THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Clairepocalypse How?

Turns up and tells Faye she'll fight her to protect Marten from her!
At the Library, insists on routing all conversation with Marten through Faye
Toe-curling unconvincing attempt at persuading Marten she has a 'more important' person too
Writes depressing music about abandonment that is later a hit for Deathmole
Pretends it never happened and then bursts into tears at random intervals
Turns up and is mean to Faye who (surprisingly) bursts into tears and confesses all her dark history

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2976-2980 (8 - 12 June 2015)  (Read 24886 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT 2976-2980 (8 - 12 June 2015)
« Reply #50 on: 08 Jun 2015, 15:44 »

I think today's strip clearly shows that faye's drinking is not a problem and that her trip to the hospital was entirely due to her housemate's huge over reaction.
Regardless of the need or otherwise to take Faye to the ER (and it was a sensible precaution IMHO), the fact that she could not get through a working day without drinking, and thus got herself fired from her job, is evidence enough that she has a drinking problem.

Speaking for myself: I've been in enough hospitals to understand that the hospitals are in it for the money.
I don't know where you live, but in Australia, this is not true of public hospitals, which are generally the only ones that offer ER facilities. I work at a large public teaching hospital (in IT not medical services), and in my observation, the main non-medical preoccupation is shortage of beds. Patients presenting at the ER with serious conditions often spend hours lying on gurneys while the hospital administration scratches around to find beds for them. The hospital absolutely sends home anyone from ER that it thinks it can get away with.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #51 on: 08 Jun 2015, 16:44 »

Radium_Coyote is from Nevada, according to the profile, and the trend in the US has been toward for-profit hospitals.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #52 on: 08 Jun 2015, 18:46 »

Australia has universal healthcare, according to Wikipedia, and all the evil, deadly things according to the internet.

I am in no way surprised to hear their hospitals are overflowing
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #53 on: 08 Jun 2015, 21:47 »

So, when Faye punched Marten in the hospital, did that hit a switch in Marten's brain? Was his overflow of confidence simply stuck, and that punch was like the Fonz smacking a jukebox?

[Note: MrNumbers does not and never will endorse "Punch To The Head" as an effective alternative to psychiatry. Unless it's, like, really good fruit punch.]
oh god

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #54 on: 08 Jun 2015, 21:53 »

It might have been cheap whiskey (is it whiskey? the bottle shop montage implied it was clear...), but she didn't even finish half the bottle and has a headache. I think Faye is losing her ability to handle booze as 'easily' as she once did. Not such a bad result considering.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #55 on: 08 Jun 2015, 22:13 »

It is good that Marten stuck to his guns this time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 08 Jun 2015, 22:43 »

Is Pintsize still in the freezer?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 08 Jun 2015, 23:13 »

Wow...! Faye is about to start crying! From such simple words too! Of course 'I'm your friend' is the hardest thing for her to believe right now and she needs to hear him say it. A nice response to the 'doormat Marten' claims and proof that strength and mildness are not incompatible. You don't need abusive language or violence to be strong.

FWIW, I think that, whilst they need the coffee (all three are for Faye, whether or not Claire realises it), most of sending Claire to the kitchen is so Faye is free to express her emotions without her fear of being vulnerable in front of a near stranger getting in the way.

Is Pintsize still in the freezer?

It's the best place for him right now. We might get an interlude of him and Claire talking more openly whilst Marten is focussed on Faye and thus unable to loom.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #58 on: 08 Jun 2015, 23:22 »

I really want to see Claire finding Pintsize in the freezer with him just in there chilling.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #59 on: 09 Jun 2015, 00:13 »

Intervention and it feels so good. :clairedoge:
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2015, 00:51 by Mordhaus »

Schwungrad

« Reply #60 on: 09 Jun 2015, 02:14 »

[Note: MrNumbers does not and never will endorse "Punch To The Head" as an effective alternative to psychiatry. Unless it's, like, really good fruit punch.]
But what about a boot to the head?

