Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which album did Mom bring?

The decent one
- 6 (8.5%)
The one with nothing but the pics of Marten in the bath
- 16 (22.5%)
The most horrifically embarassing one ever created without Photoshop and Pintsize
- 24 (33.8%)
Not sure, but Marty's not gonna be happy after his nap
- 23 (32.4%)
None, that's a mislabelled one of her's
- 2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Dec 20-24, 2010 (1821-1824)  (Read 113711 times)

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
Re: WCT Dec 20-24, 2010 (1821-1824)
« Reply #250 on: 22 Dec 2010, 21:18 »

I don't think I've ever seen Hanners without bags under her eyes and- OH GOD HANNERS IN FIRST PANEL IS THE CUTEST THING EVARRRRR!!!! AHGBLAUHGLABUGHALAH!!!!one
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #251 on: 22 Dec 2010, 21:24 »

Dang it, had finally been able to register, and just wanted to say how freaking cute Hanners looks in the first panel (as well as the rest of today's comic), but Exar Kun beat me to it.  :psyduck:

I'm curious as to what Veronica's motives are in all this. She (allegedly) came to help Marten get over his breakup, but her bluntness seems to be doing more harm than good for Marten's psyche.
Then again, by doing so she's giving Marten a reason not to dwell on the whole breakup, so that might be what's going on too. Time will tell!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #252 on: 22 Dec 2010, 21:40 »

I like the sweater Hanners is wearing, I see a lot of girls wearing them lately and the sweaters are pretty cute.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #253 on: 22 Dec 2010, 22:00 »

I cannot tell a lie; Hanners is very cute in today's comic. But just how many Martinis did Marten's Mum have at lunch? Not much of an internal censor there! Rule Of Funny...  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

tHEfOOL

• Larger than most fish
  • TAQUITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #254 on: 22 Dec 2010, 22:02 »

But anyway, i wonder how high are Veronica's rates...

*EDIT*
Ok, that sounded WAY less creepy in my head
I wonder WHY she would have any rates for THAT in the first place.

I wouldnt have thought that "Helping lesbians to pick up women at certain places" would be part of her job.

in her line of work time = money PERIOD, she get's paid when she spends time with people for their benefit
I will mail a flaming box of poop to the first person who suggests I "haven't met the right person".

Mabus_Zero

• Plantmonster
  • A Monk/Mr. Clean Hybrid
« Reply #255 on: 22 Dec 2010, 22:06 »

Fewer shippers FTW.

Was about to say....please don't make this evolve into Hanners bunking with Marten.....please!!!!!
'One guard tells only the truth, one only tells lies, and the other stabs people that ask tricky questions.'

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #256 on: 22 Dec 2010, 22:26 »

The perfectly normal ones are always the most screwed up. Or, as I like to saying, "Normal people are so weird."

I think I'll start a band called "The Perfectly Normal Weirdoes".
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #257 on: 22 Dec 2010, 23:55 »

Cute Hanners: My favorite is still #1313. Cutest Hanners ever !
Carpe Diem

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #258 on: 23 Dec 2010, 00:54 »

You know what Snubnose? Everyone seems to like that Hannelore comic for some reason!  :mrgreen: So, to get all the Hanner-d'aww out of the way: Yes, Hanners does look very cute today. I especially like how her hair becomes more frizzy the more worried she gets! As we've seen before, her hair is pretty untameable. (sp?)

I'm excited for Jeph's resolution for the week (ending with Faye I think.) But I think I'll really enjoy his Christmas comics, the Hannelore Q&A and all that jazz!  :-D 
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #259 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:09 »

NICE TACT MOM

I wonder WHY she would have any rates for THAT in the first place.

I wouldnt have thought that "Helping lesbians to pick up women at certain places" would be part of her job.

in her line of work time = money PERIOD, she get's paid when she spends time with people for their benefit

Little business cards that say "Veronica Vance:  Professional Dominatrix and Booty Acquisition Consultant"...

Was about to say....please don't make this evolve into Hanners bunking with Marten.....please!!!!!

