THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 18:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 92   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The Guitar Topic - B  (Read 157970 times)

Zingoleb

Re: Re: The Guitar Topic - B
« Reply #400 on: 04 Jul 2009, 22:12 »

The man I am commissioning to make my bouzouki?

He makes some killer resonator guitars, and will bitch you out if you call it a Dobro.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #401 on: 04 Jul 2009, 23:24 »

even if that mattered, I want patrick to buy a Dobro.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #402 on: 05 Jul 2009, 06:57 »

I played an actual Dobro resonator gee-tar once and the fucker had a square neck and I couldn't make it work for slide OR for fretting. Dobros are basically fucking useless to me.

Speaking of acoustics, one of my pet projects for after I get the hollowbody and the Blues Deluxe or Deville is to get me an acoustic. I've been looking at the Taylor 100 and 200 lines, and I've played a couple and loved them endlessly, but Idunno. You guys got any recommendations for something around $500-900 that plays as well as them Taylors do?

If you loved them then why not go for one? Why waste energy looking for something else?

'Cause I wanna be sure I'm getting the best value for my moneyz. I don't wanna get a Taylor and then find something even better like 2 months later. Buyer's regret sucks in a place like Alaska where you can't even take it back to the store and resell it 'cause the store is like 30 hours away by ferry.

Also guys look at my BUCKLE RASH

My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #403 on: 05 Jul 2009, 18:00 »

I just got a Blueridge BR-60CE earlier this year for $800, and it is my favorite acoustic I've ever played.  I don't know how easy they are to find, but if you come across one you should definitely play it.  I'll post pictures soon in order to increase the acoustic pronz level in this thread.

ALSO

HOPEFULLY GETTING MY TRIBUTE ASAT BLUESBOY SEMI-HOLLOW TOMORROW!!!

wespeakinmidi

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #404 on: 05 Jul 2009, 20:30 »

patrick,

i have a friend who's girlfriend bought him a midline taylor for christmas last year ( gotta find one of those girls right? ), and while he loved the guitar, he seemed to think it was really bright sounding, almost too bright sometimes, and lacked what he heard and wanted from other acoustics.  however, i picked up the guitar and thought it was a great sounding guitar since it sounded wonders better than my acoustic. 

i also have a few friends whom own midline martins that sound better than the $2000 martins ones we pick up.  i personally really like the sound of martins, but i still can't tell how much i like the feel of the necks, and i love the sound of the gibsons and the necks, but my wallet hates the tag.  ha.  anyway, 

the problem with buying acoustics is that a lot of these music stores have those acoustic rooms that could make a cardboard guitar sound good.  they're so deceitful to the ear.  ever pick up something out of a room like that, only to bring it home wondering why it sounds like a totally different guitar?

these places frown on you walking out of the room with the high end guitars, but whatever, if i'm serious about buying it, i'll play it where i want.  it's just really important to pick up a lot of different guitars, even if they are the same model, and let your ears do the judging, and inevitably, let the guitar pick you.. because it will.

"A little love is like a little wine.  Too much of either will make a man sick" - john steinbeck

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #405 on: 05 Jul 2009, 21:07 »

My ex-girlfriend bought me a low-end Martin a while back and I really wasn't content with it. It was way too dull sounding, too quiet, not bright enough.

Grass is always greener etc.
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2009, 19:30 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #406 on: 06 Jul 2009, 07:17 »

Pssh, I see your 6x10 and raise you with HENRY THE Weight x weight!. </fixxxed>

Actually, though, gorgeous bass rig man.

(100 lbs!) Although I have to give it to SWR, they are extremely economical with their cabs weight. GK on the other hand....

