THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 17:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 560065 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Glad everyone's (going to be) OK. 

You can always explain the bed in the office with, "Stephen's a snorer, and sometimes I just need some rest..."

:-D

The timer's a good idea, too.  When it goes off, you'll ask yourself, "What the heck was that for... OH!" 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I used to have a rule that I couldn't leave the kitchen when I was cooking, unless I got Steve to come stand guard.  I should probably re-institute it. A timer isn't a bad idea, but it would need to stay in the kitchen, and be loud enough for me to hear in the living room.  Still won't help if I actually leave the house :s

We don't actually have renter's insurance, because we are idiots, so while the appliances and walls and what not will get fixed, we are going to have clean or replace all our stuff ourselves. I started sorting and cleaning some stuff in the kitchen and have realized what a pain this is going to be. I am supposed to get a tooth pulled tomorrow, but I'm going to have to move that appt I think.  I can't imagine dealing with this while high/in pain.

PS Gonna need some new cookbooks :(  :

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2015, 21:56 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Carl-E

• Awakened

Scorched covers, but the pages seem intact - still useable, and quite the conversation pieces! 

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else

I agree, they look mostly okay, and this way you can now say silly jokes like, "and this is why we follow the recipes".
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Is the one on the left the Phaidon cookbook with the spoon on the cover?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I used to have a rule that I couldn't leave the kitchen when I was cooking, unless I got Steve to come stand guard.
I'm so sorry this happened, but I'm glad you, Steve and the cats are all unhurt. I don't generally leave the kitchen while cooking, except perhaps if I have a casserole in the oven.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Sorry for all your damage, but glad no one's hurt.  I just hope it doesn't prove as expensive as you might at first fear.

I've left things on the stove, and (in the past) wrecked pans that way; but I've never cooked with more than a tablespoon of oil, usually much less, though even that can generate much smoke and a few flames.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Glad to know that you are okay, and maybe if Grognard's suggestion of a kitchen timer doesn't work, use an alarm/timer on your phone in the future.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Papersatan

Scorched covers, but the pages seem intact - still useable, and quite the conversation pieces!

The one on the right had melted shut ( the pages had plastic tabs) and the one on the left had several, for lack of a better word, furrows of ash into the pages. The one on the left was "The Joy of Cooking"

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Where's the fire alarm sited in your house?

Please tell me you have a fire alarm.

Papersatan

Three of them, one in each bedroom and one in the hall (between the kitchen and the rest of the apt). Steve noticed the fire when they started going off.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

Oof. I'm so sorry, Kat. I'm glad you're all ok, though!

I used to have a rule that I couldn't leave the kitchen when I was cooking, unless I got Steve to come stand guard.

I think this is definitely a good thing to bring back. The phone timer is a good idea too. I have one on my phone called "wonder timer" and it's great! There are pre-set timers that run from 2 minutes to an hour and thirty minutes and it's incredibly quick and easy to use. You can set a custom titled one as well but the pre-set ones have always been good enough so I've never felt the need for it.

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

The Seldom Killer

I'm just a bit surprised that the damage escalated that quickly. Still, that is one of the things about oil, it can get pretty volatile before it ignites. Definitely support using a timer. Even if you do leave the house, at least Stephen gets a bit of warning. Perhaps also bring something into the kitchen that is going to prove an appropriate distraction while you're waiting.

Tomethius

• Not quite a lurker

At least you know how to cook. At my college, morons seem to always light things on fire. Every weekend. By the way, just started doing this a couple days ago. Hi

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Speaking of being a moron in college, I burned microwavable mac and cheese and the fire department came.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

My freshman class in college set the fire alarm off by burning popcorn in the microwave so many times that the college instituted mandatory "how to use a microwave" classes. At our graduation, George W. Bush made fun of us for that in his commencement speech.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Which is strange, because I feel like if any politician needed that class it'd be him.

