THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

Mutual self-perpetuating sleep-deprivation freakouts!
- 10 (17.5%)
"I tried. Five times. They keep forgetting."
- 5 (8.8%)
"You're not stupid!"
- 0 (0%)
Just takes her hobbies very seriously.
- 0 (0%)
Who sets their alarm for 9:17?
- 2 (3.5%)
MARIGOLD LOUISE FARMER!
- 6 (10.5%)
Hanners grounds Marigold!
- 6 (10.5%)
JOU JOU YUUJOU! BANJI MAJI KACHOU!!!
- 5 (8.8%)
Hi dad... No, I didn't BREAK SOMETHING... No, it's not the Red Chinese...
- 0 (0%)
You run a SHOE WEBSITE.
- 0 (0%)
I'm not lying! I swear! Talk to my dad, he'll prove it!
- 1 (1.8%)
Your father wants me to extend it to a week (AUGH!)
- 6 (10.5%)
No video games for the next three days!
- 0 (0%)
Sad eyes at Momo! (It's for your own good)
- 0 (0%)
Th - the Mitsubishi PX-3500?
- 0 (0%)
But it costs thirty thousand...
- 0 (0%)
I'LL TAKE OUT A LOAN JUST LET ME PLAY SOME FRIGGIN' VIDEO GAMES
- 7 (12.3%)
Were you serious about the new chassis?
- 0 (0%)
'Sides, I like you just the way you are.
- 3 (5.3%)
Momo fills out her resume!
- 5 (8.8%)
14 Elm Grove Lane (no such number)
- 1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)  (Read 68612 times)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
Re: WCDT 15-19 August 2011 (1991-95)
« Reply #50 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:21 »

Marigold Louise Farmer? Are her parents the Waltons?

Well I guess, not, because then her last name would be Walton.

Anyway...I think Marigold might have a problem (that I also have).
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

altered_carbon

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #51 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:34 »

Pssshhhh, if anyone's got the problem, it's Hanners; Going to sleep at one point in time then waking up at another? The devil take the thought.
But seriously, is she so sleep deprived that she doesn't even feel like time has passed when she does sleep? I mean, one panel's difference is five hours of sleep? That's surely a problem.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:38 »

Dang, band week is over. I enjoyed it a bit too much I guess.. sigh.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #53 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:26 »

I thought a goldfarmer was just somebody who performed mindless monotonous grinding of gold/items for a fee. Like an American pays a Korean a few dollars an hour to logon as them and do the boring stuff and gain them currency.

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #54 on: 16 Aug 2011, 03:47 »

Marigold Louise Farmer? Are her parents the Waltons?

Well I guess, not, because then her last name would be Walton.

And Louiiiiise
and her lover
so entwined
and these visions
of JOhanna
that conquer my miiiiind

:-)

I like the name.
I think middle names should as a rule be old-fashioned bordering on ridiculous  :-D

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #55 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:15 »

Other than confiscating her DS(?) what's Hanners gonna do?

Spankings are out of the question - although there are now dozens of people imagining same, and several who are busy making their sketches...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

riot_invoked

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #56 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:32 »

I like the idea of "grounding" as a punishment for Marigold - wonder why she's even upset about it?  :lol:

I like the idea of spanking better  :evil:

In all seriousness though today's comic was my favorite in quite a while.  Now that Dora and Marten's "relationship" is resolved it is glad to see some other characters involved in something besides just selling Dinosaur Espresso Machines or band practice. We haven't seen much of Faye and her SO lately either.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 04:37 by riot_invoked »

Tanman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:11 »

So Faye and Marty may have nothing to worry about re: Hannelore and the creepy douches.

According to Neko Case as per an interview on "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me" it's a myth that Female singers get male groupies lining up to hit on them. Evidence that Neko Case should have scores of male groupies hitting on her:

Also check out her interview on Wait Wait... She is adorable nerdy. http://www.npr.org/2011/07/09/137688630/singer-songwriter-neko-case-plays-not-my-job

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #58 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:50 »

So Faye and Marty may have nothing to worry about re: Hannelore and the creepy douches.

