THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 08:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's the afterparty! So what excitement will we find?

Innuendo about Marty and Claire all around!
- 52 (35.6%)
Faye and Angus have broken UP????
- 1 (0.7%)
Dora and TAI have broken UP?????? (Over that picture no less!)
- 1 (0.7%)
Hannelore is going off to live in Timbuktu for a year????!
- 1 (0.7%)
Marigold has a BOYFRIEND!!!!!
- 10 (6.8%)
Pintsize found Momo's old chassis!
- 10 (6.8%)
Penelope and Wil have eloped!
- 4 (2.7%)
Sven is still single!
- 5 (3.4%)
Nothing's changed. (C'mon, be realistic.)
- 24 (16.4%)
Corned Beef and Cabbage for everyone!
- 4 (2.7%)
Uh... Shamrock Shakes, maybe?
- 3 (2.1%)
What about Waffles and Space Ham?
- 5 (3.4%)
Mom woke up with some guy named "Pierre".
- 16 (11%)
Why did those two guys that rode the horse look like Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn?
- 10 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2406-2410 (18-22 March, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 156096 times)

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

That it is. I've actually used one before - they're really cool.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I love the expression on the girl on the left. xD

Sort of an ewwwww... how can humans think that way, just because they're male? Condescending. Faintly disgusted. Puzzled.

I know. I've never understood the whole macho thing either. I just don't get guys. At times it can make them rather sweet but in this case... ewwwww. It's not doing any harm, but... ewww.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I suspect Marten is just not in the mood to deal with apologetic / freaked out Claire at the moment and just wants some shut-eye before having to deal with it tomorrow.

At least Claire didn't headbutt him in the crotch.

Claire's general demeanour right now is that of someone who really enjoys cuddling. ;D

westrim

Sort of an ewwwww... how can humans think that way, just because they're male? Condescending. Faintly disgusted. Puzzled.

I know. I've never understood the whole macho thing either. I just don't get guys. At times it can make them rather sweet but in this case... ewwwww. It's not doing any harm, but... ewww.
Requesting specifics and a hold on the assumptions. What are "that way" and "the whole macho thing"? Considering the character, he likely has it because it's cute, not erotic (being a Japanese and Otaku thing, they can be either), though I mentioned the erotic version in my post. I can't think of any interpretation of macho that includes holding a pillow at a bar.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Am I the only one thinking that this might be the first time Claire have been this close to a boy? And that Marten is handling this very well so far. They look so cute.
D'aaawwww
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I seem to detect a faint trace of worry in Marten's second to last expression.

On the other hand, jumping into cold water is usually a good way to lose any long kept inhibitions. Just roll with it.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Translation:

"WHY THE FUCK IS THE PILLOW MOVING???"

This^

Three pages and its's 0722  18 Mar 13 EST - how many pages by Friday?
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

And that Marten is handling this very well so far.

You could say he's not "handling" it, in the sense that he has given it any thought - he's doing what comes naturally, and it's the right thing, which is even better.

how many pages by Friday?

I find it hard to predict what will bring the posters out, but super-cute is one of the most reliable indicators.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

You could say he's not "handling" it, in the sense that he has given it any thought - he's doing what comes naturally, and it's the right thing, which is even better.
[ ... ]
In case you meant "hasn't given it any thought":
Strange, I've read panels 2 and 5 as him doing just that. Both are entirely silent and without any perceivable activity. Granted, panel 2 could just be situational exposition but still...

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

[ ... ]
In case you meant "hasn't given it any thought":

I wrote it with the subordinate phrase qualifying/expanding just '"handling"' in my mind; if you read it as qualifying 'not "handling"' then it needs your change.  Hooray for ambiguity! (but surely everyone knew what I meant).

I've read panels 2 and 5 as him doing just that. Both are entirely silent and without any perceivable activity. Granted, panel 2 could just be situational exposition but still...

I don't see him thinking about the best thing to do; I see him taking in the situation (he's barely awake, after all) with a little surprise, and then settling back down with the minimum of disturbance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I find it hard to predict what will bring the posters out, but super-cute is one of the most reliable indicators.

Moral or life-changing dilemmas (will Hanners stay in space?). Relationship drama. (The Talk. Dora-Marten breakup.)

Speaking of "bringing out", your avatar was showing L (from Death Note).
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Quite agree.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster
  • I've got fireflies where my caution should be.

