THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 02:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where would you want to work in the QCverse?

Coffee of Doom
Library
The Secret Bakery
At Hannermoms corporate hq
On Hannerdads space station
As Svens assistant
For Marigolds dad
The pizza place that employ(ed) Penny and Dale
The bookstore that employed Penny
The Horrible Revelation bar with Wil
The other bar
Martens old work
The Irony cafe
That place in the mall with the chassis
The roomba factory
The LANpark
Someplace else not mentioned.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2480-2484 (1-5 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 57358 times)

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

But which is more frightening

The thought that Emily is that oblivious, or that she gets it and acts that oblivious.

And was Claire having a wishful thinking moment there?!
I think that if Emily does get it, she's covering for the fact that she is extremely socially awkward. People are more likely to forgive social gaffes if they think you're five beers short of a six pack than if they think you're on top of things and are offensive unintentionally.

I think Claire is just trying to keep from exploding into loud, raucous laughter in a library environment.

Or she's having an aneurysm.

Whichever.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Looking at today's comic, and the one that Jeph linked to on Twitter, I wonder if he isn't setting up a rivalry between Emily and Claire...

... or is that a bit too shippy?  :-P
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I'm beginning to think that Emily must have been an Irish setter in a previous life, because as dogs go Irish setters are the happiest, friendliest and most extraordinarily goofy of all.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Newark, New Jersey: Part of the New York City metropolitan area (so a lot of stuff that needs to be near NYC, but needs to be cheaper, goes there).
I grew up 15 minutes from there.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Where would you want to work in the QCverse?

Coffee of Doom    4 (4.7%)
Library    11 (12.9%)
The Secret Bakery    4 (4.7%)
At Hannermoms corporate hq    4 (4.7%)
On Hannerdads space station    39 (45.9%) <== By a LARGE margin
As Svens assistant    2 (2.4%)
For Marigolds dad    0 (0%)
The pizza place that employ(ed) Penny* and Dale    0 (0%)
The bookstore that employed Penny    2 (2.4%)
The Horrible Revelation bar with Wil    7 (8.2%)
The other bar    0 (0%)
Martens old work    2 (2.4%)
The Irony cafe    0 (0%)
That place in the mall with the chassis    6 (7.1%) <== "Idoru" is the name of the store, BTW.
The roomba factory    2 (2.4%)
The LANpark    1 (1.2%)
Someplace else not mentioned.    1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

* - "Allegedly" Penny worked at a pizza place, under her "alter ego" of Pizza Girl. This has not yet been proven.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I'm beginning to think that Emily must have been an Irish setter in a previous life, because as dogs go Irish setters are the happiest, friendliest and most extraordinarily goofy of all.

I really think you've got something there.  :-D

As for Claire's expressions, I honestly believe that Claire has no interest in being anything to Marten but his friend. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been so mortified by the cuddling incident, worrying that Marten might think she was interested in him because of it.

So here's my take on her expressions by panel:
  • Panel 2: Looks like an "Uh-oh" to me. Something like "Uh-oh, what are you up to now?", or maybe "Uh-oh, you're not going to suggest ME for Marten, are you??"
  • Panel 3: Pretty much the same as panel 2, with perhaps a smidgen of curiosity added.
  • Panel 4: Trying very hard not to laugh at Emily. The "Pffffffff" sound effect definitely seems like imperfectly suppressed laughter to me. I imagine it sounding exactly as if you started to open a 2-liter bottle of soda that had just been shaken hard, and you're trying to clamp down on it and screw the lid back down before it completely explodes.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

If Emily had picked up her ancestral culture it would be plausible that she deliberately misunderstood in order to avoid a confrontation and then adroitly picked a double-entendre to flirt but have plausible deniability about it.

Not for an instant do I think that's what happened.