Hanners herself ruled out having roommates already if I remember correctly, based on the severity of her own issues.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #260 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:20 »

Pretty sure if you lopped Randy's head off, not only would the body grow a new head, but the head would grow a new body...

Ouch. That would make for a badass Angband monster. Lernean Hydra squared.

And, yes, Hannelore's hair morphosing is just so. I also like the 'foof' effect.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #261 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:22 »

Wait, Hanners now shakes hands? Isn't that extremely unhygienic?

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #262 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:24 »

After some thinking I kind of wonder if Martens mom migfht be trying to get him angry at her or provoke an emotional response that isn't 'soul crushing despair'. It might not be what he needs at the moment but it keeps his mind off the immediate depression and it might help provide perspective.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #263 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:26 »

Would you deny Mrs. Reed a handshake if she were expecting one?

I suspect a little OCD scrubbing is far preferable to saying no.

Enduar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ale Iacta Est
« Reply #264 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:07 »

My take on this comic?

Hannelore's trying to impress Martin's Mother. Her hair looks as though it's been flattened/brushed (*apparently recently) to get ready to meet her.

*You can watch her hair revert back to it's usual fluffyness as the comic proceeds, haha.

I'm not going to infer anything more than that for the sake of this post being taken out of context.  :-P
Listen to my music!
Dead Planet Series

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #265 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:59 »

I want to thank Jeph for making a week of nice maternal shenanigans and general silliness while my other favorite comic, Homestuck, has been riding a tide of relentless fucked-up horror.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Random Wanderer

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #266 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:03 »

Really, woman? She says three sentences, and you can already tell enough about her personality to blurt out something like that? I thought Mrs. Reed was smarter than this.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #267 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:26 »

It sounds to me like we are applying different standards to Marten's behavior! It also sounds to me like the way you think a child should interact with their parents and the way I think a child should interact with their parents are so different that it is like we are from two different planets, and I will drop the matter because I don't see this going in a constructive direction.
I actually get that a surprising amount. It might have to do with my mother having been trained as a social worker before she had kids. Or it just might be a coincidence of the way she raised me.

I didn't ever say that that was--what? I don't even know where you're getting that. What I said was that sometimes parents will embarrass you, and I implied that this was sort of a fact of life, and that maybe what Veronica did, by her standards, was pretty normal parental behavior. Again, though, we appear to have really different standards!
Sorry, that was more responding to... somnus? Somnolus? Something eternus. Has a monkey as his picture.

Is it Cold In Here, sure, it has internal logic. I was saying that my objections didn't apply to the comic, that's all.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #268 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:56 »

She's doing it in a way that you can tell she's really making an effort and that it's not normal for her. Her "shake" hand is barely outstretched, and her other hand is curving inward, suggesting a touch of fear or apprehension.

Or I might be reading too much into it. Coin toss.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #269 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:29 »

*You can watch her hair revert back to it's usual fluffyness as the comic proceeds, haha.

I'm not going to infer anything more than that for the sake of this post being taken out of context.  :-P

I suddenly saw an image in my head of Hannelore getting an order for a drink at COD and her hair going back to fluffy-curly all at once as the order was given.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #270 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:32 »

She's doing it in a way that you can tell she's really making an effort and that it's not normal for her. Her "shake" hand is barely outstretched, and her other hand is curving inward, suggesting a touch of fear or apprehension.

Or I might be reading too much into it. Coin toss.

Not at all, Jeph's gotten really  good with body anguage, and as an OCD sufferer himself, gets it right with Hanners in this strip.  The other hand "curving inward" as you put it actually looks more to me like it's against her chest, holding back her anxiety over extending her hand to a stranger.  The slight stammer just emphasises it.  
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

tbones

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #271 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:07 »

I hate how Marten keeps looking more and more depressed....  :psyduck:

Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #272 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:17 »

I'm not going to infer anything more than that for the sake of this post being taken out of context.  :-P

I suddenly saw an image in my head of Hannelore getting an order for a drink at COD and her hair going back to fluffy-curly all at once as the order was given.

