Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moment of the Week Time:

"Coffee tastes so much better when it's made by a beautiful woman."
- 6 (7.5%)
But doesn't that FREAK YOU OUT?
- 16 (20%)
He was trying to flirt with you. (Well he wasn't very good at it!)
- 11 (13.8%)
Padma vs. Faye!
- 3 (3.8%)
Muay Thai vs. Punch-fu (Savannah-style)
- 2 (2.5%)
Would you PLEASE stop SPARRING in the middle of the STREET
- 8 (10%)
Ed Bronchovsky's in Greenfield
- 0 (0%)
The big oven explosion of '98.
- 1 (1.3%)
Glass eye and the twitch
- 1 (1.3%)
We miss you... everyone but Renee
- 0 (0%)
Gee, that romantic arc sounds awfully familiar.
- 0 (0%)
She even LOOKS like you, Faye...
- 0 (0%)
So I have a type!
- 0 (0%)
She's even CRANKY like Renee!
- 1 (1.3%)
It's not the only reason I like you.
- 0 (0%)
Hidden core of pure, molten bitchnium
- 8 (10%)
MY eventual goal is to be an evil millionaire...
- 1 (1.3%)
I am your type, after all.
- 22 (27.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 February 2011 (1856-1860)  (Read 74977 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 7-11 February 2011 (1856-1860)
« on: 06 Feb 2011, 08:52 »

So many questions, not enough panels to answer them all.

(By the way: GO PACKERS!)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ndperfesser

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT 7-11 February 2011 (1856-1860)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2011, 13:36 »

While we are waiting for the game to start and the comic to drop, I thought I would point out that Jeph has posted a collage of how Faye has changed over the years on his tumblr. I have to say, my personal preference in his artwork was during the 1400-1600 strips. I think he hit the sweet spot at that point between proficiency and exuberance. While Jeph's art has improved over the last 250 strips, he has been working hard on adding subtleties to his drawing. I think that has sapped a bit of the spontaneity out of the strip's art. Still, this is the only webcomic I like enough to actually hang out in the forums, so he is doing something right. What do you think of Jeph's evolution as an artist?
So, on topic, do you think Jeph will recreate strip 723 with Faye and Marigold?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2011, 13:58 »

So, on topic, do you think Jeph will recreate strip 723 with Faye and Marigold?
An interesting idea. Some modifications are needed for it work. At least because Marigold and Faye aren't nearly as close friends as Dora and Faye already were at that time.  I also vote for Momo talking in her dreams on the sofa in place of Hannelore!
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2011, 21:30 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2011, 14:41 »

An interesting idea. Some modifications are needed for it work. At least because Marigold and Faye aren't nearly as close friends as Dora and Faye were at that time.  I also vote for Momo talking in her dreams on the sofa in place of Hannelore!
Do anthro-PCs dream of electric Harrison Fords? Or Svens?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2011, 14:49 »

(By the way: GO PACKERS!)

Tonight, I am torn.

You see, my two favorite NFL teams are the Browns and the Falcons.

As a Browns fan, I am bound by blood oath to hate the Steelers and everything they stand for, but the Packers eleminated the Falcons, so can I hope they both lose?

Also, did Jimmie Johnson just say that Rothlesberger has a lot of sex?

Oh he said "sacks."

Never mind.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2011, 20:02 »

Woot!  Pack!  And Comic!  I think I'm getting the first post-comic thing up too!  Firsts...

I think that we just need to get back into a regular roll.  Whatever happens, happens.  Also, Hanners is awesomely cute!
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

Dreyden

• Not quite a lurker
  • Herp Derp
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2011, 20:18 »

Hope all you Packer fans are enjoying your moment!

The art was really well done here, you can see how into that thought process Hanners was. One of these days a guy will be able to match Hanners' neurosis and the lulz shall commence!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:02 »

Quote from: Jeph
Tonight there was a really big football game that the Green Bay Packers won! This newspost will seem quaint and anachronistic after the machine overlords have enslaved humanity and outlawed "football" in five years.

Phhpbbbbttt. :P

If you didn't want me to use Hannelore in a Packers cap as an Avatar, you could have just sent me a message.