Kind of like Biden needs to take that, "what is considered inappropriate touching" class.

Papersatan

So in the light of a new day, things are worse than we hoped.

A reconstruction contractor came by with the landlord, and we will need us and all our stuff out of the house for at least a month.  This poses something of a challenge without renter's insurance to cover us.  We are looking at subletting somewhere, which would be more convenient if our landlord will let us out of this lease.  I feel weird asking her to do that though, since we are the ones that caused the damage. This lease goes til Aug, so there is a bit of overlap and we cant really afford to pay rent in two places.  Also, everything we own is smoke damaged. <sigh> such a mess.

Go right now and buy renter's insurance if you don't have it.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

My freshman class in college set the fire alarm off by burning popcorn in the microwave so many times that the college instituted mandatory "how to use a microwave" classes. At our graduation, George W. Bush made fun of us for that in his commencement speech.

The worst thing that ever set off the fire alarm in our building

(click to show/hide)

I can laugh about it now, but the stench was unbelievable, and the hallway passing by the room that had the microwave (which was the only way out of that wing, unless you left out a ground-floor window) was also covered in vomit because of the smell.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

(click to show/hide)
I can think of no sane reason to do that. Popcorn? Sure, it's a food-like substance. But... poop?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

(click to show/hide)
I can think of no sane reason to do that. Popcorn? Sure, it's a food-like substance. But... poop?

College things. Had someone intentionally flood the bathrooms when I lived in the dorms. Clogged all the drains, turned on all the sinks and showers and overflowed the toilets (somehow) figuring out to keep them flushing all night. It was a Saturday so it must have started around 2-3am and everyone was too drunk and passed out to do anything about it.

Sometimes people are just stupid and/or dicks.

The Seldom Killer

Usually either sociopathy or, and the more likely IMO, a cry for attention.

lepetitfromage

• addicted to the shindig

That.....really sounds insane. I want to know why that idea even occurred to them and when it did, how did they think about it and go "Yeah, that sounds like something that needs to be done"?  :?
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Some people think pranks are something you need to do in college. 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

There's nothing wrong with a harmless prank. But short-sheeting someone's bed is a long way from setting the fire alarm off every night for three months straight (the dorm I lived in my Freshman year was notorious for that), or microwaving a bag of poop 'til it bursts into flames.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Yeah we just... filled one of my roommate's rooms with balloons (I mean I didn't, because it made me sad for the planet,but that's besides the point).

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

My first roommate used to prank me once in a while. Typical stuff. Short-sheeting the bed, hiding stuff, jumping out from behind things to try to scare me. I'm not usually one to initiate stuff like that, but I'm downright diabolical when I return the "favor". Needless to say, he didn't stick with it for long.  :evil:

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I was never a prank kind of guy, but we did once set up one of my roommates with a Christian Mingle account (I should mention that I do not like this roommate, I don't know why he lived with us and I beat him up once). Anyway, we'd rag on him because he was that stereotypical "nice guy" who viewed women more as objects and was subsequently a virgin. So he got pretty concerned when Christian Mingle started e-mailing him things, "do they somehow know I'm a virgin? What the Fuck?".

*I understand Christian relationships aren't just for people who want to wait till marriage for sex, this is just what we did, I never said it made sense.

Carl-E

• Awakened

There's nothing wrong with a harmless prank. But short-sheeting someone's bed is a long way from setting the fire alarm off every night for three months straight (the dorm I lived in my Freshman year was notorious for that), or microwaving a bag of poop 'til it bursts into flames.

