Poll

MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!!!!

Best Birthday Party Ever!
- 1 (1.4%)
Ask him how he met his GIRLFRIEND.
- 1 (1.4%)
Wait, so you guys AREN'T a couple?
- 10 (13.5%)
If I were into dudes, I could do WAY better than that!
- 1 (1.4%)
You were FLIRTING with me! And you have a GIRLFRIEND!
- 0 (0%)
MARTEN's the one who wanted to get his flirt on with you.
- 2 (2.7%)
You made it AWKWARD. Maybe it wouldn't have BEEN Awkward...
- 0 (0%)
Talker Johnson PI - he talks too much, and somehow that helps him solve crimes.
- 14 (18.9%)
I'm not even sure what they're trying to do
- 1 (1.4%)
Oh, look at the time, I'd better get going.
- 0 (0%)
Elliot: "I'm sure Padma won't make a..."
- 0 (0%)
AAAAAA! How can a dude your size be so stealthy?
- 6 (8.1%)
I tend to quietly loom. It's a problem.
- 11 (14.9%)
Eww, you eat beef jerky? It could be butt-meat!
- 3 (4.1%)
It came from the steak part of the cow.
- 4 (5.4%)
Bee arr bee.
- 1 (1.4%)
Did you eat all my jerky? (MO! Mayme...)
- 10 (13.5%)
I'm gonna have a heart attack!
- 0 (0%)
If you could get a heart attack from ONE bag of jerky...
- 1 (1.4%)
OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL
- 8 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 21-25 February 2011 (1866-1870)  (Read 82767 times)

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
Re: WCDT: 21-25 February 2011 (1866-1870)
« Reply #50 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:19 »

That seems to me like kind of a dick way to bring Steve back to reality, but I guess Steve shouldn't really have been flirting with Padma anyway.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 13:21 by The Duke »
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:27 »

Marten would be justified in throwing his drink in her face. Seriously, two guys, in a bar, just talking, so they HAVE TO be gay? Really? REALLY?

Only if you're such a homophobe that you feel being called gay is a huge insult to Marten somehow. First of all, she never said they HAD to be gay cause they were talking--she just said she assumed they were. So what? Maybe if he were there with Hannelore, Padma'd have assumed Hannelore was his girlfriend. And you don't even know what else went into the assumption--maybe the way Marten acted when he came in for his coffee and a danish. maybe the way Steve was hanging on him when trying to get him to share his feelings. Maybe something else.  

Do you throw a drink in people's faces each time they make a totally harmless assumption about you? I was at my highschool reunion the other month, and I was standing next to an old friend, and another classmate assumed I was his (pregnant!) wife and asked about the baby. I didn't throw my drink in her face.

You seem to have some SERIOUS anger issues here, dude.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 14:09 by JackFaerie »

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #52 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:33 »

Marten would be justified in throwing his drink in her face. Seriously, two guys, in a bar, just talking, so they HAVE TO be gay? Really? REALLY?

I think that'd be pretty unreasonable, and fairly out-of-character for Marten.  Being mistaken for being gay isn't an insult.  It was an honest mistake.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:37 »

Only if you're such a homophobe that you feel being called gay is a huge insult to Marten somehow. First of all, she never said they HAD to be gay cause they were talking--she just said she assumed they were. So what? Maybe if he were there with Hannelore, Padma'd have assumed Hannelore was his girlfriend. And you don't even know what else went into the assumption--maybe the way Marten acted when he came in for his coffee and a danish. maybe the way Steve was hanging on him when trying to get him to share his feelings. Maybe something else. 

I see we're on the same wavelength here!  I didn't see your post before I posted (I've been having some computer issues), so my apologies for being repetitive!

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #54 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:55 »

Fine. Maybe it was an overreaction. Maybe it's just a little displaced anger at the fact that this comic isn't "Questionable Content", so much as it's "Let's Slap Marten In The Mouth Daily".

