Sheer Intensity of Makeouts?
- 4 (3.4%)
Quantum Tunnelling effect
- 9 (7.6%)
Please tell me you did not drink that entire bottle
- 0 (0%)
That was a terrible idea.
- 3 (2.5%)
At least ONE of us isn't gonna remember this in the morning.
- 15 (12.6%)
Did I say anything stupid last night? No, you were fine.
- 6 (5%)
OWLS. Owls? OWLS.
- 38 (31.9%)
So, do you want me to kill Dora for you?
- 6 (5%)
Love you too, mom.
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)  (Read 257847 times)

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT: 13-17 Dec 2010 (1816-20)
« Reply #300 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:16 »

As mentioned earlier, he's just joking. A veiled reference to the last time we got a large influx of new posters after a dramatic strip which culminated in a thread being locked for widespread dickery.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #301 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:19 »

I think I'm missing some kind of deep insider secret here. If we get too many new members are the older ones sacrificed to Tezcatlipoca or something?

:psyduck:
Yes! And i'm afraid, because we do a very specific, cruent sacrifice, that involves werevolves, Antartica, three midgets, and a pole. And i HATE to wake up the three midgets...
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #302 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:21 »

Well, seems to me Dora was actually RIGHT to an extent.  Marten is betraying a little flame for Faye here.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #303 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:22 »

OK, at least 3 or 4 "long readers, first time poster"
It MAY be a good a idea to shut the registration off...

Just sayin'.

I think I'm missing some kind of deep insider secret here. If we get too many new members are the older ones sacrificed to Tezcatlipoca or something?

Please, this takes place in Massachusetts - Cthullu or one of the other Old Ones, maybe.  

The only Mexican we've seen honoured in the strip so far is the great deity known as "Burrito"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #304 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:25 »

Yes! And i'm afraid, because we do a very specific, cruent sacrifice, that involves werevolves, Antartica, three midgets, and a pole. And i HATE to wake up the three midgets...

Just in time for Festivus!

Laminator_X

• Not quite a lurker
    • Complaint Department
« Reply #305 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:27 »

You know, this might be just me, but decking a drunk guy seems about seven times more dickish than saying irrational and hurtful things while drunk. Not saying Marten isn't being an ass, but Faye dealt with this is pretty much the worst possible way.
Yeah, attempted sexual assault nullifies all that. I hope Angus kicks his ass too.

There is such a thing as "proportional response." Shoving his drunk ass back on the couch with a "STFU before I deck you." or the like would have been adequate. Faye's violence is a dramatic conceit for the strip, otherwise she'd have inadvertently killed someone and ended up in jail for manslaughter long ago.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #306 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:28 »

Pffffffffft !!!!!!!

Seriously !!!!!!

Hitting a drunk dude who can barely stand, let alone defend himself ?

Thats like hitting a blind person. Or a cripple. Or a child.

Faye reached a new level of completely and utterly uncool.

I don't know; I think if I went to grope my best friend after talking to her like a dick while being completely trashed, I'd be disappointed if she DIDN'T give me a shiner as a result.  There are so many other examples of Faye beating down people unwarrantedly - I don't think this is one of them.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #307 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:33 »

I see nothing to justify that.  In any case, if  a problem should arise, it will, if possible, be dealt with individually, not by a blanket slamming of the gates.  We want  people to come and join in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #308 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:36 »

Well, seems to me Dora was actually RIGHT to an extent.  Marten is betraying a little flame for Faye here.
On the opposite, I think its a typical case of self-fullfilling prophecy.

Because Dora kept thinking and fearing it to be so, Marten, in his drunken and depressed state, now copies it.

It is however not the way of thinking I'm used from Marten.
Carpe Diem

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #309 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:37 »

Just sayin'.

Please, this takes place in Massachusetts - Cthullu or one of the other Old Ones, maybe.  

