THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The band's first song of their first concert will be...

Hot Cross Buns
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Parabola
We Are The Waffles
They won't get that far

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week  (Read 72641 times)

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT 8-12 August 2011 (1986-1990) aka Method's birth week
« Reply #150 on: 10 Aug 2011, 17:03 »

I really think the band's just a hobby for Marten. As someone who writes mostly just as a periodic pass time to just help me better understand the medium I do see something similar with him. He enjoys it, and I really do think he gets something out of it, but it's not an all encompassing drive for him and I don't think he's looking to do it for a living.

This being said I do feel the need to point out a mistake that's often made in this area. Making a living off your passion /= super famous rich rockstar lifestyle. I've known people who make their living as actors and as musicians and that's not what they are. A band that's frequently getting the good local gigs might not make you a millionaire and it might not make you an instantly recognizable face to all even in your own community but if you're looking to make a living off your music it's pretty feasible on that level. Super-famous rockstar would seem to me to be a misguided goal to begin with anyway, probably the wrong reason to get into the business. I can't see Marten ever being interested in that anyway, so if he put his nose to the grindstone and probably found a replacement for Amir I see no reason why he couldn't accomplish any goals he'd have here.

Come to think of it, he's an indy guy anyway. I'm not an audiophile so I have trouble keeping track of the various movements associated with musical genres, but isn't indy kind of into the small time and obscurity to begin with? Being one of the really cool local bands that the next town's never heard of would probably be a wet dream for him if I've got this straight.

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #151 on: 10 Aug 2011, 22:37 »

As late as I am on this, I pretty much skimmed over the comic till I saw something move out the corner of my eye, then realised that the foot was ANIMATED.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #152 on: 10 Aug 2011, 23:55 »

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. On the off chance that you are, Tool is a band that's known for having really difficult mathematical type of music. They're awesome. Schism is a great song.
Well EXQUUUUUSE ME! if I don't measure up to your universal knowledge of every sound committed to tape, Nappy McTurtleneck. And yes, having listened to a number of their tracks, for the first time ever, I would agree that Tool are awesome. Some of their fans, maybe not so much. At least Mr. Doctor was polite about it. Sheesh!

I think Jeph would do better to avoid jokes that depend on the exact behaviour of his readers' computers, browsers etc. The animation did not "repeat" in the browser I normally use, so I missed it. I'll have to make a point of reading QC in Safari or Chrome, I guess.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #153 on: 11 Aug 2011, 00:25 »

Off topic, but I honestly have no recollection of having seen comics 1662-1668.  I know for a fact that I hadn't seen 1662 until just now for the first time.  And I know I never saw Dora's panels-long 'squeeeeeeeeee...eeeeeeeeeee' before either.

Other than that, I really do like Hanners art style from that period.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 11 Aug 2011, 00:33 »

The animation did not "repeat" in the browser I normally use, so I missed it.

I find it hard to believe that the problem is general to the browser (what is it?) rather than specific to your installation of it.  I really wouldn't suggest that the one-off use of an animated GIF is in any way unreasonable these days.  It even shows on my iPhone, though much too slowly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #155 on: 11 Aug 2011, 01:19 »

I first saw this on my work computer (which is a core 2 and uses IE7 (I know :roll:)) and the oscillation rate of Hanners's leg was pretty fast, probably about 240-300 bpm, or about 4-5 Hz if you like.

When I saw it on my home computer (which is a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 I built in 2003 and using Firefox 5.0) the oscillation was much faster, but not at all steady.

It is much funnier in the latter instance.

From this observation, I propose that F is proportional to fHl times Rsh where F is the level of funny, fHl is the frequency of Hanners's leg and Rsh is the randomness of fHl due to the user's shitty hardware.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #156 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:25 »

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW- *Seizes up*

akronnick

« Reply #157 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:32 »

So... Hot Cross buns, Merrily We Roll Along or Ode to Joy?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #158 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:32 »

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW- *Seizes up*

omgggg, the cuteeeee (>^-^)>

*splodes*

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #159 on: 11 Aug 2011, 02:45 »

For comic #1989...

