THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 04:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where would you want to work in the QCverse?

Coffee of Doom
Library
The Secret Bakery
At Hannermoms corporate hq
On Hannerdads space station
As Svens assistant
For Marigolds dad
The pizza place that employ(ed) Penny and Dale
The bookstore that employed Penny
The Horrible Revelation bar with Wil
The other bar
Martens old work
The Irony cafe
That place in the mall with the chassis
The roomba factory
The LANpark
Someplace else not mentioned.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2480-2484 (1-5 July, 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 57367 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

My post was only a somewhat contrived road name joke, though if the mod-post was directed at me then I apologise and shall not do it again.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Don't worry.  No lines have been crossed; but each approach can make it easier for someone else to go too far, is all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Besides, once VV sees the soul patch it'll be all over for that ship.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I actually had a really bad shipmanteau joke, involving the song Row, Row, Row Your Boat (even though the pronunciation would be simply wrong), saved up. Decided against it.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I'd be curious as to what was making more than one person think of pairing us up more than just what he looked like.

This happen to you often? 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I think Jeph is doing a great job of poking at the shippers.  ;-)

Yeah, this definitely feels like trolling the 'shippers to me. Nicely done, too.  8-) I don't see Veronica changing her mind no matter what she finds in that search.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Just playing devil's advocate here: Veronica is in "Oh God I'm so lonely!" territory, which can lead people to do highly irrational things.

She also seems self-aware enough that she wouldn't make a life-changing decision while in that territory. She may daydream, but that's all.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

She (and Henry for that matter) do have a tendency to visit Marten with little-to-no notice.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

On the bright side Veronica seems to be looking a lot younger these days. Clearly toyboys are good for the skin.
Every time Veronica appears, she looks younger. Check out
432 - first appearance
1820 - after The Breakup
2409 - At the wedding
2484 - today

Whatever she's taking, I want some.

Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I partially disagree, I think she looks significantly older in 1820 than she does in 432, which makes it all the more jarring at the wedding that she looks even younger than she does in 432.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Well... VV could have had a little "work" done, it might even be a tax-deductible expense.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

Are we really calling her VV now? Her legal name is still Veronica Reed after all.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Considering she's divorced, wouldn't she go back to using her original name? And has her original name ever been mentioned in the comic?

ElvisRevenge

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Marten's mom without makeup looks FOOOOOOINE!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'd be curious as to what was making more than one person think of pairing us up more than just what he looked like.

This happen to you often?

Getting paired up, or really bad sentence structure? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

… both?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Bad sentence structure is a constant hazard. 

I'm short, bald, overweight and over 50.  No, don't get paired up a lot.   :-P

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I think we're seeing the evolution of Jeph's art here, and not any kind of intentional change in appearance.

In the 400s, the differences in characters were pretty subtle. I think Veronica looks youngest in that series, if only because her appearance isn't that different from much younger girls and she almost looks like just a slightly larger Dora.

The 1800s show a pretty big difference between the beginning and end. When she appears in 1820 the lines defining her cheeks and eye lines are pretty dark, making her look much older than in the 400s... so much so that I was trying to figure out who she was. By 1829-30-31 those lines have significantly lightened and are much more subtle. Were I guessing I'd say Jeph was figuring out how to draw her in the updated style and made some adjustments along the way to dial her in a little better.

At the wedding, for me, anyway, the glasses really dominated her features. The cheek lines are now gone, eye lines remain and are more shading differences than actual lines. You could convince me that perhaps she had some work done in between to soften those cheek lines but I think it's just as likely a drawing style update.

So take her glasses off and return her to her home setting in relaxed mode and you get the hotness that is 2484. When I get a chance to watch the stream (which I highly recommend... watch Jeph's twitter each night for details and a link to the stream) I'm frequently astonished how much difference the glasses make. He draws the faces first, then adds the glasses later.

