THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Rate The Cutie - What do you think of Tilly?

10 - Best character in the strip to date!
- 1 (1.1%)
9 - Not perfect but is someone doing interesting, useful and funny things
- 1 (1.1%)
8 - They're surprisingly good/funny/interesting
- 5 (5.6%)
7 - There's potential there for doing interesting/useful/funny things in the future
- 27 (30%)
6 - Ho-hum; Jeph needs to try harder if he wants me to be interested in them
- 7 (7.8%)
5 - Indifferent; don't care what happens with them
- 9 (10%)
4 - I really don't get what Jeph sees in them
- 15 (16.7%)
3 - I tend to skip over everything they say and do to focus on other characters
- 2 (2.2%)
2 - I actually get annoyed when they're in panel
- 9 (10%)
1 - You'd be happier if they're never shown again
- 14 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3626 to 3630 (4th to 8th December 2017)  (Read 52974 times)

Schismatism

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: WCDT Strips 3626 to 3630 (4th to 8th December 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 07 Dec 2017, 09:12 »

Ah, quite right, my apologies.  ...but part of me still wants to see the other things happen for some reason.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #201 on: 07 Dec 2017, 10:35 »

Professionally, it's really a strange situation. Tilly is now going to help Hannelore at her work? I can't see how this could be working for Dora...

She could help negotiate with her Dora’s vendors.  She was impressed enough to provisionally lift the death sentence.

It’s a good outfit in an attempt to fit in, but I think I’d want some arm protection if explosions are frequent.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #202 on: 07 Dec 2017, 11:49 »

I have never 180'd on a character so many times in a row before. I can't make up my mind whether I love their absurdity or hate their bizzarness and potentially manipulative behavior. Tilly is really a puzzle.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #203 on: 07 Dec 2017, 11:55 »

Woooha, more Tilly.  :-D

I think their effort to fit in CoD today is a bit over the top, but it's a nice thought. Maybe it's the absurdity of this character that appeals to me. I don't take Tilly too serious, so I can really enjoy them. They are just a comic character after all.
Can't wait for tomorrow to see where Jeph will take this.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #204 on: 07 Dec 2017, 12:31 »

I am definitely intrigued, also to see whether he intends to make Tilly a permanent character.
Chances are that he will, since I don't think he has ever put so much ongoing emphasis on a new character without eventual permanence. Only example of the latter that I can think of would be creepybot.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #205 on: 07 Dec 2017, 12:36 »

Woooha, more Tilly.  :-D

I think their effort to fit in CoD today is a bit over the top, but it's a nice thought. Maybe it's the absurdity of this character that appeals to me. I don't take Tilly too serious, so I can really enjoy them. They are just a comic character after all.
Can't wait for tomorrow to see where Jeph will take this.

TM

Comedy is pain, and Tilly is an unending source of it so far.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #206 on: 07 Dec 2017, 17:11 »

Tilly's outfit is not your typical coffee shop outfit, but then again, CoD is not your typical coffee shop.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #207 on: 07 Dec 2017, 20:33 »

So, anyway, I've been thinking on 'what is Tilly's role' and I think that today's strip actually answers that question.

Tilly's attempt at 'casual clothing' today is so strange and ill-fitting in so many ways that I'm suspecting that Jeph created her to be an 'Alien Amongst Us', someone whose social instincts and prior normal cultural background is so different from that of the regular cast that we can learn more about them by seeing them through their puzzled eyes.
Wait a minute, that would mean that Brontdyn Birch is really
(click to show/hide)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #208 on: 07 Dec 2017, 21:34 »

Bottom line: don't be so quick to airily dismiss the opinions of an entire community. Especially the community whose existence helps to ensure that you can continue to read and discuss the very comic we're all enjoying.
But I find it disturbing how recent society polarises itself so readily and so vehemently on so many topics, to the detriment of its own good, and this is such a good mirror of that.

This extreme polarization on pretty much any topic is nowhere happening as badly as in the US though, undoubtedly a side effect of the fact that there are really only 2 parties (which I have always found a dubious system as a native Dutchman).
To be honest, US society is already in a (not so) civil war, and so far nobody is "winning" (maybe extreme conservative Christians and big corporations?) and everybody is losing.

Edit: edited as I realized I didn't even believe it myself to be true...

Social engineering, methinks.

And, let's be honest, a quick read of the red part of the Christian Bible would indicate that there should be quotation marks around the word; extreme conservative "christians".
There's a lot of tenets being ignored there. Some quick examples:
Matthew 7:1-5
Romans 12:18
Galatians  3:28

For those curious, I'd recommend The Complete Jewish Bible translation as it's translated directly from Greek to Modern English (it's meant for both Messianic Jewish and Christian services).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #209 on: 07 Dec 2017, 22:10 »

I find the whole pronoun business becomes much easier if I just close my eyes and imagine Tilly with two heads. I believe that Jeph has been drawing Tilly obsessively (like Claire before she came into the comic) so we are stuck with them for the indefinite future. What I have against Tilly is that they are sucking the narrativium out of more worthy characters.