1. Not sure why, but I like the top-diagonal angle shots Jeph has been doing with recent strips.

2. Aw... kid-Marten on a clarinet with then Mr. & Mrs. Reed.  Conversely, I still have, on rare occasion, terrfying nightmares of playing piano for audiences when I was that young... :psyduck:

3. Deathm0le playing live will be an interesting event, not just for Marten doing what he enjoys, but also for Hanners' pushing her boundaries too.

4. As I have said it before, Hannelore does a great job for filling the companion role for/with Marten.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 13:16 by pendrake »

Mark7

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #160 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:10 »

Umm...

Martin decided to leave his guitar at the practice space?  :?
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

akronnick

« Reply #161 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:10 »

Why not, that's where he practices.

westrim

« Reply #162 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:17 »

Hey, this is my birth year comic! Yaaaaay! *confetti*

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #163 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:19 »

Why not, that's where he practices.

What if he fancies a strum at home? Does he still have the tele? Does he even own a practice amp or does he just plug it into Pintsize?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #164 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:36 »

I find it hard to believe that the problem is general to the browser (what is it?) rather than specific to your installation of it.  I really wouldn't suggest that the one-off use of an animated GIF is in any way unreasonable these days.  It even shows on my iPhone, though much too slowly.
The browser that did not render the animated .gif correctly was Camino 2.0.7. On further thought, I was surprised at the .gif problem too, and having researching the problem, I found the cause and fixed it. My Camino was set to play animated images once only. Having found the appropriate parameter in the browser's configuration, I was able to edit it, and Hanners' leg now twitches like Volta's frogs.

Oh those horrible recitals for my parent's friends... Marten, I feel for you.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #165 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:40 »

A Camino user!  :-o

*Whips out long range SLR camera*

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #166 on: 11 Aug 2011, 03:56 »

I always dreaded the yearly recitals at the city music-school where I learned to play classical guitar O.o
Thus I only gave in once when my teacher asked me to play at one of the schools bigger concerts, though that went rather well :-) (Tears in heaven, yay^^)

Still makes me rather nervous to play in front of people I know, i.e. my family.

Doctor Online

• Emoticontraindication
  • Dat Triforce
« Reply #167 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:33 »

*confetti's with* Me toooo! Yay!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #168 on: 11 Aug 2011, 04:37 »

Omg this trip is just too cute.

I played metallophone when I was a kid although everyone did it sicne it was for our music class, then we played flutes. Since it was a school thing, no one of my folks really cared about it. But I could totally play the intro for Dragon Ball GT back then.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #169 on: 11 Aug 2011, 05:51 »

Hey, this is my college graduation year comic! Yaaaaay! *confetti*

And do I get the feeling that Marten's never really played a concert as a member of a band?

(Oh, and I vote "Hot Cross Buns".)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #170 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:20 »

For comic #1989...

4. As I have said it before, Hannelore does a great job for filling the companion role for/with Marten.

I just had that similar thought.
What's the chance of Hanners taking up the female-bud role currently occupied by Faye? (Does Faye still have that role?)
And what can we assume Faye's reaction would be once she found herself replaced in that roll?
You could do one or two days worth of strips on the characters analyzing their role/position in the greater scheme. (Not that I'm suggesting that.)
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 06:24 by Sylentknight »

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #171 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:23 »

Hey, this is my college graduation year comic! Yaaaaay! *confetti*

And do I get the feeling that Marten's never really played a concert as a member of a band?

(Oh, and I vote "Hot Cross Buns".)

hmmm....it could go either way- he could be phrasing things this way to cover that up and make Hanners feel more comfortable doing something she's not used to....

or, maybe he just took her first concert statement wayyyy literally  :-P
(call me an optimist, but I like to think the latter)

eta: oh- and Congratulations! *hums Pomp and Circumstance*
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 06:25 by lepetitfromage »
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #172 on: 11 Aug 2011, 06:28 »

It seems suspect that when this memory was the first thing that came to mind, he got all embarassed about that rather than moving the memory clock forward to his first real gig.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #173 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:15 »

...so if he put his nose to the grindstone and probably found a replacement for Amir I see no reason why he couldn't accomplish any goals he'd have here.

