THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 March 2011 (1876-80)  (Read 76883 times)

BlueMark

• Plantmonster
Re: Strip 1876
« Reply #50 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:05 »

Rank-induced behavioural correction isn't really the same thing as what Cosette's doing. 

On second thought, it's exactly  the same thing...

OK, on first scan I read that as "Rack-induced". And it made perfect sense.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Re: WCDT 7-11 March 2011 (1876-80)
« Reply #51 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:21 »

I'm not sure what that says or who it says it about, but I think you're on to something.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #52 on: 07 Mar 2011, 19:39 »

Sorry, but in my opinion, no matter how "innocent" it may be, flirting is still romantic and you don't do romantic things with people who aren't  your SO.
More accurately, you don't do romantic things with people who aren't your SO. I would class flirting as distinctly sexual rather than romantic - and if you're not comfortable with that then no, your SO shouldn't do it, nor should you.

Many people are comfortable with that, and it's a pleasant outlet for your sexuality that doesn't involve doing anything with someone outside your monogamous relationship. Many other people are comfortable with kissing other people, only kissing people of one sex, oral only, casual relationships only or are happiest in a polyamorous relationship. Every couple has to work out their own comfort level and abide by it.

Also, the idea that Marten is being a bad friend by not lying for Steve is pretty alien to me.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #53 on: 07 Mar 2011, 20:23 »

Hang on a mo, has Marten broken BrOmerta? I am disappoint.
Is Marten now, or has he ever been, a bro? Is he subject to the code? Let us not forget that Steve put scorpions in Marten's bed on at least one occasion.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 20:26 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

« Reply #54 on: 07 Mar 2011, 20:41 »

Marten is not now, nor has he ever been, a bro.

He is a goo friend, but he's not going to enable his friend to act like a jerk out of some misplace loyaty to his gender.

Faye would kick his ass if she found out about that. :police:
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #55 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:02 »

He is a goo friend.
Everyone should have a goo friend to count on.  8-)

akronnick

« Reply #56 on: 07 Mar 2011, 21:05 »

Styupi keyboar!

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #57 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:25 »

We haven't seen Dora since before the time jump, so I'm curious to see how she's holding up.

Actually, the strip where Hanners dissects the dude trying to hit on her is a post-time-jump Dora.

Well I don't know where you're putting the time-jump then, because I have it as the transition between 1860 and 1861.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #58 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:38 »

Hanners' hair changes between 1855 and 1856; 1857 is the appearance of Faye's new hair.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

westrim

« Reply #59 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:38 »

We haven't seen Dora since before the time jump, so I'm curious to see how she's holding up.

Actually, the strip where Hanners dissects the dude trying to hit on her is a post-time-jump Dora.

Well I don't know where you're putting the time-jump then, because I have it as the transition between 1860 and 1861.
Look at the previous comic. Now back to 1856. Now back to 1855, now back to 1856. Sadly, Hannelore's hair can not actually grow that fast, but with Timeskip Super Accelerator tm,  it can look like it has.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2011, 22:46 by westrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #60 on: 07 Mar 2011, 22:48 »

Maybe ever since the head lice scare she's replaced her hair with a retractible/extensible nanotube fiber from her dad's lab.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #61 on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:00 »

Look at the previous comic. Now back to 1856. Now back to 1855, now back to 1856.
Sadly, 1855 isn't 1856.  But if you add an unspecified period of time, 1855 can smell like it's 1856.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #62 on: 07 Mar 2011, 23:31 »

Can't wait to find out if Cosette broke her finger on Steve's head.

akronnick

« Reply #63 on: 08 Mar 2011, 01:52 »

Padma is not impresed with Cosette's display of territoriality.

What I would like to see is Dora's reaction if Marten actually did begin to seriously pursue Padma (or anyone else.)