Eh, take the back off that thing and it'll be only 98. Help your bassist carry his rig, they'll help with yours. Makes life easy!
My bassist is the esteemed Mrs Doombilly. She cannot haul the bass rig up the hill on the hand truck. I usually stack the 1x15swr and the gk4x10 and make the trek 1st because everything else in the truck is lighter than that load. Srsly I think with the handtruck she weighs less than the bass rig. Certainly with the ampeg head she would. Reason #293 I use a tiny terror and a reasonably weighted 2x12 cabinet. Plus the 2 PA speakers are like 80lbs each. I have it down to 5 trips with the handtruck these days.
1) bass cabs, 2) avatar212 3) ampeg bass head in skb rack+"power station" (carvin power amp, ETA power conditioner in a SKB dj rack) 4) pa spkr1 5) pa spkr2.
She loads all the guitars, gig bags, mic stands, 2 suitcases with the sequencer, mixer; and our special outfits in the cab.
It is a system. And then the next day after a gig I can play the, "Where/How did I get this big-assed bruise?" game. Loads of fun for the whole family...

Also hot tip #1 for finding good fitting cases for items that don't/won't go into a rack. Go to the goodwill. American tourister suitcases and some rubber foam work trés efficiently. I got three for $10. Two were perfect.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #407 on: 06 Jul 2009, 09:13 »

In my experience Taylors are trebly and Martins are on the bassy end of the spectrum.  As a general rule.  I've been playing on a Seagull and find it fantastic.  It plays a lot like a Taylor and the guy that founded the company worked with Taylor a while back.  The best acoustic guitar I have ever played is a Santa Cruz Firefly.  Holy crap, I would kidnap children for that thing.  But I don't know where I'm going to get over three grand for a bunch of kids.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #408 on: 06 Jul 2009, 10:12 »

Black market.

Re: the incredible brightness of Taylors, yeah, it's pretty intense. But I've only ever heard Taylors with cutaways. I'd like to hear now their non-cut dreadnoughts sound before making a decision, which is why I'm not just gonna go out and get one.

Radical AC, I will definitely try to find some Seagull gee-tars at some point. I'll also be checking out Washburns and Martins and Gibsons and Alvarez acoustics and various others. I am looking for a guitar that is slightly brighter than my Kay (if she got any mellower I would play her to get the same effect as smoking weed, but cheaper), but with a similar mid and bass response and much easier playing action.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #409 on: 06 Jul 2009, 10:34 »

My best friend has a non-cutaway dreadnought Taylor and I would say it is much brighter than a Martin of equal styling.  I don't know the exact model but I know he payed about a $1000 for it.  Seagull guitars (owned by Godin, all made in Canada  :-D) are the best deal in acoustics I've ever found for something $3-800.  Amazing craftsmanship and great materials.  Next I'm either going to get a 314ce Taylor or save up for a Santa Cruz, but I'd be afraid to take it anywhere.

For an example of the dreadnough taylor sound you could check the first song on my friends myspace.  (It's sappy, but the lyrics aren't the point  :-P)  He also uses heavy gauge strings toning down the brightness a bit.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #410 on: 06 Jul 2009, 12:01 »

In my limited experience the Seagull's play better than they sound. Which is a shame as the one I played felt great. But they can be had at economical prices. So there's that.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #411 on: 06 Jul 2009, 15:39 »

Know what pisses me off

Gibson is all like "Yeah man our acoustics are the best shit ever you should jack off to them from time to time, if only infrequently, long as our brand name is still famous and in TV shows and shit"

I have played every single Gibson acoustic available as of May 2008 and they are so-so

It is funny they are all "WHOO BRIGHT SOUND 'CAUSE OF SITKA SPRUCE TOPS YEEE" and you play the thing and it sounds dark and thuddy, "Redemption Song"-like

Fuckin' mahogany everything else fuck I bet they brace the shit with mahogany

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #412 on: 06 Jul 2009, 16:55 »

I'm actually gonna jump on the Seagull bandwagon as well. I played one of those Entourage Mini-Jumbos (which are supposed to be the budget line), and it was fantastic. And for $350? Forget about it.

I'm planning on buying one pretty soon, hopefully before the end of the year.