I don't see that as necessary, but if it does happen, I theorize Sven as a potential band member.

*evidence in panel 3*
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #174 on: 11 Aug 2011, 07:48 »

I guess many of us have been expecting that Marten might take up on Sven's offer to play together. Admittedly Sven might have made that suggestion in 1803 (see Delator's post above for the link) simply as the first thing that came to his mind - to dilute the awkwardness. But he might also help by finding a singer or a keyboard player for Deathmole given that he is likely well connected to the local music scene. May be Deathmole's first gig will be to accompany Sven in his weekly acoustic set at Purple Opossum. Of course, if an acoustic set is expected by the crowd, it is not clear that they would appreciate Deathmole?

I, too, feel, for Marten. I used to have problems playing at family gatherings. Then one Christmas Grandpa made me realize that it is bad manners to keep Mom begging me to play. Fortunately my sister married a guy who actually has some talent for music, so I have been relieved since.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #175 on: 11 Aug 2011, 08:40 »

Marten can rename the band now if he wants.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cold

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #176 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:01 »

Lil' Marten is ADORABLE
READ MY COMICS OR DIE

Floyd and Mike
Bayeux Rhythms

NotAwesomeAnymore

• Furry furrier
« Reply #177 on: 11 Aug 2011, 09:27 »

Y'know, I could picture Marten as a music teacher. Especially for kids since he's so patient.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #178 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:03 »

It's hard to know whether to address your attack on Marten and the others or your attack on Jeph. But since you obviously refuse to believe it is even possible, and have even gone so far as to criticise the beliveability of developments that haven't yet occurred, then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm not attacking Jeph...I'm just proving a point.  Marten has a much better chance of succeeding because he is the main character in a comic.  If we translated Marten's situation to the real world and he was a person that you knew, the last thing you would be wondering is how his friends will take it when he's famous.  As a friend you would root for him, but deep down be very skeptical that anything other than a bar gig would happen.  I only challenge Jeph to make this current story arc be plausible by having Marten really work at this for an extended period of time.

You haven't proven anything here. You've stated an opinion. Those are two separate thing. As a friend to some people with serious musical aspirations, you're right, I would root for them. But, I have never been skeptical deep down. I've always been a believer of you can do anything you want as long as you put your mind to it. Maybe Marten's character wasn't as motivated before. But I'm under the impression he's getting some development. Maybe he's going to try harder to be motivated. And who's to say Jeph won't have Marten work hard over an extended period of time to reach his goals? As far as I know, none of us are psychics. We have no way of knowing what Jeph's plans are. For all we know, his plan might be to have Marten fail with music, but find his real passion along the way. Crazier things have happened.

Do I really need to prove that the main character of a fictional comic has a better chance of succeeding than a real-life person?  For instance, the odds of Marten getting hit by a bus and dying tomorrow are 0%.  The odds of the town getting hit by a tsunami and everyone dying are 0%.  In real-life, they aren't.  Extreme, I know, but Marten lives in a world where he can't completely fail because his creator won't let him, as Marten and the rest of the cast support Jephs financial well being.  No, that is not a knock against Jeph, it's just how it is.  There are less paths a story arc can take in certain works of fiction than in a real-life scenario.
If Marten didn't care about money then great, but he's shown no signs that he wouldn't like to be better off.

To steal your words, with the information we have, he doesn't care about money.

He does care about having a crappy job he doesn't enjoy.

If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune.  The job is crappy because it doesn't pay well.

I've made my point, and we agree to disagree.  I had hoped Marten would follow a safer path based on what I've seen from him.  I guess we'll just see how it all plays out.  

.... I have absolutely no words to describe how ridiculous a statement that is. If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune?