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #64 on: 08 Mar 2011, 01:54 »

Ouch Cosette! Jealous much?

also akronnick, i think there would be elder rage directed at Padma
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #65 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:08 »

Yeah! Back to normal. Thankfully no speedlines this time. Surely somebody can give me reference explaining Cosette's finger gesture? :-)

My eyesight ain't what it used to be. Does it say "Less fresh" on that sign on top of a bowl of bagels/donuts/whatever? Apparently Renee isn't allowed to use leftover stuff as ammo the same way Faye does.

QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #66 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:08 »

...did Padma just insult Cosette with that last line?

Plus Cosette's being just a little hypocritical.

akronnick

« Reply #67 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:12 »

Cosette is pointing with her two fingers at her two eyes and then at Padma.

It's a (slightly?) threatening way to let Padma know "I'm watching you!"
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 02:26 by akronnick »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #68 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:21 »

Thanks, akronnick. I was worried that I (again) missed something like Yesterday's "Gibbs slap."
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #69 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:23 »

I wonder what it is Marten didn't mean to do.  I kind of wonder how this all started.  Did Marten bring this up and Cosette dragged them to TSB?  That would be a bit much for Marten to do.  I mean I understand being mostly passive about it, but it'd be kind of messed up if he went out of his way to get Cosette mad at Steve.

The last two strips seem to come from nowhere.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #70 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:40 »

Cosette will slap. your. shit.

'nuff said.

All this chapter needed was Pintsize making cat noises in the background.  :evil:
I had something witty to put down here but.....

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #71 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:52 »

Oh man, I knew girls like Cosette.  She's not gonna ever let this go, and stalk Padma's facebook for months. I officially cast my ballot that we will have the first irrational enemy of all the CoD girls amongst us soon.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #72 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:16 »

Laughed my ass off.   Good work Jeph.    :-D

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #73 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:40 »

I totally forgot that comic... and yeah, I agree with you.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #74 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:44 »

I wonder what it is Marten didn't mean to do.  I kind of wonder how this all started.  Did Marten bring this up and Cosette dragged them to TSB?  That would be a bit much for Marten to do.  I mean I understand being mostly passive about it, but it'd be kind of messed up if he went out of his way to get Cosette mad at Steve.

It reads more like they were following Marten while having their fight and he's just doing his normal walk in the morning going to TSB (his new morning routine). You know, that or he's being really passive-aggressive and intentionally led them there (maybe subconsciously or whatever, that is what the "I didn't mean to..." bit was about, as I take it).

But then, when every single character in the comic is a walking bundle of psychological problems, it gets to be a bit difficult pointing blame at any particular person when bad shit happens.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #75 on: 08 Mar 2011, 04:31 »

*sigh*   Cosette got issues...

...but Padma's line was perfect.  Cosette didn't even phase her - she just can't beleive how wrong  she was about Steve! 

I've had that problem - people have a hard time shaking that firat impression, no matter how  wrong it may be! 

And the mathematician in me wants to point out that "She's not  prettier than you!"  is not the same as "You're prettier", but it's not something you should ever  point out to the person who made that assumption! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #76 on: 08 Mar 2011, 04:55 »

I like the "Fresh" and "Less Fresh" baskets on the counter there. Looks like Padma runs a nice place.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Karilyn

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #77 on: 08 Mar 2011, 05:05 »

...but Padma's line was perfect.  Cosette didn't even phase her - she just can't beleive how wrong  she was about Steve!  

I've had that problem - people have a hard time shaking that firat impression, no matter how  wrong it may be!
Who's to say Padma is wrong?  Well, we already have a lesbian character.

Maybe this explains Steve's commitment issues.  He sabotages all his relationships because he keeps pairing up with women when his heart pines for men.

Maybe this whole plot arch is a set up for Steve coming out of the closet.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 05:07 by Karilyn »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #78 on: 08 Mar 2011, 05:22 »

Nah, its setting up the triumphant return of Steve's true love - the vaguely Eastern-European spy lady, or the tequila monster (sometimes I get confused).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #79 on: 08 Mar 2011, 05:26 »

Marten and Steve mighta been just telling Cosette about their night out when Marten mentioned Steve taking over the conversation and being really friendly with Padma. Or one of them could have mentioned how Padma thought they were gay and when she found out they weren't, she accused him of flirting. From there Cosette could conflate that into 'he was  flirting!' and thus, yesterdays and today's comic.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Odal

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #80 on: 08 Mar 2011, 05:44 »

I guess those could work, though it seems like a situation niether of them would really want to talk about again, let alone bring it up in front of Cosette.