The only Mexican we've seen honoured in the strip so far is the great deity known as "Burrito"

It's usually Yog-Sothoth. We have spare yerba mate and espresso's cheap enough...
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #310 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:39 »

He has done it with a smile on his face and offered a shoulder for friends to lean on. And now, when he needs one for himself, he finds nothing.

And then you contradict yourself by providing great examples of people trying to help him. What exactly are they supposed to do, suck his dick? They're being there for him in ways that are well within their character. Also, keep in mind that Faye has already made some effort to repair the ruined relationship (be it friendship or more) by getting Dora the help she needs. At this time, Faye's done the most to help Marten.

Hanners has never had a romantic relationship because of her anxieties and her OCD. Sven was until recently a womanising cad, who even admitted that he is 28 years old, and has never been in a proper relationship. Since she has been in the comic, Tai has been in at least one polymous relationship, but not a stable, loving relationship as Dora and Marten seemed to be. While they did try to help Marten, none of them really have the experience of what its like to have a relationship that you thought was going crash and burn in a relatively short time. Not to mention that by trying to "help", they're essentially slapping an open wound.

Now consider Dora, the instigator of the break up. First thing in the morning, Faye hugs her, after work, Sven hugs her.  Admittedly, when Faye hugged her, there was a threat of violence, but there was still concern. What happened before Faye left for work? Were there any words of comfort for Marten? Any friendly hug? Nope, just Faye threatening to break Dora’s arm.

At a time when Marten needed his friends, there is no one around to comfort him. So like I’ve said, yes, Marten is being a dick, but damn it if he doesn’t deserve to act like one.

Absolutely not, as mentioned above. Dealing with this better would show strength of character. While his actions are completely understandable and many of us should be able to sympathize with him...it doesn't make him right in this. Lashing out at your closest friends and being self-destructive? Hard to say that it's ever 'right' or 'deserved' IMO.

The fact is, humans are animals, and if an animal is wounded, you stay away from it, because it will lash out, even if aid or comfort would help it. Right now, Marten is hurting and he needs space, space that is being constantly invaded by other people. It doesn’t matter if a friend’s heart is in the right place, sometimes a person just wants to be left alone and wallow in their own pain and misery, it’s part of the healing process. It’s like a scab, if you keep picking at it, the wound won’t heal. What Marten’s friends are doing right now is grabbing it and tearing it off. So is Marten supposed to let this continue or should he do something about it? Its not about strength of character, but about being human, and what he is doing right now is all too human.
Marten needs his friends, but he also needs them to understand what he is going through and what they are doing right now isn’t helping, it’s hurting him

Now if you just meant that his actions are understandable, then I withdraw most of my statements.
My points are based on experience. Without going into too much detail, I have been in Marten’s place. I also know that the worse thing to say to someone in that time, especially the day after the break up, is that “they’ll be alright”. They don’t hear that, all a person hears is “It doesn’t matter what you feel, get over it so we don’t have to hear anymore whining.” I’ve done the getting drunk phase, the lashing out at friends phase and the trying to blame someone else phase, so I completely understand Marten’s actions and I’m certain that any relatively normal person would do the exact same if they were in his position

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #311 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:40 »

Puuuh. Good thing I'm apparently not the only one who remembers how awfully hard Faye hits ! Judging from some posts, many people here have completely forgotten about it.

I dont count it as self defense either. Marten is helpless. He would already collapse if she just pushed him a bit.

Instead she starts one of her beatings, which at this point is sadistic.

As you see, I do remember how hard Faye hits. But she does not "start one of her beatings" here. She punches a man who was in the middle of touching her inappropriately, about to kiss her by force. The fact that he is drunk does not negate the harassment.

As a woman who has had to ward off drunk guys multiple times, who, while drunk:

1) tried to pin me against a wall
2) stuck their hand down the back of my skirt to my underwear
3) grabbed me from behind in a club and pressed me to their erections
4) tried to unhook my bra

I strongly disagree that "there's no self defense with a drunk guy." What are women supposed to do, just let ourselves be groped?

