THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 543431 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

(Insert "Hope you derive a lot out of the course" joke here.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

Dear blog thread,

we've been really stressed out lately due to having sold our apartment and not having bought a new one. It's hit the ginger esp hard. So we decided to forget about all that stuff this weekend. Relaxed all day yesterday and I made the best elk bourguignon ever for dinner. Today we cashed in a gift certificate and spent the whole day at a spa. I have discovered this past year that I really like getting massages even from professionals and that it's not at all embarrassing and doesn't necessarily have to tickle. I was thoroughly scrubbed down with something amazing and then got a full body massage. I decided to keep my shorts on this time but think it's better with them off :o the ginger was covered in mud and wrapped in clingfilm, I had no idea they did stuff like that :o anyway it was amazing getting to escape this extremely dreary day and the biting cold. Luxurious as the treatment was, the best parts were the light-/sun-room and the sauna and the hot water pools. The worst part was leaving the place only to discover I'd left my wallet in the robe but it was easy to recover thank glod.

From the spa we went to the nicest hotel in town and had dinner at the hotel's restaurant, which is supposed to be the nicest restaurant in town. Dinner was not the meal I'd been looking forward to (seafood inspired by Portuguese cuisine instead of grilled and braised meat dishes inspired by Korean cuisine) but overall it was very good and now we're about to sleep in this wonderful bed that makes our current bed feel like a pile of driftwood and rocks. I got a slightly dirty look when we checked in, maybe because my wife wears her wedding ring on her ring finger while I wear mine on a chain, but this uber-discounted Sunday luxury deal was totally worth it :)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Hey, as long as your ring doesn't show the Dark Speech on its surface after it's been in a fire, you're good.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Aimless

It says "pacta sunt servanda" which is not far removed from the evil language of Mordor :o

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

*brandishes his Lesser Latinum*

"Contracts are to be kept."
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Latin read out loud sounds alarmingly like Simlish to me.

Aimless

*brandishes his Lesser Latinum*

"Contracts are to be kept."

Not bad! :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacta_sunt_servanda

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

On the inside of my wedding ring it says "Tungsten". I've not found a translation yet.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I have much faster intertubes! And for cheaper than they were before!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker

I have much faster intertubes! And for cheaper than they were before!

:clairedoge:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I have to try that.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

One month until my thesis defense. Should have scheduled it to be sooner...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Remember: The best Thesis Defense is a good Thesis Offense.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Lines

• Awakened

I really don't know where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

People confide in me with the strangest things. Like, not strange in the sense that it's weird or unconventional, more like...unasked for and kind of inappropriate? My boss told me something about one of my coworkers while I was trying to get some paperwork done and I was just so confused why she would tell me this thing when the person she was talking about specifically told my boss that they didn't want anyone to know. And this is not the first person who has done this in my life let alone workplace. People just tell me things. And I have no idea why. No. Idea.

TL;DR: I wish people would just stop telling me weird shit I'm not supposed to know, because frankly, I probably didn't want or need to know anyways.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Have you tried telling them as much?
I have had to make a habit to stop people and ask them "are you sure you have this person's consent to tell me this, or if not, is the problem important enough for you to override the lack of consent?". Because people also tell me stuff. Oh the stuff I could tell...
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I'm having toxic hangover fart syndrome again and I feel disgusted of myself.

Lines

• Awakened

Loki, if it's someone I'm really comfortable around, I ask them why they're telling me this and that I really don't want them to. But when it's someone, say, like a boss, I really don't know what to say because I'm too flabbergasted.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

That isn't work stuff though so they aren't the boss in that situation. I've had that in the past and had to tell a boss that I don't want to hear private information. It may make things a bit awkward so you may have to do a bit of tea duty to re-establish a good relationship. However don't let that power dynamic affect your principles outside of it's remit.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Not quite the same but I remember a coworker bitching about another one to me and even when I specifically said, "I don't want to hear you bad-mouthing any one." They continued on any way. :( That was someone on my level and it was still so hard to say that. It can be even harder to point out to a higher up that you think they're doing or saying something inappropriate for work.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else

According to my doctor I put on 12 pounds this year and that that's not good.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

According to my doctor I put on 12 pounds this year and that that's not good.

Gotta stop mowing down on the cheese sandwiches.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Lines

• Awakened

That isn't work stuff though so they aren't the boss in that situation.

It was work related, so yes she is. But it was still none of my business. If this person had told me themselves what was going on, that's fine, but they preferred it to be kept confidential and my boss didn't keep it that way. That's why I thought it was inappropriate. I would clarify what I mean, but I feel like I'm breaking the person's trust by spreading information I shouldn't have in the first place. (It's nothing major, but still. I like this person and respect them and I would have respected their wishes.)

Aimless

So it looks like we've bought an apartment: http://bostad.skandiamaklarna.se/till-salu/CMBoLgh/4CIQP9QRA8C6D8QL

This whole business has been a significant departure from our original plans in many ways, thanks to our lack of experience and due to our broker whose reputation I will dedicate much of my energy towards undermining over the next decade.

Instead of making a profit of at least $12K we're now looking at a mortgage of ca $35K. Instead of paying $400/mo we'll be paying $700/mo plus interest (which we admittedly should be able to negotiate down to ca 1.7-1.8%). Compared to our second best option, there are some small disadvantages: Instead of having just over 10 mins' easy walk to work, I'm looking at just over 15 trickier mins (minor difference, but it adds up and also has some practical consequences). No grocery-store within comfortable walking distance. Better-designed apartment, but smaller balcony and less nice bathroom. Instead of having an excellent sports' center 1 min away, we have á meh one 20 mins away.

However, the TCO is likely to be lower than it would have been for our second-best option, it's a slightly better location for my wife, we'll have an extra room that we don't "need" but that I think we'll be able to put to good use, and, honestly, I really like the apartment.

We got it for just over the asking price, which was also what we believed it to be worth today "objectively" (and significantly lower than what we'd have been ready to pay for it). I raised by a tiny amount and fortune favoured us for once because the other prospective buyers couldn't get back to them in time. However, I was given a valuable lesson in what it can mean to have a broker who's looking out for you as a seller. Instead of getting to move in on April 20th, which is the date they used to get us to the negotiating table, we'll be moving in near the end of May/beginning of June even though we have to move out of our current apartment by the 30th of this month. We'll get a place to stay until June, but even that works out to their advantage, because it's their place and they get to save quite a bit of money by not having to pay for it during our stay. This is a lot better than what our situation was upon selling our apartment the broker did a very good job of protecting her client's interests.

I may sound a bitter (and I am, about some things), but I'm very happy with the apartment, all things considered :) We're v. excited and we already have wonderful plans :o

We hope we won't need to hire a broker again for the next decade or so, but, if/when that time comes, we'll try to do better. Get a much better idea of who they are and what their agencies are like. Let them compete against each other and also use them to get a better idea of what I can/should expect. Remember my rights and my advantages. Not let myself get lured into a difficult and unfavorable position. Stick with a plan if it's good. And be ready and willing walk away from any "deal" that sucks.

Anyway, it's been an exciting end to a very nice albeit stressful workweek. I can't believe we're moving soon eep :o

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Are those photos of the unit you just bought? It looks nice.

Any grounds to file a complaint against the broker's licensing board, trade association, or whomever they're accountable to in your neck of the woods?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Three bedrooms? Wonderful plans??

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]   Go Up