According to Neko Case as per an interview on "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me" it's a myth that Female singers get male groupies lining up to hit on them. Evidence that Neko Case should have scores of male groupies hitting on her:

Also check out her interview on Wait Wait... She is adorable nerdy. http://www.npr.org/2011/07/09/137688630/singer-songwriter-neko-case-plays-not-my-job

I beg to differ: http://jalopnik.com/5777372/ask-me-anything-neko-case-edition

Also, Hanners slept 5 hours? Is that normal for her?

wrwight

• Furry furrier
  • Having a tag line is so mainstream
    • My Music
« Reply #59 on: 16 Aug 2011, 07:55 »

@musicalsoul and Andy147
Yeah, I was reading along like "Yeah, how could you not know Michael Jordan?" and then all of a sudden I was like "Space Jam?!?" Personally I probably won't ever forget watching his final Bulls championship as #23. That was a hell of an experience. I wish I could have actually been there, but even on TV it was fantastic. That was my favorite Bulls team by far.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #60 on: 16 Aug 2011, 08:14 »

Apparently, Marigold was being a butt.
Also, Neko Case *rowr*

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #61 on: 16 Aug 2011, 08:26 »

Hannelore and the creepy douches.

... as Dave Barry would have written, "... which is also a great name for a band."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:21 »

The question is, is that officially Marigold's name now? Marigold Louise Farmer? Or was Hannelore just making it up like Veronica was for Marten?

Louise may in fact be Marigold's middle name, but "Louise" itself is frequently used in some circles as a generic catch-all middle name to be exclaimed in consternation when someone has crossed the line with some utterance or done something like what's in today's strip.

I'm thinking in particular of The Stephanie Miller Show, a liberal/progressive radio show syndicated by Dial Global. If someone on the show insinuates something about a political figure that's not supported by the record or veers off into unexpected language territory, they'll get called out by the host or the producer or both with a Louise in the middle of their name, male or female.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #63 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:23 »

For me it is... But that's because I'm on vacations. But when I start to study again I think it will just go up one or two hours.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #64 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:50 »

1. @Method of Madness...  Gold buyers, in my opinion, are slothful people with more money than wisdom who are the manure fertilizer in which gold farmer "companies" grow from.  However, gold buyers are generally only malign in that they perpetuate the cycle, where-as gold farmer "companies" actively disrupt a regular player's play and enjoyment of the game.

2. @Sluthy...  "Gold Farmer" is a wide-spectrum term from those sweat shop masses and illegal third-party programs that automate the character in-game, to those who use multi-computer and e-bayed/hacked accounts with equally automated programs to spam players repeatedly with their "advertisements" to buy their "products & services."  It is a constant war between the MMO game companies and the gold farmer "companies" in trying to block off such chat-spam & in-game mail spam traffic and finding ways to bypass such blocks.

3. Rather obviously, I feel very strongly about this, being a veteran & "traditional" MMO-player.  Less emotionally speaking, I would have nothing against gold farmers were I left alone to play in (relative) peace.  Yes, one "can" /ignore them, but that is the equivalent of trying to ignore an automated telemarker calling you at 0200, the phone still rings and you still have to get up block the call(s).  I do not need/want such harassment during leisure time that I have set aside in my day/night and am paying a subscription for.

4. Anyway...getting back on track towards QC, considering we have seen Hanners stay awake for days upon a time, her getting short bursts of sleep seems appropriate for someone with her level of OCD and for being consistently drawn with bags under her eyes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:56 »

What's the explanation for Hanners knowing Marigirl's full name?

Bonus points if your explanation involves something creepy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #66 on: 16 Aug 2011, 12:59 »

She had been stalking Marigold since Winslow first met with Momo.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #67 on: 16 Aug 2011, 14:00 »

It was stitched into Marigold's underwear; Hanners found it when she was tidying up Mari's room.