The Dandy Inferno

• Not quite a lurker
    • Matthew Kitchen Photography
« Reply #312 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:46 »

I see nothing to justify that.  In any case, if  a problem should arise, it will, if possible, be dealt with individually, not by a blanket slamming of the gates.  We want  people to come and join in.

Let's face it, if us newbies start getting all uppity again, some champion wielding the Useless Broom Made Entirely of Dicks will come to beat us all back  :wink:

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #313 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:47 »

I don't know; I think if I went to grope my best friend after talking to her like a dick while being completely trashed, I'd be disappointed if she DIDN'T give me a shiner as a result.  There are so many other examples of Faye beating down people unwarrantedly - I don't think this is one of them.

Agreed. Ok, Faye resorts to violence far too often, and normally you can't just knock out a guy without harming him seriously (but this is a comic..), so, I'll just interpret it as a hard punch and shoving him away. Which may not be the best reaction, but I'd be crept out too. I'd shove people away, and I'd have difficulties trusting them afterwards.

I strongly disagree that "there's no self defense with a drunk guy." What are women supposed to do, just let ourselves be groped?

... you put it way better while I was trying to get my thoughts together (darn), but I want to add that that also applies to harassed guys

Warning - while you were typing A KAZILLION new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

... SO WHAT NOW I'M POSTING ANYWAYS

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #314 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:47 »

Look at it from his perspective, just over 24 hours beforehand he was in a loving, though slightly bumpy,

No. He had been dissatisfied with Dora for a while but too much of a doormat to say anything.

relationship with an amazing woman (to him),

No. He'd been lying awake nights sighing about the fact that he wasn't happy with Dora.

which made the fact that he had a going-nowhere band and a dead end job that much more bearable, in general made him that happier.

Maaaayyyybe. But still: lying awake at nights, sighing. And measuring Dora against Faye.

Now, what does he have? An ex-girlfriend whose own issues sabotaged the relationship.

Not just her issues.  Mostly her issues, but she was partly right about them.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #315 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:49 »

Yes.  Yes you are.  After all, how else are the Nice Guys going to get any action?

/sarcasm

ta-kun_1986

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #316 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:50 »

Ok another newbie here. Plz forgive lol.

After reading all this sexual assault and groping business I had to go back and reread the comic to make sure I didn't miss anything. All I see is Marten saying things that are inappropriate. Yes he's making an unwanted advance, but he's not really going in for a kiss. Heck he's farther away physically than the panel before when he's leaning on Faye. Now you could argue that with the angle of his arm he might be going in for a grope, but that'd be speculation as it's out of frame. I'd personally like to give him a little credit. I feel like people are being a bit harsh with their wording. Yes he's being wildly inappropriate, but based on whats shown I'd hardly say he's sexually assaulting Faye. Assault implies violence and the only violence I see is Faye's.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #317 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:53 »

One the one hand, I've always been a believer of the idea that drunk words are sober thoughts. So Marten could very well just be an asshole. On the other hand, Marten could have very well just been spouting nonsense because he's hurt and wants everyone else to hurt like he does. Regardless, what he said was totally out of line. Faye hitting him was definitely impulsive and perhaps not the best of reactions, but she was definitely in the right putting him in his place.

I'm not going to judge Marten based on this just yet. He'll have the chance to redeem himself once he sobers up.
You got it right on the second one. The released 2-year-old believes strongly in "misery loves company." Does Marten believe this stuff? On some level, the bawling "it isn't faaaiiirrrr" child inside certinainly does. We all have thoughts like this, and we all suppress them because we know they're not a real evaluation of either our own situation or others. Normally, therefore, we keep them to ouselves. Enter Alk-ee-hol, the Great Liberator. 'Tis why many a folklore holds that strong drink in excess either allows in or releases devils in one's nature.

