THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's Your current favourite QC story arc?

Bubbles and Faye trying to help eachother heal
Renee and Brun - Odd Couples Don't Get Odder!
Brun Rebuilding Her Life
Clinton and Claire trying to rebuild a few burned bridges
Dora trying to persuade Hanners and Emily to actually WORK (Barn fart! Baaarrrnnn fffaaarrrt!)
Clinton and Brun's incomplete business

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)  (Read 39155 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)
« Reply #200 on: 20 Aug 2016, 18:10 »

Or Jeph could continue his trajectory of offering female characters whose role in the plot does not hinge on their romantic entanglements.

Also,  Renee already has dated Angus in the past and their breakup was *not*pretty.   (IIRC his flatmates played "Ding dong the witch is dead" after they split)
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #201 on: 20 Aug 2016, 18:13 »

As hilarious as the whole "who is this guy, he looks like Marten but he has a spine" jokes are, I am wondering for how many months and years we need to see them posted before people finally start to reassess that premise as well.

Actually, my joke was about how long it's been since we saw him.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #202 on: 20 Aug 2016, 18:28 »

Or Jeph could continue his trajectory of offering female characters whose role in the plot does not hinge on their romantic entanglements.

Even the lack of entanglement can be an entanglement in and of itself.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #203 on: 20 Aug 2016, 20:31 »

Seriously, how do comic characters manage to be condescending and drink their beverages at the same time? Same thing I regularly see on Two Guys and Guy. It's a skill that would greatly enhance my own moments of condescendence (given that most of them happen with a coffee mug handy)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #204 on: 20 Aug 2016, 20:56 »

As hilarious as the whole "who is this guy, he looks like Marten but he has a spine" jokes are, I am wondering for how many months and years we need to see them posted before people finally start to reassess that premise as well.

Actually, my joke was about how long it's been since we saw him.

Ah, okay. Yeah, fifteen comics is a long time.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #205 on: 20 Aug 2016, 23:10 »

Seriously, how do comic characters manage to be condescending and drink their beverages at the same time?

It's a learned survival skill that you develop if you go to the old-style Coffee of Doom enough times.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #206 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:59 »

Even more prestigious now that it's a feat of strength.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #207 on: 21 Aug 2016, 10:29 »

Seriously, how do comic characters manage to be condescending and drink their beverages at the same time? Same thing I regularly see on Two Guys and Guy. It's a skill that would greatly enhance my own moments of condescendence (given that most of them happen with a coffee mug handy)

Think of it as them saying the condescending comment and then punctuating it with a sip from their drink.

Which is my own technique. Works very well.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #208 on: 21 Aug 2016, 11:52 »

It's the eyes, and the eyebrows. Step one: Make scathing rebuttal. Must be short and succinct. Step two: Sip your beverage with slightly narrowed eyes, keeping eye contact. Raised brow(s) for extra impact. This communicates to your target your complete self-assurance in putting them in their place. You are basically indicating to them that what you have said is so beyond reproach that they have no possible reasonable counter-point, and the discussion has ended. In short, it's like a mic drop. Except that dropping a cup of coffee would be much messier.

As far as "Marten is no longer spineless" goes.. It is true, to a point. He is not feeling secure in himself and his place in the world. He has a girlfriend who is his equal and they can verbally spar without hurt feelings because if something does bother one, they talk it out. One of them doesn't fly off the handle. Marten has a history of surrounding himself with strong-willed women. Being raised by Veronica no doubt plays part in that. In his relationships with Faye, Dora and Padma he was always walking on eggshells. Saying the wrong thing to Faye or Dora has blown up in his face many timed. Padma he didn't want to deal with the issues head on, because he knew it was a temporary relationship from the start, and he hated that he got so invested so quickly knowing how it was going to end.

Now Faye and Marten have settled their relationship as best friends and nothing more. There is still tension there at times. But Marten knows that saying the wrong thing won't drive her away. Something he's always been afraid of. When one of them pushes the other hard, they both know that it's because they are concerned and care for each other. Even if they don't feel that in the moment, they know it's not going to break their relationship. His relationship with Dora has become better as just friends as well. Both of them were in a poor state of mental health when they were dating, and have taken steps to address that since the break up. And in fair part, because of the break up. Dora has been working on her paranoia and control issues. Marten has stopped using avoidance as his main means of dealing with conflicts with others. Which is where the 'spineless Marten' meme comes from.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #209 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:57 »

Poll Results!

1. Bubbles and Faye trying to help eachother heal - 22 (40%)
2. Clinton and Brun's incomplete business - 14 (25.5%)
3. Brun Rebuilding Her Life - 9 (16.4%)
4. Dora trying to persuade Hanners and Emily to actually WORK (Barn fart! Baaarrrnnn fffaaarrrt!) - 7 (12.7%)
5. Renee and Brun - Odd Couples Don't Get Odder! - 2 (3.6%)
6. Clinton and Claire trying to rebuild a few burned bridges - 1 (1.8%)

Hmm... Big margin of victory this week! I think that the admins should consider renaming this the 'Official Faybles Board'! :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up