A crappy job is a crappy job regardless of how much you get paid. My older sister is an elementary school teacher. She doesn't get paid that much, but SHE LOVES HER JOB!
At one point in time she was a business major in college, obviously she changed her mind about wanting to be in business. But I imagine if she hadn't changed her major she'd be doing something businessy, getting paid twice if not three times as much as what she makes now, but she'd be miserable, because she didn't really enjoy it. Happiness is not synonymous with more money.

Would she do it for free?  Now be honest, would she go there everyday for free?  Even better, would she pay to work there?  She LOVES it, and I pay for things I like to do, so would she?  On the other end of the coin, would she be even happier if she made a million dollars a year?  Wouldn't that make the job that much better?  I know multiple teachers personally, and none of them are particularly pleased with their salary, among other things about their job(daycare service, discipline).  I asked them if they made a fortune doing it, would they care as much about those issues...what do you think they said?

If I paid you a million dollars a day to literally shovel crap, would you do it?  A million dollars, per day.  Of course you would.  While the job might literally be crappy, the pay would be so good that you would enjoy having that job.  The fact is, most jobs do suck, but most people don't live to work, they work to live.  They make enough that they can see the world, try new things, relax.  Some of these people even enjoy their jobs too, and its because they sat down and researched a career path they wanted to pursue.  They didnt plot their life out over a haircut and burger.  Marten will never get to do certain things with his life because he can't afford to.  If his guitar broke tomorrow could he even afford a new one?  While you could argue that Marten doesn't care about things like money, the life he's leading currently hasn't made him the happiest person.  Money is important, whether people want to admit it or not.  It's not everything, and it can't buy happiness, but it can help.

As I've said before, if I thought Marten was truly passionate about music I'd support this more, but to me it just seemed like the quick solution.  If they had a strip where Marten went over different career paths, really sat down and thought everything through, his decision wouldn't be so sketchy.

Money doesn't buy you happiness. You can have all the money in the WORLD and still be miserable. Would my sister be happier if she got paid more for teaching, sure, but I can bet you anything she wouldn't quit teaching to go shovel crap just because it paid more money. And as for myself, neither would I. I'm studying to be a chef. They don't necessarily make a lot of money, unless they cook at a super famous five star restaurant. Being in a kitchen cooking for people, can be stressful as hell. Hell, just dealing with people on a day to day basis can be stressful. The hours will suck. But there's almost nothing else I'd rather do, except maybe write books, which lets be honest, probably wouldn't pay that well either. But you know what, in spite of the stress that can be involved. Being in a kitchen, cooking, makes me happier than just about anything else. I couldn't give a shit what it's going to pay, because hey, I'm getting PAID to do something I love.

And btw, yea my sister would pay to be a teacher. I mean, when she was a student teacher during college, she was paying to be a teacher.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #179 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:19 »

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. On the off chance that you are, Tool is a band that's known for having really difficult mathematical type of music. They're awesome. Schism is a great song.
Well EXQUUUUUSE ME! if I don't measure up to your universal knowledge of every sound committed to tape, Nappy McTurtleneck. And yes, having listened to a number of their tracks, for the first time ever, I would agree that Tool are awesome. Some of their fans, maybe not so much. At least Mr. Doctor was polite about it. Sheesh!

I think Jeph would do better to avoid jokes that depend on the exact behaviour of his readers' computers, browsers etc. The animation did not "repeat" in the browser I normally use, so I missed it. I'll have to make a point of reading QC in Safari or Chrome, I guess.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I legitimately didn't know if you were being serious or not. So many people on this forum are so sarcastic all the time, that I couldn't tell. I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude. I wasn't trying to be. After I said I couldn't tell whether or not you were being serious, I said who they were, said I thought they were an awesome band, and named a song of theirs that I love. I in no way, shape, or form, meant to insult you. My tone wasn't meant to be mocking or condescending in anyway. I apologize if you took it that way. I'm so used to people saying things like that in a sarcastic way all the time, that I couldn't tell if you were being serious or not. I didn't want to make an ass out of myself by telling you who they were when you were just joking. Because inevitably if I did that when someone was joking I'd be mocked for being an idiot. (It's happened to me before, and I've seen it happen to other people on this forum). Sometimes tone is hard to decipher online, ya know? I really am sorry. That's not how I meant it at all.

