THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's Your current favourite QC story arc?

Bubbles and Faye trying to help eachother heal
Renee and Brun - Odd Couples Don't Get Odder!
Brun Rebuilding Her Life
Clinton and Claire trying to rebuild a few burned bridges
Dora trying to persuade Hanners and Emily to actually WORK (Barn fart! Baaarrrnnn fffaaarrrt!)
Clinton and Brun's incomplete business

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)  (Read 39707 times)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
Re: WCDT Strips 3286 to 3290 (15-19 August 2016)
« Reply #50 on: 15 Aug 2016, 20:00 »

More Brün. And Yay! more Elliott.

You break the bottle on something else first.

(I love "Kiki's Delivery Service". I always tear up at the credits.)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #51 on: 15 Aug 2016, 20:27 »

Elliott's so nice. I really don't want to have him get another crush that doesn't work out because he's not a main character.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #52 on: 15 Aug 2016, 20:36 »

Brun in a tuxedo is nice.

Awsyme

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #53 on: 15 Aug 2016, 21:24 »

Elliott's so nice. I really don't want to have him get another crush that doesn't work out because he's not a main character.

Although in a few pages he seems, er, a better fit for her than clinton.  Sorry Clinton.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #54 on: 15 Aug 2016, 21:30 »

It's "Brun." It wasn't because he's not a main character. There's no reason to imagine that an apology to Clinton is necessary or even wanted.

In that order. I'm sure you can work out the rest.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #55 on: 15 Aug 2016, 22:57 »

It occurs to me that Bubbles and Elliott would make a pretty darn intimidating pair of bouncers.  I'm not sure how Bubbles would feel about being considered "scary' though. 
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #56 on: 15 Aug 2016, 23:03 »

Not to mention dressing fancy.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #57 on: 15 Aug 2016, 23:06 »

I love fancy suits so much that all my fallout 4 companions wear tuxedos.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #58 on: 15 Aug 2016, 23:15 »

Just noticed the title of today's strip, "Are You Being Served?". Could it be that Jeph is a fan of old britcoms? I know I am, I just finished watching an old one called "Grace And Favour" the other day. Or as it was known in the US, "Are You Being Served, Again?"
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #59 on: 15 Aug 2016, 23:28 »

What that facial expression means, Brun, is that Elliot suspects that you, in period costume suited to The Horrible Revelation, would probably look quite attractive. You are entirely at liberty to be as flattered or disturbed by this fact as you choose to be. Jeph definitely has decided to stir the pot here by having a few characters show personal interest in Brun. Does it still violate the shipping rules when Jeph is as explicit about it as he is here? :wink:

It occurs to me that Bubbles and Elliott would make a pretty darn intimidating pair of bouncers.  I'm not sure how Bubbles would feel about being considered "scary' though. 

Bubbles has already told Faye that she is aware that some people find her intimidating. I don't think that she would be happy having a job where being scary was a key aspect of her duties. That said, I am sure that she knows how to use her sheer physical presence to deter aggression if needed to avoid violence.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #60 on: 15 Aug 2016, 23:34 »

She looks good in a Suit

And I think it means Elliott thinks you would look good in a Suit.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #61 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:02 »

Sounds like that "door" flew off it's hinges.

Mayhap it may even have suffered defenestration.
Yay! ^-^
I'm not the only person who says "mayhap".
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

oddtail

« Reply #62 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:33 »

It's not always a great idea. Bottles do not break that easily on hard surfaces, either, and if you strike something with the bottle with enough force, you are likely to get fingers full of broken glass rather than anything usable as a weapon. And/or the bottle just shatters completely and you're not left with anything you can easily hold.

From what I know, it's possible to break a bottle without hurting yourself, but it's tricky. Also, an unbroken bottle is a pretty good weapon in itself, anyway. It's basically a club, and clubs can deliver more injury than most people think.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:43 »

This may just be me but I can't help but wonder how often Brun has to say "I don't know how to interpret that facial expression."