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #61 on: 09 Jun 2015, 05:13 »

Someone suggested that May should become Faye's caretaker, and the more I read of this arc, the more I like that idea. She needs someone around the whole time to stop her from doing stupid things, and right now the only one that could fit that role is May. Pintsize (or Winslow) could fit the bill if he was upgraded to a big chassis, but I don't see Marten running around with that kind of money needed to buy a new chassis. Not to mention the mischief Pintsize could create if he had opposing thumbs. Actually, Winslow might be up for the task if Hannelore can spare him for a while. She at least should be able to afford a chassis upgrade for him.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #62 on: 09 Jun 2015, 05:31 »

You're suggesting the foulmouthed, aggressive ex-convict as the alcoholic's caretaker?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 09 Jun 2015, 05:38 »

You're suggesting the foulmouthed, aggressive ex-convict as the alcoholic's caretaker?

May has hidden depths and a good side to her; the way she interacts with those she adjudges her 'friends' is proof enough of that. More importantly, she is an aggressive enough personality that Faye wouldn't be able to dominate or intimidate her. The real question is whether she would be willing to take the job. If she did, then I, for one, would expect her to be conscientious about it. That seems to be a universal QC-verse AI personality trait.
~~~~

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jun 2015, 05:45 »

At this point, I assume Pintsize has a small couch, TV, and possibly a mini-fridge INSIDE the freezer for his sojourns there.  Half of his acting out is to justify getting away from all the drama to chill in his personal sanctum sanctorum.

"Oh no, I've been bad again, please, whatever you do, PLEASE don't put me in the briar patch freezer again."

Also, when he gets bored, he puts on stunning productions of "Ice Cube Theater."  They recently completed a sixty five show run of "Man of La Mancha."  The muleteers were played by Pizza Rolls.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #65 on: 09 Jun 2015, 05:46 »

I'm guessing Claire is going to have some sort of important insight into this upcoming scene, but otherwise she seems like a weird addition. I only say that because it seems like the strip is gearing up for some difficult and personal discussions that don't really involve her at all outside of Marten's availability due to taking care of Faye. Maybe she'll be comic relief (or just relief) like she is in this strip.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #66 on: 09 Jun 2015, 06:26 »

May has hidden depths and a good side to her; the way she interacts with those she adjudges her 'friends' is proof enough of that. More importantly, she is an aggressive enough personality that Faye wouldn't be able to dominate or intimidate her. The real question is whether she would be willing to take the job. If she did, then I, for one, would expect her to be conscientious about it. That seems to be a universal QC-verse AI personality trait.

I still don't agree with that - she generally seems to lack particularly good impulse control, and impulse control is the exact thing that someone acting as, say, an unofficial sponsor for an alcoholic should have.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #67 on: 09 Jun 2015, 06:59 »

I can back up Akima's statement that in Australia hospitals aren't in it for the money and the biggest preoccupation is finding beds. In my state there has been an ongoing scandal about ambulances having to spend ages in waiting areas with patients inside because the hospital can't find a bed for them. The public ones tend to be the only ones who offer ER facilities as private hospitals cater to all the people who want to schedule their operations rather than come whenever a theatre and team become available. I'm afraid the more I learn about America's healthcare, the more grateful I am that I'm Australian.

I'll be curious as to how this plays out. Faye is not very good at confronting conversations and tends to avoid them (usually with threats of violence). I consider it part of the reason her and Angus broke up. She just didn't want to have a conversation of how frightened she was of a long distance relationship, so she just kept telling Angus what he wanted to hear. In todays comic, when she said in panel two that she fucked up and has gotta try not to fuck up again she lacked credibility. Faye gave me the impression more of someone who was telling the other person what they wanted to hear for her own convenience as opposed to someone who sincerely and completely believes they have made a mistake and wants to try to never make the mistake again.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #68 on: 09 Jun 2015, 07:33 »

Even in the US, there are hospitals who happily take people who have no means of paying.  One of the psych hospitals I have been in not only tells patients to "not worry about the money", but they will allow otherwise homeless patients to stay as long as they need, whilst the social workers get them transitional housing.  Sure, there are probably subsidies involved, but still, relieving the whole money problem can be really helpful.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #69 on: 09 Jun 2015, 07:52 »

It´s nice to see Marten showing some spine and standing up to Faye. And he reached her emotionally, wich is of cause very promising.

I think we´re in for some important talking here. Jeph ist taking a lot of time to prepare the setup before Fayes issues are actually dealt with. This indicates further that we´re in for some heavy stuff. Does anyone here not think about #500-509 "The Talk"? I´m more and more curious where he will take us from here on.
(Maybe three episodes of Yelling Bird vs. Sweet Tits.  :-D )

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #70 on: 09 Jun 2015, 07:55 »

I really want to see Claire finding Pintsize in the freezer with him just in there chilling.

"S'up?"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #71 on: 09 Jun 2015, 07:58 »

I'm usually supportive of the idea of May helping Faye out.. but there is one thing that she lacks to make a decent care taker or sponsor, and that is a sense of compassion towards others. Sure May will be good at telling Faye when she is being stupid, and will stand up to her when she needs it. But she'll also do it in an argumentative and dismissive way. Which if Faye knows she did wrong will get her to do the whole evasion/back down routine. But at other times will be like trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it. Sometimes Faye is going to need a person to listen and be sympathetic if she's going to make any progress.

