THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 02:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's Your current favourite QC story arc?

Bubbles and Faye trying to help eachother heal
Renee and Brun - Odd Couples Don't Get Odder!
Brun Rebuilding Her Life
Clinton and Claire trying to rebuild a few burned bridges
Dora trying to persuade Hanners and Emily to actually WORK (Barn fart! Baaarrrnnn fffaaarrrt!)
Clinton and Brun's incomplete business

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)  (Read 39495 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)
« Reply #100 on: 16 Aug 2016, 20:31 »

>I am a juvenile Corrections Officer

You seemed pretty mature to me ...

*snerk*

I know, I'm easily amused.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #101 on: 16 Aug 2016, 21:05 »

With some coaxing and a resolute seamstress I could see her in 1890's masque ball finery, china mask, black lace bonnet, silk gloves et al...

First I wanted to see Bubbles in a tux. Now I want her to have her own dress montage.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #102 on: 16 Aug 2016, 21:12 »

>I am a juvenile Corrections Officer

You seemed pretty mature to me ...

Ba-dum-bump. :P ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Phaedrus_schmaedrus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #103 on: 16 Aug 2016, 22:10 »

Croissants are really good. Everyone can agree on that. The important question is: are croissants the best pastry?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #104 on: 16 Aug 2016, 22:17 »

With some coaxing and a resolute seamstress I could see her in 1890's masque ball finery, china mask, black lace bonnet, silk gloves et al...

First I wanted to see Bubbles in a tux. Now I want her to have her own dress montage.

If you mean this, then yes, this must happen.

Croissants are really good. Everyone can agree on that. The important question is: are croissants the best pastry?

Excellent question.

I do not think there is a best pastry, because all people and all moods demand different pastries.

Now I've got that waffle* out of the way, I think it should be clear to every one that, actually, the kouign amann is the best pastry.

Because butter.

And canelés are the best pastry for people with far too much time on their hands (or who know someone else who does and is actually willing to part with one for a lot of money).

But if you exclude sometimes foods, croissants are definitely the best pastry.

* I don't think waffles are a pastry.

P.S. Bugger, now I am hungry.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #105 on: 16 Aug 2016, 23:21 »

Wow! I could never eat that many croissants in one sitting! The pastry is too dry; my mouth would end up like it was made of sandpaper! Still, Brun definitely likes this part of Renee's cooking skills, even if she's no fan of the presentation end of her casseroles!

Meanwhile, we learn that Brun is a devotee of the Ruby Rose school of eating baked goods!

Hrm... 'toasty'. I can't help but wonder if this is the first time in a long time that Brun has eaten some decent, fresh food. Maybe the old boss didn't pay very well or maybe she just wasn't all that good at feeding herself. However, her expectations do seem to have been more like: "Yay, more throw-out stuff for breakfast." I might be reading too much into it but I'm thinking that the destruction of the bar may yet turn out to be a serious blessing for her.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #106 on: 16 Aug 2016, 23:34 »

Random thought 1: We haven't heard about Margold and Dale in a while, I feel: pregnancy scare.

You know, in over 3000 entries I feel like that topic is long overdue. As long as it doesn't end in loss.jpg 2016, we could have a good arc on our hands. With so many characters to dwell on, a baby wouldn't necessarily derail any progression in the overall comic.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #107 on: 17 Aug 2016, 01:53 »

If your croissant is dry, it was made with insufficient butter. I don't think I could eat a dozen either though, because they are so rich.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #108 on: 17 Aug 2016, 02:04 »

Random thought 1: We haven't heard about Margold and Dale in a while, I feel: pregnancy scare.

You know, in over 3000 entries I feel like that topic is long overdue. As long as it doesn't end in loss.jpg 2016, we could have a good arc on our hands. With so many characters to dwell on, a baby wouldn't necessarily derail any progression in the overall comic.

FWIW, I always got the impression that Jeph wasn't so much opposed to the idea as much as he felt that he couldn't write or draw a baby character in any way that avoided self-parody. However now he has a baby relative on the way (a niece or nephew; I don't think that's been publicly confirmed) he might have a different mindset and approach. QC has enough autobiographical elements that I could see him inserting a secondary-level character pairing (such as, say, Dale and Marigold) having a child just to reflect his own experience of unclehood.

Whether that happens? Well, that's up to him, isn't it?
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #109 on: 17 Aug 2016, 03:51 »

I would also add that she seemingly devoured a dozen croissants in such a short amount of time without any beverage on hand.  That's quite a feat!  Sometimes I forget to take a sip of my coffee after eating my toast, but I could never get through that many pastries without a drink. 