That would be... hmmmm.... maybe she just wants us to think she's totally out of it, but is in fact in complete control of the situation, picking and choosing her words and behaviors to maximize her personal amusement and the confusion of others. Which would in fact make her the God Queen of Troll Kind.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

I just read the comic, and now my ribs need a transplant.

Also, the idea that Emily is some sort of troll evil mastermind is. . . scarily possible. And awesome.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I tend to think she's one of those child geniuses, finishing college at 12 and starting to study Library Science. 

A very tall 12. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

As for Claire's expressions, I honestly believe that Claire has no interest in being anything to Marten but his friend. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been so mortified by the cuddling incident, worrying that Marten might think she was interested in him because of it.

That could have been taken many ways. She could very well not like him. Could like him but not want to let on. Could like him, but still not want to send a signal she didn't send herself. Or the obvious, regardless of liking him, was afraid he'd be freaked out by the trans thing.

willpell

• Plantmonster

Well at least the infinite hot dogs aren't going into his cloaca....
"From the moment I wake, it rains grenades, so I scribble on the page and reality fades."
--Otep, "Serv Asat"

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

... or coming out of his cloaca

Happy Fourth of July to US forumites!
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Cloaca is a humorous word.

And now, my traditional July 4th post:

"Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist�and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

President Thomas Whitmore
July 4th, 1996
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ThinksTooMuch

• Plantmonster

Independence Day was such a brilliant film.  It was also a product of it's time.  This may be nostalgia speaking, I mean I saw that movie for the first time somewhere around age 9... but I am having a hard time coming up with a speech even half as memorable in any movie within the last decade-plus.

Oh, comic... Emily's response to Marten yesterday had me in stitches.  And since Barbecue is on the menu today, I will be keeping Jeph's advice in mind!
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."  Lemony Snicket

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

... or coming out of his cloaca

Happy Fourth of July to US forumites!

Mass is conserved, and Yelling Bird isn't getting any bigger, so they must be going somewhere.

The origin of hot dogs is something best not thought about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Happy Crusader-Slaughtering Day.

1187 Never Forget.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Mass is conserved, and Yelling Bird isn't getting any bigger, so they must be going somewhere.

No laws apply in Yelling Bird's universe. He would be in jail if they did.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

That would be... hmmmm.... maybe she just wants us to think she's totally out of it, but is in fact in complete control of the situation, picking and choosing her words and behaviors to maximize her personal amusement and the confusion of others. Which would in fact make her the God Queen of Troll Kind.

Nah - Emily doesn't turn to stone when in contact with sunlight, therefore not a troll.

(Well, at least the north European type.  She seems smarter than a Warhammer Fantasy type as well.)
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

GarandMarine

• Awakened

We're talking the sub species Trollicus 4chanicus here Borde.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

I wonder if the QC-verse has advanced enough technology that I could buy one of the chassis for myself? With my nice employee discount of course.
Super-villain in training.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

We're talking the sub species Trollicus 4chanicus here Borde.

As I understand it that subspecies is also susceptible to sunlight as well, which is why they are most often found in basements.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

But that's not because they turn to stone; it's more a case of extreme photosensitivity due to their troglodytic habits. Some of them have, however, learned that much of this can be mitigated by the use of long dark clothes, hats, and sunglasses.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Cloaca is a humorous word.

And now, my traditional July 4th post:

"Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist�and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.' Today we celebrate our independence day!"

President Thomas Whitmore
July 4th, 1996

Good speech, but it's Pullmans delivery that sells it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

(facepalm)

Comic linky brokey.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Well Veronica? Are you feeling lucky? Eh? Eh?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

EDIT: Had to wait for it to propagate. All better now.

Hmmm.... I think I can help the Google SEO count... :D

(HINT: try going here ;) )
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2013, 23:50 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I think it must be something to do with the caching service - since it was introduced I regularly find that the comic doesn't appear for a little while after being updated.  Sometimes following the links for Previous and Next gets it to show.

