THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Gang's (Almost) All Here! Who's next?

Wil and Penelope.
- 4 (6.3%)
Pizza Girl!
- 11 (17.5%)
Dora and Tai.
- 13 (20.6%)
Dora and Tai bring along Raven (as a chaperone).
- 14 (22.2%)
Sven crashes the party.
- 2 (3.2%)
Gabby's older brother... DALE.
- 12 (19%)
Cosette's roommate Luna.
- 1 (1.6%)
Emily's AnthroPC.
- 0 (0%)
Some yet-unknown character.
- 2 (3.2%)
Space Station makes a holo-visit!
- 2 (3.2%)
Enough partygoers! GIT 'ER ON!
- 2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2296-2300 (15-19 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 118763 times)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Does anyone see what is animated?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

It's a flashing version of the same very faint outline that you can just make out in the last frame of the jpg that replaced the gif.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

There's actually an animation? I just assumed it was a joke since the image is a jpeg rather than a gif, and that format doesn't (so far as I know) allow frame animations.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Please read the rest of the thread.  The comic was an animated gif originally, and there's a link to the original on the previous page of this thread. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheoGB

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.ishotthedeputy.com

Of course it would be a HannerMom project. It's a stealth blimp.

I'm not exactly sure, but I'd assume the little "dip" on the left of the bottom panel is a tailfin/stabilizer, and the little bulge right above Hannelore is the gondola. This being a ECT vehicle, it of course has an AI driving.

And just recall the "Vanish" from Die Another Day. Micro-lenses weaved into a blimp covering could theoretically hide itself by using cameras and tiny LCD's to show the other side of the blimp.

Oh GOD! Let's not recall ANYTHING of that movie, if possible. I mean, you thought the series hit a low note with Moonraker and then they made Die Another Day! :D

There is some work towards this sort of cloaking system but it's a way off yet. Not sure why people are questioning the science here when fully sentient AIs are far, far less likely than all the Roswell Area 51 type stealth plane stuff being real (which is what Jeph's playing off, I reckon).

Carl-E

• Awakened

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

But now consider parallax, i.e. the requirement to present a different image for each angle of view.  Suddenly the difficulties go up a lot.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Maybe I'm stupid, but I just noticed that the character's hair is done in 3D with with flat 2d outline. And once I've noticed it, it was difficult to ignore.

Nope, the character's hair aren't done in 3D - it's a custom Photoshop brush Jeph uses that just makes it look that way, using shades and tints of the base hair color. If you can ever catch the livestreams of the comic, you can see it in action  :-)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Hm. Faye's swimming outfit I presume?
Also, most adorkable Emily yet?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Y

• Curry sauce

considering that they have hologram technology, they might be able to use that to make it appear invisible, letting through sunlight to prevent shadows might be more tricky.

I like yellow bell peppers, and then the red ones. Don't really like green ones.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Self-confident, extrovert, talkative, adorkable hermit ...

Emily is beyond quirky.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #2298...

1. Wow, having Faye's scar so pronounced with her swimsuit top.  Though I was a bit hoping for something a bit more skin-showing overall :evil: .  Perhaps when we get to Marigold's borrowed swimsuit.  (Or for a real twist, Hannelore in a bikini.)

2. Yay, Steve & Cosette.  Unfortunately, it sounds like no Wil & Penelope, or Raven, to be coming (I suppose the latter two would be needed to be running Coffee of Doom).  It also sounds like no others to be coming, but we will see.

3. Art-wise, Emily looks very good for panel #3.  I think it is the combination of her facial expression and hair-style.

4. I also find the color scheme between the three (Faye's red, Marten's blue, & Emily's purple/lavender?) eye-catching too.  Perhaps that was meant to foreshadow the punchline?

5. [Marten]: "Oh lord, we've adopted another one."  The punchline works so well with it between Marten & Faye.  It is a testament of how far QC has come from a trio of young indies & an AnthroPC, to a Simpsons-level cast (Hank Azaria to voice Marten, if not most of the male QC-cast).  It also works with how Marten's shoulders are slumped in resignation, while Faye has a "yep, another one" stance with crossed-arms.