That works, I think, but it's not very creepy…maybe if I noted that this is possibly the least clothing we've seen Hannelore wearing? Is that :psyduck: enough?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #68 on: 16 Aug 2011, 14:38 »

Louise may in fact be Marigold's middle name, but "Louise" itself is frequently used in some circles as a generic catch-all middle name to be exclaimed in consternation when someone has crossed the line with some utterance or done something like what's in today's strip.

Geez Louise!

That looks odd written down...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #69 on: 16 Aug 2011, 15:38 »

My middle name resembles Louise and I'm a guy.

I wonder what punishments Hanners will give Marigold. Although I don't think we would see any spankings soon.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #70 on: 16 Aug 2011, 16:31 »

You can't get much more parental than invoking someone's full name when they are in trouble.
I knew I was in trouble when my mother addressed me by the formal form of my family title... :oops:

Hanners knows Marigold's middle name because she has Mari's apartment wired, just in case. Considering that Marigold is be pretty close to being a shut-in, electronic grounding would seem the only way to bring her down to earth.  :roll:

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 16 Aug 2011, 17:13 »

Will I get banned if I explain in in a complicated Yuri-ish type of setting only reserved for doujin sold at Comiket?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #72 on: 16 Aug 2011, 17:45 »

I beg to differ: http://jalopnik.com/5777372/ask-me-anything-neko-case-edition

Anonymous douchebags, who fail at irony on an Internet comment stream, are not the same as having skinny indie-boy groupies to feed you grapes after gigs. Indeed, 'tis almost certain that if that guy actually went to one of Ms. Case's performances he would never even work up the nerve to actually try to get backstage, much less ask her out.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #73 on: 16 Aug 2011, 18:52 »

Will I get banned if I explain in in a complicated Yuri-ish type of setting only reserved for doujin sold at Comiket?

Yes

And I expect Hanners will take away her allowance too.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #74 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:06 »

I figure she actually does know her full name.  They've had a very close, almost sisterly relationship since at least the breakup - I wouldn't be surprised if Hannelore could recite Marigold's PIN if you made her.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 19:08 by Near Lurker »
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #75 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:12 »

You can't get much more parental than invoking someone's full name when they are in trouble.
I knew I was in trouble when my mother addressed me by the formal form of my family title... :oops:

Hanners knows Marigold's middle name because she has Mari's apartment wired, just in case. Considering that Marigold is be pretty close to being a shut-in, electronic grounding would seem the only way to bring her down to earth.  :roll:

With that level of prep, that makes Hanners the goddam Batman.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:17 »

[...] electronic grounding would seem the only way to bring her down to earth.  :roll:

And once again, the QC forums provide an outlet for puns.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #77 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:27 »

Hanners definitely has some weird wake-up times. 9:17? Part of me thinks she had an alarm set for 9:15 and slept through the first two minutes of the alarm.

Then again, that should have set Marigold off and make her put the DS away. Also, where did Hanners' pants go? They just...vanished. :psyduck:
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:30 »

She also magically teleported in and out of bed between frames. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE.

SirDudley

« Reply #79 on: 16 Aug 2011, 19:40 »

She also magically teleported in and out of bed between frames. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE.
Simple. She got up, went to check on Marigold, and yelled at her for not sleeping. Jeph simply opted to not show Hanners getting out of bed and walking out of her room.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #80 on: 16 Aug 2011, 20:44 »

With that level of prep, that makes Hanners the goddam Batman.

No. She's Pizza Girl. Didn't you get the memo?

EDIT: New poll up. Bonus points if you get some of the references.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 20:52 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #81 on: 16 Aug 2011, 20:57 »

Heh... "extend it for a week".

You could HEAR the "Big No" all the way from Northampton to here...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 16 Aug 2011, 21:01 »

This gets better and better.

quats

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #83 on: 16 Aug 2011, 21:51 »

Darn you, curiosity. Darn you all to heck. And back.
I had to look up that ringtone... and it's INCREDIBLY CUTE AND CATCHY. I'll probably be humming it for the next two months.