And it just makes me sad that you compared me to Nappy McTurtlneck, because, you have me all wrong  :-( I'm not like that at all. I'm not a musical elitist in anyway. I would never tell someone what they're listening to is garbage, and I'd never mock someone for not knowing a band I listen to. I get irritated enough at my friend Matt to never want to do that anyone. I mean, he makes fun of the music I like in some way or another everyday. I would never put someone else through that.

:-(

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #180 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:21 »

The animation did not "repeat" in the browser I normally use, so I missed it.

It showed on your phone? It didn't show on my mine. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what everyone was talking about to start with.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #181 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:25 »

And btw, yea my sister would pay to be a teacher. I mean, when she was a student teacher during college, she was paying to be a teacher.
As someone who's starting his final semester of student teaching in a few weeks, I don't think this can be stressed enough.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #182 on: 11 Aug 2011, 10:29 »

Aww, Li'l Marten's first concert. Well, concert in the very loosest sense of the term.

As for me, I played trombone from 6th-8th grade....mostly because brass band was the only other option besides chorus and my singing could murder kittens.

That said, I have to wonder if this was around the time of the dinosaur Halloween costume or the dildo incident.

No kittens were ever killed by my singing. I just know I suck at it.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #183 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:00 »

I vote Ode to Joy
the former are just for practice
but Ode to Joy is the My First Clarinet Recital staple, man

(as a former 8-year clarinet player this comic really made me smile
WOODIE SOLIDARITY MARTEN *brofist*)
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 11:02 by rje »
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #184 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:17 »

It's hard to know whether to address your attack on Marten and the others or your attack on Jeph. But since you obviously refuse to believe it is even possible, and have even gone so far as to criticise the beliveability of developments that haven't yet occurred, then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I'm not attacking Jeph...I'm just proving a point.  Marten has a much better chance of succeeding because he is the main character in a comic.  If we translated Marten's situation to the real world and he was a person that you knew, the last thing you would be wondering is how his friends will take it when he's famous.  As a friend you would root for him, but deep down be very skeptical that anything other than a bar gig would happen.  I only challenge Jeph to make this current story arc be plausible by having Marten really work at this for an extended period of time.

You haven't proven anything here. You've stated an opinion. Those are two separate thing. As a friend to some people with serious musical aspirations, you're right, I would root for them. But, I have never been skeptical deep down. I've always been a believer of you can do anything you want as long as you put your mind to it. Maybe Marten's character wasn't as motivated before. But I'm under the impression he's getting some development. Maybe he's going to try harder to be motivated. And who's to say Jeph won't have Marten work hard over an extended period of time to reach his goals? As far as I know, none of us are psychics. We have no way of knowing what Jeph's plans are. For all we know, his plan might be to have Marten fail with music, but find his real passion along the way. Crazier things have happened.

Do I really need to prove that the main character of a fictional comic has a better chance of succeeding than a real-life person?  For instance, the odds of Marten getting hit by a bus and dying tomorrow are 0%.  The odds of the town getting hit by a tsunami and everyone dying are 0%.  In real-life, they aren't.  Extreme, I know, but Marten lives in a world where he can't completely fail because his creator won't let him, as Marten and the rest of the cast support Jephs financial well being.  No, that is not a knock against Jeph, it's just how it is.  There are less paths a story arc can take in certain works of fiction than in a real-life scenario.
If Marten didn't care about money then great, but he's shown no signs that he wouldn't like to be better off.

To steal your words, with the information we have, he doesn't care about money.

He does care about having a crappy job he doesn't enjoy.

If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune.  The job is crappy because it doesn't pay well.

I've made my point, and we agree to disagree.  I had hoped Marten would follow a safer path based on what I've seen from him.  I guess we'll just see how it all plays out.  