"Hello, Allosaurus-for-Rent? I have a job for you..."
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #210 on: 07 Dec 2017, 23:31 »

What I have against Tilly is that they are sucking the narrativium out of more worthy characters.

Yep. Much of my dislike for the character might fade away if all this was going on in the background. But they've dominated the entire plot for weeks, when there are so many more established characters I'd prefer to be checking in on. It's like when some stranger begs your attention in the street and you can't shake them off. If they're annoying to start with, it's exacerbated when you've got somewhere else you'd really rather be.

Aside: been a while since I was awake early enough for the comic not to have updated yet.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #211 on: 08 Dec 2017, 00:22 »

I find it odd how many people are saying their dislike of Tilly is largely due to comics about her not involving other members of the cast, as if that has any impact on the character or the arc.

I'd like to see more of Faye & Bubbles' relationship development to find out where it ends up going, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to judge the rest of the cast by "are they Faye & Bubbles' relationship?" That would be just plain Tilly silly.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #212 on: 08 Dec 2017, 00:25 »

I find it odd how many people are saying their dislike of Tilly is largely due to comics about her not involving other members of the cast, as if that has any impact on the character or the arc.

Why is it odd? If I went to see a band and they spent half their set playing slow ballads instead of the usual fast, fun tunes I like them for, does that have no impact on my enjoyment of the concert?

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #213 on: 08 Dec 2017, 00:31 »

Why is it odd? If I went to see a band and they spent half their set playing slow ballads instead of the usual fast, fun tunes I like them for, does that have no impact on my enjoyment of the concert?

That's not the same thing? It's the same band, just different music.

This would be like deciding the opening act is bad just because their existence means you have to wait a little longer to hear the band you really came to see, regardless of whether or not they perform well. Kinda unfair to them.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #214 on: 08 Dec 2017, 01:15 »

That would be just plain Tilly silly.
I've been waiting for this joke. Thank you.

Anyway, still no comic today. Has Jeph given any indication of why elsewhere?
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #215 on: 08 Dec 2017, 01:16 »

It may be the same band but if your enjoyment comes from the genre rather than the performer then, yes, them experimenting with another genre may indeed impact on your enjoyment.

His last Tweet was that he was waiting for a flight so he may be currently at 5 miles up going somewhere.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #216 on: 08 Dec 2017, 01:45 »

His last Tweet was that he was waiting for a flight so he may be currently at 5 miles up going somewhere.
That's probably a very good reason for not posting. :)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #217 on: 08 Dec 2017, 02:08 »

Just when you think they have hit rock bottom, out comes a bigger pick axe.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #218 on: 08 Dec 2017, 02:11 »

Comic Up
Here is the real reason why Hannelore doesn't need a personal assistant: Being that organised about her anxieties in some ways takes the fun out of it!

Basically (and I admit that I'm speculating here but I feel good about it), Hannelore wanted an hour where she and Winslow talked about things that worry her because he's her friend and talking to him about her anxieties and listening to his attempts to reassure her is something that she enjoys. Tilly, bless their black nylon leggings, is proposing to turn it into an impromptu executive meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Worldwide Fund for Nature (whilst Winslow would like it to also be a Vaudeville revue). This is another reason why I doubt Hannelore will keep Tilly on: They suck all the enjoyment out of her life.

That said, Winslow and Tilly have some common approaches to information presentation and, frankly, a common perspective about what is 'fun'. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the long term, they become friends much in the way Faye and Bubbles are currently friends. I'm not sure exactly how that would work out yet but I feel that it is a possibility.
~~~~

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #219 on: 08 Dec 2017, 02:14 »

Can Tilly pick up her medication?  If she's still on lorazepam, that's CIV... can you pick up CIV meds for someone else?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #220 on: 08 Dec 2017, 02:18 »

Can Tilly pick up her medication?  If she's still on lorazepam, that's CIV... can you pick up CIV meds for someone else?

If Hannelore calls the pharmacy ahead and Tilly provides both written identification and written confirmation of Hannelore's consent, I can't see there being a problem.
~~~~

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #221 on: 08 Dec 2017, 02:25 »

Speaking from personal experience, I'm on Clonazapam and two Schedule II pain medications and no pharmacy has ever balked at others picking up my medication for me. Now, obviously different pharmacies will have their own rules and I live approximately 1,000ish miles away from Massachusetts but seeing as they're all beholden to the DEA, I would assume what one pharmacy can do in one state would work in another(provided the states haven't passed their own laws forbidding it).

