THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 157384 times)

NemoX

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lonely nobody
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 02 Feb 2015, 19:50 »

Well, it's good to see Faye at least acknowledges that she is not ok, and is willing to let Marten/her friends help her...even tho she still looks peeved at Dora, on some level she knows it is her own fault (she is after all admitting she deserved it). Still seems a bit harsh she huffs at Dora's help there.

Still, baby steps. Admitting it is the first step and what not.

Also, second to last panel is one of the cutest I've seen Hanners in a while ^_^
"Wit is educated insolence" - Aristotle

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #101 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:19 »

And in tomorrow's strip, everyone agrees to go back to the way things were, to avoid making Hanners sad. 

ASB84

« Reply #102 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:31 »

Yes Faye, it was nice of Dora, a courtesy that a lot of employers probably wouldn't extend to someone who wasn't also a friend. But perhaps I'm misreading the tone of that first panel; in the second one, Faye is certainly showing some awareness that she brought the situation on herself, so perhaps her comment in the first panel is meant to be more of a vague acknowledgement, in a morose and defeated tone.

In addition to hitting us right in the proverbial feels, the latest strip also brilliantly demonstrates Hanners' naivety. Endearingly, she suggests that simply asking very nicely will erase the transgression, and the betrayal of trust. If only it were that simple when we messed up big time in our lives, and only it were that simple for two of our main characters here.

At the same time though, Hanners is also a bit naive about Faye and her personality. I don't think that Hanners truly realises how abrasive, difficult, and bullying Faye can be towards other people. It's understandable, because Faye treats her better than pretty much everyone else in the cast. To Hanners, she's one of her first real friends apart from Station, someone who has helped her with her anxiety and have what most of us would consider a normal and healthy social life. As such, she holds Faye in very high regard.

Faye hasn't been nearly as warm or supportive towards other people in the past though, and her character flaws have certainly been described and discussed in length. Hanners was happy when Faye was made assistant manager, subsequently shocked by Penelope and Cosette being ready to immediately quit, and insisted Faye be given a chance, because she's not truly aware of how horrible Faye can be to other people, nor why other employees at CoD would find her being (officially) in a position of power off-putting and undesirable.

I also still think that was an eye-opening moment for Dora, a reason why she's lost patience with Faye. Before that, I'm not sure that she really appreciated or understood that not everyone had the same tolerance for Faye that she did, and that some her quirks were that much of a problem for other people. It's understandable on both hers and Hanners parts though, not to mention realistic. When you are friends with a difficult person, and aren't bearing the brunt of their less than admirable traits, you're not truly aware of the extent of them. I think Dora now is, but Hanners isn't, because it's filtered by her history with Faye and the way she's treated by her.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #103 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:32 »

Tomorrow, Station drops a tungsten rod on CoD out of an over abundance of sympathy.  People around the world freak out about AI, leading to a tense standoff and congressional hearings. Beatrice comes up with a dastardly plan to restore faith in AI. Only a few dozen deaths required, and mostly bad people. Hanners finds out about the plan and must choose between protecting her robot friends our saving not so innocent lives.

It's a lot to fit into one strip, but Jeph has it under control.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #104 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:42 »

It's obvious Faye knows she screwed up, but now she's acting like a bitch toward Hanners, and that's not OK. Hanners cares too much about her friends, and for Faye to be talking to her like that makes me irrationally angry. (I'd said in another post that I'd never be friends with Faye in real life, and this is a prime example of why. I hate her personality.) Any anger Faye's got should be self-directed for putting herself in such a position, unhealthy as that may be, but it's clear to me that she's angry with Dora, even if she's not saying it, which isn't fair anyway, since Dora did what any rational, sane boss would've done. Maybe she didn't know how bad Faye's drinking actually was, and never expected Faye to drink herself into the hospital.

That's why I think we're in store for another setback from Faye. I've got a feeling all of her friends doing their best to help her out is going to freak her out and she's going to end up having one more episode before she really, truly realizes what she's doing.

