THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Gang's (Almost) All Here! Who's next?

Wil and Penelope.
- 4 (6.3%)
Pizza Girl!
- 11 (17.5%)
Dora and Tai.
- 13 (20.6%)
Dora and Tai bring along Raven (as a chaperone).
- 14 (22.2%)
Sven crashes the party.
- 2 (3.2%)
Gabby's older brother... DALE.
- 12 (19%)
Cosette's roommate Luna.
- 1 (1.6%)
Emily's AnthroPC.
- 0 (0%)
Some yet-unknown character.
- 2 (3.2%)
Space Station makes a holo-visit!
- 2 (3.2%)
Enough partygoers! GIT 'ER ON!
- 2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2296-2300 (15-19 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 118954 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It would be an act of charity not to mention spontaneous human combustion to Hannelore. She has enough anxieties already.

Truth. But her last coherent thought might be, "This would be a good way to clean."

Also, I find something ador(k)able about any girl or woman in a plain green tank suit. No, I couldn't explain it even if I wanted to. Green's not even my favorite color.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

My predictions have come true!  New Jersey is attacking!

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Also, I find something ador(k)able about any girl or woman in a plain green tank suit. No, I couldn't explain it even if I wanted to. Green's not even my favorite color.
And she has a bottom. Don't get to see that often. Enough.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Butts, butts, butts.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Emily scares me

Officially
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What would software written by Emily be like?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You know, we can all make fun of Emily for this, but I honestly didn't know the difference between tanning lotion and sunblock until I was a 18 or so. I have enough melanin that it was never an issue or necessity for me.
I...didn't know there was a difference until this comic.

Seriously.
I'm confused, because I've heard tons of people call sunblock "suntan lotion". Like, that's what my parents called it when I was growing up, and I go back and forth between the two, and nobody's not known what I meant.

My predictions have come true!  New Jersey is attacking!
We are? Nobody tells me nothin'.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hypster

• Plantmonster

I'm beginning to suspect that she's really not as clueless as she acts, and if she isn't, then she is quickly going to drop from a character I like to a character I despise, as I can't stand two-faced people.
I hope not. Raven's kinda-fake-clueless enough as it is.
...I suddenly really want Emily and Raven to meet. I think that'd be funny.

Y

• Curry sauce

I haven't heard about tanning lotion before, we only use sun cream of varying protection factors. I have heard about sunless tanning chemicals in movies, but I don't think that was this.

I wonder if we'll see Marigold in swimsuit at all, if it becomes suddenly evening after gaming.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I'm beginning to suspect that she's really not as clueless as she acts, and if she isn't, then she is quickly going to drop from a character I like to a character I despise, as I can't stand two-faced people.
I hope not. Raven's kinda-fake-clueless enough as it is.
...I suddenly really want Emily and Raven to meet. I think that'd be funny.

Raven's different, though - she's highly intelligent but flaky as hell, and I don't think I've ever seen her do anything malicious. It's starting to appear to me that Emily knowingly uses a space-cadet facade in order to get away with things that she otherwise wouldn't be able to, and in more than one occasion, things that are mean, inconsiderate, or rude.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into things. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not... gonna get 'I called it' out of the way.

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

At this point, I pretty much see Emily as Jeph deciding that he wanted a different Raven.

Teao

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I only actually saved it to my hard drive recently. Believe me, I have wanted to use that a LOT.
I'm just glad somebody recognized it. :P

(Now if I could just find a .gif of strikes two and three...)

google image search ftw :)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

For some of us (the easily burnt), you can't get a tan unless you use a pretty heavy sunscreen to slow the UV process.  So it's understandable to get the two mixed up, but real tanning lotion usually has an SPF of about 2, and has oils (usually coconut) that somehow make you browner faster.  My wife likes those. 

Me, I hit the beach in a wide brimmed hat, t-shirt and trunks.  When sitting on the beach I also drape a towel over the legs and feet - nothing more miserable than putting shoes onto sunburnt feet. 

After losing the hair, I rarely leave the house without a hat - a sunburnt scalp's no fun either! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Maybe it's just a matter of attitude. 

