THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 09:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

I've never seen you wearing shorts before.
- 0 (0%)
It's all right, but it's no Angus-booty.
- 4 (6.2%)
Why does that hurt my feelings.
- 5 (7.7%)
Mount Tom - and Elliot's silly hat
- 1 (1.5%)
Awesome backgrounds!
- 4 (6.2%)
Bug spray - for Momo?
- 0 (0%)
"BUG Spray! Get it? Software bugs? Hahahahahaha..."
- 3 (4.6%)
SNAKE!
- 1 (1.5%)
2d10 falling damage (but she caught the snake!)
- 18 (27.7%)
"I'm gonna name him Bitey!"
- 2 (3.1%)
"You always name them Bitey."
- 4 (6.2%)
"What, are you scared? C'mon, it's perfectly..."
- 1 (1.5%)
FWOOOOOSH! "-aaaaAAAAAAAIEEEE"
- 2 (3.1%)
Padma's nearly blown away!
- 1 (1.5%)
"You're free, Bitey! You're free!"
- 0 (0%)
"Ah, I'm gonna miss this place."
- 0 (0%)
"I'm moving home in a couple weeks..."
- 1 (1.5%)
LA. "I miss my family, and my grandma needs someone to take care of her."
- 1 (1.5%)
"Wow, are you really gonna miss my baking that much?"
- 2 (3.1%)
"I'm, uh, I'm pretty infatuated. With your baking. Yes."
- 15 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2016-2020 (19-23 Sep 2011)  (Read 76835 times)

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT: 2016-2020 (19-23 Sep 2011)
« Reply #300 on: 23 Sep 2011, 05:57 »

I'd feel bad for Marten if he actually liked Padma, but he doesn't.  He just thinks she's hot.  Most of their interactions have ended awkwardly or leaving Marten with hurt feelings, so it's best it ends now. 

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #301 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:00 »

Quote from: Friend of mine
"Well, a lot of stuff can happen in a few weeks"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #302 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:21 »

I suspect Jeph decided to take the whole "mirror image COD" to it's limit - the reason why he came to NoHo in the first place ends up being the reason why he can't date the girl who he fell for at tSB.

So I'll go and make a prediction: He ends up dating Renee.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #303 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:27 »

I'd feel bad for Marten if he actually liked Padma, but he doesn't.  He just thinks she's hot.  Most of their interactions have ended awkwardly or leaving Marten with hurt feelings, so it's best it ends now. 

He admitted he's infatuated with her. However, our pretty Indian subcontinental friend is so clueless she doesn't realize it. Or only realizes the vaguest outline of it.

I think that Jeph is playing Battleship with our hearts and minds. If only there was a trope that covered what he is doing before our eyes.

Three for one special!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #304 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:53 »

Okay, I want that last 20 minutes of my life back.
Just another Joe like 46

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #305 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:57 »

He admitted he's infatuated with her. However, our pretty Indian subcontinental friend is so clueless she doesn't realize it. Or only realizes the vaguest outline of it.

I think that Jeph is playing Battleship with our hearts and minds. If only there was a trope that covered what he is doing before our eyes.

Three for one special!

Yes, but why is he infatuated with her?  Other than the initial attraction, the comics haven't shown any similar interests, touching moments, etc.  Their interactions have been stressful, awkward, confusing, etc.  Liking a girl based on looks alone is doomed to fail.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #306 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:02 »

I suspect Jeph decided to take the whole "mirror image COD" to it's limit - the reason why he came to NoHo in the first place ends up being the reason why he can't date the girl who he fell for at tSB.

I suspect it's more likely the whole bakery gang is going to be "put on the bus."  It would be cool if he'd date Renee, because if she's like Faye as many suspect it would show us how dating Faye would have actually worked, without the complete destruction of their friendship and Faye fleeing back south that probably would have resutled.

With Padma leaving Marten is free to hunt down his real next girlfriend, the girl with the flannel shirt, short skirt, and glasses from a while back.  The one who looked a bit like a cross between Faye and Marigold.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #307 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:06 »

Could it be that Martin's attraction comes from the old adage: Men want what they can't have.