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #110 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:13 »

I would also add that she seemingly devoured a dozen croissants in such a short amount of time without any beverage on hand.  That's quite a feat!

If there is one word I could use for Brun, it would be 'focused.'
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #111 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:40 »

Think we can be reasonably confident that Brun is not suffering from Hannelore's eating problem...

I'm sure there's a deliberate contrast there, even if I have no idea where it will go.

Now all I have to do is persuade myself I don't need the croissant that I seem to have a sudden urge for...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #112 on: 17 Aug 2016, 05:47 »

Think we can be reasonably confident that Brun is not suffering from Hannelore's eating problem...

I'm sure there's a deliberate contrast there, even if I have no idea where it will go.

A possible future strip where Brun is sitting opposite Hannelore and coaching her on how to eat pastries without using your hands (a skill that Hannelore wants to learn for a variety of reasons, most of them hygienic)?
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #113 on: 17 Aug 2016, 08:02 »

I get the feeling that Brun didn't so much eat the croissants, as that she inhaled them.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #114 on: 17 Aug 2016, 08:08 »

FWIW, I always got the impression that Jeph wasn't so much opposed to the idea as much as he felt that he couldn't write or draw a baby character in any way that avoided self-parody. However now he has a baby relative on the way (a niece or nephew; I don't think that's been publicly confirmed) he might have a different mindset and approach. QC has enough autobiographical elements that I could see him inserting a secondary-level character pairing (such as, say, Dale and Marigold) having a child just to reflect his own experience of unclehood.

Whether that happens? Well, that's up to him, isn't it?

Babies are tricky to fit into a long-form narrative that hasn't had them before. Part of this is that real babies take a long time to develop any sort of individual agency, so their impact on storylines is kind of like a boat anchor. And even once they start being individuals, it's often kind of cutesy in a way that wouldn't fit with a story form hitherto dedicated to at-least-somewhat adult issues.

I could see a pregnancy scare for Dale and Marigold working with the fact that they (especially Marigold) are not at all ready for parenthood. We could see them wrestle with issues relating to their passage to adulthood, but at this point I think the only real choice would be for them to terminate the pregnancy. Not sure how you'd generate punchlines out of that, but if anybody could do it it'd be Jeph.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #115 on: 17 Aug 2016, 08:24 »

And here I thought that marigold gave birth to a baby Hanners
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #116 on: 17 Aug 2016, 11:29 »

The croissants I usually end up getting, even if very fresh, are low on the butter content BUT I make up for that with the following.
Split horizontally, place on a pizza pan, grate a firm cheese on the open faces then place in either oven or BBQ [house AC can't handle the oven in summer]
Once the cheese is melty but before the pastry starts to darken I drop finely sliced double smoked pork loin on top and leave just long enough to have the pastry brown nicely and the meat warm up.
Close and eat while warm. [insert homerjsimpson arglbargle]

Note, I use one of several varieties of non-creamy goat cheeses due to my lactose issue.
Also hard aged cheeses, which I dont have the lactose problem with,  don't go all melty before the pastry gets too brown and crispy or black and ashy.

My favorite baked good is still hands down an authentic Pączki aka krepel aka Polish Doughnuts though Krapfen aka Berliners come in as a close substitute.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #117 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:29 »

anyone else getting a new look to the site, sort of a plain look? I guess Jeph's working on the look+feel?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #118 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:35 »

Ugh, ruining perfectly good baked goods with animal carcass. Sacrilege.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #119 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:37 »

anyone else getting a new look to the site, sort of a plain look? I guess Jeph's working on the look+feel?

Yup, getting it here too. The forum link will be much easier to click if if stays like this; it used to be too small and surrounded by false targets.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #120 on: 17 Aug 2016, 12:58 »

Idk, I had taco ingredients (beef, onions, peppers) shoved into croissants yesterday and it was pretty good. Although, I think my intestines hate me right.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #121 on: 17 Aug 2016, 13:16 »

Idk, I had taco ingredients (beef, onions, peppers) shoved into croissants yesterday and it was pretty good. Although, I think my intestines hate me right.

To be fair, I consider animal carcass to ruin everything it touches. Personal bias. The onions and peppers sound pretty tasty though. Roasted red peppers and grilled onions would be pretty awesome in a pastry.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #122 on: 17 Aug 2016, 13:22 »

Beans or lentils may also work as a beef substitute in what I had. Most of the flavor comes from the peppers and spices.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #123 on: 17 Aug 2016, 14:05 »

With some coaxing and a resolute seamstress I could see her in 1890's masque ball finery, china mask, black lace bonnet, silk gloves et al, rendering patrons assistance when not standing by the end of the bar, silently watching and observing.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d3/6b/73/d36b734b19a746b6ade3df42b64722b5.jpg
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #124 on: 17 Aug 2016, 15:36 »

Was wondering if something was broken, everything on it seems wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 17 Aug 2016, 15:57 »

So, it would appear that we have found a relative of Cookie Monster - Brun, the Croissant Monster  ;D

I was wondering if there'd been a change to the Front Page of the Comic.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #126 on: 17 Aug 2016, 16:33 »

Yay, Renée!

