THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where would you want to work in the QCverse?

Coffee of Doom
Library
The Secret Bakery
At Hannermoms corporate hq
On Hannerdads space station
As Svens assistant
For Marigolds dad
The pizza place that employ(ed) Penny and Dale
The bookstore that employed Penny
The Horrible Revelation bar with Wil
The other bar
Martens old work
The Irony cafe
That place in the mall with the chassis
The roomba factory
The LANpark
Someplace else not mentioned.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2480-2484 (1-5 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 56599 times)

TheEvilDog

Of course, this way Marten gets to call Jim "Dad III; Vengeance"

I think you mean "Dad III: Parenting with a Vengeance!"

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Dad III: The Daddying.

TheEvilDog

Unless its "The Stepfather" and then it becomes a whole different kind of horror.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Emilyverse seems to be a happy place to live.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

muon

• Plantmonster
  • Baking is science for hungry people.
    • tumblr

OMG!! All the embarrassment!

Isn't it usually Claire's role to be unusually blunt?

westrim

Nice save, Marten. Way to depth charge the save, Emily.

I recommend Martily and Emilen.

(I am not. I lift the tipped pun jar, and put in 3 internets)
But... but I already replaced it with a pun box. I gave it a lid and everything!

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Poor Maarten, I feel your awkward

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Comments like that could be job-endingly bad for Tai if Claire complains.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Claire is blunt about professional issues but seems to have some anxiety about interpersonal interactions.

EDIT: or if Emily complains, after someone explains it to her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Emily you cannot possibly be THAT oblivious.  :psyduck:

Alerie Sand

• Not quite a lurker

Oh, Emily  :laugh:

Now that it's mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing something happen for Marten in the love interest area... It's cute when he has a crush.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

... why would Claire complain, when she is too busy stifling her laughter?

TimO

• Emoticontraindication
    • TimO's Blog

Subtle Tai, really subtle! :-D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I had a similar reaction to Claire by the last panel (less the blushing). 

That was an excellent way to prepare to start into a day of legal work....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

C'mon Marten, don't be so stiff!

Besides, Emily looks like she'd know what she was doing if she went camping. I'm sure she could help you handle your wood.

that's all for today.
SQUEEZE BOX

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Trust me, it's more than enough. 

I am reminded of the Angus / Marigold / Hanners comic with "Don't break the spell!" 

I have to go sell beer now, or I'd archive it myself.  Have fun!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

We know Emily's a cloud cuckoolander. We know she's so oblivious that she's aware of anime tropes and such, yet doesn't know what anime is.

Also, time to overanalyze panel #3. Is Claire taken aback by Tai propositioning one of her employees for another employee, or is Claire taken aback by Marten being one of those employees?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Can't it be both? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

arkady

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Number 2482 reminds me of a really similar story.

I'd been over to a friend's house for drinks. There was a group of about six of us and several wanted to go to the local nightclub.

Nightclubs aren't really my thing, but spending time with friends is, so I went. Me and the other person who wasn't really a nightclub person got some drinks and sat in a quiet-ish corner chatting and keeping an eye on coats while the other four went dancing / "on the pull".

One of our number, we found out, gets quite creepy around women when he's drunk. We watched him try talking to someone, amusing ourselves as we watched her body language get more and more defensive until it got to the point that her friends rescued her or we went over to distract him while she escaped. (He is actually really quite sexist and in total denial about it - I honestly don't know who invites him to these things or why.)

After a bit of this he decided that he "hasn't got [his] mojo on" today, and decided to be my wingman.

I tried to explain that I wasn't interested in random pickups in clubs. He went away.

Three minutes later he turned up almost dragging a blonde woman behind him.

"This is Arkady," he says, "have you met him? Would you, yes or no?"

I like to think she was laughing at him and not me.

At least Tai is far less skeezy.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Wow.. that's such a classy pick up line....

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Also, Marten's camping comment suddenly reminded me of this horribly rapey bash.org quote: http://bash.org/?1730

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

Given the comic's title today, don't you mean "if Claire dies"?

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

*cracks up, dies laughing*

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

*spends time sniggering while cleaning keyboard* At least its washable. Poor coffee, I barely sipped thee.

It is at moments like these I have to wonder if Emily is really really all that she comes across as or does she have that touch of madness/genius and is playing the part really well?
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

westrim

We know Emily's a cloud cuckoolander. We know she's so oblivious that she's aware of anime tropes and such, yet doesn't know what anime is.

Also, time to overanalyze panel #3. Is Claire taken aback by Tai propositioning one of her employees for another employee, or is Claire taken aback by Marten being one of those employees?
Never underestimate a character trait that exists for the sake of comedy like Emilys obliviousness.

As to panel 3, I surmise that she's taken aback either because asking Emily is asking for trouble or she was hoping she'd be the target of the attempted hook up.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Damn, something's definitely wrong with the hosting of this comic. It took me now ten hours to read today's comic and enter the forum. I was able to open the forum for a short time in between, but only the main page, I couldn't load any of the subforums. I sincerely hope that this post will come through…

Pings and TCP connections time out all the time, on both domains, questionablecontent.net and forums.questionablecontent.net. I'm surprised nobody seems to have these problems, as the problem occured device and ISP independent here. Not even webproxies or VPN helped…

But when I was finally able to read the comic I burst out in laughter.

Also I'm surprised nobody has pointed Claire's shocked expression in reply of Tai's question. I thought that would be a great deal for all the Claire/Marten shippers. But I doubt that it means anything like that. I would have the same expression in her place…
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Aquaisces

• Plantmonster
  • It's an Earthship

Claire's disappointed/apprehensive look in panel 2 made me wonder. How did she feel about Tai singling out Emily instead of her? Was it even a thought at all?
If I learn to levitate, can I also fly?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Shipper here, Claire's nervous/shocked facial expression was one of the first things I noticed. Perhaps someone was worried she was about to be set up? XD

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

I occasionally have trouble reaching both the comic and the forum.  It usually only lasts a few minutes, although it has lasted as long as half an hour, or so. 