Black Sword

« Reply #308 on: 23 Sep 2011, 07:37 »

Three for one special!

Yes, but why is he infatuated with her?  Other than the initial attraction, the comics haven't shown any similar interests, touching moments, etc.  Their interactions have been stressful, awkward, confusing, etc.  Liking a girl based on looks alone is doomed to fail.

You don't need a reason to like a person. You barely need a reason to love a person (though if you want a marriage, you have plenty of other factors besides love to consider), but he likes her because he likes her. She's pretty and interesting. Reason enough to be attracted to her and liking her.

They were delicious!

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #309 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:30 »

Can I be really juvenile and make a joke about how much he likes her cinnamon buns? Please?  :-D
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Black Sword

« Reply #310 on: 23 Sep 2011, 08:38 »

Can I be really juvenile and make a joke about how much he likes her cinnamon buns? Please?  :-D

Yes, you may, but please make sure it's not half-baked.  :-D

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #311 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:06 »

FAREWELL SHACKUPS FAREWELL SHACKUPS

Jedit

« Reply #312 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:15 »

More seriously, I'm kind of wondering exactly what it is about Padma's baking (ahem) that's infatuating Marten.

As a wise man once said, "You ain't seen nothing till you're down on the muffin".

But, Padma gone in two weeks... that's bad.  We'd barely got to know her, and now in 500 strips she'll be gone?
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #313 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:46 »

FAREWELL SHACKUPS FAREWELL SHACKUPS

Wait - are you saying farewell to the prospect of shackups, or are you pushing for shackups as a form of farewell? 

The latter strikes me as a bad idea. 

so Padma might actually go for it...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #314 on: 23 Sep 2011, 11:49 »

I love all the choices that are being set up here:

Marten gets to choose whether or not to pursue Padma
-- a long distance relationship would be a way to park him in his current predicament and keep the general mopeyness
-- if he chooses not to pursue her then he gets to go and live in the post-Dora "decide what you want to do and go after what you want" era

Momo's choosing how live her life as an AI:
-- she's currently getting a serious look at what a 13yo life might be like should she choose to act like that
-- if she decides to assume an older persona then she might want to choose a different chassis
-- she's also getting some exposure to real physical danger which might influence the chassis question

Marigold's eventually going to have to choose how to relate with Momo, should Momo go in a different direction with her persona/chassis

Elliot has been showing signs of being a Good Guy. Elliot's got to choose whether he thinks Marten's a Good Guy too to decide if he wants to take down his "big aloof slightly threatening" facade and actually befriend Marten

Any more?

John_Knee

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #315 on: 23 Sep 2011, 11:53 »

Just because she is planning to return to California, it doesn't mean she'll actually return - it depends on her reasons. Maybe with the realisation of possible romance that she might hang around for a bit longer and ultimately exit stage left back to California upon splitting up... Maybe...

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #316 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:22 »

Alas poor Padma, We Hardly Knew Ye. Does this mean someone new will arrive to take her place at TSB? Or will we really be leaving Mass. for some time?
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #317 on: 23 Sep 2011, 12:46 »

Well I'd go with stoutfiles' comments here. If anything I would've guessed Marten is sad about a lost possible chance rather than about losing Padma as a person.

She's pretty and interesting. Reason enough to be attracted to her and liking her.
Define "interesting". (I didn't find her interesting but that's of course a matter of taste, I just want to ask which aspects of her you're referring to.)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #318 on: 23 Sep 2011, 13:03 »

He ends up dating Renee.
And brotray Angus?  Are you crazy?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #319 on: 23 Sep 2011, 13:39 »

Most of their interactions have ended awkwardly or leaving Marten with hurt feelings

Just what Marten goes for!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #320 on: 23 Sep 2011, 13:58 »

Could it be that Martin's attraction comes from the old adage: Men want what they can't have.

And it's corollary: Men really just want their mothers.