On first read-through, it's an innocent punchline in response to Elliot's very obvious trip away to a happy place. However, on second thoughts, you can't help but realise that it gives an insight into just how difficult Brun must find interacting with new people sometimes. It must be hard to have to navigate a world full of road-signs (body language, some of it subconscious and facial expressions) that are effectively written in a language that she barely understands at all.
~~~~

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #64 on: 16 Aug 2016, 01:49 »

It's not always a great idea. Bottles do not break that easily on hard surfaces, either, and if you strike something with the bottle with enough force, you are likely to get fingers full of broken glass rather than anything usable as a weapon. And/or the bottle just shatters completely and you're not left with anything you can easily hold.

From what I know, it's possible to break a bottle without hurting yourself, but it's tricky. Also, an unbroken bottle is a pretty good weapon in itself, anyway. It's basically a club, and clubs can deliver more injury than most people think.

Personally, I think it makes you slower and more predictable (you're going to overhand or swing it). Against people who haven't been in any fights? Fine, they may not get that. But, a bouncer is going to be just fine (or, based on what that job entails, should be).

A club or bat has the added benefit of being longer; a bottle, while giving you an extra 6 inches or so, isn't long enough to remove the fact that it's a piss poor weapon against anyone who knows anything about self defense.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

heyjames4

« Reply #65 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:12 »

1. Did Elliot accidentally kill a man last night?
2. Is he trying to flirt with Brun?
Either or both of those would be interesting.

Dizrupt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #66 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:22 »

Presence, Dialogue, Control Alternatives, Protective Alternatives, and... Deadly Force.

Sometimes you have to escalate.
Finally registered after years of lurking to comment on this:

As someone who lives in a country where not even police carry firearms(excluding the AOS*), where deadly force is only to be used reactively as a last resort to protect life, I'm experiencing major culture shock reading this.
Especially as we are talking about a Bouncer aka Security Officer aka Private citizen, the idea of deadly force even being on the table caught me off guard.

Not trying to start a shitstorm regarding different countries laws and gun culture, just thought it was worth commenting how strange it was reading that from my perspective.

*AOS or Armed Offenders Squad is basically the New Zealand equivalent of SWAT

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #67 on: 16 Aug 2016, 02:22 »

1. Did Elliot accidentally kill a man last night?

I think that's a bit too dark for QC. However, I can see him having put some permanent dents and corners into parts of the drunken brawler that weren't previously present.

2. Is he trying to flirt with Brun?

Elliott isn't the flirting sort. He's more the 'he worshipped her from afar although she never knew it' sort of guy. He already lost one girl because of his inability to express his feelings.
~~~~

heyjames4

« Reply #68 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:26 »

Eliot did pedestalize Parma from afar. And that didn't work out. Maybe he's changed since then. Personal growth is a big deal in QC.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #69 on: 16 Aug 2016, 03:43 »

Although in a few pages he seems, er, a better fit for her than clinton.  Sorry Clinton.

It really all depends on Brun.  Elliot may be interested, but unless Brun reciprocates it's just another unrequited crush.  With Clinton she did seem interested.  Not infatuated, but interested. 

That being said it would be nice if something worked out for Elliot. 

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #70 on: 16 Aug 2016, 04:43 »

Agreed. I like Elliot A LOT better than I like Clinton. The big guy has shown his greatness several times, and deserves some happy times.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #71 on: 16 Aug 2016, 05:36 »

It would indeed.  Because that would be a welcome change from reality.  I know far too many Elliotts things haven't worked out for.  Some are even still alive.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2016, 05:49 by Mr. Skawronska »
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #72 on: 16 Aug 2016, 06:19 »

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the Horrible Revelation has a human bouncer at all? It seems like one area where AIs have the clear edge.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #73 on: 16 Aug 2016, 06:58 »

My guess would be that AIs might disrupt the intended "old timey" ambiance of the place.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

oddtail

« Reply #74 on: 16 Aug 2016, 07:00 »

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that the Horrible Revelation has a human bouncer at all? It seems like one area where AIs have the clear edge.

It's been shown that there is some anti-AI prejudice and even people who do not openly antagonize AIs are likely to be at least a little uncomfortable around them. An AI bouncer would certainly have a very high intimidation factor, but would also make at least some people very uncomfortable. A bouncer who physically looks tough but friendly is a better choice in many situations, and I assume some people would just be afraid of *any* AI bouncer, even if that fear'd be irrational.

Plus, AIs might be unwilling to be bouncers in the first place, because they might have issues with using physical violence against people, worried about being labelled as "violent" or "dangerous" or whatever. And the ones less reserved about that... well, might not make great bouncers.

freeman

« Reply #75 on: 16 Aug 2016, 07:08 »

It really all depends on Brun.  Elliot may be interested, but unless Brun reciprocates it's just another unrequited crush.  With Clinton she did seem interested.  Not infatuated, but interested. 