I completely agree, with the addition of him giving it thought doesn't necessarily equate to him needing to 'handle' the situation. He could be giving thought to how to best respect Claire and his own comfort, without needing to figure out how to handle it.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I know. I've never understood the whole macho thing either.
Does clutching an anime body-pillow qualify as macho? I don't think it is the adjective I would choose...

Marten has very clear eyes for someone waking in the wee small hours after drinking heavily.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

I can't think of any interpretation of macho that includes holding a pillow at a bar.
"Here's the wife hur hur."
Making fun of guys who are lonely, and hug their pillows. Objectifying women too. The wink and the upraised glass in the pub would seem to support that, as well as the expression of the girl in the background.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

I might not interpret that particular guy as 'macho', but you don't have to be macho to objectify woman, and that is certainly what the picture is suggesting.

westrim

I can't think of any interpretation of macho that includes holding a pillow at a bar.
Making fun of guys who are lonely, and hug their pillows. Objectifying women too. The wink and the upraised glass in the pub would seem to support that, as well as the expression of the girl in the background.
Between this and your previous comment, I am seriously subject confused.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Just realized something.

In comic 2370, why is Claire going all "luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" when she's talking about Dora and Martens past relationship? It almost sounds as if she's a bit envious (I was gonna say jealous, but maybe jealous is too strong a word for this).

I used to think she was being envious of Marten having dated Dora, but that didn't make any sense to me, and considering todays comic, I think she was being envious of Dora instead?

Maybe I'm reading stuff into this.
(also, is it offensive if I assume that Claire shows interest in men rather than women, because of being transgender? Is it offensive that I'm thinking about possibly being offensive? ARGH)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Self-reflection always gets you at least one nut spared.

(Note I said "spared", not "speared"... ahem)

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Finally we're getting somewhere.
Can I spare the left one? I rather like my left one.

westrim

In comic 2370, why is Claire going all "luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" when she's talking about Dora and Martens past relationship? It almost sounds as if she's a bit envious (I was gonna say jealous, but maybe jealous is too strong a word for this).

I used to think she was being envious of Marten having dated Dora, but that didn't make any sense to me, and considering todays comic, I think she was being envious of Dora instead?

Maybe I'm reading stuff into this.
(also, is it offensive if I assume that Claire shows interest in men rather than women, because of being transgender? Is it offensive that I'm thinking about possibly being offensive? ARGH)
It was discussed back then, so you can check the thread for that week. I interpreted it as "Marten, you were a lucky person to date her." without Claire attaching anything of herself to that statement.

Nah, for reading to much into things and recursive panoffensiveness, you have come to the right place.

Y

• Curry sauce

I somewhat expected this strip to be one where one wakes up with an arm around them, not full on snuggle though.

Also, why is there a girl in a bar?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Claire being attracted to men is canon (based on her reactions to Steve and Henry), but it's not determined whether she's into women or not.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Also, why is there a girl in a bar?

Looks like a restaurant that happens to have a bar in it. So there's no issue with kids being there to eat in the restaurant.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper

The urge to squee is UNBEARABLE
Worry Hat, Engage!

TheCollyWolly

• Larger than most fish
  • pressganged into service on a gnome submarine

My only reaction is HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Martens reaction worries me a bit - it does NOT look like he is comfortable having Claire clinging to him. It isn't the look of someone wondering about a potential romantic interest, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Martens reaction worries me a bit - it does NOT look like he is comfortable having Claire clinging to him. It isn't the look of someone wondering about a potential romantic interest, IMO. I hope I'm wrong.

He just looks surprised to me, like he was not expecting Claire to be a snuggly person, even in her sleep. Surprised, but not uncomfortable.

Miglow

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Marten is the best friend possible, at least she didn't fart in her sleep.

serious AWWWWWW

Why do I think this would be one of the best ways for them to wake up? Claire (or marten) farts loud enough to wake them both up. They look at each other in the eyes, and the awkwardness of the fart defuses the awkwardness of them snuggling together.

Oglokoog

• Not quite a lurker

Too cute.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Completely unrealistic comic. Hotel-room light switches are never that convenient.

Truth.

And a win for a comment.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Also - do ya get the feeling Marten's first thought was, "Here we go again..."?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

Also - do ya get the feeling Marten's first thought was, "Here we go again..."?

Hopefully it will, uhh, end a little less terrible for him this time..

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses

Knowing Jephzibah, our Trollmaster, it could still happen.