You don't need a reason to like a person. You barely need a reason to love a person (though if you want a marriage, you have plenty of other factors besides love to consider), but he likes her because he likes her. She's pretty and interesting. Reason enough to be attracted to her and liking her.
Falling in love requires a pulse. Staying in love requires a plan.

They were delicious!

:P
Just another Joe like 46

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #321 on: 23 Sep 2011, 14:21 »

She's pretty and interesting. Reason enough to be attracted to her and liking her.
Define "interesting". (I didn't find her interesting but that's of course a matter of taste, I just want to ask which aspects of her you're referring to.)

I'm the kind of person who would be attracted to someone like Padma, She has such a different perspective that I want to follow her down some of her tangents and see the world the way she sees it. Also there's the "What will she say next?" factor, which keeps you on your toes.

dragontart

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #322 on: 23 Sep 2011, 16:13 »

I see what you mean, didn't think about her behaviour in that way. I agree that it could be something to attract people on a personal level. I don't think that's exactly what Marten sees in her, though, but I can't claim that to be anything but a personal guess. He just didn't seem to be exactly curious about that behaviour of her but pretty ..overchallenged? in such situations.

BlueMark

• Plantmonster
« Reply #323 on: 23 Sep 2011, 17:39 »

How self-aware is Padma? It may only take a week back in LA before she remembers why she left it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #324 on: 23 Sep 2011, 17:42 »

Family obligations might make her feel she has to stay there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #325 on: 23 Sep 2011, 17:45 »

So, Marten, you can now tell yourself that she didn't fall for you because she's known she was leaving soon.
It might even be true.

Spectreofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #326 on: 23 Sep 2011, 17:59 »

I'm the kind of person who would be attracted to someone like Padma, She has such a different perspective that I want to follow her down some of her tangents and see the world the way she sees it. Also there's the "What will she say next?" factor, which keeps you on your toes.

I keep a few people like that as friends (like pets!).

As a girlfriend, though, she may very well drive me nuts.

Muirghiel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #327 on: 23 Sep 2011, 18:50 »

No. Bad plot! Do not going to spend months building up tension to see whether Marten will move to LA to be with a girl.
Right or wrong [...] It's just something we do, like staring at Muirghiel's bouncing tits

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #328 on: 23 Sep 2011, 19:08 »

Only 20 minutes on TVTropes? That's some impressive self-control you've got there.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Wimblesaurus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #329 on: 23 Sep 2011, 19:23 »

I'd feel bad for Marten if he actually liked Padma, but he doesn't.  He just thinks she's hot.  Most of their interactions have ended awkwardly or leaving Marten with hurt feelings, so it's best it ends now.  

Three for one special!

Infatuated literally means "made stupid."  So basically, there's no readily apparent reason for the attraction; it cannot and does not need to be explained.  The infatuatee just needs some perspective to see whether there's any substance to the crush, not that that ever really happens.

No, I'm not speaking from experience here  :roll:

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #330 on: 23 Sep 2011, 19:51 »

Marten has a crush on Padma. You don't really need to explain a crush-- you see someone, there's that spark. BOOM. So, I'd say it's more than just thinking that she's hot... Crushes are hard to explain.  But I wouldn't say that he has any real/serious feelings for her. They don't seem to have a lot of (or any) common interests, they have never had an in-depth conversation, etc, etc.

Crushes are normal, healthy, and fun! It's good for him to have that, but I'm glad that she's moving away. I think he just needed to direct those feelings toward someone after the break-up with Dora. I never saw any real possibility of them being together-- it's just my opinion, but they do not seem like they would work well in a relationship. She's actually starting to grow on me, but I still don't see them as a couple. Like someone else already said-- with her out of the picture, Marten can find his REAL next girlfriend. It might be funny if it WAS Padma's replacement at the bakery.  :roll:

Annnyways. I wouldn't be too surprised if Padma does like him. Oblivious people don't always know how to express things to other people. She'll spring it on him right before she leaves.  :-P

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #331 on: 23 Sep 2011, 19:53 »

Dawww,

Marten's gonna need a drink to put out those flames.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #332 on: 23 Sep 2011, 20:09 »