Zingoleb

« Reply #413 on: 06 Jul 2009, 18:14 »

it sounds dark and thuddy, "Redemption Song"-like

AHHHHHHHHHH

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #414 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:25 »

Alvarez are about as good as you can get for budget acoustics.  Fuck, John Darnielle plays an Alvarez.  That should be warrant enough to get one.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #415 on: 06 Jul 2009, 19:47 »

Easily the nicest playing, most comfortable acoustic I've ever played, --which also had beautiful tone and was loud as hell-- was this thing right here.   Too bad it's so effing ugly.  I feel like one of those freaks who owns a Chinese Crested Dog.  Clearly something is wrong with me for loving it, but I just can't help it.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #416 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:36 »

Oh ew jesus Gretsch what the hell
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BurningSky

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Blogule
« Reply #417 on: 06 Jul 2009, 20:53 »

This picture is over two years old, but it's one of the best of me on stage with my guitar. Damn, it makes me wish I had a band again.  :cry:

Touch Me Im Sick

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #418 on: 06 Jul 2009, 22:26 »

Nice guiatr BurningAxe

Anyways, I discovered a pretty awesome tuning today: FACGCE. It's basically only good for one-finger-fretting-all-strings chords, but it sounds awesome.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #419 on: 07 Jul 2009, 07:52 »

I tuned to FAGFAG once just 'cause I thought it'd be funny. Actually it sounded pretty cool. Another time I tuned to GAEGAE. Same story.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #420 on: 07 Jul 2009, 08:57 »

I've written some good stuff in DACGAE. As far as alternate tunings go I'm a big fan of DADGAD and DADGBD (for playing Neil Young songs).

Touch Me Im Sick

« Reply #421 on: 07 Jul 2009, 11:44 »

I tuned to FAGFAG once just 'cause I thought it'd be funny. Actually it sounded pretty cool. Another time I tuned to GAEGAE. Same story.

lol

I usually stay in standard or drop-D, but I love alternate tunings. Open G, Open C, DGDGBE, CGDGBE, and EADF#BE. That last one is pretty good for thick shoegazey chirds I find.

andripeter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #422 on: 07 Jul 2009, 14:00 »

I´m thinking about upgrading my amp from vox-ad100xl to a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410.  My gretch would sound sweet through that one!

Touch Me Im Sick

« Reply #423 on: 07 Jul 2009, 22:15 »

So, when I play my Tele through my Big Muff, it hums severely. When I turn down the guitar's volume knob, there's no hum. Should I look into Noiseless pickups or just give in and get a noise gate?

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #424 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:48 »

So, when I play my Tele through my Big Muff, it hums severely. When I turn down the guitar's volume knob, there's no hum. Should I look into Noiseless pickups or just give in and get a noise gate?
I've got Lace sensors on my Tele. They sound gorgeous. I've also heard good things about those crazy single-coil sized humbuckers that Seymour Duncan makes.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #425 on: 08 Jul 2009, 07:58 »

1. Tune to FAGBAG
2. Post results
3. ????
4. Profit!
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #426 on: 08 Jul 2009, 08:46 »

YOU GUYS!!

I am considering selling my Les Paul, since I hardly ever play it.

Is this good or bad?

Touch Me Im Sick

« Reply #427 on: 08 Jul 2009, 12:05 »

I've got Lace sensors on my Tele. They sound gorgeous. I've also heard good things about those crazy single-coil sized humbuckers that Seymour Duncan makes.

Hot Rails? I have one in my Strat. Sounds great, but it's WAY too hot. I mean, I can't play cleans on the thing without it distorting at least slightly.

imapiratearg

« Reply #428 on: 08 Jul 2009, 12:22 »

Hum is a normal thing with single coils.  Especially with a Muff, which is a seriously high gain circuit.

Touch Me Im Sick

« Reply #429 on: 08 Jul 2009, 12:24 »

Hum is a normal thing with single coils.  Especially with a Muff, which is a seriously high gain circuit.

Yeah, and I love both...just not that "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" when I'm not playing. Maybe I'll just put a killswitch in my guitar.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #430 on: 08 Jul 2009, 16:00 »

GUITAR SPAM (sorry)

ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-hollow; I got it, and yeah, it's pure sex.

And here's my acoustic, a Blueridge BR-60CE (product page here for those who are interested).