.... I have absolutely no words to describe how ridiculous a statement that is. If he made a million dollars a year, he'd be singing a different tune?

A crappy job is a crappy job regardless of how much you get paid. My older sister is an elementary school teacher. She doesn't get paid that much, but SHE LOVES HER JOB!
At one point in time she was a business major in college, obviously she changed her mind about wanting to be in business. But I imagine if she hadn't changed her major she'd be doing something businessy, getting paid twice if not three times as much as what she makes now, but she'd be miserable, because she didn't really enjoy it. Happiness is not synonymous with more money.

Would she do it for free?  Now be honest, would she go there everyday for free?  Even better, would she pay to work there?  She LOVES it, and I pay for things I like to do, so would she?  On the other end of the coin, would she be even happier if she made a million dollars a year?  Wouldn't that make the job that much better?  I know multiple teachers personally, and none of them are particularly pleased with their salary, among other things about their job(daycare service, discipline).  I asked them if they made a fortune doing it, would they care as much about those issues...what do you think they said?

If I paid you a million dollars a day to literally shovel crap, would you do it?  A million dollars, per day.  Of course you would.  While the job might literally be crappy, the pay would be so good that you would enjoy having that job.  The fact is, most jobs do suck, but most people don't live to work, they work to live.  They make enough that they can see the world, try new things, relax.  Some of these people even enjoy their jobs too, and its because they sat down and researched a career path they wanted to pursue.  They didnt plot their life out over a haircut and burger.  Marten will never get to do certain things with his life because he can't afford to.  If his guitar broke tomorrow could he even afford a new one?  While you could argue that Marten doesn't care about things like money, the life he's leading currently hasn't made him the happiest person.  Money is important, whether people want to admit it or not.  It's not everything, and it can't buy happiness, but it can help.

As I've said before, if I thought Marten was truly passionate about music I'd support this more, but to me it just seemed like the quick solution.  If they had a strip where Marten went over different career paths, really sat down and thought everything through, his decision wouldn't be so sketchy.

Money doesn't buy you happiness. You can have all the money in the WORLD and still be miserable. Would my sister be happier if she got paid more for teaching, sure, but I can bet you anything she wouldn't quit teaching to go shovel crap just because it paid more money. And as for myself, neither would I. I'm studying to be a chef. They don't necessarily make a lot of money, unless they cook at a super famous five star restaurant. Being in a kitchen cooking for people, can be stressful as hell. Hell, just dealing with people on a day to day basis can be stressful. The hours will suck. But there's almost nothing else I'd rather do, except maybe write books, which lets be honest, probably wouldn't pay that well either. But you know what, in spite of the stress that can be involved. Being in a kitchen, cooking, makes me happier than just about anything else. I couldn't give a shit what it's going to pay, because hey, I'm getting PAID to do something I love.

I just said it doesn't buy happiness.  However, it does increase happiness.  Yes, I am happier because I can afford to do things. 

You wouldn't shovel some crap for a million dollars a day?  Just a week of doing that could let you go to the best cooking school, and open your own restaurant anywhere in the world.  I understand though, you're trying to win an argument by ignoring the logic that millions of dollars aren't worth having.

Um, I paid for my profession too, but like everyone who does this they expect to be compensated, at the very least enough money to live.  Your sister would not bankrupt and starve herself to teach.  That was a trick question to see if you'd argue any statement I made to be difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Try actually asking her next time, she's not trying to win an argument.

Money is important.  I'm sorry, but it is.  It's less important to some, more to others, but we live in a world where you have to be making money to survive.  As for Marten, he lives in a city, eats and drinks at establishments, etc.  Money is important to him.  If he was given a million dollars, he would be happy, just like anyone would be.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #185 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:34 »

:psyduck:

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #186 on: 11 Aug 2011, 11:48 »

I just said it doesn't buy happiness.  However, it does increase happiness.  Yes, I am happier because I can afford to do things. 

You wouldn't shovel some crap for a million dollars a day?  Just a week of doing that could let you go to the best cooking school, and open your own restaurant anywhere in the world.  I understand though, you're trying to win an argument by ignoring the logic that millions of dollars aren't worth having.