Jabberwocky

• Larger than most fish
  • Pony!
« Reply #81 on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:31 »

The random function calls a perl script at ohnorobot.  The script is clearly a very poor random number generator, and it also only delivers comics that ohnorobot has in its archive (which is missing a fair number of QC).  It seems to me that it would be relatively trivial to do a decent random function in Javascript and drop the call to ohnorobot (having said that, I guess I'm duty bound to do it and ask an admin to implement it...).

Code: [Select]

<script language="Javascript">

var latestComic = 1877;
var comicUrl = "http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=";

function loadRandomComic() {
location.href = comicUrl +
Math.floor(Math.random() * (latestComic + 1));
};

</script>

<a href="#" onClick="loadRandomComic()">Random</a>

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #82 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:17 »

Err, personally I think its totally fine if you flirt with other people as long as its done jokingly and the other person knows you're in a partnership.

Its however not a nice idea to flirt people who dont know you're in a partnership. You might hurt either their or your partners or even both feelings.
Carpe Diem

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #83 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:33 »

I hereby offer the totally unhelpful postulation that Padma is very pretty and her obvious sanity makes her far prettier than Cossie.

I still want to have Steve and Cossie encounter Meena and David, preferably with Meena either pregnant or nursing a baby. Mostly because I think it's Steve's turn for hella drama and I'd like him to have a bit more of the spotlight...

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #84 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:42 »

Cossette is a college kid. She's young. And apparently she has not had the best dating history, as indicated by certain statements she has made.  Jealousy and insecurity are not surprising reactions. I'm a flirter. I flirt without even realizing it most of the time. This has upset some of the girls I have dated. While I am pretty open about these things, I understand why some people are not. While her actions are not justified, her emotional reaction is both justified and understandable.

Also, I do not think Martin is being a bad friend just because he refuses to lie to cover up Steve's behavior. If anything, I think Steve is being a bad friend for putting Martin in that position.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

westrim

« Reply #85 on: 08 Mar 2011, 08:07 »

How exactly did Cossette find out about this, anyway? How did she hear about  what was going on that night in a way that made her think Steve was flirting? It's not like either Steve or Marten would have said "heh, hah, I/he was totally hitting on this one chick."  It's like some 4th party gave her a rundown on what happened offscreen.

Also, Marten wasn't bad because he wouldn't lie, he was bad because he waffled. Mmm... waffles.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 10:09 by westrim »

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #86 on: 08 Mar 2011, 08:31 »

I totally forgot that comic... and yeah, I agree with you.

I don't think that's hypocritical. She blushed when Marten complimented her. Blushing is not a voluntary response. We already know she finds Marten attractive, she asked him out to before Steve, and his complimented flustered her. She believes Steve was actively flirting with Padma. Most people see flirting as an attempt to attach/cement the interest of someone they are attracted to. That's not the same thing as receiving a compliment.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #87 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:39 »

I don't think that's hypocritical. She blushed when Marten complimented her. Blushing is not a voluntary response. We already know she finds Marten attractive, she asked him out to before Steve, and his complimented flustered her. She believes Steve was actively flirting with Padma. Most people see flirting as an attempt to attach/cement the interest of someone they are attracted to. That's not the same thing as receiving a compliment.

I wasn't even thinking about the blush part... I was thinking about this part of the comic:
Are you telling me you wouldn't be the tiniest bit jealous if they did it right in front of you
No I wouldn't

I can see how it isn't the same thing... But if I were Cosette I would give Steve the benefit of doubt... I don't think he actually meant to flirt with Padma in anyway.