;)
Just another Joe like 46

Sharp

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:26 »

Hannelore's intent lean in panel 4 is adorable. And it's funny that rather than be flattered that he was flirting with her, she can shake it off. It shows that while she may still be oblivious, she's not as...whats a good word for it...easy to please? Like, I can see Marigold getting all flustered and stammering if someone even told her of second-hand flirtations.  :roll:

Afterthought: Wait a second, what is wrong with that dude?! Why run you fool?! The fact that it's Hannelore talking doesn't factor into this, but if I met a girl who could go off on such an intelligent tangent I would be head over heels! Ah, my weakness for intelligent women...
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2011, 21:32 by Sharp »
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:27 »

I wonder what Hannellore would think about all that confetti being ejected onto the field at the end of the game... not that she'd do too well at a major sporting event, anyway, I would imagine.

AngryCallCenterAgent

• "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:34 »

Hannelore's really coming together, isn't she? I mean, I always thought she'd be wearing long sleeved shirts, and look at what she's wearing here. Say, is that a green bra?? :-o Gotta love all her expressions in this installment, still. Kudos with the art improvement skills, Jeph!
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:40 »

I wonder what Hannellore would think about all that confetti being ejected onto the field at the end of the game... not that she'd do too well at a major sporting event, anyway, I would imagine.

Are you kidding? 103k other people? She'd be hysterical before she even got to her seat!

...That's why she watches the games at home. On TV. Through her satellite link from her dad's station.

(Fixed due to AUS nerdiness ;) )
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 06:37 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #12 on: 06 Feb 2011, 21:57 »

And it's funny that rather than be flattered that he was flirting with her, she can shake it off.
Personally, her reaction just made giggle "Way to go Hanners!". Why on earth would she, an intelligent young woman, be flattered by a clumsy, hackneyed line like that? As Hanners herself put it: "Well he wasn't very good at it!"

Through her satellite uplink from her dad's station.
That would be a downlink from. She uses her uplink for transmitting data (surveillance video, Winslow's backups, Marten's genetic profile etc.) to the station. Yes, data communication nerdery is part of my job, why do you ask?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2011, 22:22 »

Ahh...there's the Hanners that's been sorely missing for the last several months [of real time].
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #14 on: 06 Feb 2011, 22:52 »

Oh Hannelore, how I missed your intelligently oblivious tangents.  :laugh:

Bastion

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #15 on: 06 Feb 2011, 23:38 »

What the fuck is hannelore staring at?Her eyes aren't focused on the dude.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb 2011, 00:00 »

And it's funny that rather than be flattered that he was flirting with her, she can shake it off.
Personally, her reaction just made giggle "Way to go Hanners!". Why on earth would she, an intelligent young woman, be flattered by a clumsy, hackneyed line like that? As Hanners herself put it: "Well he wasn't very good at it!"
Uh, actually he not too bad, as far as I can tell. For a normal woman, that might totally have worked. Was it his fault that Hanners has finer tastes ? He only lost because he didnt accepted the challenge.
Carpe Diem

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: 07 Feb 2011, 00:03 »

Of course not. She's focused on the ultimately subjective nature of sensory perception and its effects on that which we think of as objective reality. What's a dude with a plaid shirt and a lame line got to match that?
Also, I too am glad to see Hanners back as a mostly-contemporary of the Northhampton bunch; Hanners-as-everyone's-little-sister is uber-adorable, but she has some social-circle maintenance to do, and she needs to get sick of their shit ... in her usual catalytic, constructive way, of course.
... Man, that must have been some movie she and Marigold watched last night, hey?
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 00:05 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 07 Feb 2011, 00:32 »

That's shooting down a player with a Minigun.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Antario

• Larger than most fish
  • Evil eye is watching you
« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2011, 01:40 »

While we are waiting for the game to start and the comic to drop, I thought I would point out that Jeph has posted a collage of how Faye has changed over the years on his tumblr. I have to say, my personal preference in his artwork was during the 1400-1600 strips.

Agree, its not that i hate the current look.....I just like the old one a lot better

Yeah jeph kinda messed up on the direction of her right eye, but more importantly   what the fuck did jeph to do hanners hair?   1856  vs 1855 or 1841
She looks much better with very short hair

also, if we have hanners's hair to go by as a timeframe we just skipped ahead by a 9 months to a year.....

But hanners is improving, or maybe its because she was totally oblivious... was a lot worse with the sjmdhmfgjhnrj

Dora's reaction seems odd, given that 100 strips ago Hanners and Cosette were being [url=http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1752]trained[/url] in Proposition Avoidance and Countermeasures...

Am I the only person who's never noticed the emoticon coffee cups before?

that was more to avoid really bad or awkward reactions from the both of them, not that they had to turn them down alltogether...