I love the smell of croissants in the morning --- it smells like ... VICTORY!

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Clubman8

• Plantmonster
  • Probably will never post enough to seem not new.
« Reply #127 on: 17 Aug 2016, 16:39 »

Yup, getting it here too. The forum link will be much easier to click if if stays like this; it used to be too small and surrounded by false targets.

Whatever happened, it totally destroyed mobile. http://m.imgur.com/BxKVeYI,sLl0pQy

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #128 on: 17 Aug 2016, 16:47 »

When I looked on mobile earlier, the comic was squished to the size of the browser.

Fair play to Jeph. It's not the first time he's edited the live site and it's always a ride from this side of the screen.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #129 on: 17 Aug 2016, 18:51 »

New comic...

"I was pissed off about my mom last wee."

That sounds like something to be careful about being pissed off about. If you're not careful, urine trouble.  :clairedoge:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #130 on: 17 Aug 2016, 19:14 »

Well. That settles that bit of speculation. I'm excited to see what happens next for Elliot and or Brun

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #131 on: 17 Aug 2016, 19:49 »

Elliot = dog personality.

Renee= cat (obviously)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Phaedrus_schmaedrus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #132 on: 17 Aug 2016, 20:07 »

seconded; savory pastries are underrated.

not so fancy, but a brazilian place in town sells these little cheese buns, where the cheese is somehow baked into the bread (?!). they're just perfect little bites of hot flaky bread and cheese, and i could probably eat a bag of them.

quick google search for "brazilian cheese buns" yields this: http://www.oliviascuisine.com/authentic-brazilian-cheese-bread/

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #133 on: 17 Aug 2016, 20:31 »

I love savoury pastry, though I strongly disagree that they are underrated. I would cite, for example, the popularity of meat pies and pasties.

However, the whole premise of the croissant is that it be buttery and flaky. Any croissant that has had some kind of filling shoved into it, in my experience, is inevitably stodgy.

Stodgy croissants are the worst pastry. If I can't get one fresh from a good bakery, then I'd rather have something else. Yes, you can call me a snob if you want.  :roll:

For some reason, ham and cheese croissants are popular in Sydney. FSM knows why.

Breaking: chouquettes may actually be the best pastry. I need to make some soon.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2016, 20:38 by Tova »

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #134 on: 17 Aug 2016, 21:22 »

It seems like Renee craves validation, but on her terms only.  Brun devours an entire bag of her croissants in record time, but she's irked because she didn't get a verbal compliment about her it.  Now she's complaining about not getting a pat on the head even though Elliot listened to her complaining about her Mom and when he offers to do so belatedly she refuses. 

mad hands murphy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #135 on: 17 Aug 2016, 21:46 »

Renee is just super pushy all the time isn't she.

She's like neo Dora now that Dora is on her journey of self-discovery.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #136 on: 17 Aug 2016, 22:12 »

It seems like Renee craves validation, but on her terms only.  Brun devours an entire bag of her croissants in record time, but she's irked because she didn't get a verbal compliment about her it.  Now she's complaining about not getting a pat on the head even though Elliot listened to her complaining about her Mom and when he offers to do so belatedly she refuses.

If you take another look at the last two panels, you will see that she was not, in fact, complaining about not getting a pat on the head. That was only the way Elliot interpreted it*. She's trying to imply that Elliot wants to pat Brun on the head because he has a crush on her.

Now I've gone and explained the joke again. Sorry.

* Not only Ellliot, I guess.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #137 on: 17 Aug 2016, 22:38 »

The new page design needs styling. At the moment you have lots of loose type on white, with no structure to help organize it. A few tint boxes and/or rules in the right places would make it much more appealing.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #138 on: 17 Aug 2016, 23:13 »

So... Basically, what we're learning here is that Elliott has no real ability to express himself with women nor any instinct for it... at all. He also has a huge reserve of denial about his emotions and whether or not he is attracted to someone.

Actually, he is more like Marten than I thought. Indeed, it's as if Jeph took early model Marten's inability to deal with attractive women as anything other than sisters and turned it up to eleven!