Today was one of the half an hour problems.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

westrim

Also I'm surprised nobody has pointed Claire's shocked expression in reply of Tai's question. I thought that would be a great deal for all the Claire/Marten shippers. But I doubt that it means anything like that. I would have the same expression in her place…
Sometimes that warning message is actually pertinent. Look one post up.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Damn, something's definitely wrong with the hosting of this comic. It took me now ten hours to read today's comic and enter the forum.

The CloudFlare caching service that the comic (and forum, as it's on the same server) uses has had problems at multiple nodes of its infrastructure today.  There were two hours when I couldn't connect at all.  Their status page still shows service degradation at a number of their nodes, including Frankfurt.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

And I had problems earlier, as well.

And I also pointed out panel 3 earlier. :P

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Damn, something's definitely wrong with the hosting of this comic. It took me now ten hours to read today's comic and enter the forum. I was able to open the forum for a short time in between, but only the main page, I couldn't load any of the subforums. I sincerely hope that this post will come through…

Pings and TCP connections time out all the time, on both domains, questionablecontent.net and forums.questionablecontent.net. I'm surprised nobody seems to have these problems, as the problem occured device and ISP independent here. Not even webproxies or VPN helped…

I've had the exact same problems...

The CloudFlare caching service that the comic (and forum, as it's on the same server) uses has had problems at multiple nodes of its infrastructure today.  There were two hours when I couldn't connect at all.  Their status page still shows service degradation at a number of their nodes, including Frankfurt.

...but suspected correctly that it was just CloudFlare acting up. Was kinda annoying though! I was occasionally able to read your comments here and was aching to find more (confessed shipper here. Hi, GM!)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I totally oversaw that… Sorry.

So I wasn't the only one who had trouble with accessing from Germany today. When they know that this problem exists, why don't they resolve the domain to one of their working servers? The first ping I sent today was fine, but the following ones (which were sent to a different IP) all timed out. Entering the first IP in a browser resulted in a Cloudflare message that told me that direct IP connections are forbidden. This just confirms my opinion about services like this. I do not have much experience with this, but I think a well configured iptables should work against small DDoS attacks just as well as a caching service. Big DDoS attacks, well, they could just as well crash the caching service.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

CloudFlare is also a hedge against IPv4 exhaustion - they actually care what hostname you access the site under, to determine how to route the traffic, using fewer IPs. In other words, with CloudFlare, the hostname is actually critical.

(And, FWIW, my problems were from Newark, OH, USA.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Newark was the epicentre of their problems, I understand.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

So I wasn't the only one who had trouble with accessing from Germany today.

I also couldn't access the site the whole (German) day. Is this a problem specific to Germany? I checked on isitdownrightnow.com a few times which said everything was fine, but according to the comments, a few people still had the same problem. Somebody wrote it had something to do with a change of IP adress for the site. Apparently the problem could be resolved by using a different DNS server (I actually do not know much about this stuff, so I didn't change my DNS server...).

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

I have had no problem accessing comic and forum several times throughout the day from two locations in Denmark.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Is this a problem specific to Germany?

They have caching node sites in many countries.  The status link in my previous message shows problems at several US nodes, Frankfurt, and Hong Kong.  But they had routing problems in Newark which prevented some data getting through to nodes which were in themselves working - so that although London is shown as having no problems today, I did in fact have problems this morning.  Testing sites like isitdownrightnow.com often test at several places as well, so may get a different answer from your own experience.

They strike me as a not terribly reliable service; but the service level that is being used for QC is free, so maybe paid users get priority in fixes or workarounds.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

While I couldn't access the comic this morning, it was easy enough to find on tumblr.  That seems to be a handy backup approach.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Are we all pretending to not get the Emster's (perhaps) unwitting innuendo? If so, I'll play along.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Hahahahahhahaha oh my god Emily you make everything better

Also I'm surprised nobody has pointed Claire's shocked expression in reply of Tai's question. I thought that would be a great deal for all the Claire/Marten shippers.
I am a shipper but I doubt it happening so I no longer hope it happens.

Haha just kidding please happen.
Hurp

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Newark was the epicentre of their problems, I understand.
Different Newark, I suspect - not the one in Ohio. ;)

Not the first time this one has been confused for the one in New Jersey.

Newark, New Jersey: Part of the New York City metropolitan area (so a lot of stuff that needs to be near NYC, but needs to be cheaper, goes there).
Newark, Ohio: Hick "city" near Columbus, OH, its claim to fame is some hick attaching a lawnmower engine to a bar stool, getting drunk, driving it, and crashing it. Oh, and some glass factory.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

cat in a tube
I don't think this implementation of the protocol allows for an easy three-way-handshake. :-D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Yay! I can has forum! I was able briefly to see the comic last night, but not get here. Excellent drawing of Claire, but Emily's a bit two dimensional...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If Emily had picked up her ancestral culture it would be plausible that she deliberately misunderstood in order to avoid a confrontation and then adroitly picked a double-entendre to flirt but have plausible deniability about it.

Not for an instant do I think that's what happened.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Was about to say you were giving Emily a crapload of credit there haha
Hurp

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

De-lurking to note the same question was asked repeatedly about Padma.
(She wasn't, really.)

And we saw how that turned out.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

And Raven.
Speaking of which, I still root for a meeting of Emily and Raven to happen.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

But which is more frightening

The thought that Emily is that oblivious, or that she gets it and acts that oblivious.

And was Claire having a wishful thinking moment there?!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up