ONE BREAK, Jeph. Marten runs into an old friend, they have a pleasant, snarky time. Alt-Faye and Marten hit it off. Hell, Marten gets his tax refund, buys a PS3 and starts a league on DC Universe Online with Marigold. SOMETHING. I am REALLY tired of having my mood wrecked every time this comic updates.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 21 Feb 2011, 14:19 »

ONE BREAK, Jeph. Marten runs into an old friend, they have a pleasant, snarky time. Alt-Faye and Marten hit it off. Hell, Marten gets his tax refund, buys a PS3 and starts a league on DC Universe Online with Marigold. SOMETHING. I am REALLY tired of having my mood wrecked every time this comic updates.

You know, depending on how you look at it, Marten's totally getting a break. If you look at it as "nothing but that any girl he might be into has to fully and immediately reciprocate will do!" then yeah, he's not catching a break. But in terms of positive things happening to him? He just received indication that Padma a) remembers him as a regular customer, b) thinks he's nice enough to call over c) appears to wish to befriend him.

Yeah, she's not offering him her vagina right away, but in my book making a new friend is a plus. If I ran into someone who works at a local coffeeshop at a bar and they were friendly and welcoming and started up a conversation with me and tried to bring me into their friends circle, I would consider that a flattering and very pleasant occurrence regardless of whether romance was involved.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #56 on: 21 Feb 2011, 16:55 »

I'm not sure about Padma and Renee sticking around. Having two characters introduced who are in essence bizzarro versions of protagonists is going to get a little old, unless Jeph has a twist in store for us.

I'm pretty sure this is the route we're taking. Remember what I said before: we all have our initial opinions of people, and then - as we get to know them, learn more about them and who they are, what they believe, and all that - we find all sorts of new and different ways to hate their guts.  :roll:

Seriously, though: think about our current cast of characters. Marten was the mopey emo indie boy. Steve was the "ladies man". Faye was the indie chick. Dora was the goth girl. Do all of these shorthand descriptions still describe our four main characters? I doubt it.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2011, 16:57 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #57 on: 21 Feb 2011, 17:51 »

When I was in High School, a couple of friends of mine set off a flashbang grenade during drama class, as part of a skit they were doing.  It actually knocked over everyone in the room, and burned the teacher's eyebrows off.

I don't recall for sure, but I don't remember them getting a particularly good grade...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #58 on: 21 Feb 2011, 19:01 »

I'm already comfortable with the idea Padma is more than simply Dora-with-a-twist, and wonder what nuances Renee will bring; one thing Jeph has NOT written so far is a "simple" character. So I welcome the new wrinkles provided by our new "pretty good" bakery.
That said, one place I hope the story returns to soon is what I see as the center core of the strip: Marten and Faye.
No, I'm not "shipping." But I think (slightly departing from my fellow forumites who say, with some justification, the strip is mostly about Faye) that F-M is the core: Marten-and-Faye as new acquaintances, friends, coulda-been-lovers, roommates, hell-or-high-water friends (The Pugnacious Peach is depicted as the kind of person whom I call "fierce friend") -- but the last time we saw them together, in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Veronica, Marten's mouth had again operated independently of his brain and Faye's expression looked to me a little hurt and sad and resigned to the discovery her flower-pitted true friend is also a bit of a doofus.
Of course, now that I've said that, we'll have a strip this week of Marten and Faye laughing drunkenly together on the couch over Marten's Steve story. Top hats and ushankas will be in evidence, and Hanners will be discovered on the floor behind the couch, wearing a lampshade and being soundly trounced by Pintsize in drunken Scrabble.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2011, 19:33 »

Revelation of the week?

Padma was just kidding about Steve.    - 12 (13.6%)
Elliot really has the hots for Renee.    - 3 (3.4%)
Renee will go ape$#!+ when she finds out about Faye.    - 16 (18.2%)
Cross-neck scar guy is Tai's brother.    - 4 (4.5%)
Elliot lives with Padma in an apartment.    - 6 (6.8%)
The Faerie Girl is Penelope's sister!    - 8 (9.1%)
Elliot has an AnthroPC named Stewie.    - 6 (6.8%)
Renee is really Tai's sister.    - 3 (3.4%)
Padma is really Tai's sister.    - 4 (4.5%)
Steve worked with Renee in the DOKYA.    - 8 (9.1%)
MOAR PINTSIZE!!!!!11!!!!!!!!    - 7 (8%)
Where's the waffles?    - 11 (12.5%)

Total Voters: 88

I don't think I'm gonna change the poll for a few days.
Just another Joe like 46

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #60 on: 21 Feb 2011, 20:18 »

You know, depending on how you look at it, Marten's totally getting a break. If you look at it as "nothing but that any girl he might be into has to fully and immediately reciprocate will do!" then yeah, he's not catching a break. But in terms of positive things happening to him? He just received indication that Padma a) remembers him as a regular customer, b) thinks he's nice enough to call over c) appears to wish to befriend him.