The OK Go video edited to match it absolutely cracked me up, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cts7H-ONidQ

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #84 on: 16 Aug 2011, 21:56 »

Hm...total nerd, partial shut-in, domineering father....Marigold is reminding me more and more of Amber from Shortpacked.

(don't tell Jeph I said that  :angel:)
- Alvin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #85 on: 16 Aug 2011, 22:03 »

You're thinking Tiberius, and even that's not right since his father was a stick in the mud.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SirDudley

« Reply #86 on: 16 Aug 2011, 22:15 »

Lol, Mr. Farmer not only accepts Hanners' choice of punishment, but asks for an extension. And without even meeting Hanners in person, no less.

So, will Mr. Farmer become as mysterious as HannerDad, or will he actually make a future appearance?

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #87 on: 16 Aug 2011, 23:15 »

lol, nerds ^-^

WAYF

• Beyoncé
« Reply #88 on: 16 Aug 2011, 23:15 »

Aaaand I'm born! :D

Wait a second, why is it evening?
 :psyduck:

WAIT.
They went to bed at four in the AFTERNOON? And Hannelore woke up at 9:17 in the EVENING?!
 :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #89 on: 16 Aug 2011, 23:25 »

Well they'd been up well over 24 hours at that point.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #90 on: 16 Aug 2011, 23:33 »

The curtains were drawn.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 16 Aug 2011, 23:43 »

The Chinese are out to take down Shoestore Websites in order to force us all to wear Kung Fu shoes.   :-D

Cue the 'Wtihdrawl Symptoms Montage' for tomorrow.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #92 on: 17 Aug 2011, 00:05 »

For comic #1993...

[Hanners]: Yes, I think so too. Have a nice evening!

1. Wait...  "evening"?  What time is it for Hanners & Marigold?  or for Mr. Farmer? :?

2. For Marigold's ringtone: Nichijou Opening #2 (with lyrics).  Definitely one of the stranger, if nerd-ier, things to refernce...  (I certainly never heard of this before...)

3. Damn the "Reds," always trying to control the internets and our shoes :x .

4. I approve of stern Hanners, Jeph did a great job artwise in portraying that attitude in this strip.

5. I approve of Hannelore's nightie :evil: .
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2011, 00:06 by pendrake »

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #93 on: 17 Aug 2011, 00:33 »

Re: jwhouk's bonus challenge

Louise (well, we just learned about it)
Ann (???, sorry my lack of education shows)
Scarlett (Southern Belle, as in GWTW)
Maria (Italo-Swedish spelling for Mary, "= Miss" in Catholica)
Tiberi(on)us (Stick in the mud?)
Lovelace (Ada?)
Stephano+Kristin (lost me there)
Blodwyn (a white flower from Wales)
Sixtythree (sixty root nine?)
i (Pad, or "i, Robot")
Waffles (yummy euphemisms)
Jacques (Quebecois?)
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

mrgstiffler

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Vagoo?
« Reply #94 on: 17 Aug 2011, 01:00 »

Hannelore's face in the 4th panel is new. I like it!
Pay That!

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #95 on: 17 Aug 2011, 01:26 »

She resembles a certain mother of hers.

But I guess it's not too hard to figure out who that is, is it?

:psyduck:
- Alvin

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #96 on: 17 Aug 2011, 01:38 »

Shoe website, eh? I can't help but feel Mr. Farmer runs one of those companies that commands legions of ill-grammared spambots to advertise free air jordans on every single unrelated forum on the internet.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #97 on: 17 Aug 2011, 02:36 »

So, when does Hanners conscript Momo to the cause?

Plasma_Wolf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 17 Aug 2011, 02:47 »

So, Hanners just held a phone in her hand, and put it so close to her ear that all of the germs from Marigolds pants (and Marigold herself) are now on her head? This can only go wrong :)

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #99 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:01 »

Shoe website, eh? I can't help but feel Mr. Farmer runs one of those companies that commands legions of ill-grammared spambots to advertise free air jordans on every single unrelated forum on the internet.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem does turn out to be the Red Chinese....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up