Um, I paid for my profession too, but like everyone who does this they expect to be compensated, at the very least enough money to live.  Your sister would not bankrupt and starve herself to teach.  That was a trick question to see if you'd argue any statement I made to be difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Try actually asking her next time, she's not trying to win an argument.

Money is important.  I'm sorry, but it is.  It's less important to some, more to others, but we live in a world where you have to be making money to survive.  As for Marten, he lives in a city, eats and drinks at establishments, etc.  Money is important to him.  If he was given a million dollars, he would be happy, just like anyone would be.

...Railroading an argument isn't winning it. Nobody's going to just give Marten a million dollars, who cares if it'd make him happy?

By the way, I followed the logic just fine. Would you kill someone for a million dollars? Believe it or not, some people would say yes, ignoring the same logic you describe, for the same reaon you describe. point is, nobody's paying anyone a million dollars to shovel crap, and Marten has an interest in music. As previously stated, you can make a living doing music without becoming super-famous, and be just fine. He may not be super-rich from it, but let's face it, most of us aren't from our jobs.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #187 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:02 »

I vote Ode to Joy
the former are just for practice
but Ode to Joy is the My First Clarinet Recital staple, man

(as a former 8-year clarinet player this comic really made me smile
WOODIE SOLIDARITY MARTEN *brofist*)

It's a first piano recital staple as well! I totally played this at my first one.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #188 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:21 »

If he was given a million dollars, he would be happy, just like anyone would be.

Have you ever read about the misery that many people who win a million or more on the pools or a lottery get into?  Money does not  always bring happiness, and that fact is well known.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #189 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:23 »

And folks, can we have less of the quote tunnels, please.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #190 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:26 »

It showed on your phone? It didn't show on my mine. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what everyone was talking about to start with.

It repeated at about 0.5Hz in Safari on my iPhone 3Gs running iOS v4.whatever.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #191 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:46 »

As someone who's starting his final semester of student teaching in a few weeks, I don't think this can be stressed enough.

i concur, i finished student teaching last semester. While it is BY FAR the most amazing and rewarding thing I've ever done, by the time it was over I was broke as a joke. It really is a full time job you PAY to have. Hellooooo student loans!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #192 on: 11 Aug 2011, 12:49 »

I never said money isn't important. Believe me I understand how important money is. I'm ridiculously in debt, so I really don't have any money. I completely understand the importance of making money to survive. However, you make it seem as though money is the only important thing. I'm pretty much broke. I can't even afford to finish school because I screwed up and ended up in so much debt. But I'm still relatively happy. Would I be happier if I wasn't in debt? Sure. Would it take me making a ton of money to make me happier? No, not at all. I have a great family, great friends, my health, my awesome dog, and I have a job. For me, that's good enough. Someday, I'd like to own my own home, but I'm 24 years old, it's okay that I haven't hit the point in my life yet. Marten's character, not so far off in age from me. And to be honest with you, if I won a million dollars, I'd pay off my debt, got school, give some money to my parents and my sister, maybe put a little in savings, and give the rest to charity. By the rest I mean probably more than half of that million dollars. But lets be real, that's never going to happen.

In the first post you mentioned something about wanting Marten's character to go back to school. But, having a college degree... it doesn't guarantee you a job. Even going to grad school, doesn't guarantee you a job. Go into a profession that will automatically make you a ton of money, or will always guarantee you a job? Cool. If it's something you want to do and can handle. My mother tells me every day of my life I should go into nursing. I think she's crazy. I could never handle being a nurse. But she thinks that's the best way to guarantee that I'll have a job once I finish school. But I know that could never be a nurse. I can't even handle going to the doctor when I'm sick. You also mentioned he should pick a "low-risk" attainable career. There is no such think as a low-risk career choice. Some things that may seem like the best idea ever, by the time you finish school, may not even be around anymore. I started off as a journalism major. And then when the AJC (I live in Atlanta) laid off several hundred people because the demand for print journalism has gone down so much, I realized... even that was no longer a guarantee. Even being a teacher isn't low-risk anymore. They closed down four elementary schools in the Metro-Atlanta area this summer. Four entire schools. I don't believe there is such a thing as a low-risk job. And I think that someone in their mid-twenties... should be shooting for their dreams. You don't have to have the perfect life by the age of thirty (seems to be your magical number).

