MARTY. DANCEY. NOW.
- 1 (0.9%)
I'll have one of whatever he was...
- 0 (0%)
SAVE YOURSELF!
- 0 (0%)
Make it two.
- 2 (1.7%)
That's it, lil' bird. Spread your wings and fly!
- 2 (1.7%)
...Straight into a jet engine.
- 2 (1.7%)
Dual Conversations!
- 1 (0.9%)
Magnets or double-sided tape?
- 3 (2.6%)
"I always just REACT to things, you know?"
- 1 (0.9%)
The "does this dress make me look fat" thing
- 2 (1.7%)
DJ Tai Fighter does good!
- 0 (0%)
Secret Wine!
- 1 (0.9%)
Keep you up all night with his mischief.
- 2 (1.7%)
Hanners Muzzles Faye!
- 10 (8.5%)
YELLING!
- 14 (12%)
Band Talk.
- 0 (0%)
Oh, who are we kidding? TEH KISSES!!!!!!!!!11!!!
- 76 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2051-2055; Nov. 7-11, 2011  (Read 111002 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: WCDT 2051-2055; Nov. 7-11, 2011
« Reply #400 on: 11 Nov 2011, 13:24 »

Monday's comic opens with Faye, Hanners and Tai peeking around the door of whatever room they entered Scooby-style (with Tai, inexplicably, on top), passing sarcastic comments about either technique, or how they're never going to get back to the drinking with that going on.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #401 on: 11 Nov 2011, 13:40 »

It's 11-11-11 (or, if you're across the pond, 11-11-11).  Anyone think it's funny that Marten got his wish today?

And the comic went up at only just after 11:11.

So basically, it requires a cosmic alignment for something to go right for Marten?

*marks 12/12/12 on the calendar*
20/11/2011 comes first ;)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #402 on: 11 Nov 2011, 13:40 »

Occurs to me, What's Padma's social life usually like, when her first concern is that someone might draw genitalia on her face while she's asleep?

I had the same thought.  Apparantly, it must be something like Jeph's - I seem to remember some such occurance being reported from a con...

But yeah, probably the last  thing I'd think of doing to a pretty woman. 

Unless she were my sister, or something...
Yeah, but you don't go to parties with Faye. Or Tai, but Pads doesn't know that… yet.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #403 on: 11 Nov 2011, 14:30 »

Are they even kissing yet? It looks a bit like they are only VERY close in the last panel... depending on what happens on monday, they might still be interrupted before any kissing (in whatever fashion) takes place. oO

you beat me

There's definitely an *intent* to kiss there... which is certainly enough for purposes of the fun going on in this thread, but I see Marten's closed mouth through Padma's lips there as if she's *about to* turn her head into a kiss with him...

Gotta go with *NOT QUITE* a full-on liplock, but he might be getting in a pre-smooch on the corner of her mouth, so that probably technically counts.

OK FINE IT'S A KISS. I think.

treyhawk

• Not quite a lurker
  • Nos Amours in my heart
« Reply #404 on: 11 Nov 2011, 14:35 »

And then Marten woke up.....

That was my first thought as well.  He is still at the bar, right next to the other inebriated guy, passed out ....

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #405 on: 11 Nov 2011, 14:40 »

Naw man. Jeph's gonna go full-blown Dallas on us. Marten fainted after Faye told him about her father.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #406 on: 11 Nov 2011, 14:51 »

And then Marten woke up.....

That was my first thought as well.  He is still at the bar, right next to the other inebriated guy, passed out ....

Only problem with that is the inept dancing. Then again, this is Marten; he'd probably dream himself as a crappy dancer.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #407 on: 11 Nov 2011, 15:28 »

Drunken makeouts. This can only end well...

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #408 on: 11 Nov 2011, 15:35 »

If this was a typical sitcom next strip would have Dora come running in, shouting about how she juist realised she still loves Marten and wants to get back together, trailing off as she spots Marten and Padma kissing. The final panel would have her standing there with her mouth open in shock, Tai et al standing there looking embarrassed, and Marten and Padma not noticng her at all.

Please don't this, Mr. Jacques.  (Yeah, like he would.  Or listen to me if he does read this and wants to go in that cliiche direction.)

Amir could have an Indian or Pakistani Muslim background.  Given Padma being from an Hindu background the two being related would be a rather interesting story involving a cross religion marriage.  But there wouldn't be much point in it from the perspective of Padma and Marten's plotline.  

Ethereal

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #409 on: 11 Nov 2011, 15:47 »

Or their hypothetical parents could have named them whatever they wanted.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #410 on: 11 Nov 2011, 16:27 »

Naw man. Jeph's gonna go full-blown Dallas on us. Marten fainted after Faye told him about her father.