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #431 on: 08 Jul 2009, 17:08 »

Yeah, and I love both...just not that "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" when I'm not playing. Maybe I'll just put a killswitch in my guitar.
Have you checked the wiring? You might have a ground wire off. But that might just be as good as it gets. Hummy.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #432 on: 08 Jul 2009, 19:35 »

YOU GUYS!!

Is this good or bad?

Is this really a question?

imapiratearg

« Reply #433 on: 08 Jul 2009, 19:49 »

I want to turn the control plate on my Tele around.  I wonder if the wires are long enough.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #434 on: 09 Jul 2009, 04:01 »

If not just make them longer. Soldering is fun kids.
Get off my land

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #435 on: 09 Jul 2009, 09:58 »

ITT: Jeph starts a trend

Oh and fuck noiseless pick-ups. They are way too sterile and take all the persona out of your guitar and replace it with played-out tone. If you are having real trouble with your effects board causing screeching feedback, get a noise gate. That's what they are for. Noiseless pick-ups are for pansies who can't play lead guitar clean enough.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #436 on: 09 Jul 2009, 11:25 »

YOU GUYS!!

Is this good or bad?

Is this really a question?

Kinda. I am just so on the fence about this it's not even funny.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #437 on: 09 Jul 2009, 12:01 »

ITT: Jeph starts a trend

Oh and fuck noiseless pick-ups. They are way too sterile and take all the persona out of your guitar and replace it with played-out tone. If you are having real trouble with your effects board causing screeching feedback, get a noise gate. That's what they are for. Noiseless pick-ups are for pansies who can't play lead guitar clean enough.
Johnny Greenwood and Eric Clapton, and Bob Mould disagree, good sir.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #438 on: 09 Jul 2009, 12:30 »

Ok, guys. Sorry, but I love this guitar:

link for embiggenating: http://www.pulseonline.com/Schecter/bigPorlThompson.jpg

Schecter makes an interesting guitar every once in a while.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #439 on: 09 Jul 2009, 12:37 »

There's no fucking way Bob Mould ever used Lace Sensors in Husker Du and I don't really give a shit as to what Bob Mould is doing now.

Bob Mould also thinks it's cool to play one of these.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #440 on: 09 Jul 2009, 13:34 »

Hey, Corgan used them during the Siamese-dream era. No matter what you think of him you have to admit he knows how to make that stratocaster sound badass.
Just because they sound a little different doesn't mean they're not as good as conventional single-coils. Even if you don't like the tone there's they have great sustain and allow better intonation since they reduce string pull to almost nothing. All I'm saying is don't knock them till you try them.

imapiratearg

« Reply #441 on: 09 Jul 2009, 15:13 »

I don't like 'em 'cause I think they're ugly.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #442 on: 10 Jul 2009, 09:13 »

I'm playing electric lead for the first time in a few years next week. I'm a touch nervous, even though it's only simple stuff my fingers feel like dead weight at the minute.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zingoleb

« Reply #443 on: 10 Jul 2009, 12:33 »

^ Irony is, I can't play much other than lead guitar with my fingers, because holding chords makes my hand hurt terribly bad and so does holding a pick.

If not just make them longer. Soldering is fun kids.

I swear, when I read this, I read it as 'soldering kids is fun,' and as I read it just now, I could have sworn you said something along the lines of, 'Soldering little kids fun'.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #444 on: 11 Jul 2009, 08:06 »

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #445 on: 11 Jul 2009, 08:15 »

YOU GUYS!!

Is this good or bad?
How much?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #446 on: 11 Jul 2009, 15:49 »

Dear guys,

I am playing a 1937 Kay acoustic guitar

Basically I don't give a fuck about any of your guitars anymore, this is fucking perfect

(porn later when I finally fucking feel like putting this gorgeous thing down)

Love,
Me

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #447 on: 11 Jul 2009, 16:21 »

It is later, so here is porn:

72 goddamn years old

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #448 on: 11 Jul 2009, 17:43 »

72 goddamn years old

Is that how old the strings are too?

(okay so I am just trying to conceal my jealousy)
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Touch Me Im Sick

« Reply #449 on: 11 Jul 2009, 18:46 »

8===D~~~
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 92   Go Up