Having these thoughts makes Marten human, not an asshole. Faye has had similar thoughts—she's touched on them, in a less mean way, to Dora, so she should understand. And no, she didn't hit him for having them. Faye hit Marten for the same reason she (nearly) always his him—what she considered inappropriate touching. Supposedly, it's a nigh-uncontrollable reflex, as I recall. (Or so she's maintained.)

I do hope this's the bottom for Marten, but that all depends on how good he is at feeling sorry for himself. Up 'till now, I'd have said 'not very.' But he's been dragged here to an extent by Dora's condition (like I said, it's contagious), and also because he's hit a wall we've seen him nearing on other fronts for some time.

Like Odin, I gots theories on all this, which, like him, are placed elsewhere. Check into my posts if you want more.

Naah, didn't think so. S'al'right.

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #318 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:54 »

Okay, I...I will tell you, as a man who used to drink very regularly, alcohol does not "free" you from jack shit. It lowers your inhibitions, yes, but at the same time it poisons the emotional and logical centers of your brain in equal measure. Every time I gave tried to say something true while drunk, it was warped by the fact that I was fucking drunk. And woe betide me if I was upset about anything or worried about anything, because that was amplified up to the proverbial Eleven.

Drunk words are the sober thoughts of one's, as Akima put it, selfish inner two-year-old for whom everything is me, me, me. Alcohol is not a fucking mind freedom device, it is a brain poison. Faye is talking to a man with a poisoned brain.

Quoted for incredible truth. As a man who is an alcoholic, and will be for the rest of his life, I confirm your words, and shout them as 'Truth' to the stars.

I can't fault Faye for her handling of this situation. Marten was blatantly and obviously not responding correctly to a verbal dissuasion of his amorous efforts, and the physical response was justified. The only modifier I can see is the level of physical response, which we do not see. The panels flow equally for a push vs. a punch vs. a strike vs. The Five Fingers of Death.

Has Faye been studying a martial arts style? Has Jeph? That is a very intriguing stance she has there..  

Also, Jeph's art on Faye is zeroing in on one of my ex's, and it's messing with my HEEEEEEEEEADDDDDDDDDD.

Quote from: Some First Poster
Yes he's making an unwanted advance, but he's not really going in for a kiss. Heck he's farther away physically than the panel before when he's leaning on Faye.

Go for a re-read, watch the hands. Panel two, Marten's hands are clearly visible and they are not grabbing Faye. He may be leaning, but he is not attempting to impose physical control on her.

Panel Three, Marten's left hand has ahold of Faye's shoulder, and his right hand is unaccounted for - conceivably grasping her elbow or forearm, or her left hand.

Control the hand - control the person. Marten, at least at a subconscious level, is attempting to enforce his will upon Faye physically.

OH HAI VOICE OF EXPERIENCE.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 07:59 by Wiregeek »
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #319 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:56 »

Ok another newbie here. Plz forgive lol.

After reading all this sexual assault and groping business I had to go back and reread the comic to make sure I didn't miss anything. All I see is Marten saying things that are inappropriate. Yes he's making an unwanted advance, but he's not really going in for a kiss. Heck he's farther away physically than the panel before when he's leaning on Faye. Now you could argue that with the angle of his arm he might be going in for a grope, but that'd be speculation as it's out of frame. I'd personally like to give him a little credit. I feel like people are being a bit harsh with their wording. Yes he's being wildly inappropriate, but based on whats shown I'd hardly say he's sexually assaulting Faye. Assault implies violence and the only violence I see is Faye's.

Actually, to me, the position of his arms and the way he's leaning in do imply that he's going for something a bit more, ah, physical, despite the fact that she's pushing him away (which is why their bodies are further apart in that panel).  The intent is certainly there, based on what he's saying.  Of course, it's a webcomic and YMMV - I suppose we won't know for sure unless something's said outright.  

