THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 22-26 November 2010 (Thanksgiving Week/1800-1805/Aftermath of the Breakup)  (Read 143892 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Rather than consult the disturbing images (too many possibilities may assault my poor innocent mind), I will simply ask - how's the dinner coming along?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Murphoid

• Plantmonster
    • My Facebook

Who's Jimbo?
 :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Rather than consult the disturbing images (too many possibilities may assault my poor innocent mind), I will simply ask - how's the dinner coming along?

No images, except the mental ones, but one of the hookup possibilities for Marten in that thread was Amir, who turns out to be a Dom to Martens generally submissive personality.  Marten wears a collar to Henry's wedding, and it ain't because he's officiating...

Turkey's in the oven, other things will be cooking soon - we actually do thanksgiving dinner at dinnertime, early evening, unlike the rest of the country. 

No stuffing a bird at 1 AM for this cook... 

People are arriving, bearing wine and cheese to hold us until evening. 

Damn, I nearly forgot!  Gotta go get that extra folding table and chairs from the church basement, now!

Happy thinksgiving, those of you who celebrate it.  And if you're in the US and not able to celebrate it, remember that there are places that can help.  The church I attend (my wife's church, I'm non-theistic) is cooking for 50 today, they usually get about that many, and walk-ins are always welcome.  It's like that everywhere.  There's no reason to be alone if you don't want to be. 

Hell, if you show up here, I'm not gonna say no! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster

Seems to me that Sven is left-handed?

I may be totally wrong, but isn't it so that when a right-handed person is playing, the fretboard points to the left? Basically because you are playing right-handed, so you press the strings to the fretboard with your left hand. At least that's the way I was told to do it, when I was ploinking a guitar.

Yup, that's correct - you generally pluck the strings with your dominant hand.  Although, to be honest, I didn't realize until checking Wikipedia right now that they make mirror-image guitars for lefties.  I figured they had to either play with their non-dominant hand (like left-handed violinists) or string the guitar backwards and flip it over (like Hendrix).

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Elizabeth Cotton played a standard (right-handed guitar) left handed, without restringing it. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened

So did I, when I took guitar for a year. 

Gave it up for the concertina...

20 button English, C/G.  It's like having two harmonicas strapped to a bellows, only more confusing... 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Thanks for the interesting bits. I figured it out that playing left-handed you would want to reverse the order of the strings. Looking at Dad's old acoustic guitar (the only one I ever tried) I don't see any problems with that, because the guitar itself is symmetric, so a lefty could just restring it, flip it over, and start playing. With an electric guitar there might a problem, if the guitar lacks mirror symmetry.

Kudos to Libba for turning a "handicap" to an advantage. Reminded of the story of a Belgian guitarist Django Reinhardt who had to relearn to play with two unusable fingers in his left hand.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 12:26 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference

Happy thinksgiving, those of you who celebrate it.  And if you're in the US and not able to celebrate it, remember that there are places that can help.  The church I attend (my wife's church, I'm non-theistic) is cooking for 50 today, they usually get about that many, and walk-ins are always welcome.  It's like that everywhere.  There's no reason to be alone if you don't want to be. 

Well, here in my country we don't celebrate thanks giving day. It makes sense, since we don't have the historical reason to do it.
But i really think that every country should have a day like this, just to be thankful for the things we have, for the people who loves us and the people that we love back. Lately here in my city, people are just angry with each other, getting frustrated by every little thing, and we don't look at the many and valuable things we have, or be greatful for all the little things.

So, although i cannot celebrate it, happy thanks giving day to you all!

And thank you for everything!

Thank you psyduck! :psyduck:
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Elizabeth Cotton played a standard (right-handed guitar) left handed, without restringing it. 

As did Dick Dale. Y'know, the guy who did that crazy guitar for the soundtrack of Pulp Fiction. And inspired Jimi Hendrix.

Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

shengokai

• Not quite a lurker

I, for one, welcome our new Svenigold overlords.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

As did Dick Dale. Y'know, the guy who did that crazy guitar for the soundtrack of Pulp Fiction. And inspired Jimi Hendrix.

I am sure that many people play guitar that way.  As an old folkie, I just happened to know about Elizabeth Cotton. 

cherrypi

• Not quite a lurker

Who's Jimbo?