6. Bell peppers are great to work with for cooking.  Besides being nutritious, they add great color to the visible palatte.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 03:17 by pendrake »

TheoGB

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.ishotthedeputy.com

It's not as far off as you think. 

I was thinking of that when I said it was 'way off'. Have you seen the rig involved in doing that? It's also one-sided, etc. It *is* incredibly cool, though. :)

westrim

It's official: until they become a main character, no one has a previous existence before appearing in the comic. When they become sufficiently important, God retcons reality to give them one.

ALTtheory 1: Marten is Haruhi and Pintsize is Kyon.

ALTtheory 2: Faye is Haruhi and Marten is Kyon.

ALTtheory 3: Hannelore is Haruhi and Marten is Kyon.

ALTtheory 4: Pintsize is Haruhi and Marten is Kyon.

ALTtheory 5: Some guy is creating these people and making what's needed when needed. There is no world outside what the characters inhabit, just endless white.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It's not as far off as you think. 

I was thinking of that when I said it was 'way off'. Have you seen the rig involved in doing that? It's also one-sided, etc. It *is* incredibly cool, though. :)
If you want perfect cloaking you're talking meta-materials with negative indices of refraction. Unfortunately to date we've only made them such that they refract radio waves and only on one plane; full 3D at optical wavelengths is currently beyond us, but monoplanar radar invisibility is in the lab right now.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Of course we could just roll with the idea of the "true stealth" Thunderhawk for the purposes of the gag, but no, we have to figure out how it could work in reality....

If Marten's in charge of feeding, does that mean tha Faye's in chage of cleaning out the littlerbox and who's going to get her neutered? 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Emily looks gorgeous in this strip.  Particularly panel 3.

And gotta say.  Faye looks bangin (heheheh, bad pun) in that dark red suit.

Love panel 4.  Emily is just too cute.  I remember going at green peppers at a sleep over at my friends.  I think we ate 2 whole each.

And just a thought as the height difference looks so pronounced this strip.  If Emily ever tries to snare Marty and pull her farther into her strange world for romantic purposes, I hope Marty doesn't have an inferiority complex about being shorter.  Looks like he's about 5'11, while Emily is at least 6'1.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I can't imagine just biting into a pepper but I don't like them uncooked any way.

Also, any time Faye is wearing a revealing top my instinct it to check for the scar.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

"Oh lord, we've adopted another one."
Moment of the week right there. I love self-reflecting punchlines.

Also Emily wouldn't work as a pet in America. What with the whole "camp" deal during the cold war (or was that still during WW2?). It would be of sour taste, even for a webcomic. °O
edit: Wait wait wait... am I presuming something here? I think I got lost in my own thoughts here.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 06:48 by Soulsynger »
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Martok

• Not quite a lurker

"Oh lord, we've adopted another one."

Ha!  That's my favorite line in a QC strip in a long time.  Love the self-referential lamp-shading. 

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." --Pascal

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

5. [Marten]: "Oh lord, we've adopted another one."  The punchline works so well with it between Marten & Faye.  It is a testament of how far QC has come from a trio of young indies & an AnthroPC, to a Simpsons-level cast (Hank Azaria to voice Marten, if not most of the male QC-cast). 

Oh GOD... YEARDLEY SMITH VOICING HANNELORE. It TOTALLY works!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

I just wish to say that green pepper dipped in toffee sauce is godly.

Also

Still no hello for Gabby  :cry:

They probably just called hello to her when they first came out onto the deck. The comic would be very boring if it was nothing but people saying hello to each other...

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Hello!

:-)

___

I got a bit sad with this comic tbh. Well, Emily isn't alone anymore so yey for her!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I can't see Emily having a relationship actually. Not that she is incapable of one, like Hanners, but just that she isn't particularly interested. I see a lot of myself in her, and although I'd like to get married at some point I don't want to date. And I can't see Emily marrying Marten!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd like to get married at some point I don't want to date.
That's probably not a good idea.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

It is, however, common in some cultures; we call it "an arranged marriage", and such marriages are reputed to work no worse overall than those contracted under our system.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I'm pretty sure that's mostly because we don't teach our kids what is required to make a marriage work where cultures that regularly arrange marriages explicitly do.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Emily is the bastard child of Chairman Kaga from Kitchen Stadium (ICJ, not the abysmal horrible ICA). Confirmed.

lanilanilani

• Not quite a lurker

ICA isn't bad; it has AB, after all! How could any show be anything but amazing with AB?