She especially needs to talk to someone about the break up with Angus and get her to start thinking about the fact that just because she didn't want to move with him doesn't make her a bad girlfriend, or a bad person. Which is I think the core of why she has been drinking lately. She's been stewing in her own abandonment issues, societal expectations about romantic partners and her feeling that because she didn't want to relocate when Angus got his dream job that she is a horrible person and a failure. All that she's been doing since then, avoiding talking about it with her friends, trying to stay drunk so she doesn't have to think or feel about it. Until she addresses that core problem I don't think she's going to improve. Marten may be able to get her to open up about it.. Doctor Corrine is probably a better choice.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #72 on: 09 Jun 2015, 09:35 »

I don't know that a pro is a better choice, here.

Faye = Dose not want to talk. That she is going to talk could lead to a good place or backfire, spectacularly.

Marten is not pushing the issue, though. so that's good. His statements are objectively true. And he didn't lay on a guilt trip or a threat. There's a danger that "I'm not going to let you push me away," could escalate there, but here's the critical thing as to why I don't think this is job for a pro: Faye's choice not to escalate seems to be tied to the fact that Marten hit the spot. She probably has a lot of reasons to want to force an end to the evening, but she knows that she is pushing Marten away.

I'd argue the possibility that she was accepting that pushing him away was a consequence of her actions, but I don't think and unintended consequence would trigger tears, drunk-ish or not. Marten made her face up to the fact that part of her is trying to break up the team. That Marten isn't going to take that lying down probably creates a lot of emotional dissonance, given the fact that she doesn't like herself much right now, and has unresolved issues about how she has always treated Marten a little less well that he's treated her.

She needs pro help. No question. But this is a breakthrough moment, at least vis-a-vis her value to Marten or to herself.

Sometimes you have to seize the moment. It's not something I'd see as a solution, but it's an important first step that I don't think Faye is capable of taking with someone who isn't a friend. As much as Faye connects with the extended cast, the people she trusts implicitly are Marten and Dora, full stop. I really don't think Dora is an option, nor do I think she will easily reach the point where she's willing to admit that she's risking more than she wants to loose if the opportunity is passed up now.

Pro help is the best long term option, but I think there no chance of her seeking the best if she doesn't grab the lifeline Marten just threw her.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #73 on: 09 Jun 2015, 11:33 »

Whats that? You should have quoted the original instead of the animated ripoff of The Frantics - Last Will and Temperment
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #74 on: 09 Jun 2015, 13:29 »

Faye's expression in today's strip are heart-breaking.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #75 on: 09 Jun 2015, 16:47 »

This will either be a good thing or a complete disaster

I hope it's the former.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Jimington

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #76 on: 09 Jun 2015, 19:09 »

Ugh: Two things have happened recently IMO:

First: The inclusion of Claire--she is a massive sook. Everything is dramatic. I can only hope this blows up massively so that Marten comes to his senses and realizes that.

Second: Classic Marten! After being a giant douche about Faye relapsing, and installing himself on the usual Marten Reed soapbox, in 2977 he finds a way to make it all about him.

Second hypothesis: for strip 3000 Jeph does us a favor--Claire and Marten f-f-f-f-fly away and the comic can go back to the amazing and complex characters that have been lost for this annoying little tangent.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #77 on: 09 Jun 2015, 19:23 »

How the hell is Marten making it all about him? It's about Faye, and he's making Faye look at herself and realize that she needs more help than she's admitting.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #78 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:06 »

Well done, Claire.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HannahRose

• Plantmonster
« Reply #79 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:06 »

Ugh: Two things have happened recently IMO:

First: The inclusion of Claire--she is a massive sook. Everything is dramatic. I can only hope this blows up massively so that Marten comes to his senses and realizes that.

Second: Classic Marten! After being a giant douche about Faye relapsing, and installing himself on the usual Marten Reed soapbox, in 2977 he finds a way to make it all about him.

Second hypothesis: for strip 3000 Jeph does us a favor--Claire and Marten f-f-f-f-fly away and the comic can go back to the amazing and complex characters that have been lost for this annoying little tangent.

What comic are you reading? lol

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #80 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:13 »

Pleasantly surprised by Claire's reaction/actions in this strip. It might come back later when she's alone in bed and overthinking (don't we all?) but ultimately, she's shown herself to be a great fit for Marten.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #81 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:19 »

The Claireface in panel 3 is probably one of her most adorable expressions since her introduction to this strip.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #82 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:26 »

I love Faye's coffee cup.  Has it turned up before?

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #83 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:30 »

The cup is super cool. Cheshire Cat goodness.

As for Claire sticking around, I guess that takes care of that. It still kind of sticks out as a weird diversion but whatever, we're about to get into the intense stuff.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:31 »

Whats that? You should have quoted the original instead of the animated ripoff of The Frantics - Last Will and Temperment

No love for Ti Kwan Leep ?

Also, I love how natural Claire's body language looks in today's comic. Usually she's either slightly stiff looking (when she ran off to buy a fancy dress for the wedding) or her movements are over exaggerated a tiny bit (like in her "I'm helpful" dance)