EDIT: I'm waiting for Marten to snap and launch into an "I'm not one of your clients, Mom; so stop with the make-my-son-feel-like-shit behavior!".
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2010, 07:24 by Odin »

Cammy

• Plantmonster
  • Huzzah!
    • Cammy's Comic Corner
« Reply #273 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:46 »

Awww, poor Hanners! She's trying so hard to be accepted as normal too!
Cammy's Comic Corner
with
CammyKnoxville
every
Sunday
Cammy's Comic Corner - Holiday Gift Suggestions

apopanda09

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #274 on: 23 Dec 2010, 08:36 »

I adore Hanners in this. I think it's awesome that as the comic progresses, her hair poofs back up. :D

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #275 on: 23 Dec 2010, 09:10 »

But just how many Martinis did Marten's Mum have at lunch? Not much of an internal censor there! Rule Of Funny...  :-D

Could be martinis, though I see no drunk bubbles.  Embarrassing your son is one thing, Ms. Reed, but insulting the polite stranger you just met is a jerk move, whatever you may have heard.  Tactless indeed.  Looking forward to further cast interactions!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #276 on: 23 Dec 2010, 09:48 »

Maybe being super-polite and inhibited is Marten's way of rebelling.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #277 on: 23 Dec 2010, 10:59 »

It must be Tuesday in the comic.

How do you know?

In real-Northampton, it being a small city, there aren't that many clubs - one of them (which is likely also "that gay nightclub down on Pleasant Street," even though it's only sort-of gay) holds a goth-themed Tuesday, and that's the only one I know, and presumably the only one he knows.  Of course, neither living in Northampton nor being especially gothic or much of a club hopper, I wouldn't know; moreover, this is not real-Northampton, this is funny-robot-allosaurus-world-Northampton, where there are all the clubs Jeph needs there to be.

Actually, I think it was simply a Hitchhiker's Guide reference.

"It must be Tuesday.  I never could get the hang of Tuesdays."
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #278 on: 23 Dec 2010, 11:09 »

Yeah.

Never mind.  Here, here's six Beers and a packet of Peanuts.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Coco

• Emoticontraindication
  • You can't be mad at me, I'm just a dog.
« Reply #279 on: 23 Dec 2010, 11:44 »

How do you know?

In real-Northampton, it being a small city, there aren't that many clubs - one of them (which is likely also "that gay nightclub down on Pleasant Street," even though it's only sort-of gay) holds a goth-themed Tuesday, and that's the only one I know, and presumably the only one he knows.  Of course, neither living in Northampton nor being especially gothic or much of a club hopper, I wouldn't know; moreover, this is not real-Northampton, this is funny-robot-allosaurus-world-Northampton, where there are all the clubs Jeph needs there to be.

I believe that would make it a Thursday. Of course, it has been some time since the last time I read it.
It took three years for bad lawyers to put an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life and 15 years for good lawyers to set him free.
"Getting to this point was way harder than it should be in a free country."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #280 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:13 »

Poor Hanners just can't catch a break.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

muscardinus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #281 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:34 »

How do you know?

I believe that would make it a Thursday. Of course, it has been some time since the last time I read it.

I just checked (I have the book on my Kindle) and it's indeed Thursday :)

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #282 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:00 »

How do you know?

I just checked (I have the book on my Kindle) and it's indeed Thursday :)

Is it bad that I knew he was wrong without needing to look up the book?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #283 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:10 »

Not at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #284 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:42 »

For comic #1824...

1. Don't Panic. :psyduck:

2. Love Hannelore's hair in panel #1, was kind of hoping that Hanners would be doing a hair-change, in lieu of Dora's year-quarterly (or would be "quarterly-year" for every three months...?) changes.

3. More Hannelore & Miss Reed strips would be great, but we have a lot of QC cast-members to get through while Marten's mom is around.  And I think we will be ending this holiday weekend with a Faye & Miss Reed strip.