Wintercode

• Not quite a lurker

[quoteNope, the character's hair aren't done in 3D - it's a custom Photoshop brush Jeph uses that just makes it look that way, using shades and tints of the base hair color. If you can ever catch the livestreams of the comic, you can see it in action ][/quote]

Oh, thank you, I didn't know that. I'm still fairly new to QC, I only started reading little over a month ago, so I guess I haven't been around to notice/know this. If I may ask, is there any schedule to when Jeph streams? I know he writes/draws comic just about every day but I don't think he streams every time. It would be really interesting to see QC being created. I presume he draws the entire comic in front of the camera?

As for today's strip, that's quite a revealing top Fay's got going on, other than those bright yellow bloomers and one time she was in panties (presumably, at least while talking to Dora) this has to be among the more revealing outfits. I guess that means she has overcome the emotional distress first with Sven, now with Angus has dealt with her issues.

It seems that not every character will get strip (or two) of arrival, which is good if we want to get this party started (literally) before winter, not that there is anything wrong with gag strips. Though, from today's comic, it seems that Steve is coming with Cosette (in more ways than one) and that Tai is driving Claire. That still leaves Dora as a question mark. She does have a car so she isn't dependant but still.

QC has grown quite a bit since it's beginnings, with today's enormous cast of character it would be nigh impossible to place them all at the same location in any arc. But, I am still hoping that, maybe for comic's tenth anniversary next year, we will get a massive wallpaper with every named character in the strip that has appeared since beginning. I think that would be epic and a nice way to bring everyone together.

And, finally, I found a picture which I think would perfectly suit Hanner's sensibilities. All credit goes to "compactpussycat" on reddit, whether or not is this his/hers picture or a repost I don't know or care.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I got a bit sad with this comic tbh. Well, Emily isn't alone anymore so yey for her!
Yeah, made me think of Luna Lovegood, in a way.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Luna at least made sense though….

pendrake

• Curry sauce

7. Something that also has occurred to me...  Assuming no others are coming, this makes:

Three guys...

1- Angus
 2- Marten
 3- Steve

to Ten girls...

1- Claire
 2- Cosette
 3- Dora
 4- Emily
 5- Faye

6- Gabrielle
 7- Hannelore
 8- Marigold
 9- Momo
10- Tai

Even if Four of the girls (Cosette, Dora, Faye, Tai) are in relationships, and One girl is a robot (Momo), that is a damn good swimsuit ratio (for the guys, at least... O0 ). 

8. I expect Steve (or perhaps Angus) to make a comment towards this.   ...and get Gibbs-slapped accordingly :wink: .
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 17:49 by pendrake »

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Also Emily wouldn't work as a pet in America. What with the whole "camp" deal during the cold war (or was that still during WW2?).

Nope, it was WWII. The US wasn't at war with the Japanese during the Cold War.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Luna at least made sense though….

...sometimes.

It is, however, common in some cultures; we call it "an arranged marriage", and such marriages are reputed to work no worse overall than those contracted under our system.

That depends on your definition of "work." The cultures that do arranged marriages put tremendous pressure on its people for marriages to work, so a couple is more likely to say it's going fine no matter how they actually feel. Not to mention that if the women complain, they often become ostracized, so there's that to consider.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What I mean by "I don't want to date" is that I no longer would go on dates with someone if I didn't think we were likely to be compatible long term. Currently, no one I might go on a date with would be someone I'd be compatible with long term, because I am about to graduate and move hundreds of miles into an uncertain future. Everyone I meet is either in the same situation, or more usually into a certain future of a job in London, or staying here for a few years. I'm not really interested in having that complication during my final year.