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2015, 20:48 by SubaruStephen »
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

cabbagehut

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #85 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:38 »

I have to say that this strip softened me a little on Claire.  I'm still not her biggest fan, because I've said before that I find her a bit immature and not that personally interesting, but it was very nice to see that she took consideration of the situation as it is over her initial discomfort, because this is a very serious situation.  Faye needs her friends right now more than ever.  Claire's actions show trust in Marten (and Faye as well), and I think that knowing when it's better for you to be scarce is a very good social skill to have.

Interestingly for me, I looked up what a "sook" was, and the example on Urban Dictionary's top result is: "sam had a sook when claire wouldn't sleep with him."  Claire has a secret life!  That's been the problem this whole time!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #86 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:41 »

Despite what my posts over the last few months might imply, I really like Claire as a character.

However, just as your friend suddenly becomes insufferable when they start dating a new person, I found Claire (and Marten) suddenly insufferable once the relationship began.

Hopefully this comic signifies a turning point.

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #87 on: 09 Jun 2015, 20:58 »

This would have been great for the pun alone.  Claire especially would appreciate.  Alas, it is not to be.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Undrneath

« Reply #88 on: 09 Jun 2015, 21:05 »

I absolutely love Claire in panel 3. She is adorable.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

ASB84

« Reply #89 on: 09 Jun 2015, 21:20 »

Well-handled, Claire.

I agree with everyone who is predicting The Talk Part 2: The Talkening, and that the upcoming 3000th strip does provide a great opportunity for shaking things up even further. I'm enjoying the character development for Marten, and hope that Faye undergoes some as well. On a meta level, I think her character needs it to remain fresh and sympathetic, but strictly talking in-universe, observing these people from behind the fourth wall as if they were real...well, she still really needs it. It's not like these issues can be dealt with in a finger-snap, but not only is she still reaching for the bottle, she's still defaulting to threats and abrasiveness to get things done. The night in ER highlighted the problems with the former, but the latter is still a big issue, too.

On the other hand, this is also a prime opportunity for Jeph to troll everyone with a bunch of beat panels before Faye asks "We good?" and Marten replies "We good", and then that's that...but I'm guessing he'll avoid that temptation. ;)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #90 on: 09 Jun 2015, 21:27 »

The Talk 2: Talk Harder

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jimington

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #91 on: 09 Jun 2015, 21:36 »

Despite what my posts over the last few months might imply, I really like Claire as a character.

However, just as your friend suddenly becomes insufferable when they start dating a new person, I found Claire (and Marten) suddenly insufferable once the relationship began.

Hopefully this comic signifies a turning point.

Agree--Claire was great fun a quirky addition. However once they have started dating, Marten has become very 'me' centered (can't be bothered digging up the # but Mom moves in and it's "hey, by the way I'm dating someone" and then in 2977 it's "we have to talk about this" "I'm not letting you push me away" and going WAYY too hard on Faye for relapsing). Ok: he is just trying to help, but he is trying to help in his usual way: Overbearing and rarely listening.

In response to 'chaospersonified': Not trolling--frustrated (admittedly poorly). And yes I know it is Marten's story and the main character isn't going to 'take a wing'. Go back to Claire's performance review: it's somehow a massive problem that she actually has made great serendipitous connections and her superiors are relaxed and gentle employees. Honestly, boo hoo. What did she want? A glowing 10 page precis? There's 'wanting to be a professional' and 'not understanding that other people have ways and means of doing their work' that might be effective given their circumstances. And then her first reaction to Marten wishing to support a friend (really, who hasn't been in that position of having to say to a new partner "hey, my buddy is going through some stuff and I really need to support them tonight"?). Reacting that poorly because you suspect that they are being unfaithful? That's your problem, not theirs.

Having said all of that: today (2978) she actually responded well. Let's hope that she doesn't have to have Faye threaten her to do that every time or we're in for a long summer (winter for me).

Very interested to see how this 'talk' goes. Will Faye actually get to say her piece or is it going to be all 'advice'?

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #92 on: 09 Jun 2015, 22:00 »

Jimington, my response was largely due to the unfounded statements claiming a friend recognizing another friend has a problem, and calling them on it, is them 'standing on a soapbox.' If calling your friends out on messing things up that could ruin their lives makes you a douche, then call me a fucking pressure washer, and my friends as well, because I don't think much of enablers. He's not 'making everything about himself,' he's literally doing everything he can to help her, a job description that includes ruining her buzz.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 09 Jun 2015, 23:06 »

Firstly, I think that Claire is making the right call here. I certainly understand her desire not to be a third wheel in what is likely to be a very intimate and personal conversation; she likely doesn't feel comfortable with being stuck in the middle of that.

Secondly, I think it's kind of funny the way, in panel 4, Faye and Claire talk over Marten. "Hang on, women talking here, boyo!"

Finally... Is it me or does Jeph particularly like doing portraits of Claire? He does seem to go the extra mile or so to put in detail and flesh out her anatomy and body shape. I'm thinking particularly of panel 1 in today' strip.

P.S.: Where did Faye get that mug? Not just the size but the smiley kitty decoration! I'd really like to have something like that! :-D
~~~~