And yes, you are
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 01:51 by Antario »

Sharp

• Hanging the toilet paper upside down.
« Reply #20 on: 07 Feb 2011, 02:16 »

I'm thinking that Hanner's "normal" hair is unkempt and just "as is." Today it looks like she brushed it, so it looks longer. She had the same look when she met Veronica in the hall.
Oh, UMASS fratboys.  Where don't you show up drunk?
[quote author

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2011, 02:22 »

hmm your right, you cant tell she has that much hair behind hear ears normally though

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #22 on: 07 Feb 2011, 03:30 »

Yeah jeph kinda messed up on the direction of her right eye, but more importantly what the fuck did jeph to do hanners hair?

This is not an injunction to stop talking about it, but do keep in mind what Jeph wrote in the forums rules on this matter:

Nitpicking and/or placing way too much importance on minutiae while missing the big picture is probably Jeph's biggest pet peeve. Not every little detail is Fraught With Meaning. Sometimes the artist is just having fun. Maybe that character's clothing or hair changed simply because the artist got bored with drawing it the same way.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #23 on: 07 Feb 2011, 03:41 »

CoD back in the strip, Marten getting post-mumcalypse move on started, social circle returning to business as usual. But hold on, what's that on the horizon? Oh yes, it's Valentines Day. A quick run down the cast list suggests that there aren't any feasible potential romantic interludes that could be engineered in the space of a week so I'm wondering if Jeph is queing up some tasty, tasty awkwardness for us?

If so, will it be;
Marten & Dora
Marigold & Angus
Faye & Sven
Other?

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #24 on: 07 Feb 2011, 04:00 »

or maybe he will skip it altogether, since comic time doesnt really run sync with RL time

but if anything its gona be marten & dora, we already had marigold and angus (unless this week is all CoD and he is saving that theorized 'midnight itch' aftermath for next week), and faye&sven...meh cant see why    unless he has another 'he misses your body' type of encounter....which would be totally out of character

This is not an injunction to stop talking about it, but do keep in mind what Jeph wrote in the forums rules on this matter:

your right, damn that line is easy to cross..
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 04:07 by Antario »

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #25 on: 07 Feb 2011, 04:06 »

Marten & Dora
Marigold & Angus
Faye & Sven

No, no and no. I predict nothing will happen for Valentine's Day. If anything, it won't be Marten or Dora (both still hurting). Maybe Faye and Angus might go on a Valentine's date but I suspect they'll just continue crawling along at their current rate.

Can't see Sven getting it on with anyone, no plausible single girls left in the story.

Maybe Marigold will feel sorry for herself all day, being all alone with Valentine's spam filling her inbox while Faye and Angus made love noises in the next room. Then just as her self-loathing and pity are peaking, Dale challenges her. Cue confrontation that results in furious battle/flirting.

That's the only love-based story arc I can see. But yeah, nothing is most likely.

akronnick

« Reply #26 on: 07 Feb 2011, 04:11 »

Jeph has been doing QC for going on eight years now, and not once has there been an in continuity tie-in to any holiday.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

sluthy

« Reply #27 on: 07 Feb 2011, 04:21 »

He did reference Thanksgiving once, but yeah, apart from that any Xmas/NYE stuff was just candy.

Antario

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #28 on: 07 Feb 2011, 04:47 »

well the story kinda runs along the same date as we do now, if he ever wanted to pitch in valentines this would be a good time...

carg1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #29 on: 07 Feb 2011, 05:15 »

Poor me.  I probably would've found the conversation interesting.  At that point: A) I end up getting pulled further down into madness and I'd be too polite to say so, so I'd have Hanners waiting for me with more than I can handle every time I get a coffee forever, or B) I somehow manage to wrangle a date out of it and end up back at A.  Its Hanners, though.  An acquired taste if there ever was one.  What I have to ask myself, from his position, is was it worth it?

akronnick

« Reply #30 on: 07 Feb 2011, 05:45 »

well the story kinda runs along the same date as we do now, if he ever wanted to pitch in valentines this would be a good time...

That's probably wrong because it's been winter in QC for about two years now.

The time jump when Dora grew her hair out was mid winter, and we're just now getting to the point where ladies are forgetting their jackets.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #31 on: 07 Feb 2011, 06:02 »

Tonight there was a really big football game that the Green Bay Packers won! This newspost will seem quaint and anachronistic after the machine overlords have enslaved humanity and outlawed "football" in five years.