Long winded...but I hoped that answered your question. :)

ETA: As soon as I finished this, a few caveats came to mind. First, all pharmacy's have signs that say that to pick up controlled substances will require ID. The only time they've ever asked for it was when I was new and they needed to verify my info, they've never asked for it since but they reserve that right, of course. Also, at the register they ask you to confirm the address and/or birth date of whomever medicine it is you're picking up(whether it's yours or someone else's). It's usually both if you're not a familiar face or just the birth date if they know you. But again, that'll depend on how strict they are with protocol.

Sorry, I don't know why that just occurred to me now. :S
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2017, 02:33 by mercykills »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #222 on: 08 Dec 2017, 03:12 »

Bad idea to have a dance number if you're worried about stepping on someone's toes.  :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #223 on: 08 Dec 2017, 03:30 »

On the other hand, Hannelore has said explicitly that things explode on her. Seems reasonable to dress as a painter, then.

Hmm..

If *I* was going to work somewhere that something could explode on me, bare arms and legs would NOT be my first choice.
(self-redacted naughty exception)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #224 on: 08 Dec 2017, 03:35 »

This would be like deciding the opening act is bad just because their existence means you have to wait a little longer to hear the band you really came to see, regardless of whether or not they perform well. Kinda unfair to them.

Tell that to "Spinal Tap Mk 2"....

JAZZ ODYSSEY!!!
Covenant

Absimilliard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #225 on: 08 Dec 2017, 04:09 »

I've been a fan and avid reader for years, and I've just now created a profile so I could vote "1". They're just plain annoying and should only be used for Hanners to get a win over her mother. What potensial they have is mostly also present in other better, characters, with the exception of the "them"-pronouns factor, which I'd like to se introduced with a more likeable character (maybe even an existing one, I'm always glad to see (well written) character development).

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #226 on: 08 Dec 2017, 04:29 »

I've been a fan and avid reader for years, and I've just now created a profile so I could vote "1". They're just plain annoying and should only be used for Hanners to get a win over her mother. What potensial they have is mostly also present in other better, characters, with the exception of the "them"-pronouns factor, which I'd like to se introduced with a more likeable character (maybe even an existing one, I'm always glad to see (well written) character development).

Welcome new person! (Heh, I beat "Is it cold in here?". I'm so bored at work tonight.)

I didn't really think about this until I read your post, but it occurs to me that it might actually be a good thing that the first (confirmed) non-binary character isn't perfect. I felt like Jeph was too cautious when he outed Claire. It felt (to me) that he was concerned that if she wasn't perfect or close to it people would claim that he was doing somehow implying that minorities were not as "good" as non-trans people.

It's not as common now, but it used to be fairly common with female or non-white protagonists to make them super awesome just so that nobody would claim that they weren't as good as the white/male characters, but they swung it too far in the other direction. I've seen a few examples with lgbt characters too, but not as many. (In general, not specifically in QC)

So I don't like Tilly, but I'm happy that Jeph isn't being as cautious with them as he was with Claire. It makes Tilly feel more 3d.

I hope I made sense and this isn't all 4am ramblings of a sleep deprived moron. :p

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #227 on: 08 Dec 2017, 06:20 »

Here in France, we are way ahead of you :D

This 1963 movie had a gay bad guy, wielding a machine gun and illegally distilling booze : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Tontons_flingueurs

(Honestly, in those days, I think the character was gay only to make him look even more bad. He was also german, which in 1963 in France, made someone look really really bad...)
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2017, 06:37 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #228 on: 08 Dec 2017, 08:06 »

Oh dear, Winslow and Tilly together, I don't know how Hannelore copes with the two of the most annoying characters in QC right now. The only way this could get worse is if they invite Claire.

(click to show/hide)
I didn't really think about this until I read your post, but it occurs to me that it might actually be a good thing that the first (confirmed) non-binary character isn't perfect. I felt like Jeph was too cautious when he outed Claire. It felt (to me) that he was concerned that if she wasn't perfect or close to it people would claim that he was doing somehow implying that minorities were not as "good" as non-trans people.

It's not as common now, but it used to be fairly common with female or non-white protagonists to make them super awesome just so that nobody would claim that they weren't as good as the white/male characters, but they swung it too far in the other direction. I've seen a few examples with lgbt characters too, but not as many. (In general, not specifically in QC)

So I don't like Tilly, but I'm happy that Jeph isn't being as cautious with them as he was with Claire. It makes Tilly feel more 3d.

I hope I made sense and this isn't all 4am ramblings of a sleep deprived moron. :p
I agree with Absimillard in regards to Tilly - they're superfluous and annoying, and add nothing to the plot. Their introduction as Beatrice's minion seemed (at first) to give us a look into Chatham enterprises and Hanners' relationship with it all, but now it just seems like an excuse to introduce Tilly and make sure they stick.