Bad Wolf

• Plantmonster

It would be pretty hilarious. Or maybe that's just the bucket of coffee and no sleep talking.

Regardless, it's time for me to go take my finals, and I will be back here later either for celebration lulz or for rereading the worst of Marten's life to make myself feel better.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

My interpretation of Marten's reaction: "Wha? Uh... Um... Well, okay then. zzzzz...."

Prediction for Claire's reaction, if she wakes up while Marten is still sleeping: "Huh? OHMYGODOHMYGODOhmy... Um.... Hey, this is nice! snuggle snuggle zzzzzz...."

In other words, I think it's all good between them. For now, at least. Unless Jeph has other ideas. That bastard.  :-P
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

So, you're saying there will be... nonconsensual snuggles:-o

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

*Joins the choir*

GAH SO CUTE OMIGOSH

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I might not interpret that particular guy as 'macho', but you don't have to be macho to objectify woman, and that is certainly what the picture is suggesting.

The original statement was something like "I don't understand the whole macho thing either", which means it is being treated as a related but separate subject.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

squeegee

• Not quite a lurker

Hmm, I took the progression of the comic as:

1. Marten wakes up,  sees Clair clinging to him and is a bit surprised, perhaps uncomfortable.
2. Marten starts to sit up (note the motion lines at his shoulders), perhaps to disengage.
2a. Marten's movement disturbs Clair and she "rghfrgl"s at him in her sleep, clings a bit more, eyes jammed. Compare to her previous peaceful expression. She's definitely going to wake up if he disengages.
3. M kills the lights
4. Stares at Clair, still a bit confused, not sure what to think about this.
5. M: fuck it, let's not disturb her, its not that big a deal. Zzzzz.

westrim

1. Marten wakes up,  sees Clair clinging to him and is a bit surprised, perhaps uncomfortable.
2. Marten starts to sit up (note the motion lines at his shoulders), perhaps to disengage.
2a. Marten's movement disturbs Clair and she "rghfrgl"s at him in her sleep, clings a bit more, eyes jammed. Compare to her previous peaceful expression. She's definitely going to wake up if he disengages.
3. M kills the lights
4. Stares at Clair, still a bit confused, not sure what to think about this.
Aw man, you shouldn't have called him M, now I'm involving James Bond and Judy Dench and Ralph Fiennes in all this. Also, that was my read on things.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wish you hadn't mentioned Ralph Fiennes, because now I'm just thinking how disappointed I was by Skyfall...but that's for another thread.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

drakanor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Is it bad that I am wondering if Marten will wake up with approximately 10 deep red welts? or that I registered just to ask that question XD

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten may have met trans people before among his mother's colleagues.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

r0xx0rus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Honestly ill be fine whether or not Marten and Clair hook up. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

+1 truth to this one.
What do you know about Pokémon?

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Translation:

"WHY THE FUCK IS THE PILLOW MOVING???"

Carl-E gets my upvote too!  :-D

1. Marten wakes up,  sees Claire clinging to him and is a bit surprised, perhaps uncomfortable.
2a. Marten's movement disturbs Claire and she "rghfrgl"s at him in her sleep, clings a bit more, eyes jammed. Compare to her previous peaceful expression. She's definitely going to wake up if he disengages.
3. M kills the lights
4. Stares at Claire, still a bit confused, not sure what to think about this.

That's how I read it too.

...So everyone ready for 4 panels of Steve eating cereal up next?

Swedish Chef

• Plantmonster
  • Lurk lurk lurk!

I'm leaning toward vaudevillian' rule of comedy #7: The longer the wait, the more embarassed Claire willl be once she wakes up before Marten type of humour.

Jeph is having fun with this. At our expense.

HeavyP

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Woo!

I was d'awwwing with everyone else on first read, but Claire's utterance stuck in my head for some reason I couldn't explain.  As I finally realized what it was, a cold truth dawned on me.
Claire is a murloc.

Edit: Changed post subject - having anything other than the standard re: makes it look like a new thread in the quick view (which just bothers me for some reason).
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2013, 13:34 by HeavyP »

Shteevie

• Plantmonster

Further adding to the rationale for the girl in the picture: Those anime body-length pillow cases usually have a 'PG' side and a 'PG-13+' side, depending on the artist, character, and property involved.

That 8-to-12-year-old is probably seeing the same character partially falling out of a neglige on the other side of the pillow.

For the record, I don't own any of these items, but I have seen them advertised.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up