That said, I can see today's just fine, and it's something I said I reckoned wouldn't happen...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The first hit in the actual Google search... is the Secret Bakery entry in the QC Wikia page. :)

(click to show/hide)
Just another Joe like 46

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Desperation, thy name is Veronica.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This feels contrived. So what if she's not interested in anyone from the scene. They have friends. Friends of friends are a traditional resource. Better than crossing the country to meet someone who prefers younger women.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

On the bright side Veronica seems to be looking a lot younger these days. Clearly toyboys are good for the skin.

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Glad to see I'm not the only one who made the search...
There is indeed a surprising number of bakeries in Northampton.
As for meeting people in the scene, why do I suddenly have a vision of Ally and Lisa playing matchmaker (Sunstone reference, for those wondering, excellent webcomic on BDSM... and love. Now, that sounds cheesy...).
Signature OF DOOM!

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Does this seem like Jeph is actually going for the Jim-Veronica thing? I know that it has been suggested here already after Jim's and Dora's date, but I really wouldn't have expected to see it in the comic. Although apart from them living at different ends of the continent, I can actually imagine them as a couple quite well by now.
Or maybe it's just a pre-weekend gag and next week we'll have something completely different. Ah well, we'll see.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

This feels contrived.
Yes, I regret to say, it does.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.

Contrived or no I still want to see where it goes. She needs some lovins too.
Super-villain in training.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

No less contrived than how Marten followed Vicki cross-country. Or the whole Padma thing, which at the time seemed contrived, too.

I have my doubts this will go far, but it'll be fun to watch the train wreck story line.
Just another Joe like 46

Skaltura

• Furry furrier

Ms. Vance permanently joining the cast in Northampton, MA would be the funniest thing ever. :-D

A never-ending shitstorm of embarrassment and humiliation for Marten without a doubt, but still funny as hell. :evil:

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

The first hit in the actual Google search... is the Secret Bakery entry in the QC Wikia page. :)
But the picture of Jim isn't the least bit cute . .
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Ms. Vance permanently joining the cast in Northampton, MA would be the funniest thing ever. :-D

A never-ending shitstorm of embarrassment and humiliation for Marten without a doubt, but still funny as hell. :evil:
You and me have a different definition of funny. I shall be awaiting you at midday before the saloon doors.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

*Starts measuring Loki and Skal* Do you prefer pine or oak?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Nighthawk700

• Not quite a lurker

I think Jeph is doing a great job of poking at the shippers.  ;-) 

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Yes, he is…

All aboard the "Marten/Emily"!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

The only slightly sensible ship name that I can find is 'Emten', pronounced 'A414'.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I know people like to tease by pushing the boundaries, often because they think things can be boring otherwise; but let me remind you:

Shipping.  Well, if a pairing is realistic for the characters as written, and in the situation they are in, then it may well be reasonable to discuss.  But the use of any portmanteau to describe a pairing is a big, big warning sign that offensive trivialisation is in play.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

I also think it might be Jeph pulling a "Steve eats breakfast" joke on us...

but hey, if you were in Veronica's situation, wouldn't you fire up The Google just to see what you'd find?
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'd be curious as to what was making more than one person think of pairing us up more than just what he looked like. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Y

• Curry sauce

It seems Jeph is still logged in on google plus seeing we can see ph as last letters of the username.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I think Jeph is doing a great job of poking at the shippers.  ;-)

I agree that it probably is a jab at the probably numerous people suggesting this to him. I am actually not very interested in this storyline and I sort of wish we had an actual story instead of just this kind of poke, if that's what it is. And if it's serious I agree that it is a very constructed sort of development. Although my brain tried to make it work in accordance with how the comic seems/seemed to be going this morning, hence my comment above, which  I did not intend to be shipping. I hope it has not been seen as violating any rules. If so, I apologise.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

It seems Jeph is still logged in on google plus seeing we can see ph as last letters of the username.

Nice catch. That should go in the "Did you notice?" Thread.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up