Yeah, she's not offering him her vagina right away, but in my book making a new friend is a plus. If I ran into someone who works at a local coffeeshop at a bar and they were friendly and welcoming and started up a conversation with me and tried to bring me into their friends circle, I would consider that a flattering and very pleasant occurrence regardless of whether romance was involved.

You said this way better than I could have.  You don't need girls crawling all over you to 'catch a break'. I dunno, I always thought making new friends was a good thing.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #61 on: 21 Feb 2011, 22:02 »

You said this way better than I could have.  You don't need girls crawling all over you to 'catch a break'. I dunno, I always thought making new friends was a good thing.

I'm in complete agreement with you guys on this. Not to mention, after being in a long relationship with someone, and even living with them, it's not necessary to hop back on the dating horse right away. It's okay to take a little bit of time.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #62 on: 21 Feb 2011, 23:40 »

Talker Johnson, PI. He keeps talking, and he fights crime.

No, I'm not going to TV trope that.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #63 on: 21 Feb 2011, 23:42 »

Obviously, the plan was that there was no plan at all...!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #64 on: 21 Feb 2011, 23:43 »

"It's a web comic... about NOTHING!"
Just another Joe like 46

CEOIII

« Reply #65 on: 21 Feb 2011, 23:46 »

..........I take it back. I can now see EXACTLY how she saw them as gay.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2011, 23:52 »

Padma does a great angry face.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:02 »

They still think Marten and Steve are gay.  This is gonna go places.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #68 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:02 »

Quote from: The IT Crowd
...like a pair of horrible old women

This week is great

xD

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #69 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:15 »

They still think Marten and Steve are gay.  This is gonna go places.

They're not really helping their own case with their lovers spat-esque bickering.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #70 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:21 »

Ya know, I'm really starting to like Padma (I always always want to say Padme though. And I'm not even that big a fan of Star Wars!  :psyduck:)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #71 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:36 »

Ok, fighting like an old married couple isn't gonna aide their "We're not gay." cause right now.

I wonder if they'll come to blows?

Bitchfight anyone??!    :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Fissioninferno

• Not quite a lurker
  • Party-Bringer
    • Flaming Atom, Tumblr or some crap
« Reply #72 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:36 »

Bitchfight anyone??!    :-D

There is nothing about that I wouldn't like.

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #73 on: 22 Feb 2011, 00:40 »

I think Padma's just messing with them.  She probably didn't think they weren't a couple, but it sure did put them in their place.  It's like an elaborate way of saying that she wasn't interested in them the way they may have thought.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #74 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:04 »

It's very simple, Akima: They fight crime.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #75 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:04 »

Oh god, there are so many jokes I could do. One liner or glasses, it's so hard. How about:

Sir, it looks like the victim and another man were arguing in a bar right before the murder. He was shot four times, but only the last bullet was fatal.
Well, it looks like...
*glasses*
He had one too many.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

It's very simple, Akima: They fight crime.
No no, that's too easy. What's really fun is this
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 03:27 by westrim »

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #76 on: 22 Feb 2011, 03:11 »

I wonder if they'll come to blows?

Doesn't everyone?

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #77 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:22 »

..........I take it back. I can now see EXACTLY how she saw them as gay.

This.  They're like this adorable old married couple that can't help but constantly bicker.  Combine this with Steve being willing to kiss anything while drunk...

foolsguinea

« Reply #78 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:24 »

Oh. now Padma's just trolling.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #79 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:32 »

...Combine this with Steve being willing to kiss anything while drunk...