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #94 on: 09 Jun 2015, 23:15 »

Well played, Claire.
Trust in Marten.
Considering others over herself.
Good judgment of what's needed.

And extracting a promise that her boyfriend will be returned to her undamaged.
She belongs to him. He belongs to her. A matched set, in case that wasn't obvious.

Well done, Jeph.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #95 on: 09 Jun 2015, 23:51 »

So, does that mean that they won't have to go to the Ellicot-Chatham home for orphaned drumsticks?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #96 on: 10 Jun 2015, 00:26 »

Things get funky when the mug goes invisible and there's just Coffee floating in midair grinning at you.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #97 on: 10 Jun 2015, 00:27 »

Hey, so, good Claire, but...

From a narrative standpoint, Claire's involvement in the scene at all has brought this to a standstill.

What has Claire's involvement brought except to remind as that Claireton is a thing?

I'd have much preferred Claire never made that phone call, and we spent a few more panels of just Marten and Faye hashing this out. The phone call, Faye calling back, Claire arriving and now her unceremonious departure... four of five strips Claire's arrival has done nothing to advance the plot, the characters, nothing.

The argument that this is a thing that would happen in real life is irrelevant, because this isn't a real life, it's a narrative. Introducing and then sweeping off a character using this much "screentime" without a real... significance at such a dramatic moment is very poor form.
oh god

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #98 on: 10 Jun 2015, 00:56 »

I agree there was no need for claire to be involved in this weeks strips but it is good to see her putting her own insecurities on the back burner to allow marten some time with faye.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #99 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:21 »

What has Claire's involvement brought except to remind as that Claireton is a thing?

Directly? Probably not too much. Indirectly I think a few things. Faye got a ton of points from me for calling back Claire and clearing things up. She made a effort to take responsibility and not drag down Marten with her. Even though she was kinda crude about it I'm pretty shocked that she got a negative reaction from a few people for that.

Claire's showing some trust leaving Marten with a drunk girl who's going to be sobbing in his arms, making a love triangle redo less likely.

And we're a baby step closer to Faye and Claire getting along.

I dub this phantom love triangle 'White August Reeds.'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up