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #105 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:51 »

It's obvious Faye knows she screwed up, but now she's acting like a bitch toward Hanners, and that's not OK. Hanners cares too much about her friends, and for Faye to be talking to her like that makes me irrationally angry. (I'd said in another post that I'd never be friends with Faye in real life, and this is a prime example of why. I hate her personality.) Any anger Faye's got should be self-directed for putting herself in such a position, unhealthy as that may be, but it's clear to me that she's angry with Dora, even if she's not saying it, which isn't fair anyway, since Dora did what any rational, sane boss would've done. Maybe she didn't know how bad Faye's drinking actually was, and never expected Faye to drink herself into the hospital.

That's why I think we're in store for another setback from Faye. I've got a feeling all of her friends doing their best to help her out is going to freak her out and she's going to end up having one more episode before she really, truly realizes what she's doing.

Yeah, this kind of thing is why I felt it was really lousy for Dora to even task her to talk to Faye about the insurance to begin with. Faye has always been a temperamental type of person. I'm sure coming off drinking doesn't make her any more pleasant—though it was a surprise how compliant she was with everyone who was helping her at the hospital.

The one good thing out of it is it sounds like she's done with CoD. Time for character growth!

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #106 on: 02 Feb 2015, 20:54 »

Looks like Faye lied to her doctors about what's going on, because if she responded truthfully to a basic history regarding alcohol use, she would be getting admitted a psych ward.

Nope, that is not the way that works, at all.  Believe me, I've been the accompanying party at the ER before, usually they just get a talking to followed by a referral before they're discharged.
Affirmative.  I can confirm as the accompanying party that blowing a .41 on arrival the second time in a month you drink yourself into a hospital is not enough to get you committed.  Going home and immediately taking all of the pills they gave you for the withdrawal symptoms at once and washing them down with a fifth of vodka is, though.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 02 Feb 2015, 21:14 »

Yeah, this kind of thing is why I felt it was really lousy for Dora to even task her to talk to Faye about the insurance to begin with. Faye has always been a temperamental type of person. I'm sure coming off drinking doesn't make her any more pleasant—though it was a surprise how compliant she was with everyone who was helping her at the hospital.

The one good thing out of it is it sounds like she's done with CoD. Time for character growth!

I'd imagine the reason she was so compliant's because she wanted to get the hell out of the hospital. She probably didn't say anything about wanting to get out to Marten and Hanners because they'd have taken it the wrong way. (If she would've said something, I'm sure Jeph would've dedicated a strip to it, so she clearly kept that to herself, if that's the case.) And now, with the way she's acting toward Hanners, who did nothing wrong at all and who's now taking the brunt of her anger (as tertiary as it may be at this point), it just seems to me like she's going to have another setback before all's said and done.

I mean, I could be wrong, and I'm probably definitely wrong, but that's just how I see it playing out. I can also still see her going to Sven to get back at Dora for firing her, or some other sort of huge, ridiculous falling-out scenario between Faye and Dora.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #108 on: 02 Feb 2015, 21:19 »

It's an interesting feeling, realising you are sad because someone broke up with a coffee shop.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #109 on: 02 Feb 2015, 21:38 »

I'd imagine the reason she was so compliant's because she wanted to get the hell out of the hospital. She probably didn't say anything about wanting to get out to Marten and Hanners because they'd have taken it the wrong way.....

I mean, I could be wrong, and I'm probably definitely wrong, but that's just how I see it playing out. I can also still see her going to Sven to get back at Dora for firing her, or some other sort of huge, ridiculous falling-out scenario between Faye and Dora.

All that and she may also have another fifth or two hidden around the apartment that she didn't tell Marten about. I could be wrong about that as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't - Faye's compliance is really suspicious to me.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #110 on: 02 Feb 2015, 21:41 »

I don't think Faye is being a bitch to Hanners. I mean, Faye isn't being all sunshine, but who would be in this situation. She needs to be firm about not crawling back to Dora. No matter how much pressure their respective friends put on them to reconcile and make "everything just like it was before".

I think both Dora and Faye realize that that chapter in their lives and their friendship is over. I'm not saying that they won't eventually work things out and become friends again, but I don't think it will be an easy thing.

kyraeus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 02 Feb 2015, 22:33 »

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I think ybtlamw had it more or less on the head up above.  Faye's reaction and expressions in the first, third, and final panels pretty much speak volumes to me that not only is she kinda being shitty towards Hanners who is, let's face it, probably the ONLY person who WON'T judge her overly harshly for what just happened... She's pretty much writing off Dora, who just reacted EXTREMELY well for the situation as well. 