I LOVE YOU, MAN!  *hic!*
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #80 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:29 »

I actually laughed.   

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:51 »

Hmmm has anyone considered the fact that Steve just told Marten he likes having a finger up his ass five minutes before someone wonders if he's gay? Maybe that's why he freaked? In my experience, most guys (gay and straight) really like that particular sexual move, but straight guys get weird about it and wonder what it means about them sexually. Doesn't stop them from requesting it though.

I guess what I'm saying is that contextually, perhaps he's not so much offended as he is worried.

Just a thought.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:03 »

Marten, um... didn't you go over to flirt?  You're not seeing anyone...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #83 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:35 »

Could it be that our dear Padma is a bit clueless at times? Perhaps like a certain barista (or two?) we know?

Here's my argument: Yes, the characters at our new locale (TSB) are similar to our current cast of characters - but not in the same package.

Padma is showing some signs of forgetfulness/clumsiness/obliviousness, akin to Cosette. She's also got some entrepreneurial talent, similar to Dora. She also appears to be clueless about relationships, like our protagonist Marten.

I suspect that as we learn more about the rest of the characters (namely, Renee, Elliot and Cross-Tattoo-on-Neck Guy) that they'll have aspects of their COD counterparts - but not in the ways we expect them to have them.

For example, I'm betting CrossNeckGuy may be a combination of Sven (lothario), Steve ("the good buddy"), maybe a tad bit of Angus (obliviousness?) with a bit of Wil thrown in (a poet at heart).
Just another Joe like 46

emikoala

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 22 Feb 2011, 06:54 »

My favorite part of this arc so far has been the facial expressions of the Unnamed Young Gentleman Who Was Already With Padma and Rene. He's sitting there looking distinctly uncomfortable and annoyed with suddenly being ignored while the girls debate whether or not the cute new boys are gay. I love that Jeph puts those kind of details in.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #85 on: 22 Feb 2011, 07:27 »

Friday was Marten not catching a bloody break, yesterday was downright funny, today...I am honestly in the same boat as Padma right now. I mean, yes, I can bicker with my best buddies like that but there are girls present to flirt with. I guess it's hit that part of the night where things just degenerate and the best thing to do is go home and play video games.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #86 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:49 »

I'm hearing Reshma Shetty in my head when I read Padma's dialogue.

Mmm... Reshma Shetty... 

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #87 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:35 »

I am confused by everyone here, when did marten become offended about being assumed that he is gay?  The only thing it loos like he was offended about during the "no we arnt gay" thing was that Steve said he could do better than Marten if he was gay.  I think he is more upset at the thought that he was cock-blocked (even though Steve was just being friendly and Marten assumed Padma wanted Steve).  Which is funny because when Steve called him out on wanting to get his flirt on Marten plain out denied it.  If Marten wasnt planning to flirt with Padma he wouldnt have been all mopey and vindictive.

As for steve he didnt get all angry, that "WHAT?!" seemed to be surprise.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 09:39 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #88 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:45 »

I don't know, hearing "If I was gay, I could do better than that!" would be pretty fucking insulting.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #89 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:46 »

I'm interested in seeing how these characters grow from being Black Faye and Black Dora.
Hate, rain on me

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #90 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:46 »

Yeah to marten, but I am confused on how this devolved into meaning either of the two are instantly homophobic or think gay is bad.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #91 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:18 »

I'm interested in seeing how these characters grow from being Black Faye and Black Dora.

It's Indian Dora, but I'm only even mentioning it so I have an excuse to inform you that YOUR USERPIC HAS THAT SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW AAAAAAAH

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #92 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:22 »

3) Men will unblinkingly say that they don't want to be "harmless" to women and not even think about what that word choice implies. Moreover they will feel that being "harmless" is a negative, because... you must get women by being threatening? something? what? As though if a girl is not attracted to you, you making sure to present yourself as "harmful" or whatever is gonna change that. (Seriously does it not bother people that women often frame NOT receiving unwanted male attention in terms of physical safety--"he's safe, he's harmless," etc, and yet most men want to actively go against that?)