If shipping was allowed, I'd ship Hannelore for Elliot. Firstly because her anxieties would need someone gentle but also manly, secondly: she's a rather tall woman herself.

Random thought 1: We haven't heard about Margold and Dale in a while, I feel: pregnancy scare.

Random thought 2: Cute little love handles on Brun.
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2016, 07:56 by freeman »
Man!

BlueFatima

« Reply #76 on: 16 Aug 2016, 07:34 »

Brun is a really interesting character. When other characters are around her (especially ones who show a potential love interest) their different communication styles become very clear. Clinton is a very verbal person to the point he has trouble reading others. Elliot is much more of a quiet body language person. I'm actually lucky to be married to someone like that. We've taught one another so much with our different communication styles. Perhaps (if there was shipping allowed) the best pair would actually be Clinton and Elliott. I'm completely joking of course. It is really neat, though, to see how different they are—as well as other characters who speak with Brun.

freeman

« Reply #77 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:02 »

(if there was shipping allowed)

It's not explicitly banned (I checked the rules), but I've been around long enough to know that it's heavily frowned upon. "Only canon pairings", or something like that. Apparently there used to be some really big shipping flame feasts some years ago.

Also, anything "creepy" may get removed.
Man!

Eternal_Newbie

« Reply #78 on: 16 Aug 2016, 08:49 »

The Shipping Wars almost got the forums closed down, so we tend to avoid the subject
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #79 on: 16 Aug 2016, 09:13 »

I think a wise policy is that it's probably ok if the characters mention it first.
Sounds like that "door" flew off it's hinges.

Mayhap it may even have suffered defenestration.
Yay! ^-^
I'm not the only person who says "mayhap".
I say mayhaps, is that close enough? Mayhap sounds odd, you wouldn't say perhap, would you?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #80 on: 16 Aug 2016, 12:45 »

I always thought mayhaps was a portmanteau of maybe and perhaps, which means mayhap and perhap are equally wrong.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #81 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:00 »

Finally registered after years of lurking to comment on this:

As someone who lives in a country where not even police carry firearms(excluding the AOS*), where deadly force is only to be used reactively as a last resort to protect life, I'm experiencing major culture shock reading this. Especially as we are talking about a Bouncer aka Security Officer aka Private citizen, the idea of deadly force even being on the table caught me off guard.

It's not, really.  If anyone in private security uses deadly force against someone who is not threatening lives with deadly force, that private security person is going to jail.  If someone dies as a result, they face murder charges and if the jury does not agree that the use of deadly force was required in the situation, they could go to jail for a very long time. In theory this also applies to police, but in practice police are often acquitted at trial due to the nature of their job when private citizens (including security employees) would not be.  As a private security worker, Elliot might occasionally do someone a serious injury - but if so, and that person chooses to press charges, he will find himself on trial.

As far as the law is concerned in the USA, you ought to be completely safe w/r/t licit use of deadly force in any public space ... until the moment you pick up a weapon and threaten someone's life, or perform some form of physical assault that poses a risk of death to someone. 

Also, while the ownership and use of firearms is a legal right for American citizens, most of us do not own or use them.  In most urban areas, actually carrying a firearm is prohibited, so owning them means keeping them at home and perhaps taking them out to a firing range or hunting occasionally, but if you have one on the street you will get arrested.   I grew up in an area where firearms are tools for hunting, pest control and the defense of livestock from predators.  We all got hunting licenses every year and had documents certifying that we'd been trained on gun safety.  There were a dozen firearms in our house - different types for different purposes.  But now I live in a city and have no use for them so I don't own any.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #82 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:06 »

Mayhap and perhaps both have the same Middle English root, happy, meaning chance/fortune.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #83 on: 16 Aug 2016, 13:34 »

Welcome, Dizrupt!

There's an entire thread somewhere about what people find bizarre about others's countries.

That use of force continuum is accompanied, in training classes, by rules about when you can and cannot escalate. Private security can only use deadly force as a last resort to protect life (or prevent crippling injury) so we're not quite as bizarre as you might have thought.

The legal self-defense doctrines are part of our common heritage from England so they too are likely to make sense to you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #84 on: 16 Aug 2016, 15:49 »

I always thought mayhaps was a portmanteau of maybe and perhaps, which means mayhap and perhap are equally wrong.