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #320 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:57 »

Wiregeek: From Twitter:

Quote from: @jephjacques
I'm glad someone caught that! RT @AbelUndercity: Faye's stance suggests some muay thai training.

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #321 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:57 »

ta-kun_1986: Yes, we're a bit harsh, I admit, but harassment doesn't have to be violent, it's harassment the second it's unwanted and you know about it. (In my opinion)

GeoffTheLlama: DARN! FORGOT THEM! THAT MAKES IT OK!

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #322 on: 15 Dec 2010, 07:59 »

Really, I think this is going to be made much smaller an issue in the comic (Or I certainly hope) than we're making it, which is basically going to boil down to:
Martin: Sorry I was such an asshole.
Faye: It's okay, you were drunk off your ass and just had a bad breakup. Sorry I had to knock you out.
Martin: At least it stopped me from making a bigger ass of myself.
*insert joke of the day, potentially involving glowing bourbon or a fleshlight*

Because really, he's depressed and he's drunk, that's kinda the key thing to remember. He's certainly let out a nugget of truth there amongst the bloated sense of self-worth, but surely to God Faye is aware he at least assisted in her ongoing recovery of her issues. And previously being an alcoholic, I'm sure she has plenty experience in speaking nonsense while under the influence. She'll be mature enough to take the words at face value; maybe give them a bit of thought, but overall will move past the comments with fair ease.

As for the extent of the "problem-solver", it's also something we're probably putting too much thought into. I mean, Faye hits people. It's what she does. She's the best at what she does. The degree may have been a bit over-the-top given what we can see, but she's also understandably mad in the heat of the moment with the drunk man's ramblings not exactly flattering her, on top of the whole "forcing a kiss" thing. Sure, a stern shove to the couch would have probably sufficed, but probably would have been out-of-character for her as well.

Heh, this reminds me of the chapter Faye and Dora found out about Steve and Marten's drunken mouth-to-mouth escapades. Maybe Marten just thought it was proper drunk etiquette to match lips with the first pair around.  :lol:

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #323 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:01 »

Wiregeek: From Twitter:

Quote from: @jephjacques
I'm glad someone caught that! RT @AbelUndercity: Faye's stance suggests some muay thai training.

Rock.  I am not a fighter, but I can recognize some stance when I see it. BRB, watching horrible wuxia wire-fu movies forever.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Laminator_X

• Not quite a lurker
    • Complaint Department
« Reply #324 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:03 »

What are women supposed to do, just let ourselves be groped?

Defend yourselves? Yes.

Needlessly bludgeon someone into unconsciousness? Only in a comic.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #325 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:03 »

He, it was just a joke, didn't mean to you take it seriously..
And of course! it's always nice to people join and have diferent points of views!

It's usually Yog-Sothoth. We have spare yerba mate and espresso's cheap enough...
Ugh, that's when it gets really nasty.... But it got me curious. How do you people (and i mean United Staste of Americans) prepare yerba mate? you put the herbs in a tea bag and it's like a regular tea?
'Cause here we use the "classic" way, with the gourd and silver straw and all that

Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

woa.
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #326 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:04 »

Assault implies violence and the only violence I see is Faye's.

Sexual assault doesn't require violence. It's just requires unwanted sexual contact.

Now whether you define the arm round the shoulder a sexual in the context of the strip is difficult call. I'm very narrowly coming down on the side of no, but that may reflect my bias in that I like Marten. However, it really doesn't look like it would take much to cross that boundary so I see Faye's punchiness as understanderble, if not perhaps fully justified.

Smoot

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #327 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:08 »

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
...And that was before I even started! Gah.

Recently-new member, if any "clique" has a problem they can meet me by the bike-racks after school.  :roll:

Anyway- Marten doesn't seem to have much in-between, does he? A lot of people were hoping he'd "show a spine" or what have you, I mean. Judging by this,he really only seems to have two 'gears': Very-Very Passive, and Dickish.