If I get some time I might put together one of those side-by-side-by-side multi-frame pictures of Veronica's appearances (if no one beats me to it, hint hint)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Now who says she ain't interested  :D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Jeph's art around the time of Dora in her blonde hair was hit or miss at times. It wasn't until about right around the breakup that the art got noticeably better.

And I'm all for VV as a moniker, and I would probably agree that she's been having some "work" done. That could very well be why she's seated in her robe, after all...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Throg

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • will accordion for food

Yeah--Jeph's art has improved so steadily and so incrementally that it's hard to make judgements about whether a character has "gotten work done" as opposed to Jeph has a better handle on facial structure or likes this style over that style.

And what harm in a little Googlestalking? There's a big leap to looking up people's pics online and actually making a call, let alone meeting for coffee. 

I dunno, if Marten's mom ends up coming over to date, er, her son's-ex's-one-time-date, that's getting close to sharkjumping.

SQUEEZE BOX

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If we're talking about business expenses, we're talking about her business, and her professional name is Veronica Vance.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Does anyone call John Wayne by anything other than his professional name? If not, I'm cool with VV.

she almost looks like just a slightly larger Dora.
This occurred to me too. A little "work", a few work-outs, and a good hairdresser...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

I know some folks say the possible Veronica /Jim romance seems contrived. I respectfully disagree.

Veronica admitted to Marten back right after the breakup that she was lousy at relationships.

We know Mrs. Reed is more than capable from a sexual standpoint. She works as a professional dominatrix and can pick up men less than half her age for one night stands. Her problem is that she has no idea how to be in a healthy long term relationship, and at 57 is terrified of being alone. She is a beautiful attractive woman who has remained a "player" well into he fifties, but wether her fears are founded or not, she thinks she's running out of time to find someone to share her life with. She admitted at the wedding that she had no idea how to have a normal relationship  and that everyone  she knew was into the "scene".

I think that she's  so afraid of being rejected if she goes out and tries it on her own that she's paralyzed and won't act on her own.

Enter her son, calling about a possible prospect. Suddenly, she's  not on her own. Marten  has suggested someone for her to date, even if it was in a dismissive way. Veronica can feel safe trying to date Jim because it wasn't entirely her idea. If it all goes pear shaped, Marten is partially to blame, even if only  a little.

That frees her up to try, where before, she couldn't for fear of a failure that would have been all her fault.
Mind  this not a concious thought process on her part. But I think it explains why out of the myriad of possibilities she has, she's  going to fly back to Northampton and attempt to romance a man mentioned in a casual conversation with her son.

My $.02.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

It'll all go wrong when she decides she does not wish to be a stepmother.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

That, or she simply doesn't understand the basic give and take of a good relationship. She is a dominant personality.

The problem she will run into, even with her one night stands will be if her would be conquests get even a wiff of desperation from her. What makes her attractive, beyond her physical beauty, is het aura of self confidence. A hint that she is not as confident as she seemed will undermine that.

Also, what could sabotage a relationship with Jim would be a refusal to let her defenses down, to be at least a little vulnerable.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This may amount to nothing. I am interested to see it play out, one way or the other.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She seems to have been OK with being a parent, though that doesn't mean she'd want to do it again. In fact, it's notable that Marten is an only child.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

I have a feeling that's more due to Maurice :P

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Sam's well past the age where she'd need/desire an extra parent in the full sense of the term most likely. So I don't think that's really a consideration. I have no doubt that Sam would appreciate another woman around besides our favorite staff of sassy baristas to get life advice from, and Veronica certainly isn't shy about giving advice when asked, but it wouldn't be "parenting" in the involved sense of raising your offspring for 18 or so years.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mary tyler murder

• Plantmonster
  • lights up the world with her

it really is gonna be a 'martin's supposed friends and his mom ignore his feelings and shit all over him' arc, barf

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Which all reminds me of a very old and very terrible joke:

Q. How does Veronica keep her youth?

(click to show/hide)
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like for a rebellious teen to rebel against Ms. Reed.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

That, or she simply doesn't understand the basic give and take of a good relationship. She is a dominant personality.