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=180

I'm sure there's earlier (and most definitely later), but...this gives you a good indication.

Murphoid

• Plantmonster
    • My Facebook

Who's Jimbo?

I'm sure there's earlier (and most definitely later), but...this gives you a good indication.

Oh the romance novelist that looks like a trucker.   Hadn't seen him in so long I'd forgotten.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

C'mon, people, you can do at least thirteen pages.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Lets go for quality this week, instead of quantity. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What did Marten go to school for anyway? (I should really know this.)
He studied music history and critical theory. The fastest way to find this out is on the wiki.
EDIT: I should have put a link there, shouldn't I? http://questionablecontent.wikia.com/wiki/Marten_Reed#Education
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 20:20 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

Lets go for quality this week, instead of quantity. 

I have nothing of quality to add. I just feel like turkey now...or Turducken. But we don't celebrate thanksgiving here, which is disappointing because the food looks nice.

How would you even eat Turducken? Has anyone here tried it?

There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

My uncle cooked turducken once.  It was an experience not to be repeated.  Or spoken of.

Smoked turkey is the best.  Bonus points for turkey pastrami!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

My guess would be with a knife and fork.

The birds are de-boned prior to stuffing and roasting, so the result would be a huge pile of bird-flesh.

I've never actually had it, and it is not really practical unless you're feeding dozens of people, it's more of an idealized conception of the excessive consumption of Thanksgiving than something to actually be consumed.

Deep-fried turkey, on the other hand is becoming increasingly popular. A twelve pound bird fries in about half an hour as opposed to the several hours the oven takes, and the meat is moister and more flavorful.

Of course there is that whole burning the house down thing...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Do it the Mythbusters way: With an industrial fryer, on a truck, outside, using a steam mortar to get the turkey (frozen) into the fat from fifty feet away "for safety".
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

melly21

• Plantmonster
  • I be saucy

My guess would be with a knife and fork.

The birds are de-boned prior to stuffing and roasting, so the result would be a huge pile of bird-flesh.

I knew as soon as I posted "How would even eat it?!?!" Someone would say "Knife and fork" Smart-arse :p

See that's what I was curious about is if they de-boned the whole thing, seems logical now that I think about it, sometimes the most logical answer is the correct one.

I live right behind a turkey factory, and turkey is becoming increasingly popular in Australia which is good. Turkey is taaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty. Especially when you get freebies.

Now I want to try deep fried turkey, that would be heaven!!
There is no save button when it comes to ladies!

TheEvilDog

See, I always cook the turkey the night before (and as I live in Ireland, its really only applicable to Christmas when the turkey is huge). Makes things a whole lot easier.

Anyway, moving away from the trimmings. Still waiting for Marten to blow up at someone. It'll either be Pintsize, Tai or possibly Steve. My reasoning;
Pintsize, well, lets face it, the little guy has done a lot of stuff, and he definitely didn't endear himself to Marten after letting Dora onto Marten's laptop.
Tai, like I've said before, she might say something, completely innocent and off hand and Marten will just remember every bit of flirting and the conversations the pair have had about Dora. Cue match, fuse and lighting. Hold for explosion.
Steve, sometimes thats just was a best (presumably) friend is there for.

Roll on the fun times.

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.

Ah, what a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner. Deviled eggs, homemade cranberry sauce, rolls, corn, and pumpkin pie.

Wouldn't been better without the mouthful of turkey-broth stuffing. >_>

Anyway. The turkeys made me crack up, same as every year. Marten/Jimbo, the least likely pairing that I had never even considered or read of before. :P
Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Sorry Dora/Tai fans. You have my condolences.

I don't think that Tai is that butch. I mean, she's not quite fem, but I could see Dora going for her, maybe for a fling. But then the weird factor would overwhelm and QC would implode.

------------------------
I enjoy Thanksgiving sandwiches: a dinner roll with cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy inside. Yum!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Actually Pika, that was Dora being sarcastic as usual.  She has actually admitted to being bi.  She's occasionally let on she wouldn't mind bedding Faye, but she also admits she's monogamous when she's in a relationship and wouldn't fool around.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pika_power

• Plantmonster

Actually Pika, that was Dora being sarcastic as usual.  She has actually admitted to being bi.  She's occasionally let on she wouldn't mind bedding Faye, but she also admits she's monogamous when she's in a relationship and wouldn't fool around.
I think you've got it confused. Here's the way I interpret that dialogue. No sarcasm present.