I'm not gonna suggest a storyline should involve him being in therapy (though I probably would if it happened IRL), because everyone did that for Dora, and Faye's in therapy, and Hanners of course- having the entire main cast in therapy just seems odd to me. But, man, learn some sort of behavior between "Okay world, run me over" and "utter jackass". (Fighting the monks doesn't count.)

In other news, Faye decks Marten... and since this was the main (Sorry there's no other word for it) punchline of the strip for a long time, at least it has a context that makes sense this time.  (That is, a lot of strips ended with: Marten says something vaguely offensive to Faye, next panel he's not visible because she Done KOed Him Again.)

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Must type faster.

ta-kun_1986

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #328 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:09 »

Just wanna point out I said assault not harassment, I never said harassment had to be violent. Assault on the other hand by definition is violent. I would agree that he's sexually harassing Faye but harassment can easily be just verbal. All I'm saying taken out of context would you automatically interpret the illustration as he's groping her if the dialogue where something completely different. I guess I just go based on what put in front of me. If Martens hand was shown in the vicinity of breast I'd automatically think groping but all you see is upper arm. I don't know, like I said I just want to give Marten more credit than that I guess.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #329 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:11 »

ta-kun_1986...

Sexual Assault requires no violence.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #330 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:12 »

EvilDog, I'm having trouble following your argument here. In the first paragraph you seem to shout "J'accuse!" at Faye for somehow giving her loyalties over to Dora, and then you opine that Marten desperately needs alone time and to be apart from everyone. This seems somewhat mutually exclusive--he needs hugs, but GO AWAY.

I will agree that perhaps his friends are not necessarily helping, but having also been Marten there? Nothing helps. The emotional pain is going to be there if people are there or no, and in my own experience, it can also be really helpful to have things like Hanners bringing you a worry hat or Tai hugging you (even if she does FIND THE NIPPLE), because that's your friends reaching out as best they can.

I think the issue may have to do with that even now Marten is not being honest, and he is most importantly not being honest with Faye, with his moirail, his soulbro, his boon fucking companion; he is putting up the wall of "I am bitter and angry and going to deal with this in a bitter manner and not have stupid feelings". This is not healthy. Sooner or later, you need to cry, Marten, you need to break down bawling, and Faye basically has her arms out, going "I AM HERE FOR YOU". And what does she get? The third degree. It is consummate bullshit. Marten will get his hugs when he cuts the tough guy crap.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

someone1074

« Reply #331 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

Just FYI, forced kissing and inappropriate/unwanted touching can fall under umbrella of sexual assault, supririsng as it sounds.

So anyone referring to this as sexual assault or sexual harrasment isn't completely off the mark. Some states are more strict than others.

ta-kun_1986

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #332 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

Ok not to get confrontational but "A: a violent physical or verbal attack" it's the first definition on websters online for assault. Violent is in the definition, I checked before I even wrote the first post so as to avoid this.

cyro

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Lurking in your dreams.
« Reply #333 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

Just sayin'.

So who's next on the list?

(I'm presuming mods are immune and get pimp-tastic robes for the ceremony.)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #334 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:16 »

throws out one of the douchiest, most pathetic come on lines I can think of.
See the last minute of the last video on http://www.sloshspot.com/blog/12-13-2010/Best-Sexual-Harassment-Training-Videos-387.

Grr:
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

someone1074

« Reply #335 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:18 »

Ok not to get confrontational but "A: a violent physical or verbal attack" it's the first definition on websters online for assault. Violent is in the definition, I checked before I even wrote the first post so as to avoid this.