From every perspective but the recipient, all attention initially may be unwanted.  Therefore, since women (and men too) are, as you've just said, so adamant about unwanted male attention, men who aren't celibate or taken must be threatening.  It's a sad fact, but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 10:24 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tunahead

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #93 on: 22 Feb 2011, 10:41 »

"His specialty is never shutting up, ever. And... somehow that helps him solve crimes."

Somehow?

Did Marten really just imply that "not shutting up, ever" isn't the greatest asset in crime-fighting?

Has Marten not heard of Columbo? I mean, that was his entire gimmick! He made it look easy!

Marten, I am disappoint.

Yes, this of all things is exactly what I want to complain about regarding the most recent strip.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #94 on: 22 Feb 2011, 11:21 »

Thoughts:

Steve acted pretty excited that Marten was going over to talk to Padma with a goofy grin on his face. Now suddenly HE'S sitting next to her hogging the spotlight? Cock-blocking is not cool, especially when you're already taken, and doubly worse when you're supposedly at a bar to help your friend find a gal. For shame.

I see the "I could do better than THAT" remark as a pretty harmless jab between friends. I dunno why Marten's all "wahh" about it. I'm also not sure where the whole homophobia discussion came from - Steve looked surprised but not necessarily offended. That reaction is normal when you aren't expecting someone to see a situation the way it really is. I'm sure his reaction would have been similar if he was there with, say, Faye (for the sake of argument) because HE knows they're not dating so it just doesn't cross his mind that someone else might see it that way.

Padma needs a filter, big-time. If you assume someone is a couple, but they're not, keep your damn mouth shut. That goes for gay AND straight couples. It's awkward either way. It's bad enough that she already made Marten feel this big by asking who his "cute friend" was. Do people really ask that when they think the people in question are a couple? Is this a continuity error or is she just THAT oblivious to everything that's going on around her? I'm beginning to wonder if she really is a troll.

Still, I'm curious to see where this is going.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #95 on: 22 Feb 2011, 11:47 »

I'll just leave this here:

:psyduck:
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #96 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:03 »

Yeah, that is probably where Padma got the "they must be gay" thing from.

smilcarek

• Not quite a lurker
  • Und Beowulf was braven... Bleah.
« Reply #97 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:45 »

I see the "I could do better than THAT" remark as a pretty harmless jab between friends. I dunno why Marten's all "wahh" about it.

Because, if Marten came over to flirt, as Steve said, then Steve just told the girl Marten was trying to flirt with that he's not a good mate, or not dateable, or what have you. He's not being helpful, and is in fact harming Marten's chances with Padma.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."
--Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #98 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:48 »

Because, if Marten came over to flirt, as Steve said, then Steve just told the girl Marten was trying to flirt with that he's not a good mate, or not dateable, or what have you. He's not being helpful, and is in fact harming Marten's chances with Padma.

Hey now, don't be coming over here posting things that make sense when everyone wants to drown out the notion that anything bad actually happens in the comic.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #99 on: 22 Feb 2011, 12:52 »

I've asked questions like that before. This was an obvious misfire on Padma's part, but there's nothing wrong with asking that question if you know the two are a couple. It a twofold compliment, and an excellent way to break the ice: You're directly validating the companion while indirectly congratulating the person to whom you directed the question, providing you the opportunity to learn more about both of them.

I dunno, I disagree with that. Her assumption that they were a couple was already flawed. If Marten AND Steve had both gone over to talk to her at the same time, I could see where that assumption may lie, but as it stands it was only Marten who went to talk to her. Generally couples will not leave one person alone while they go talk to someone else - they'll both go over so that introductions can be made. You pointed out that it's fine IF YOU KNOW the two are a couple, and I agree with that - but she had no idea, and there really was nothing about them that would suggest they were.

So far she hasn't come across as charming to me. It's funny because in some ways Hannelore has this obliviousness too, but with her it comes off as sweet and naive, whereas with Padma it seems more like she just needs some instruction in how to act in social situations. I can't really pinpoint why I feel that way, but it just feels like her comments are often barbed.

Smilcarek - I just don't think many girls would take that comment seriously, especially coming from a straight guy about another straight guy. Though I will agree that he's not being helpful.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 13:09 by Elysiana »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up