level in Awesome.

Seriously, this might all of a sudden be one of my favourite "Character" moments in the entire strip.  Faye's her usual, bitchy, abrasive self... but God damn, she's a good friend too.

Fantastic writing, Jeph.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

knucklesandgyros

• Not quite a lurker

That was just pitch perfect handling on the part of Jeph there. And I'm not sure if there's been a better example of character development realized than that hug that Faye gave. She has really grown up since the beginning of the comic and it shows. If someone had told me that she would end up being the most sane between her and Dora about over 1000 strips ago, I would've called them insane.
Personal Mantra: When in doubt, do it for the lulz

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.

I was wrong. I honestly believed Sven was the one who'd say what Faye said and did.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Re: 1802,

Love it. Only way she could do it.

Jeph FTW.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Shteevie

• Plantmonster

Proud of Faye tonight. She could have sided against Dora, but instead she sided for both Marten by supporting him, and Dora by trying to help her.

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.

Actually, the French-Fry hoodie's pockets inexplicably disappear in the last panel there.  Maybe it's some sort of hoodie-shapeshifter.

Either that, or it's folded Just So.  :psyduck:

Also, we need an Espeon emoticon.  :-(
Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

I'm not a big fan of Faye, but occasionally she oozes pure awesome. Tonight's strip is a prime example.

I do kinda wish we could see Dora's face during the whole thing...but that would probably just spoil the effect.

Well done Jeph!
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'll take that bet. A round of coffee at COD on me if they're back together by New Year's.

Well....there goes my prediction of Faye going to Dora to relate how shitty it feels to have to give up Marten.  :-(

Huh, guess I was half right! But, is QC going to end with EVERY character in therapy?   :roll:

Sure, why not? Dr. Corrine's office needs all the referrals they can get.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 22:35 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

CEOIII

That shit right there? THE DEFINITION OF FRIENDSHIP.

"You hurt someone I love, but because I love you and him, I'm getting you help instead of beating the unholy shit out of you. You're welcome.

And stop snotting on my shirt."
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster

Faye wins the game.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman

Oh, and by the way, guys. Faye's eyes in the final panel. Look closely. Lower eye glare/shimmer.

She's getting misty-eyed or something.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

redragon5000

• Plantmonster

Aw, twue fwiendship.

Seriously though, good on Faye. Dora needs someone to make her get psychological help, and Faye is the perfect person to metaphorically (or literally if she doesn't go willingly.) kick her in the right direction.

akronnick

Oh, and by the way, guys. Faye's eyes in the final panel. Look closely. Lower eye glare/shimmer.

She's getting misty-eyed or something.

Lies!

Horrible filthy lies!

Faye's just reacting to the fumes from Dora's hair dye.

pinch

• Not quite a lurker
  • Wham

Well at least the whole house isn't at war back at Marten's place. Gonna be sad when Dora moves her stuff out- Maybe Angus will move in and take her spot( as the third resident, he'd be with Faye obviously :) .
I'm really interested to see if Sven comes into the picture with any input.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I have a feeling we might get a Pintsize funny either tomorrow or Friday. Just a hunch.
Just another Joe like 46

Napoleon_Blownapart

• Plantmonster

I'm desperately hoping Jeph writes a new love interest for Marten before he does for Dora. Nothing builds strength and character in a person like forcing them to accept that they can't go back and fix their mistakes to get back what they lost.

cherrypi

• Not quite a lurker

Well at least the whole house isn't at war back at Marten's place. Gonna be sad when Dora moves her stuff out- Maybe Angus will move in and take her spot( as the third resident, he'd be with Faye obviously :) .
I'm really interested to see if Sven comes into the picture with any input.

I...highly doubt that Angus would do anything of the sort. I mean, what Angus and Faye currently have is way, way too new to tax it with anything like cohabitation. Not to mention, it'd be completely out of Faye's character. I mean, she freaked out after just making out with the guy. Living with him? Already? Thinking not. Not even the most well-adjusted individual on the face of the planet would be interested in making that leap. Not yet.  :psyduck:

Seeing Sven's reaction would be interesting, though. And Tai's.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai has shown some objective insight into Marten's experiences before.

Praise for Faye justified, certainly, but Dora is now having the healthiest and most appropriate reaction she can right now.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I would post something about the comic, but I just got done rewatching the Lost series, and the only thought I can formulate of it all is WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DOES IT ALL MEAN??!!!

*head asplode*
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Occams Meataxe

• Not quite a lurker

Faye could have a great future as a therapist if she got a little more of her shit together and went back to grad school.

I'm betting Marten will find someone before Dora. When he does she will flip out.

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker

That was absolutely the best thing to have happened. See? Trust in the Jeph, children, he's honed his craft over the years.

Dora knows she wrecked this, and she's terribly saddened by it. There is not a doubt in my mind that Faye will make good on her threat.

As for Marten and Dora getting back together, I suspect that a new character is going to be introduced that helps him get over the breakup, and Dora will get her head on straight too late for them to get back together.

Well done, Jeph. Keep 'em coming!

Irenfrea

• Emoticontraindication
    • The Eye of the Beholder

Now is when Tai enters the coffee shop all yelling "YAY PARTY TIME" while taking off her shirt. Or when Raven reappears and is all "ok wtf happened while I was out".

It's great how Faye is taking this, after yesterday comic and Jeph's comments I was afraid of antagonisms.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost

I think that this is one of those strips where we can just sit back, and think "Look how far Faye has come." In many ways I think this shows a very powerful reversal of relationships here. Faye has moved past her own problems, and now it's time for her to help Dora solve hers.

Fantastic, I'm loving it Jeph.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Praise for Faye justified, certainly, but Dora is now having the healthiest and most appropriate reaction she can right now.

Catharsis.  Dora had been cryin' before at Svens (kleenex on the couch), but that was with the upset of what she felt she had to do, with the sadness of ending it.  

This is the relief of knowing another person cares enough about you  to help.  

Got me as well.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

akronnick

As for Marten and Dora getting back together, I suspect that a new character is going to be introduced that helps him get over the breakup, and Dora will get her head on straight too late for them to get back together.

Yes, but what kind of crippling emotional and/or mental hurdles will the new girl have to deal with?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up