Annnyways. I wouldn't be too surprised if Padma does like him. Oblivious people don't always know how to express things to other people. She'll spring it on him right before she leaves.  :-P

Heh, yeah I can see something like this happening: the day she's leaving, she's gives Marten a smoking hot goodbye kiss, then gets in the cab to the airport. Marten's left standing there red-faced and with a raging and obvious boner. D'oh!

emeraldbeacon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #333 on: 23 Sep 2011, 23:42 »

Well, Padma did say she was going home "In a couple of weeks".  At the rate time passes in this comic, that should give us a few months' worth of webcomics with her, at least...  :wink:

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #334 on: 23 Sep 2011, 23:57 »

Full circle!

Marten leaves Cali for NE for a girl. Realizes he's got issues. Girl he likes leaves NE for Cali.

I like that it's tied together this way. I hope Marten has some epiphanies after this :>

Been reading this comic for years and years, I think about ~200 strips in from the beginning. It's really improved a lot! You're doing a great job, Jeph (in case you read this which you probably don't)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #335 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:55 »

But, Padma gone in two weeks... that's bad.  We'd barely got to know her, and now in 500 strips she'll be gone?
Oh, come on, time isn't that slow in the strip. I think she'll set foot in LaLa land in about 450 or so. And, by the way, I fear for her grandmother.

"Padma, dear, I don't think I can stand up."
"Yeah, I hate all that Pixar junk, too."
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

billydaking

• Plantmonster
« Reply #336 on: 24 Sep 2011, 05:57 »

She fell ~10 feet onto a jutted rock, hitting her square in the back, then another ~6 feet afterward.  The fact she isn't seriously injured annoys me; I don't like when comics that exist on the plane of reality bend the laws of physics for comedy.  The robots and dinensional portals are one thing, but humans, gravity, and rock faces are another.

At the very least the hiking trip should be over, you can't take a kid hiking if they're flinging themselves off cliffs.

Considering that I had similar fall (fell on back, bounced off, then went forearms first into the ground) when I was about 10 years old and came away with just bruises...yeah, it can happen. My little sister also fell down two flights of concrete steps and survived without anything broken. The thing is this...kids tend to get less seriously injured than adults because they don't think (i.e., prepare themselves mentally for) about is to happen, so they don't tense up, which highly increases the likelihood of broken bones. The same reason why drunk people have a habit of walking away unscathed from car wrecks.

I'm annoyed when people think they understand reality, but it's really just their perception of it.

I'm annoyed when people give outliers and try to say that they understand reality better than others.  Throw a 100 kids down concrete stairs or 20 ft rock faces and see how many walk away perfectly fine.  While your muscle statement may be true, kids get less injured because they weigh less and their bones are much softer.  They still get injured and they most definitely cry.  The only reason why none of this is happening is because it's not funny that way, and that's what Jeph was going for.  Works for most people, but not for everyone.

This is late, but I can't let this pass...

1. It is not an outlier. If what you imply is true, then every single kid in my Kenny and Co. childhood would have wound up with broken bones, in traction, or dead every single year. The fact is that kids and pre-teens frequently do things that would normally do serious damage to adults but come away with only cuts and bruises. Any parent or camp counselor can tell you that, and most people I know have a story like mine or my sister's from their own childhood.

2. Beside the point, you said, "bending the law of physics," saying that it was *impossible* for any kid to have that fall and emerge unscathed. I simply pointed out that it was not impossible because I had a similar fall in my own life, as did my sister, and came through without anything broken. You are wrong in that Jeph bent the law of physics and portrayed something completely unrealistic, when it's something that a lot of people actually experienced in their own lives, even if you and others did not. That's what I meant by mistaking your perception as reality.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #337 on: 24 Sep 2011, 07:02 »

What was... THE MOMENT OF THE WEEK?