So if you really love me, say yes...
But if you don't dear; confess...
And please don't tell me...
Mayhaps, mayhaps, mayhaps…
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #85 on: 16 Aug 2016, 16:08 »

Welcome Dizrupt from a fellow Kiwi  :) 

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #86 on: 16 Aug 2016, 16:39 »

The Shipping Wars almost got the forums closed down, so we tend to avoid the subject

Yeah, I hear UPS and FedEx drivers are some really mean boogers.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #87 on: 16 Aug 2016, 17:13 »

Agreed. I like Elliot A LOT better than I like Clinton. The big guy has shown his greatness several times, and deserves some happy times.

Why pick only one and not both?
I would love to see the dynamic between the awkward duo [trio?] Heck, they two guys may even for a grudging freindship where their common ground is that each actually cares for Brun in their own way?

Bubbles has already told Faye that she is aware that some people find her intimidating. I don't think that she would be happy having a job where being scary was a key aspect of her duties. That said, I am sure that she knows how to use her sheer physical presence to deter aggression if needed to avoid violence.
With some coaxing and a resolute seamstress I could see her in 1890's masque ball finery, china mask, black lace bonnet, silk gloves et al, rendering patrons assistance when not standing by the end of the bar, silently watching and observing.

Oh oh oh - voice changer in the mask to make her sound like a Vorlon would be epic.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #88 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:27 »

comic

So that arc ended rather quickly.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #89 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:29 »

I dunno if I could eat a dozen croissants, but I am totally up for giving it a shot. You know, for science.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #90 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:35 »

With some coaxing and a resolute seamstress I could see her in 1890's masque ball finery, china mask, black lace bonnet, silk gloves et al, rendering patrons assistance when not standing by the end of the bar, silently watching and observing.

Oh oh oh - voice changer in the mask to make her sound like a Vorlon would be epic.

I don't think that its just her appearance that troubles Bubbles (heh), if it were, she could probably upgrade to a civilian chassis, or at least a far less intimidating one. Rather, I believe its the fact that she sees herself as a weapon, or close to one. Putting her into a position where she might have to use violence would be far more detrimental to Bubbles than anything else and we do know that she does have an anger management problem.

And to be fair, any bouncers I've ever met seem to be universally paragons of patience. They need to be. If word gets out that a bouncer beats the crap out of club/bar patrons, then no one is going to want to go there. Likewise I imagine that the anti-AI crowd would have a field day if Bubbles were forced to use her combat skills to eject a drunk or belligerent person from any bar.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #91 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:37 »

Croissants are awesome. I get a bunch from the bakery stands at the farmers' market every time I go.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #92 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:50 »

One of my favourite memories is the time I bit into a croissant expecting it to be a plain one but turned out to be full of chocolate. Simple pleasures.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #93 on: 16 Aug 2016, 18:57 »

Personally I prefer the plain ones. But I'll take a chocolate one, too.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

heyjames4

« Reply #94 on: 16 Aug 2016, 19:00 »

Yes. All the croissants.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #95 on: 16 Aug 2016, 19:26 »

One of my favourite memories is the time I bit into a croissant expecting it to be a plain one but turned out to be full of chocolate. Simple pleasures.

On one trip to Helsinki years ago, I was staying in this hotel and I had a terrible night's sleep. So bleary eyed and confused, my (then) girlfriend suggested we have breakfast at this bakery nearby that makes croissants fresh every morning.

I took one bite and couldn't understand what I was eating (yes, it was that bad a night's sleep). They made their croissants with Aura cheese, a type of blue cheese and reindeer bacon. I don't know if it was my tiredness, the sheer unexpected combination or that it was really tasty, but my mind was kind of blown.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #96 on: 16 Aug 2016, 19:28 »

comic

So that arc ended rather quickly.

COUGH COUGH COUGH
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #97 on: 16 Aug 2016, 19:31 »

Welcome, Dizrupt!

There's an entire thread somewhere about what people find bizarre about others's countries.

That use of force continuum is accompanied, in training classes, by rules about when you can and cannot escalate. Private security can only use deadly force as a last resort to protect life (or prevent crippling injury) so we're not quite as bizarre as you might have thought.

The legal self-defense doctrines are part of our common heritage from England so they too are likely to make sense to you.

And, I should point out, I essentially copied the list from my training manual. (I am a juvenile Corrections Officer *sigh*.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #98 on: 16 Aug 2016, 20:12 »

>I am a juvenile Corrections Officer

You seemed pretty mature to me ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #99 on: 16 Aug 2016, 20:25 »

Lol Poor Renee! She wants compliments with words not croissant devouring!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up