4. I think Miss Reed's reaction to Hanners, after the initial surprise, is really more of a compliment than a worry.  After all, look how far everyone's favorite OCD CoD barista has come since first stalking a heart-broken indie boy, in character development.  It should be a relief to Hannelore that her first impression is "normal."  (whatever "normal" means...  I have yet to find a really good, tangible, definition)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #285 on: 23 Dec 2010, 15:59 »

Most people will understand just plain "quarterly" to mean every three months. Especially anyone who's ever had anything to do with a product release schedule.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Origamigryphon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #286 on: 23 Dec 2010, 16:52 »

I'll just throw in my two cents and say poke-slut Hanners is the cutest: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1660
You're only young once, but you can be immature FOREVER

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #287 on: 23 Dec 2010, 16:57 »

Why is it that every time, I read that as pokéslut? Too much exposure to Pokémon at a young age?

:psyduck:

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #288 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:10 »

Pretty sure if you lopped Randy's head off, not only would the body grow a new head, but the head would grow a new body...

Ouch. That would make for a badass Angband monster. Lernean Hydra squared.

And, yes, Hannelore's hair morphosing is just so. I also like the 'foof' effect.

Came here for this.

At first I almost didn't recognize her b/c her hair was so...coiffed I guess the term would be. Of course by panel 3 and 4 it was obviously Hanners.

Love the hair progression! :D

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #289 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:19 »

Holy quote funnel batman!  :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #290 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:49 »

Marten's mom could really have embarrassed him by pulling out the pictures while he was still in the room.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #291 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:50 »

Baby pictures FTW!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #292 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:51 »

Aaaaaaaand today's comic makes me glad that most of my baby photos (read as embarressing) are locked away in a safe location where no one can ever see them. I wanted to torch them but noooooooo, they're precious memories. Thats funny, coz I can't remember being a baby!

IlGreven

• Emoticontraindication
  • Also, no 4-year-olds on the pee-pee.
    • Grev's Big Journal Thingy
« Reply #293 on: 23 Dec 2010, 19:53 »

She doesn't seem to be the kind of mom who would bring baby pictures with her when she visits her kid.

I'd expect whips, handcuffs, and chains, but not baby pictures.
A gigantic force on the 'Net, and even BIGGER in person.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #294 on: 23 Dec 2010, 20:13 »

She's the sort of mom who would knit a Worry Hat.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #295 on: 23 Dec 2010, 20:21 »

She doesn't seem to be the kind of mom who would bring baby pictures with her when she visits her kid.

Sure, she's pretty open about what she does, that doesn't mean she has to pack her work gear when she's goes on vacation. She's visiting her kid, not a client.

Also, am I like the only parent in the world who doesn't carry a photo album in her purse? 'Cause people on movies and tv always seem to have kid pics to pull out at the drop of a hat.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2010, 20:23 by maddness »
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #296 on: 23 Dec 2010, 20:35 »

I have a few in my wallet...

Most of them are horribly outdated.  The most recent ones of my kids are over ten years old, and the one of my wife is her HS graduation photo...

'sokay.  Nobody's got pics of me.  We found one from several years back recently, and most people's reaction was, "Gee, you look really weird with all that hair!"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #297 on: 23 Dec 2010, 20:53 »

Also, am I like the only parent in the world who doesn't carry a photo album in her purse? 'Cause people on movies and tv always seem to have kid pics to pull out at the drop of a hat.

Ms. Reed probably regrets that she didn't have them the last time she was there to show his friends.

Good to see she has SOME tact to not pull that out while he was in the room.

Why the hell would she have those things when she visits her friggin kid? I'm sure she has the magical ability to separate her job from being a mother.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #298 on: 23 Dec 2010, 20:57 »

Ah baby pictures-the parental WUH (Weapon of Ultimate Humiliation). Glad mine were lost years ago.
"Lost"-Heh heh heh...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #299 on: 23 Dec 2010, 21:20 »

Does that album say "Marten Reed" or "Master Reed"?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up