I would have said the taser (Hannelore's really from Amherst, her dad's a plumber and her mom is a church secretary) but, yeah, I'm with you in concept. Meanwhile,Marten has to get ready for band practice with Amir and Nat, and Dora's on her way over for TV night with Faye ...
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #411 on: 11 Nov 2011, 16:46 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=577

I'd check the newspost on that comic, before considering "just a dream" plotlines - it seems to be in a serious tone. (Unlike the "Marten's happiness" being written out of QC - that may be a joke.)

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #412 on: 11 Nov 2011, 17:41 »

Luck ain't a lady in QC. It's a man with a pipe and an attitude.

Curse you!  Now that song is stuck in my head.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #413 on: 11 Nov 2011, 17:50 »

Now all we have to do is to wait for the other shoe to drop.
And it will drop. Oh yes, it will.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #414 on: 11 Nov 2011, 18:19 »

Drunken makeouts. This can only end well...

Oooooh yeah...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #415 on: 11 Nov 2011, 18:47 »

I'd check the newspost on that comic, before considering "just a dream" plotlines - it seems to be in a serious tone. (Unlike the "Marten's happiness" being written out of QC - that may be a joke.)

For those of us too lazy:
Quote from: 'Jeph Jacques'
Probably the most common strip suggestion I recieve is "Marten is making out/having sex with Faye/Dora/Raven/Whoever, but then in panel four he wakes up and OMG IT WAS ALL A DREAM!" I will never do this, I promise.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #416 on: 11 Nov 2011, 20:52 »

Occurs to me, What's Padma's social life usually like, when her first concern is that someone might draw genitalia on her face while she's asleep?

Honestly? Sounds a lot like something my friends would have done, even until last year. Drawing on the faces of people who were asleep is pretty much nothing compared to stealing their clothes and dumping them outside in their underwear.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #417 on: 11 Nov 2011, 21:00 »

So you're thinking time travel antics then, or will Hannelore's psychic abilities develop to the point that she can bend reality?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #418 on: 11 Nov 2011, 22:15 »

Amir's of Pakistani ancestry, according to an old post in the Ask Jeph thread.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Scientivore

• Not quite a lurker
  • Meme Splicer
« Reply #419 on: 11 Nov 2011, 22:16 »

Been awhile, but this one just begged for it. And I actually have the right font now! Enjoy. =)

This is not a signature.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #420 on: 12 Nov 2011, 00:19 »

Probably the most common strip suggestion I recieve is "Marten is making out/having sex with Faye/Dora/Raven/Whoever, but then in panel four he wakes up and OMG IT WAS ALL A DREAM!" I will never do this, I promise.

Though he hasn't totally avoided Marten having fun in a dream; not his  dream, though (but wearing almost the same teeshirt).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #421 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:27 »

[...]

I also have a tough time fathoming why Padma likes Marten at all since she's shown no romantic interest in him until this point.  She's talked about herself only until this comic, and she's immediately bored by Marten's pipe dreams when she finally lets him speak.  If you're going to hook Marten up with someone, at least set it up to be believable!  I have to assume that Padma is very loose when drunk.

I don't know -- considering he's nothing more than a new regular there was no reason to invite him to go walking with them, to go dancing with them, etc (and she did hold on to Marten after she almost got blown off the cliff).  The clues have been there.  She doesn't seem that self aware so may not even realise she wanted him that way.

However, I don't think that it's going to last.  My assessment of Padma is that she's on the rebound from the (imminent) ending of her relationship with that city (sorry I can't remember the name).  Marten just happened to be likeable and arrived around the time that she had to face moving out.  I suspect also, subconsciously, she likes Marten's story becuase, like her, their current home is their adopted home.
Francisco

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #422 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:41 »

For those of us too lazy:

So I can propose that Pintsize is running a simulation of this event? Hey, if a world can have sentient robots......why not advanced CGI/Virtual reality? 

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #423 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:55 »

Ethnically impossible. Amir is an Arabic/Hebraic name, Padma is distinctly Sanskrit, related to the lotus flower and an aspect of the Hindu Great Goddess
Not that I see this happening, but ...

Ethnicity is not quite as static as that.

I've known a Tamil who took an Arabic name upon converting.  He gave me the impression it was not all that uncommon.

I could easily see two branches of the same family ending up with different ethnicities – particularly a family from the Indian subcontinent.  Plenty of ethnicities to choose from.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #424 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:47 »

Ethnically impossible. Amir is an Arabic/Hebraic name, Padma is distinctly Sanskrit, related to the lotus flower and an aspect of the Hindu Great Goddess
Not that I see this happening, but ...
Ethnicity is not quite as static as that.