I'm not saying I expected it to go back to business as usual, that kinda wasn't an option, really.  But for her to have that final reaction to Hanners.. It's kinda like she suddenly just lost all respect and/or tolerance of the people she calls friends.  It seems like not only is she NOT ready to grow, but she's pretty much in a tailspin just waiting for terminal velocity to wake up half drunk in a trailer park somewhere in a really bad situation, IF she wakes up at all.  All the progress she seemed to be making on the face of things with being social and NOT being shitty towards others is pretty much gone.  If you can treat someone like Hanners, who wants nothing more than to see everyone happy, like crap.. well... not much else needs to be said.

kyraeus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #112 on: 02 Feb 2015, 22:37 »

Actually, I should qualify that.  I don't think she ever really WILL realize what she's doing at this rate.  I'm honestly questioning whether she'll be able to not only avoid rationalizing her attitude and actions, but realize that she's been pretty much nothing but a gigantic bitch to.. well, pretty much everyone at some point or another in a big way.

And even if she does..  Well, it'd be a pretty huge revelation, and frankly if I was in her shoes, I'd probably crawl into a hole somewhere and never come back out, rather than feeling like I could EVER make amends for what's gone down.  I really actually hope to see some dialogue between herself and her mom about this, but I doubt that would ever happen, and if so, I don't see her mom being the guiding force in her life she really seems to need right now.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #113 on: 02 Feb 2015, 22:57 »

I think capping off the "we quit!" moment for Dora was the strip a few days later, when Faye suggests hiring Dale because he looks like a wimp. I thought the Wtf?? Moment for Dora then was that  Faye legit didn't care how much her coworkers disliked working with her.

SmilingHobo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #114 on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:02 »

I think Faye is just cranky/in a bad mood, and understandably so. She's lost her job and her boyfriend, and now she has to quit drinking cold turkey. It doesn't justify her being curt with Hanners, but I think everyone has been in a bad mood and behaved similarly at some point in their lives. She's acting like a human being...the less pleasant side of that humanity is on display now, but I wouldn't be so quick to demonize Faye.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #115 on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:08 »

Welcome, new people!

Faye has confronted herself about her dealings with others but it doesn't seem to have made a lasting impression.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #116 on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:20 »

I don't know, it seemed Faye felt genuinely sad and remorseful in panel 2 and trying to hide it in the other panels. She knows she screwed up, although humans are allowed to screw up(and AIs). If she does return to work she'd be Dora's slave for a long while. As I remember CoD needs someone with Faye's personality as that was CoD's appeal. As for trust issues, usually an apology goes a long way, but it might not cut it for now.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #117 on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:34 »

Poor Hanners! Poor Faye too, because how are you supposed to say 'no' to a face like that? This is the moment when Faye realises that her actions do not occur in a vacuum - they also affect everyone around her. I don't think that she always appreciates that.

I think that Hannelore is afraid that this is a precursor to losing Faye as a friend, as ridiculous as that seems. She needs reassurance that change =/= loss which, ironically, is also one of Faye's fears. I've got a feeling that Faye, who likely expected to have them counselling her, will end up counselling Hanners and gain an epiphany in the process. My guess is that Marten will return on Friday to find them hugging and crying.

Yeah, I think that Hannelore will need reassurance so badly that she'll think about Faye's germs later!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #118 on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:50 »

Hanners is probably the most empathic character in the QC 'verse.  Marten, and Momo probably follow, though due to various reasons, they aren't as aware. 

And yeah, that look she has makes one want to give her a great big hug, except for the fact that she'd freak-out.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #119 on: 03 Feb 2015, 00:08 »

Poor Hanners! Poor Faye too, because how are you supposed to say 'no' to a face like that? This is the moment when Faye realises that her actions do not occur in a vacuum - they also affect everyone around her. I don't think that she always appreciates that.
I do not think Faye intended to be mean towards Hanners, as suggested by some. But she had to stop Hanners from believing she could go back to CoD. Faye genuinely likes Hanners, and is well aware of Hanners' vulnerabilities, but sometimes things have to be told.