You'll notice the word "harmless" was missing from my post.  Not all pranks are.  Many (even the allegedly harmless ones) are downright mean, and most do some level of damage, even if it's "only" psychological. 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

One guy I know from college once bought a small Christmas tree, built a raft, and floated it on the lake as a prank... He may have had a bit too much time on his hands.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I don't really see Cesium's example as a prank, that's just kinda neat (unless the tree was fitted with a dildo or something). He does seem like a bored person though.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

One school -- I think it was MIT -- used to have some really good ones, like the time they assembled a VW Beetle on the dome of one of their buildings.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

MIT used to be really good about hacking the scoreboard of the Rose Bowl.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male

In college, we had the roommate that everyone hated.  He had been reassigned from at least 3 other dorm rooms.
-------------------------------------------------
remember 'ice bucket challenge'?
that, combined with the victim being in the shower and totally unsuspecting.
followed by a bucket of flour when they came screaming out of the shower.
-------------------------
+ water balloons from the 6th floor.
---------------------------
+ red dye in his laundry
-----------------------------
+ condom balloons, filled with liquid hand soap
------------------------------
+ let the air out of all four of his tires.
-----------------------------------
+ the final act to get rid of him was to De-Gauss his beloved computer.  while it was running.

we hated that guy.  he was just an overall shitty person.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

In college, we had the roommate that everyone hated.  He had been reassigned from at least 3 other dorm rooms.
-------------------------------------------------
remember 'ice bucket challenge'?
that, combined with the victim being in the shower and totally unsuspecting.
followed by a bucket of flour when they came screaming out of the shower.
-------------------------
+ water balloons from the 6th floor.
---------------------------
+ red dye in his laundry
-----------------------------
+ condom balloons, filled with liquid hand soap
------------------------------
+ let the air out of all four of his tires.
-----------------------------------
+ the final act to get rid of him was to De-Gauss his beloved computer.  while it was running.

we hated that guy.  he was just an overall shitty person.

Just to clarify, was he shitty before all that stuff or after? 'Cause I'm a nice guy, but I'd be a raging motherfucker if you did all that to me.

The Seldom Killer

I have to agree here. If he'd been reassigned from one dorm he'd probably not been in the best mindset, after three I suspect he may have developed a few issues. Alas I can't promise I wouldn't have done similar when I was young but I certainly wouldn't be proud about it now.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I'm not a prank kinda person, much more a of a beat motherfucker up kind of person. Maybe I'm just not creative.

MORE: In other new, despite my recent job offer (which certainly made me happy today) in about 10 hours I'm going to court. As some people here may know, my older brother died about a year ago. He was killed in a drunk driving accident and in 10 hours the person responsible is being sentenced. I am not particularly mad at this person, as I truly believe in forgiveness and his intent was not malicious (though I do think the law should permit me to hit him once), but I am still very confused as to how to feel with everything that's happened, especially regarding this good news I've received earlier. I guess I can only know once I get there. I don't think I'll be that emotional, but then again, I didn't think that when I first went to my brother's completed gravestone 6 months after his death.

I have already planned on getting really hammered tomorrow night, so maybe that answers how I feel.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 01:31 by explicit »

Carl-E

• Awakened

Condolences, explicit.  I missed the earlier post you mention. 

Careful with the getting hammered part, OK? 

Grognard

Just to clarify, was he shitty before all that stuff or after? 'Cause I'm a nice guy, but I'd be a raging motherfucker if you did all that to me.

IIRC,  he was a junior, and had been charged with simple assault at least once.  his idea of a 'joke' was to put his semen in our Senior's shampoo, urinate in our beds while we were gone, he took a shit in our coffee maker, and to top off things, he managed to "accidentally" grope the Senior's fiance'.

To this day, I don't know what his problem was; don't really care.  Guy was an asshole, really, really deserved to get the shit stomped out of him.
But he was related to the Dean of Students, and our dorm was named in honor of his family.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

IIRC,  he was a junior, and had been charged with simple assault at least once.  his idea of a 'joke' was to put his semen in our Senior's shampoo, urinate in our beds while we were gone, he took a shit in our coffee maker, and to top off things, he managed to "accidentally" grope the Senior's fiance'.

To this day, I don't know what his problem was; don't really care.  Guy was an asshole, really, really deserved to get the shit stomped out of him.
But he was related to the Dean of Students, and our dorm was named in honor of his family.