Ta-kun, legally, 'Assault' and 'Sexual Assault' are very unique terms with very different definitions. Best not to muddle them. Especially since it's incredibly easy to meet the requirements for Assault than it is Sexual Assault.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #336 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:18 »

I dont know if this has already been posted yet, but i found a Hannelore @ Coffeestore crossover at todays Insane Yeti Squirrel Comic:

http://www.insaneyetisquirrel.com/comic/baby-its-cold-outside
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #337 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:19 »

We've all had it, we all know it's a busy time.  Perhaps there's not really any need to tell everyone any more.  And actually, if it irritates you, you can turn the warning off in your profile.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #338 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:20 »

Do you REALLY want to start an argument about this?

Really?

Seriously?

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #339 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:20 »

:roll:

Also from Webster's:
Definition of SEXUAL ASSAULT
: illegal sexual contact that usually involves force upon a person without consent or is inflicted upon a person who is incapable of giving consent (as because of age or physical or mental incapacity) or who places the assailant (as a doctor) in a position of trust or authority

Not that it matters, because it really doesn't.  Language doesn't operate strictly on dictionary definitions - there's a little thing called the vernacular to take into account.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2010, 08:26 by GeoffTheLlama »

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #340 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:21 »

Just wanna point out I said assault not harassment,

Within context, an arm on the shoulder can constitute sexual assault. You do not have to come into contact with parts of the body that are traditionally considered sexually sensitive.

As someone said, sexual assault really genuinely legally doesn't require a violent physical or verbal attack.

ta-kun_1986

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #341 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:22 »

Also I totally agreed on the harassment. I only pointed out that harassment can be only verbal, not that it couldn't be physical. Either I'm basically arguing semantics now and making myself look bad lol. Either way originally I was just trying point out there wasn't anything overt in the comic itself and I felt like people where all to ready to turn on Marten is all.

AnAverageWriter

« Reply #342 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:24 »

As someone said, sexual assault really genuinely legally doesn't require a violent physical or verbal attack.

Yep. To quote The National Center For Victims of Crime, "Basically, almost any sexual behavior a person has not consented to that causes that person to feel uncomfortable, frightened or intimidated is included in the sexual assault category."

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #343 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:25 »

I dont know if this has already been posted yet, but i found a Hannelore @ Coffeestore crossover at todays Insane Yeti Squirrel Comic:

Oooh, another webcomic for me to catch up on. Thanks. Nice cameo too.

We've all had it, we all know it's a busy time.  Perhaps there's not really any need to tell everyone any more.  And actually, if it irritates you, you can turn the warning off in your profile.

You can? Marvelous. I've been here a since last night and already that bugger was driving me mad. Thanks.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #344 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:26 »

That freakout expression is just perfect.

Cammy

• Plantmonster
  • Huzzah!
    • Cammy's Comic Corner
« Reply #345 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:26 »

Marten, Marten, Marten. You're going to be hating yourself for quite some time.

Seriously, I was cringing while reading that.
Cammy's Comic Corner
with
CammyKnoxville
every
Sunday
Cammy's Comic Corner - Holiday Gift Suggestions

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #346 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:27 »

The way I read it marten was joking before he got hit, that last comment anyways.

warning-while you were typing 22 new replies have been posted.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #347 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:28 »

Damn, the last couple weeks have been like a throwback to the old days; the weasels, Marten's mom, Faye decking Marten (though this time he deserved it), etc.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

songblade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #348 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:29 »

This isn't bottom - not yet.  Now, if Dora went over to Martin's to apologize and Martin drunkenly says something to irrevocably destroy any hope of them getting back together... then proceeds with his little bitter-fest vs. Faye, Sven and Angus (and everyone else, 'cause hey!) mixed with some depression-induced heavy drinking... and, oh... hmm... oH!  

It's all webcomic zen?  Faye's happiness is going up, so Marten's has to go down to compensate?

PureLionHeart

• Plantmonster
« Reply #349 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:33 »

It's all webcomic zen?  Faye's happiness is going up, so Marten's has to go down to compensate?
Wait, so then who's the Jerry Sei-errr, Even Steven in the equation?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up