Faye has probably started thinking how this is going to affect her. In particular, her loss of income. This is enough to put anyone in a bad mood, so I do not really blame her for appearing less than happy. On the other hand, with Hanners reacting like this, I guess Faye will try to cheer up a bit. I guess the Hanners-Faye-Marten(-Sam?) interactions will be interesting in the days ahead of us.

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #120 on: 03 Feb 2015, 00:22 »

It's definitely good that Faye recognizes that she has a problem, rather than denying it as she has in the past. However, with the level of self-loathing she seems to be displaying in this strip, it seems like she's going too far in the other direction. Hopefully seeing how what she's saying hurts Hanners will make her realize that.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #121 on: 03 Feb 2015, 02:08 »

It's kind of interesting how our experiences shape what we see - I was thinking about the before-last comic and Marten offering up to clean out Faye's booze.

I thought that was pretty much an overreaction - yeah, Faye shouldn't drink right now, but it's not as if she must be treated like a little child. The only way that she could be in any way functioning in society, around her friends, is a healthy relationship with alcohol. No matter if that means drinking in moderation or not at all. If she doesn't want to drink at all, she should clean out her booze herself. If she hasn't made a decision and just wants to keep on drinking, Marten's cleaning up of the place won't help at all since she can just get more (even in the same house - Marten's got booze, Ellen and Natasha (if they still live there) too, and Hanners has got an extremely organised place and a love for martinis.

Also: poor Hanners. Faye's really in a bad mood (understandable) and is trying to keep it in, but her success is debatable. I like how she doesn't touch Hanners with kid's gloves though - she won't tell lies or white lies (she could just say 'maybe' and have Hanners of her back)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #122 on: 03 Feb 2015, 02:15 »

Removing liquor from the apartment is more symbolic than practical, I agree. However, it does have one practical aspect: By removing all booze that is within easy reach, Marten is making it impossible for Faye to drink passively. If she wants alcohol, she's going to have to persuade someone to give her some and go out and buy some. Making such an active choice is harder and imposes upon Faye the chance to think about what she's doing.

It's far from foolproof, of course, but it is a checkpoint of sorts.
~~~~

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 03 Feb 2015, 02:25 »

I agree, cleaning out the apartment at all probably isn't the worst idea if Faye feels it necessary. Then she should do it herself, though, because just lying to marten and not telling him about every stash would enable her to drink 'passively', too. That's what I meant in not treating her like a child - she's an adult.

I just thought Marten offering was very weird.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #124 on: 03 Feb 2015, 03:09 »

maybe Hannelore has a secret [...] (e.g.: "Dale... I'm... I'm pregnant!").

with Marigold!

ASB84

« Reply #125 on: 03 Feb 2015, 03:16 »

Conservation of detail means we're coming into the conversation part of the way through. It's likely that the possibility of removing all the booze from the apartment was brought up and agreed upon prior to the part of the conversation we're privy to.

I don't know about that. Her reaction to Hanners passing on Dora's message was at worst delivered a bit sarcastically. What made Faye snap at Hanners wasn't the delivery of Dora's message about the insurance, but Hanners pushing the issue of her being able to get her job back, which seems like a conversation that likely would've happened regardless.

I think capping off the "we quit!" moment for Dora was the strip a few days later, when Faye suggests hiring Dale because he looks like a wimp. I thought the Wtf?? Moment for Dora then was that  Faye legit didn't care how much her coworkers disliked working with her.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #126 on: 03 Feb 2015, 03:25 »

with Marigold!

So a plot roughly similar to Heinlein's ''All You Zombies'', involving time-travel and Beatice Chatham being the future Marigold (perhaps with the help of cosmetic surgery).

Meh.... I've heard worse.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #127 on: 03 Feb 2015, 04:19 »

with Marigold!

So a plot roughly similar to Heinlein's ''All You Zombies'', involving time-travel and Beatice Chatham being the future Marigold (perhaps with the help of cosmetic surgery).

FWIW, my headcanon has long been that Hannelore is Beatrice's clone with genetic and cybernetic upgrades to make her 'perfect'. Unfortunately, neither Dr E-C nor Ms C considered whether this tinkering would have unplanned consequences on how the child's brain would develop; Hannelore's menagerie of mental health issues is the direct result.

I have got a fan-fiction semi-planned out in my head where it turns out that Hannelore could, potentially, be a sort of super-woman given her combined 'Woman-plus' genetics and 'The Bionic Woman' upgrades but she simply isn't that sort of personality. She may have the potential strength to bench-press an SUV but she would never want to cause a fuss by doing something like that. Besides, the underside of cars are dirty; she wouldn't want to touch that! :laugh:
~~~~