I guess I don't put as much importance on "this ethnicity would never be nice to that ethnicity" as some people.
*shrug*

It would be a total comedic cliché if they were cousins or something, but Jeph's sense of comedy is clearly different than mine.
And funnier too.

</can-of-worms>

EcoReck

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #425 on: 12 Nov 2011, 11:25 »

Just a remionder; 

Sloppy makeouts =/= relationship

Sloppy makeouts =/= pity fuck

Hell, Sloppy makeouts =/= sexy times, even! 

So far, it is what it is; two peeples having some goods time togethers.  I know there's fun in prognosticating, but remember; where it goes from here is up to Jeph! 

From what I've seen, it was never about Marten wanting Dora. It was just Marten wanting to be in a relationship badly.
and not only are they sloppy makeouts, but drunken makeouts. Still, hopefully it's at least a sign that Marten is over Dora.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #426 on: 12 Nov 2011, 13:11 »

Been awhile, but this one just begged for it. And I actually have the right font now! Enjoy. =)

hehe well done!   :-D
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #427 on: 12 Nov 2011, 13:24 »

Seconded

Although I maight have hinted about that spree in California....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #428 on: 12 Nov 2011, 14:19 »

I've known a Tamil who took an Arabic name upon converting.  He gave me the impression it was not all that uncommon.
On the contrary, it is fairly normal, but are ethnicity and religion the same thing? Did Muhammad Ali change his ethnicity on converting to Islam? Would I do so if I converted to Christianity? Regardless of my religion, I'm sure that some dubious people would continue to call me "ethnic Chinese".  :-(
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #429 on: 12 Nov 2011, 14:27 »

'sOK.  I've been called "culturally Jewish".    :psyduck:

Of course, that's considered both an ethnicity and  a religion! 

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #430 on: 12 Nov 2011, 15:17 »

On the contrary, it is fairly normal, but are ethnicity and religion the same thing? Did Muhammad Ali change his ethnicity on converting to Islam? Would I do so if I converted to Christianity? Regardless of my religion, I'm sure that some dubious people would continue to call me "ethnic Chinese".  :-(
The only "safe" and somewhat workable definition of ethnicity I know, is to observe to what group people are assigned by themselves and their neighbors.  But religion is a fairly useful indicator.  (Language and "racial" characteristics may be more certain indicators, but even they are not safe ...)

And sure, the Tamil I knew was still a Tamil.  But also a Moslem.  With an Arabic name.  My impression was that he had embraced a new ethnicity, and was welcomed in it.  As for Muhammed Ali, I have no idea.

For this discussion though, it was not my idea to read ethnicity from an Arabic name.  Perhaps the example of Muhammed Ali could be sufficient to show that such readings are not reliable?

... or perhaps the very melting pot of the USA could be sufficient thereto?  From my outsider's perspective, India and USA are alike in that: Most people have a number of options, ethnicity-wise.  In Norway, the only ones with an option to switch, seem to be the (relatively few) Sami, Finns, Jews, and Travelers – and their only option seems to be embracing the Norse ethnicity. :-P

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #431 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:02 »

'sOK.  I've been called "culturally Jewish".    :psyduck:

Of course, that's considered both an ethnicity and  a religion!  
Alas, being culturally bankrupt, I'm but an Oyster.

More seriously, though, with a few exceptions, ethnicity and religion only go hand in hand, so far as I know, on the very small scale (The Sioux, to give an example. Even Judaism, the largest scale example of this I know of, only accounts for single percentages of populations, down to 1 or less, in most countries). For others, one is born in an ethnicity, but one (or one's parents, up to a certain point in one's life, at least) chooses one's religion these days. That being said, one can, as Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali, for those not in the know) did, alienate others of one's ethnicity by converting to certain religions*. That may be how Sidhekin's Tamil friend felt.

*Some may argue that Ali joined a new ethnicity (specifically Nation of Islam, or, more broadly, Black Muslims) by converting, but I'm not sure you can call it that. Something for cultural anthropologists and/or sociologists to quibble about, I suppose.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #432 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:05 »

Anyway, we can't reliably infer Amir's heritage from his name.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #433 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:17 »

True. For all we know, he chose it from a cereal boxtop.

No, I don't know what cereal might have 'Amir' on its packaging. I'm the ideas guy; research is your job.

Edit: choose/chose aurrggghhh!
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2011, 01:46 by raoullefere »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #434 on: 12 Nov 2011, 19:50 »

[frantically searches through the cupboards]

Amir loops?  Sugar frosted amirs?  Amir bran?  Cap'n Amir?  Hey, when did the quaker oats guy turn so dark? 