No risk of that - the overlords will recognize the "bread and circuses" required to keep us quiet.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

tbones

« Reply #32 on: 07 Feb 2011, 06:12 »

Quote from: Hanners
But doesn't that FREAK YOU OUT?

Moment of the week.

Of every week.

Forever.
Expecting that life will treat you well because you are good, it's like expecting a bull won't charge at you because you are vegetarian.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #33 on: 07 Feb 2011, 06:55 »

No risk of that - the overlords will recognize the "bread and circuses" required to keep us quiet.

That or hooking us up as giant batteries...

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #34 on: 07 Feb 2011, 07:34 »

Nah, when the computers decide to do that IRL they won't be stupid enough to ignore much better sources of power. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: 07 Feb 2011, 08:43 »

Phhpbbbbttt. :P

If you didn't want me to use Hannelore in a Packers cap as an Avatar, you could have just sent me a message.

;)
Meh. Hanners wearing a Cheesehead, now ... Comedy gold, lemme tell ya. With a side of D'awwww.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #36 on: 07 Feb 2011, 08:44 »

Can't see Sven getting it on with anyone, no plausible single girls left in the story.

He starts dating the Secret Bakery version of Faye without consciously noticing the similarities until one day it suddenly hits him and he goes in to a downward spiral that concludes with Angus in a pit of lime and Faye bricked in his basement.  :-o

I may have been watching too many weird movies lately ...  :psyduck:
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #37 on: 07 Feb 2011, 08:46 »

You need help.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #38 on: 07 Feb 2011, 08:48 »

How much lime do you need?

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #39 on: 07 Feb 2011, 09:32 »

That's shooting down a player with a Minigun.

I am now imagining Hanners as the Heavy from TF2. "What's that coffee? Kill them all? Good idea!"

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #40 on: 07 Feb 2011, 09:39 »

"What's that, coffee? Kill them all? Good idea!"

Now that's  coffee talk!!
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 21:48 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #41 on: 07 Feb 2011, 09:44 »

For comic #1856...

1. I do not think the Robot Overlords would outlaw american football, I think they would just start fielding their own teams :wink: .  ("Welcome to Super Bowl LIX!  Today the San Francisco SkyNets will be going up against the Denver Broncos for the championship after winning over the Miami Matrixes...")

2. As always, Hannelore is good for a funny, even when she herself is not trying to be funny &/or CoD-barista-sarcastic.  Panel #4 definitely had me chuckling.

3. It would be "interesting" to see if there will be a CoD regular patron who comes in because he likes Hannelore despite, or because of, her quirks.  What kind of boy would be "Angus" to Hannelore's "Faye"...?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #42 on: 07 Feb 2011, 09:59 »

I liked it because it was more than just Hannelore thinking about philosophy and science.

She has ample reason from her own life to reflect on how brain chemistry threatens one's faith in objective reality, even without her hallucinations.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #43 on: 07 Feb 2011, 12:45 »

The BIG question of the week:

How will the Faye/Angus sleepover turn out?    - 17 (23.3%)
Will Hanners actually be able to watch the movie?    - 1 (1.4%)
Is Dora finally going to go to therapy?    - 16 (21.9%)
Will Sven actually finish reading his book?    - 5 (6.8%)
How are Cosette and Steve doing?    - 1 (1.4%)
Will Pintsize actually start being more sympathetic?    - 0 (0%)
Will Tai find love in the library stacks?    - 3 (4.1%)
What about the Secret Bakery people?    - 22 (30.1%)
Will there be waffles?    - 8 (11%)

Total Voters: 73
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #44 on: 07 Feb 2011, 12:59 »

Waffles are on the decline then.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #45 on: 07 Feb 2011, 13:00 »

Waffles are on the decline then.

There is no country for old waffles.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #46 on: 07 Feb 2011, 13:02 »

if I met a girl who could go off on such an intelligent tangent I would be head over heels! Ah, my weakness for intelligent women...

Word!   She had me at:  

"...the chemicals in your head are LYING TO YOU!  You can't count on your own brain to present an objective view of reality!"

I'm in love.  (Or are my chemicals lying to me?)

My brain releases more happy-chemicals in proximity to Hannelore, coloring my perception of QC.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2011, 13:29 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

soonerdog

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #47 on: 07 Feb 2011, 13:11 »

We've seen Hanners react like this to a compliment before...
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1762

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 07 Feb 2011, 14:30 »

Hannelore Elcotte-Chatham

Faye Whittaker

Dora Bianchi

The Coffeenator