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #128 on: 03 Feb 2015, 05:06 »

Faye has a long way to go.  One of the hardest moments in recovery is the one where you realize that even though you're not drinking, your problems are still there, including the one where you're still kind of fucked up and need to work on that.

Jays

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #129 on: 03 Feb 2015, 05:23 »

I'm not the biggest fan of Faye either, but I'm a little perplexed by the hate from the last few panels.

Maybe it's the sort of friends I have myself (sarcastic and a little cynical :) ) but I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the conversation in the newest one. If anything, Faye seemed a bit gentler than usual ("Not like I didn't deserve it" instead of something more sarcastic or bitter.)

And frankly, Hanners tearing up irritated me a bit too. It's not about HER, it's about Faye, and when you're struggling to come to grips with something, the last thing you need is someone trying to set that back.

(Disclosure: I just lost my job of 17 years when the company closed our office. People from the other local offices, many of whom were sort-of friends of mine, would come in and say "We're so SORRY" and maybe get a little teary and it drove me NUTS. One, this isn't about you, you're not losing your job; two, we're all coming to grips with this ourselves, and when you come in and just remind us how YOU still have a job and how awful it all is, you really don't help. Unfair, maybe, but true.

I try, far more than Faye seems to, to be a kind, patient, empathetic person. And yet, I was right there with Faye on that last statement. (Although I probably would have kept it internal. Probably.) She doesn't need to have to reassure sad Hanners, she has her own shit to deal with.

I know many people love Hanners and hate Faye, and it's really coming across strong here. And I don't see why.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #130 on: 03 Feb 2015, 05:29 »

Jays, thanks for putting my thoughts into words.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #131 on: 03 Feb 2015, 05:30 »

And frankly, Hanners tearing up irritated me a bit too. It's not about HER, it's about Faye, and when you're struggling to come to grips with something, the last thing you need is someone trying to set that back.

I would have liked to see Hannelore trying to hide her reaction, to try to focus on Faye's situation. But she IS entitled to a reaction.
What do you know about Pokémon?

shrike1978

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #132 on: 03 Feb 2015, 06:01 »

I gotta jump in as well and wonder about the people who say Faye is being mean to Hannelore or "taking it out on her."  I don't see it at all.  Faye is being the realist, taking responsibility for her actions and stating things as they are.  She's not directing anything at Hannelore that Hannelore didn't interject herself into.  I'm not a big Faye fan, but if anything it's Hannelore that is out of line in this one.  I know that Hanners isn't very socially aware, but you can't expect anyone in Faye's current frame of mind to react with tact, and if anything, this a good lesson for Hannelore, who has almost certainly never had to deal with anything like this before.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #133 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:03 »

I gotta jump in as well and wonder about the people who say Faye is being mean to Hannelore or "taking it out on her."  I don't see it at all.  Faye is being the realist, taking responsibility for her actions and stating things as they are.  She's not directing anything at Hannelore that Hannelore didn't interject herself into.  I'm not a big Faye fan, but if anything it's Hannelore that is out of line in this one.  I know that Hanners isn't very socially aware, but you can't expect anyone in Faye's current frame of mind to react with tact, and if anything, this a good lesson for Hannelore, who has almost certainly never had to deal with anything like this before.
Exactly. Hanners is getting better every day, but still has a way to go regarding her response to harsh realities. Nobody wants to hurt Hanners, but she has to face facts when needed. Faye is not in the best mood, but all things considered, I think her behavior towards Hanners is friendly enough.

With several people in the Forum disliking or hating Faye, I think it is time for a Faye fan club. Faye is my favorite character, and always has been. Of course, her physical appearance may play a role here. I tend to agree with Sven (see my sig below).