I also am becoming strongly drawn by the concept of what the evangelical Christian churches call "courtship" - getting to know each other entirely as platonic friends and usually not one-on-one at first, and then being in a relationship which is fairly likely to lead to engagement and ultimately marriage. It's a different approach which I'd be happy to discuss but perhaps not in this thread. Anyway, that's what I meant. I won't just be marrying someone I meet the week before, and not bothering to get to know them.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm still fairly new to QC, I only started reading little over a month ago, so I guess I haven't been around to notice/know this. If I may ask, is there any schedule to when Jeph streams? I know he writes/draws comic just about every day but I don't think he streams every time. It would be really interesting to see QC being created. I presume he draws the entire comic in front of the camera?

Welcome, fairly new person!

Jeph's drawing schedule varies by several hours and it's unpredictable whether he'll stream it. Your best bet is to watch his Twitter feed, and be in a time zone/sleep schedule where you can watch someone thing in the wee hours of Jeph's time zone.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I had been getting an emailed heads-up when he fires up the feed, although I haven't seen it for a few days.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

ICA isn't bad; it has AB, after all! How could any show be anything but amazing with AB?

Chopped is better. ICA just pretty much took a giant dump on ICJ and stripped it clean with disinfectant.

No exotic out there ingredients is the biggie. And the chairman is a wooden lifeless insipid moron.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

If I may ask, is there any schedule to when Jeph streams?

In mainland Europe (where I suspect you are) you are best checking Jeph's Twitter from about 7:30am.  The actual timing varies with his mental and sleep state (currently affected by his giving up smoking cold turkey last week).

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I'd thought the scar was just on the edge of the breast itself before, not halfway to the nipple like it is here... seems funny for her to have been cut to the rib from there.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Carl-E

• Awakened

Funny things happen in a car crash. 

I was picking glass out of my forehead for two months after one...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Why wouldn't Emily have any friends? She doesn't withdraw from human contact (like Marigold) or use hedonism as a substitute (like Tai). She's pleasant and she's quirky, a combination many people enjoy.

What should her nickname be? "Smoothie" is too obvious.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Isn't it obvious? MC (Banana) Hammer.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Y

• Curry sauce

I'd thought the scar was just on the edge of the breast itself before, not halfway to the nipple like it is here... seems funny for her to have been cut to the rib from there.

I've been wondering are the small stripes on the scar the stitches? Don't they remove them after a while?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe she liked how they looked and got them tattooed on.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lanilanilani

• Not quite a lurker

It wouldn't be out of the question for the dots, the holes where the stitches entered, to scar. Depending on the skin type. My C-section scar has about half the staple holes visible as scar tissue, but they're slowly fading away with time, as I'm told the scar itself may as well. The lines, perhaps, are not necessarily realistic, but like I said, the other stuff can scar.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Judging from previous depictions of Faye's scar, I'm pretty sure those are just dots, and not lines across - it simply looks like lines due to the size of the image.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That depends on your definition of "work." The cultures that do arranged marriages put tremendous pressure on its people for marriages to work, so a couple is more likely to say it's going fine no matter how they actually feel. Not to mention that if the women complain, they often become ostracized, so there's that to consider.
Women who complain are ostracised in all cultures.

There is a very strong tendency to assume that marriage means the same thing, and "works" the same way in all cultures. This is not true. The assumption in IDUHG's posting is that how the couple feels is the most important factor. In many cultures, this is given a much lower priority than in the Western world. In Chinese culture, for example, family stability, continuity, prosperity, and the raising of children, have traditionally been a far higher priority than romantic love, or personal fulfilment, and to a large extent this remains true now.

As a member of an ethnic and cultural minority which has significantly different priorities in, and attitudes to, marriage from those generally held in Australia, I have observed that this is yet another area where we just can't win, and the narrow limits of cultural acceptance are demonstrated all too clearly. If you're a member of a minority group that exhibits what are generally regarded as "social pathologies", such as family breakdown, high levels of divorce and abandonment, children performing poorly at school and dropping out early etc. then the mainstream is thoroughly censorious, but if your group has lower incidences of these bad outcomes than average in your society, you can't expect to receive any credit. Instead, the goalposts will be shifted, and your courtships, marriages, and families will be condescendingly stigmatised as somehow really being miserable and bad, despite producing results that are generally regarded as positive when achieved by members of the majority population.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up