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #435 on: 12 Nov 2011, 21:21 »

*wonders if there will be a Jess Fink homage in the near future*

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #436 on: 13 Nov 2011, 00:50 »

Hoo boy, I can see Monday now:

On returning with Secret Wine, the girls do the following:

Faye: Freaks out, begs Marten to not return to California (possibly punches Padma)
Hanners: Demands to know if Marten and Padma practice good oral hygiene so that they don't get sick from sharing saliva and tongue
Tai: Gets bummed out that another potential one got away and drinks herself silly (and wakes up with her pants duct-taped to the ceiling and Pintsize in the dishwasher)
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #437 on: 13 Nov 2011, 03:48 »

Pintsize is already in the freezer as a preventative measure.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
« Reply #438 on: 13 Nov 2011, 03:49 »

... or perhaps the very melting pot of the USA could be sufficient thereto?  From my outsider's perspective, India and USA are alike in that: Most people have a number of options, ethnicity-wise.  In Norway, the only ones with an option to switch, seem to be the (relatively few) Sami, Finns, Jews, and Travelers – and their only option seems to be embracing the Norse ethnicity. :-P

Well, my grandfather's mother was from a norwegian family of ship owners but they weren't originally from Norway, having fled from Austria in the 17th century due to being protestants. Now my grandmother was also born in Austria but her ancestor were probably Tyrolea but she lived in eastern Prussia with my Grandad among whose relatives were also Poles. What´s that make me ethnically? Austrionorwegianpolishitalian O.o... I´ve lived in the Rhineland for all my life and I stopped considering myself anything much else.  :-)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #439 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:18 »

IS he? We didn't see them do that, I can see Monday's comic being Pintsize jumping out and going "YEAH GET SOME OF THAT BOI!!!!!" and totally ruining Marten's groove.

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2011, 07:26 by themacnut »
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #440 on: 13 Nov 2011, 08:24 »

You you remember everything that happens when you're drunk, especially after drinking something with a name like 'Secret Wine'? :P 
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #441 on: 13 Nov 2011, 08:36 »

Well, my grandfather's mother was from a norwegian family of ship owners but they weren't originally from Norway, having fled from Austria in the 17th century due to being protestants. Now my grandmother was also born in Austria but her ancestor were probably Tyrolea but she lived in eastern Prussia with my Grandad among whose relatives were also Poles. What´s that make me ethnically? Austrionorwegianpolishitalian O.o... I´ve lived in the Rhineland for all my life and I stopped considering myself anything much else.  :-)
Austrionorwegianpolishitalian is just your ancestry.  Your ethnicity seems to be "Rhinelander", if I read you right.

Oh, I have something of a mixed ancestry myself.  Norse (obviously), Gaelic (as hinted by my username), Sami, Italian, and probably more than my share of Neanderthal.  But ethnicity is more about group identity, as percieved by the group members and their neighbors.  No way anyone would consider me anything but Norse.

Paranoid

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #442 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:24 »

Holy gelflings, Jeph's drawing tonight's comic already!  I'm not sure when Jeph plans on putting it up, but we may need a new WCDT thread soon if he decided to put it up right away. :psyduck:
"It's not safe there."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #443 on: 13 Nov 2011, 12:41 »

Consider it done!  It's been a while since I made one.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #444 on: 13 Nov 2011, 15:30 »

I think Jeph doesn't generally put the comic up until midnight (his time) even if he's drawn it appreciably earlier, though he has done when there's been some reason he couldn't to do it then.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #445 on: 13 Nov 2011, 17:39 »

So - what was the Moment of the Week?

MARTY. DANCEY. NOW.    - 1 (0.9%)
I'll have one of whatever he was...    - 0 (0%)
SAVE YOURSELF!    - 0 (0%)
Make it two.    - 2 (1.8%)
That's it, lil' bird. Spread your wings and fly!    - 2 (1.8%)
...Straight into a jet engine.    - 2 (1.8%)
Dual Conversations!    - 1 (0.9%)
Magnets or double-sided tape?    - 3 (2.7%)
"I always just REACT to things, you know?"    - 1 (0.9%)
The "does this dress make me look fat" thing    - 2 (1.8%)
DJ Tai Fighter does good!    - 0 (0%)
Secret Wine!    - 1 (0.9%)
Keep you up all night with his mischief.    - 2 (1.8%)
Hanners Muzzles Faye!    - 10 (9%)
YELLING!    - 13 (11.7%)
Band Talk.    - 0 (0%)
Oh, who are we kidding? TEH KISSES!!!!!!!!!11!!!    - 71 (64%)

Total Voters: 111
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #446 on: 13 Nov 2011, 18:25 »

Jeph's Twitter feed says the comic is done but he's not putting it up yet.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up