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #193 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:08 »

@Sylentknight...  [avoiding thread-quotation as to appease the pwhodges volcano :-D ]

Actually, Hanners has been filling the companion (or "female bud" as was put) role for & with Marten for a while now.  This can be tenatively seen after The Break Up, and more clearly around The Secret Bakery introductionary arc, and afterwards.  Hell, it may be why Hanners was in Marten's apartment for unrevealed reasons just a five strips ago... :wink:

While Faye can and does still occasionally walk alongside Marten, her romantic relationship with Angus has taken her away from Marten's side.  This is not a "bad" thing (nor on purpose on her part), since Faye's character has progressed a lot as a result, it is just an unintended consequence of such things.

Whether they will suddenly realize that these changes has come upon them without their really noticing, and how they will re-evaluate their position(s) in the circle of friends, remains to be seen (or drawn by Jeph).  If so, it would probably make for some good drama and a week or so of introspective strips from each character's perspective &/or interaction.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 13:14 by pendrake »

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #194 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:20 »

All of this talk of Marten's professional life seems odd to me. Looking at the text itself, right now we have a character who's looking for the thing that gives his life meaning and purpose. He seems to have decided that making music might be that thing, but so far he's made absolutely no indication that he intends to try to be a profesional musician on any kind of a full time scale. When Hanners asks him whether or not they'll play show in today's strip, he answers "I dunno' maybe."

There are, in the real world, many many people who work day jobs that aren't their life's passion in order to support an avocation that is (art, religion, family, role playing games, whatever).

It seems to me that stoutfiles and musicalsoul are both hoping that the story will validate the way they've chosen to live their respective lives. I suggest you each simply take validation from the joy your monetary and culinary successes bring. You don't need a web comic to tell you that you're doing it right.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #195 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:33 »

Y'know, I could picture Marten as a music teacher. Especially for kids since he's so patient.
The forumites support your idea. Teaching privately was ranked the fifth best career alternative for Marten when polled . The sample size for that poll was relatively small, so this was certainly within a margin of error from being a bit higher also.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #196 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:33 »

avoiding thread-quotation as to appease the pwhodges volcano :-D

Of course you can quote, silly!  But quote for context, and delete what's not required for that - in particular, nested quoting (which is what "quote tunnel" means) is usually unnecessary, makes the thread harder to read, and consumes bandwidth to no end.

I've never been compared with a volcano before.

Remember that he actually offered to teach Natasha in the early days of the band - but Jeph didn't follow it up.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36 by pwhodges »

musicalsoul

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #197 on: 11 Aug 2011, 13:53 »

It seems to me that stoutfiles and musicalsoul are both hoping that the story will validate the way they've chosen to live their respective lives. I suggest you each simply take validation from the joy your monetary and culinary successes bring. You don't need a web comic to tell you that you're doing it right.

I'm not at all looking for validation for my lifestyle based on this story arc or anything like that. There was just something about stoutfiles tone that put me on the offensive. I hate the insinuation of alternative lifestyles, to the one you (that is the collective you, not you specifically :-D) chose, are not valid.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #198 on: 11 Aug 2011, 14:12 »

You don't need a web comic to tell you that you're doing it right.

x1,000.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #199 on: 11 Aug 2011, 14:22 »

@pwhodges...

Yes, I know what "quote tunnel" means.  I weep crocodile tears at the somber moderator death of what I thought was a clear enough poke & joke :cry: .  Guess I will have to try harder next time...

As for being compared to a volcano, if you want we can try throwing a virgin into you.  ...or one of the many large-breasted women that frequent these forums :evil: .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up