"I'm round, and proud" ?

Down these narrow streets a man must walk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6TWGRcs6E
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If Emily is covertly mean, it would be a first in Jeph's characterizations. He's done openly hostile (Hannermom, Vespavenger), and friendly but violent (Faye the kitty cat who only knows how to scratch), but never sneaky.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

It *would* explain the lack of friends though.

Or should she could just be horrendously lacking in socialization.

*edit: I accidentally forgot some words.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm betting in lack of socialization.

Imagine a hybrid Hannelore/Raven combo.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

[SamuelLJacksonVoice] "Oh hell no!" [/SamuelLJacksonVoice]
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Gangbangs in near-boiling water?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Barmymoo

• Mentat

(As an aside, dude, I'm not wearing tight jeans, not for fashion reasons but I don't like constricting down there.)

It's unhealthy not to.  There's a reason for Europe's prosperity - some form of habitual abuse of the male genitalia is seen in every successful culture in history.

I am so confused by this quote. Unhealthy not to?

I call sunblock suntan lotion - but it definitely is sunblock that I use. I've never seen tanning lotion actually used, but I would also assume you don't get tanned that fast. I suspect it is just meant to be funny, rather than 100% true to life, like so much of this arc!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'd been thinking of it as a spray-on tan...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

In the 1940s, my mother used to apply a tanning liquid to her legs. I remember my fascination with the bottle: The pigment, or whatever it was, didn't remain in suspension. I'd shake it just to watch it swirl around. And now that I think of it, it may have been something a woman might use in the absence of nylon stockings; I don't recall her applying it to her face. Of course she had makeup for that.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Isn't it old news about suntan lotion being flammable? I mean, there's a really old song that goes "Oh tannin' bomb, oh tannin' bomb...".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Good job someone left those pun foul GIFs up there, that oughtta discourage … oh.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'd like to point out that spray-on tan would have left Hanners looking orange tan in panel 3, as soon as it was applied.  Actual tanning lotion (that promotes a tan, mainly oils of sorts) will accellerate a tan. 

Also, we have no wy of knowing how long Emily sat there watching Mari play... it could have been a couple of hours...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

If Emily is covertly mean, it would be a first in Jeph's characterizations. He's done openly hostile (Hannermom, Vespavenger), and friendly but violent (Faye the kitty cat who only knows how to scratch), but never sneaky.
I'm very much in two (or three) minds about Emily's sunscreen trick/goof. A lot depends on how you read her expression in the 4th panel of 2300, and I'm probably factoring in cultural factors that Jeph did not intend.

Someone earlier in this thread referred to Japanese tanning, and linked to the Wikipedia article on ganguro fashion. The whole point of ganguro, however, is that it was/is a statement of rebellion. East Asian cultures generally deprecate tanning quite strongly, especially for women, and in China it is very common to see women of all ages covering up and carrying parasols. The use of (sometimes quite dangerous) skin-lightening treatments is also widespread. So depending on how Westernised Emily (who plainly does not tan) is, this could definitely be a dirty trick. On the other hand, why pick on Hannelore, whom she has only met serving smoothies at CoD?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe she just grabbed the wrong bottle while shopping and didn't realize it. Or someone left it there and she assumed it was the same thing. We'll find out soon, probably.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I know it's boring, but I think that this is exactly as it appears at face value - she just had no idea there was any difference between sunscreen and tanning lotion. I might not have known myself had I not grown up in an era where all kinds of concoctions containing things like coconut oil were common.

We'll find out soon, probably.

I don't think we will, actually. Just like the mask/hatchet joke - I don't think there will be any further explanation.

(I'm kind of surprised that people are still looking for one, because I had no idea it needed one. It's a joke, Joyce.)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If nothing else happens, then the explanation is probably that it was a mistake and not that big a deal.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

If nothing else happens, then the explanation is probably that it was a mistake and not that big a deal.

... Except for the whole "Tannelore" thing. Sort of freakin' me out, TBH...
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I was going to suggest Walkyverse myself, actually.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up