Ellen: Is Marten a girl?
Dora: No, Marten is a boy. Also, I do not like butch girls.
Ellen: Wait, you do like non-butch girls?
Dora: Yes.

And it's been stated before that Tai is considered butch, so the Tai/Dora ship has a leak.

Something else for people to consider. Is Dora just making this up?

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

My uncle cooked turducken once.  It was an experience not to be repeated.  Or spoken of.

Smoked turkey is the best.  Bonus points for turkey pastrami!

The first time I heard of the turducken was on a National Football League game on Thanksgiving many years ago.  John Madden (with Pat Summeral) were the announcers, and Madden was doing some sort of awards (his own) for top players in the NFL that year that he had seen.  The award was purely symbolic, and during the game Madden was describing the layout that was being prepared for him (and the rest of the crew, I assume).  A turducken was amongst the feast.

I have never had one myself, as I prefer my birds to be separate.  I did have duck one year, but I will not do that again as that duck was rather greasy (probably had to do with the way it was baked).  I'll have a turkey later on this week, and I will bake it in an oven bag.  That worked spectacularly last year, so I expect good results this year.

As for today's comic, I for one think that the turkey's idea for a Marten/Jimbo combo is for the birds.   :-P
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2010, 20:15 by Tobimaro »

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication

Yep, the break-up is becoming bad for business.  But I thought that the commotion would be from a Faye beat-down.

But, then again, it may be because Hanners needs her meds adjusted (again).   :laugh:

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Hanners is a-dawww-able... But if the thought of a latte brings on lamentations, what happens when she sees a black hoodie?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

bicostp

• Beyoncé

I hope she remembers that she just has to walk down one flight of stairs to visit him whenever she wants... :|

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

IN YOUR EYES.

THE LIGHT THE HEAT.

YOUR EYES

I AM COMPLETE

YOUR EYES

Sorry I was listening to that song when I read this comic and I'm drunk so you know. PLaya gotta throw down the Peter Gs.

TEARS. Dag.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

sghlgshlghsl indeed, Jeph.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Oh dear.

All we need now is for Marten to walk in to CoD

Coffee of Doom indeed.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom

Aww.  Jeph's clearly decided that we've seen enough of the DramaLlama lately, so rather than end the strip on a big cliffhanger he goes for brain-dissolvingly adorable Hanners.

She is pretty adorable, you guys.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Especially in panel 3.  You can almost see the shimmering pools move and lip tremble.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster

Anyone else enjoyed tracking down all the songs Jeph's been using as strip titles for the past week or so?

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

TheEvilDog

And Dora has finally realised the consequences of her dumping Marten. She made Hanners cry. No one makes Hanners cry dammit! YOU MONSTERS! LEAVE THE ADORABLE OCD GIRL ALONE! WHY MUST YOU MAKE HER SUFFER!

.....Ahem.....

To make up for that little outburst

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Oh god.....poor sad Hannelore...I can't take it  :cry:

By the end of the day Faye's going to realize she prematurely cracked open that emergency bourbon.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

EDIT: Left brain at home.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2010, 11:20 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Poor Hanners :cry:

*huggles*
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster

Oh god.....poor sad Hannelore...I can't take it  :cry:

I'm reminded of the strip (516, it turns out) where Faye tells the CoD girls about her past (immediately following The Talk), and Raven takes it rather hard:

Raven: That's so sad!

Faye: Silly little empath, it's okay.  Don't cry, I'll be fine.  Eventually.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

I just remembered; Marten and Dora adopted Hanners in a manner of speaking, right? I guess it makes sense she would take this as hard or even worse than they do.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish

Oh no!  A sad face!  The saddest face!

(I love Gunnerkrigg Court)

Watching Jeph draw Panel 3 on the stream was entertaining; Hanners just got sadder and sadder the more he worked on it.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Oh no!  A sad face!  The saddest face!

(I love Gunnerkrigg Court)

Watching Jeph draw Panel 3 on the stream was entertaining; Hanners just got sadder and sadder the more he worked on it.

D

FTFY
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2010, 15:25 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Who's Jimbo?

Well ...

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=37

Its linked in Jephs comment under Comic 180, even.
Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up