Oh. That's different. Guy sounds like a real prizewinner.

Grognard

you'll find one in almost every college campus.  unfortunately.

But the ice in the shower trick is fairly funny when used on anyone.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Dear gods, what an $explicitive.  And that groping deseerved a sexual assault charge.  And if anyone pissed in my bed, it had better be the disgruntled cat belonging to an SO.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Grognard

however, I do not recommend the water balloon from 60'+ height.  From there, it has the impact of a brick.
Will dent cars and crack windshields.

deflating tires can be fun as well: it just needs perfect timing.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

At least it's nicer than slashing them.  Since the statute of limitations has expired, I can confess to fucking with an urban assult vehicle who threatened to ram me for a parking space.  I didn't fuck with the tyres, but I did take my keys and spread them between my fingers Wolverine-style along one side.  On the way back to my car, his was still there, so my then-gf did the same to the other side, and we used pepper spray on the door handles and tossed coffee loaded with cream and honey onto the cloth seats through an open window.  People should learn not to threaten someone over a parking spot.

Lines

• Awakened

And especially not leaving their windows open after doing so.

Grog: I was about to say those were some awful pranks, but now I'm thinking he deserved all of those. He sounds like a disgusting example of a human being.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Papersatan

Not gonna lie, I don't understand any of these practices.  I don't get pranks. I know there are people who enjoy the friendly back and forth of pranking with someone they know, but I don't. 

I also think that revenge "pranks" are gross, even when the person 'deserves' it.  The few times I've done something out of spite or revenge, I've been deeply ashamed, even years later.

In blog news, my roommate is renting an apartment next week and we will move there for the month we need to be out of here, and then she will stay there when we move back here. It's good we found somewhere, but thing fire thing is still turning out to be hella expensive.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

At least it's nicer than slashing them.  Since the statute of limitations has expired, I can confess to fucking with an urban assult vehicle who threatened to ram me for a parking space.  I didn't fuck with the tyres, but I did take my keys and spread them between my fingers Wolverine-style along one side.  On the way back to my car, his was still there, so my then-gf did the same to the other side, and we used pepper spray on the door handles and tossed coffee loaded with cream and honey onto the cloth seats through an open window.  People should learn not to threaten someone over a parking spot.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

Today I went to the IJhallen flea market to get a new bag since my current one has a shoulder sling that came loose which I've fastened back into place twice already, but it just keeps unravelling and I'm worried that if I keep using it eventually it will break and most likely smash into the ground and break my laptop. So I picked up a rather nice, sturdy-looking Björn Borg shoulder bag there for €4, with enough compartments for a laptop plus accessories, which is astonishingly cheap, but then I compare it to the bag I have and I see the new one has no side compartments, less adjustable sling range, less cushioning, no handle to lift it by, and - okay these are incredibly minor - no reflectors and no hip band.

Really, the only thing that's ever bothered me about the bag I have is that it's front-heavy and won't stand upright on its own, everything else about it is great. And to be fair, the bag I just got is great as well, would probably go for €30 or so from the store, it's just not as good. So I realise that I should just drop it off at a tailor who can do a better job of fixing it up than my own half-assed attempts with a needle and thread, so they can make it good to use for a few years more. Kind of feel like an idiot for not thinking of that sooner, but I guess you don't realise how good the thing you have is until you look for something else.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened

My first course in the accounting program starts Monday, as does a Calc 2 course I'll be teaching. 

You probably won't see me much from here on out. 

Again. 

It's been fun! 

Lines

• Awakened

My first course in the accounting program starts Monday, as does a Calc 2 course I'll be teaching. 

You probably won't see me much from here on out. 

Again. 

It's been fun! 

Best of luck in both! We'll be happy to see you when you're able to make it back. :)

Edit: Inserted quote because of pagebreak.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98   Go Up