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #134 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:04 »

So are you all this binary and unforgiving in your real-life relationships?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #135 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:05 »

The WCDT, where being human, or well, anything short of a perfect moral robot, will get a character criticized.

Seriously. She is in a bad mood, and she is being grumpy. I would be in a bad mood and grumpy in that situation, too. And she isn't attacking Hanners at all, she is just stating what she thinks in a grumpy tone.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #136 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:27 »

Yes, +1 what Jays said as well.

Bologna

• Plantmonster
« Reply #137 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:28 »

I'm chalking it all up to how much time one can spend twiddling their thumbs over such things.

There's only so much you can fit into one day's comic.  If that's all you have to work with, it's gonna be picked apart until it's bone dry.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #138 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:34 »

It was very kind of Dora to hold off for the insurance. I may be projecting, but perhaps Faye is reacting sarcastically because someone who she has just treated badly is now doing her a favour. It may be highlighting just how badly she screwed up, so she reacted with sarcasm as a sort of buffer. Gratitude can be intertwined with guilt very easily, especially if the recipient doesn't feel they deserve it.

As for treating Hannelore badly..I don't see it. Faye's a bit cantankerous, but she didn't say anything that didn't need to be said.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 03 Feb 2015, 07:39 »

As for treating Hannelore badly..I don't see it. Faye's a bit cantankerous, but she didn't say anything that didn't need to be said.

I said this in my comment above but I think Hannelore isn't upset at Faye's words but upset at the thought of Faye being around less in her day-to-day life. She enjoys interacting with Faye at CoD and losing that is losing a special part of her social interactions. Faye's final comment wasn't disgust and it wasn't anger, IMO, it was a sort of disbelief that things had escalated so quickly.

As I said, Faye's going to try to talk sense into Hannelore and end up touching on her own issues completely by chance. In all probability, the two of them will end up a hugging, blubbering mess because of the strength of the bottled-up emotion they'd just let out.
~~~~

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce
« Reply #140 on: 03 Feb 2015, 08:09 »

with Marigold!

FWIW, my headcanon has long been that Hannelore is Beatrice's clone with genetic and cybernetic upgrades to make her 'perfect'. Unfortunately, neither Dr E-C nor Ms C considered whether this tinkering would have unplanned consequences on how the child's brain would develop; Hannelore's menagerie of mental health issues is the direct result.

I have got a fan-fiction semi-planned out in my head where it turns out that Hannelore could, potentially, be a sort of super-woman given her combined 'Woman-plus' genetics and 'The Bionic Woman' upgrades but she simply isn't that sort of personality. She may have the potential strength to bench-press an SUV but she would never want to cause a fuss by doing something like that. Besides, the underside of cars are dirty; she wouldn't want to touch that! :laugh:

It's scary how plausible this is.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 03 Feb 2015, 08:18 »

"Quote from BenRG"

Hadn't we already established that BenRG was Jeph's mind? That's my headcanon at least.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #142 on: 03 Feb 2015, 08:35 »

The problem with headcanons is that you keep getting your mind blown. 

:angel:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #143 on: 03 Feb 2015, 10:48 »

Oblig.

“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #144 on: 03 Feb 2015, 11:45 »

I think that strip's partly how DSL's avatar came about.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #145 on: 03 Feb 2015, 11:48 »

IIRC, that xkcd strip was after DSL got his avatar.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #146 on: 03 Feb 2015, 11:59 »

A boosted Hannelore would explain some incidents where she's moved faster than anyone expected.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #147 on: 03 Feb 2015, 12:49 »

Seriously. She is in a bad mood, and she is being grumpy.

And very possibly in a fair amount of physical pain as well.

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #148 on: 03 Feb 2015, 12:55 »

I know many people love Hanners and hate Faye, and it's really coming across strong here. And I don't see why.

Because Hanners is innocent, naive and somewhat childlike.

Understand, I'm not in the "hate Faye" contingent. I totally get where she is. She's so miserable she's snapping at HANNELORE, and that's got to be pretty danged miserable.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #149 on: 03 Feb 2015, 13:59 »

That makes her sound sort of like a QC version of Sylia Stingray.  (The 2032 version.  I watched I think a grand total of two episodes of 2040 before bailing.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22   Go Up