Oh... and Padma looks very cute in the last panel, great job Jeph!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 08 Mar 2011, 09:42 »

But then, when every single character in the comic is a walking bundle of psychological problems, it gets to be a bit difficult pointing blame at any particular person when bad shit happens.
May I quote you on the wiki? That is a good insight.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #89 on: 08 Mar 2011, 10:01 »

Go right ahead, just give me a link to it when you're done so I can see the wiki.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #90 on: 08 Mar 2011, 10:24 »

Code: [Select]

<script language="Javascript">

var latestComic = 1877;

There needs to be some kind of call to the website to get the current comic number, otherwise you'll be having to constantly update the code.  Perhaps looking at the top of the archive list?  Or maybe a function that translates the date into a comic number, assuming 5 pages a week...

Then you'd have make sure to use the value (current comic - 1), just in case the comic isn't up at midnight...   :roll:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #91 on: 08 Mar 2011, 10:54 »

"Gibbs slap."
Damn it, people were hitting people like that before NCIS!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #92 on: 08 Mar 2011, 10:56 »

As far back as Saved By The Bell, at least.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #93 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:18 »

It used  to be called a "Dope Slap", and goes back well beyond the Three Stooges.  Possibly through the middle ages, classical Greece, and into the mists of prehistory. 

As long as people have stupid ideas around those who know better, the Dope Slap will live on! 

smilcarek

• Not quite a lurker
  • Und Beowulf was braven... Bleah.
« Reply #94 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:55 »

I think Padma is prettier than Cosette. Perhaps because Cosette's hair/skin combination reminds of a very obnoxious, undesirable girl I know.

Of course, they ARE both just drawings.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."
--Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Laminator_X

• Not quite a lurker
    • Complaint Department
« Reply #95 on: 08 Mar 2011, 14:07 »

There's (ahem) tongue-in cheek flirting as fun banter for it's own sake, and then there's flirting with the idea of leading to something more. As long as all parties know the score and are cool with it, the former can be engaged in without transgressing relationship boundaries.

SuileanDubh

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #96 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:07 »

Cossette is a college kid. She's young. And apparently she has not had the best dating history, as indicated by certain statements she has made.  Jealousy and insecurity are not surprising reactions. I'm a flirter. I flirt without even realizing it most of the time. This has upset some of the girls I have dated. While I am pretty open about these things, I understand why some people are not. While her actions are not justified, her emotional reaction is both justified and understandable.

Also, I do not think Martin is being a bad friend just because he refuses to lie to cover up Steve's behavior. If anything, I think Steve is being a bad friend for putting Martin in that position.

I agree, I'm a very physically affectionate person (I hug a lot, not in a whorish way), and I do tend to warn the people I date that I will cuddle with my friends and that it doesn't constitute flirting. The line between being friendly and being flirty is extremely fine in my opinion (Flailure!). And I think Steve is the kind of person who would flirt without realizing, just because he's charming. However, I still think that Cosette's emotional reaction, while understandable, is not justified. I also do not think youth has anything to with it, I'm in high school and I still find possessiveness annoying in my peers. Cosette is being silly, irrational, jealous and possessive.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 08 Mar 2011, 15:57 »

...... And after meeting Cosette, can you blame Padma for thinking he's gay??     :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #98 on: 08 Mar 2011, 16:12 »

Suggestion for a forum nickname for Padma: The Senator.  Why?  People for some reason saw "Padma" and thought "Padmé", the first name of Senator Amidala.  Is it needlessly complicated, and longer than her real name?  Of course.  But hey, this is the forum that argued for a dozen pages on [topic redacted]. :mrgreen:

Modified portion:
...... And after meeting Cosette, can you blame Padma for thinking he's gay??     :-D
I don't get it :?
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 16:13 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 08 Mar 2011, 16:19 »

My guess it after her brief run in with 'Miss Balbricker' Cosette just now, she wonders why Cosette hasn't turned him gay.

Just a guess on my part, but probably close to Padma's thoughts.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up