FWIW, the main page is offline right now, although the archive page for the strip is up. Jeph's last Tweet was that he had been playing a video game and it left him unable to sleep so he might be working on the formatting of the new page design software a bit more. Aaannnd, just to screw with me, the main page starts working immediately after I post!
~~~~

carnex

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #139 on: 17 Aug 2016, 23:19 »

If you take another look at the last two panels, you will see that she was not, in fact, complaining about not getting a pat on the head. That was only the way Elliot interpreted it*. She's trying to imply that Elliot wants to pat Brun on the head because he has a crush on her.

If you take another look at it you can see her nearly equating her being pissed of at her mother to her friend losing her job, stuff and roof over head. That is textbook definition of unhealthily self centered. Even if it was to make a point on big guy not accepting his feelings, it's way, WAY to much.

And she didn't even refuse pat politely, she is drawn with clearly disgusted expresion. That drives the point even further.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #140 on: 17 Aug 2016, 23:31 »

Well, Renee's not crazily protective about Brun's romantic life. She didn't seem unhappy with the idea of Elliot crushing on her precious vulnerable friend until he tried to muss up her carefully crafted hairstyle.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #141 on: 17 Aug 2016, 23:31 »

Another minor thing from this strip: Some eagle-eyed readers have noticed that the doors in Northampton tend to magically raise themselves to the height of the most vertically-exaggerated characters, such as Bubbles and Elliott. Well, no longer! We can definitely see today that Elliott has to duck when entering The Secret Bakery unless he wants to ANH-Stormtrooper Blooper his forehead on the crossbeam!
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #142 on: 17 Aug 2016, 23:37 »

If you take another look at it you can see her nearly equating her being pissed of at her mother to her friend losing her job, stuff and roof over head. That is textbook definition of unhealthily self centered. Even if it was to make a point on big guy not accepting his feelings, it's way, WAY to much.

And she didn't even refuse pat politely, she is drawn with clearly disgusted expresion. That drives the point even further.

Why is this directed at me? My post had nothing to do with whether she is self-centered or not. It was specifically in response to someone claiming she wanted a pat on the head, which was a misinterpretation.

Having said that, I don't think she is actually equating the things you think she's equating. She's trying to prove to Elliot that he has a crush, that's all. Probably misguidedly.

I have no comment on whether she is self-centered.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #143 on: 18 Aug 2016, 03:11 »

Idk if it's self centered to give your friend fresh pastries....

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 18 Aug 2016, 03:30 »

It is self-centred if it's done so with the implicit assumption that you'll get some ego-stroking thanks and praise for doing so. I'm not saying that this was Renee's motive but clearly a lot of people do think that.

To me, the big joke in today's comic is that Elliott is so desperate to deny that he's attracted to Brun in any way that he's proposing to engage in an entirely inappropriately intimate behaviour with Renee so as to try to prove to himself that what he wants to do with Brun is nothing indicative of attraction. I can't exactly blame her for being freaked out by this.
~~~~

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #145 on: 18 Aug 2016, 03:45 »

I think she might have wanted to both be nice and show off a little; it's fun to bring your friend to work and show them the things you're good at, especially when it's food related and especially when it's a part of your world you don't normally get to share because of scheduling.

I also think Renee's teasing backfired with Elliot; she wanted to tease him about his crush, not get a head pat!

(Tho im curious what she was upset about re: her mom. If she's reverse Faye, I wonder how she's "lost" that parent? Drugs, maybe?)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #146 on: 18 Aug 2016, 04:15 »

The art today is nice, especially the angle in panel 2.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #147 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:15 »

A thought occurred to me. This is the first time we've seen someone show romantic interest in Brun. Look back through Clinton's interactions with her; there's concern, banter, friendship but no sign of romance. Granted, the situation was rather...fraught...but even when he's talking to Claire afterwards, there aren't any hints at romantic attraction.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #148 on: 18 Aug 2016, 05:18 »

Reading others' interpretations of a comic is endlessly fascinating. You don't realise you're even making assumptions until you see someone else's.

It is self-centred if it's done so with the implicit assumption that you'll get some ego-stroking thanks and praise for doing so. I'm not saying that this was Renee's motive but clearly a lot of people do think that.

To me, the big joke in today's comic is that Elliott is so desperate to deny that he's attracted to Brun in any way that he's proposing to engage in an entirely inappropriately intimate behaviour with Renee so as to try to prove to himself that what he wants to do with Brun is nothing indicative of attraction. I can't exactly blame her for being freaked out by this.

I don't even have time to describe how differently I saw the exact same scene.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #149 on: 18 Aug 2016, 07:01 »

"entirely inappropriately intimate behaviour"

...you got that from a friendly head pat?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up