I've never seen you wearing shorts before.    - 0 (0%)
It's all right, but it's no Angus-booty.    - 2 (3.6%)
Why does that hurt my feelings.    - 3 (5.4%)
Mount Tom - and Elliot's silly hat    - 0 (0%)
Awesome backgrounds!    - 4 (7.1%)
Bug spray - for Momo?    - 0 (0%)
"BUG Spray! Get it? Software bugs? Hahahahahaha..."    - 3 (5.4%)
SNAKE!    - 1 (1.8%)
2d10 falling damage (but she caught the snake!)    - 17 (30.4%)
"I'm gonna name him Bitey!"    - 2 (3.6%)
"You always name them Bitey."    - 4 (7.1%)

"What, are you scared? C'mon, it's perfectly..."    - 1 (1.8%)
FWOOOOOSH! "-aaaaAAAAAAAIEEEE"    - 2 (3.6%)
Padma's nearly blown away!    - 1 (1.8%)
"You're free, Bitey! You're free!"    - 0 (0%)
"Ah, I'm gonna miss this place."    - 0 (0%)
"I'm moving home in a couple weeks..."    - 1 (1.8%)
LA. "I miss my family, and my grandma needs someone to take care of her."    - 1 (1.8%)
"Wow, are you really gonna miss my baking that much?"    - 1 (1.8%)
"I'm, uh, I'm pretty infatuated. With your baking. Yes."    - 13 (23.2%)

Total Voters: 56
Just another Joe like 46

stoutfiles

• BANNED
« Reply #338 on: 24 Sep 2011, 12:17 »

Marten has a crush on Padma. You don't really need to explain a crush-- you see someone, there's that spark. BOOM. So, I'd say it's more than just thinking that she's hot... Crushes are hard to explain.  But I wouldn't say that he has any real/serious feelings for her. They don't seem to have a lot of (or any) common interests, they have never had an in-depth conversation, etc, etc.

Crushes are normal, healthy, and fun! It's good for him to have that, but I'm glad that she's moving away. I think he just needed to direct those feelings toward someone after the break-up with Dora. I never saw any real possibility of them being together-- it's just my opinion, but they do not seem like they would work well in a relationship. She's actually starting to grow on me, but I still don't see them as a couple. Like someone else already said-- with her out of the picture, Marten can find his REAL next girlfriend. It might be funny if it WAS Padma's replacement at the bakery.  :roll:

Crushes are fine, but can be unhealthy if your crush shows no interest in dating you.  At some point you need to cut your losses or you'll just be the constantly depressed Nice Guy.  The fact that people are pondering that Marten would consider moving to LA to follow a girl who sees him as barely a friend would be INSANE.  "Oh hey, I gave up my life on the east coast to follow you here because you're pretty.  Want to go do something?".  Someone call the police!  While chasing his girlfriend was pretty crazy too, he was in love and they had been together.  He barely knows Padma, they have little in common, their conversations go horribly most of the time, etc.

After Dora's supposed eye-opening speech he had one band session and has been hoping for a Padma romance that has had no legs from the start, on top of which he could be eventually replaced at his low skill job by a much more efficient robot.  At least he's getting exercise hiking, so that's something productive.  Normally it's work, coffee/bakery/bar with lots of moping/whining.  Today is a good day.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #339 on: 24 Sep 2011, 15:53 »

In completing the mirror universe, perhaps Renee narrowly survived a suicide attempt due to an abusive father at a young age?

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #340 on: 24 Sep 2011, 17:17 »

If that turns out to be so, then Renee may have a lot of anger toward men in general. Which means Marten would be in for hell dating her. Heck, he'll be catching it just trying to talk to her or asking her out.

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #341 on: 24 Sep 2011, 21:16 »

I wonder, we have seen Faye go home to Georgia for a few strips, it would be interesting to see where Martin grew up.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #342 on: 24 Sep 2011, 21:30 »

He's in a better position to afford plane tickets, given the 30% raise.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #343 on: 25 Sep 2011, 01:13 »

I wonder, we have seen Faye go home to Georgia for a few strips, it would be interesting to see where Martin grew up.

Wonder how Veronica Vance lives? Does she mix home life with Business, like Lady Heather in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up