The problem she will run into, even with her one night stands will be if her would be conquests get even a wiff of desperation from her. What makes her attractive, beyond her physical beauty, is het aura of self confidence. A hint that she is not as confident as she seemed will undermine that.

Also, what could sabotage a relationship with Jim would be a refusal to let her defenses down, to be at least a little vulnerable.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. This may amount to nothing. I am interested to see it play out, one way or the other.

I was actually very much against the relationship happening, but now you made me want it to appear in the comic.
I'm trying to imagine what it would be like for a rebellious teen to rebel against Ms. Reed.

...and that too :D
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I just realised how great the bottom panel of 2482 is as new panel for the QC Captions thread… If you put it out of context and blank the speech bubbles the panel gets a whole new meaning…
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

But what if Sam winds up being her apprentice?   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Ms. Reed is looking good.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

westrim

Hmm. I'm really not interested in the comic taking the suggested turn, mostly because I don't like one of the two characters involved.

Sorry I didn't make a second poll by the way, the second half of my week was rather busy. A new thread will be up tonight, because I'll be on the road tomorrow.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Which all reminds me of a very old and very terrible joke:

Q. How does Veronica keep her youth?

(click to show/hide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI

:-D Every old joke is new to someone, and that one was new to me.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I know some folks say the possible Veronica /Jim romance seems contrived. I respectfully disagree.

Veronica admitted to Marten back right after the breakup that she was lousy at relationships.

We know Mrs. Reed is more than capable from a sexual standpoint. She works as a professional dominatrix and can pick up men less than half her age for one night stands. Her problem is that she has no idea how to be in a healthy long term relationship, and at 57 is terrified of being alone. She is a beautiful attractive woman who has remained a "player" well into he fifties, but wether her fears are founded or not, she thinks she's running out of time to find someone to share her life with. She admitted at the wedding that she had no idea how to have a normal relationship  and that everyone  she knew was into the "scene".

I think that she's  so afraid of being rejected if she goes out and tries it on her own that she's paralyzed and won't act on her own.

Enter her son, calling about a possible prospect. Suddenly, she's  not on her own. Marten  has suggested someone for her to date, even if it was in a dismissive way. Veronica can feel safe trying to date Jim because it wasn't entirely her idea. If it all goes pear shaped, Marten is partially to blame, even if only  a little.

That frees her up to try, where before, she couldn't for fear of a failure that would have been all her fault.
Mind  this not a concious thought process on her part. But I think it explains why out of the myriad of possibilities she has, she's  going to fly back to Northampton and attempt to romance a man mentioned in a casual conversation with her son.

My $.02.

Very well said, so much so that I'm quoting the whole thing for effect.

I'd just add that the "I'm so lonely" breakdown in the bar at the wedding shows us that there are some serious chunks in her armor. She might simply not be as experienced at non-professional relationships as we might think, notwithstanding the fact that she has an adult child.

Also FWIW, I think VV exploring "vanilla dating" would be an interesting parallel to Claire exploring dating/relationships for the first time as a woman.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Double dates? 

Oh, that's right, we still need to pair Claire up with someone. 

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Just to clarify, does "vanilla" just mean "not S&M"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That's the usual meaning in this context.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I never understood that.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

So if 'vanilla' means 'non-S&M', does that mean 'chocolate' is 'S&M', or is it something else?

I could make a joke about chocolate involving Is it cold in here?'s post count text, but I'll avoid that one.

Carl-E

• Awakened

The term "vanilla" is not in opposition to chocolate, but is a way of saying "plain". 

"whitebread" is also often used in the same context.  That does not mean S&M is necessarily "pumpernickel" (or rye, for that matter). 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That sounds kind of judgmental. Is it intended to be so?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Carl-E

• Awakened

That sounds kind of judgmental. Is it intended to be so?

No, I think people just aren't used to good vanilla ice cream. 

Or good white bread. 

On second thought, yes, it's pretty judgmental.  Think Wonderbread...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up