As for non-perfect characters - I understand that, and I think you're right that Jeph was over-cautious with Claire (not the character, but the MartenClaire romance). I think with Tilly it had the opposite direction, as far as I've observed; people were a lot more willing to insult them or call them Taffy or something else (or tolerate it) when their pronouns weren't known. People started to defend them/insists on proper pronoun use precisely because now, they could empathise with Tilly.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #229 on: 08 Dec 2017, 08:32 »

And, let's be honest, a quick read of the red part of the Christian Bible would indicate that there should be quotation marks around the word; extreme conservative "christians".
There's a lot of tenets being ignored there. Some quick examples:
Matthew 7:1-5
Romans 12:18
Galatians  3:28

For those curious, I'd recommend The Complete Jewish Bible translation as it's translated directly from Greek to Modern English (it's meant for both Messianic Jewish and Christian services).
The most popular part seems to be Luke 19:26-27; which says

For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #230 on: 08 Dec 2017, 08:38 »

For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him. But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

King James Bible: Yoda Translation.
Covenant

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #231 on: 08 Dec 2017, 10:27 »

And now I want to see this musical number.  Tilly might just be a Triple Threat.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #232 on: 08 Dec 2017, 10:37 »

It may be the same band but if your enjoyment comes from the genre rather than the performer then, yes, them experimenting with another genre may indeed impact on your enjoyment.
Yeah. And if it's the same band, that's fair, because you've had previous experience with them that you enjoyed and now they're doing something you don't enjoy, so you like them less.

It's unfair to judge a completely different band as "bad" simply because they're not the band you wanted to see.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #233 on: 08 Dec 2017, 11:35 »

But you're changing the analogy. There's no other band. There is one band playing. I came to see them to hear all my favourite songs, but they are instead playing all songs from their new album that does not interest me in the slightest. Of course, they're artists, they can move forward with their work however they like, but I reserve the right to stand at the back whinging and shouting "Freebird!"

JohnA

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #234 on: 08 Dec 2017, 13:41 »

The whole non-binary thing is tiresome in the extreme. Tilly disclosed it to Marten because she knew about Claire from the dossier and that it would touch a chord with Marten. The same way Tilly thought she was buying trousers and a bag in Hanner's favourite colours. It was a deliberate attempt to curry favour and get under her skin. Would you trust someone like that?
She is as manipulative as hell.

cloudatlatl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #235 on: 08 Dec 2017, 13:55 »

I don't hate Tilly but I am hating this story arc more and more... 'wealthy privileged super organized character gets personal assistant, mostly they debate what functions the personal assistant could perform'... it has none of the classic QC character drama that always kept me coming back.  Now I check the comic and think, 'ugh, more of this'... I would be so happy to see literally any other character get some more focus time right now.  I'd welcome a three-week Bembo Meets Randy the Bandicoot holiday special at this point.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #236 on: 08 Dec 2017, 14:31 »

Welcome, new people!

Yes, "manipulative" came to my mind too about Ms. Biirch.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #237 on: 08 Dec 2017, 14:54 »

The whole non-binary thing is tiresome in the extreme. Tilly disclosed it to Marten because she knew about Claire from the dossier and that it would touch a chord with Marten. The same way Tilly thought she was buying trousers and a bag in Hanner's favourite colours. It was a deliberate attempt to curry favour and get under her skin. Would you trust someone like that?

Global Moderator Comment Tiresome you may feel it to be; but please observe our practice and use they/their for Tilly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Taffy_Fan_420

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #238 on: 08 Dec 2017, 15:19 »

Hello - I've been reading QC since comic 200 or so - a very very long time, and have lurked the forum many times in that past decade plus.

I finally registered an account to say this last month of comics (aside form the art which has actually been excellent) has been by far the worst, most tone-deaf, boring and pointless in the history of the strip.

And I'm happily surprised to see near consensus here about that, with well over half of respondants to the poll being very negative, and almost no-one being very positive, especially considering (and please recognise that this is said with love) that y'all are BIG BIG qc fans and tend to be thrilled with whatever direction is taken.

I'm fine with all the new characters who dissapear. I'm fine with not seeing this Marten guy i've heard so much about. I'm fine with all the (previous) main cast enter into some form of LBGT relationship (or seem to be about to enter into one). Its all interesting stuff and on brand and ect.

But this taffy stuff man. They gotta go.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #239 on: 08 Dec 2017, 15:22 »

Tilly disclosed it to Marten because she knew about Claire from the dossier and that it would touch a chord with Marten.

I doubt this would have affected Marten's impression of Tilly one way or the other, actually. Marten simply would have accepted it as something to remember about Tilly without a second thought. The pun would have made a significantly larger impact, honestly. And if you think that was a calculated move, then that's a touch cynical IMO.

Anyway, the divisiveness of Tilly continues to amaze.

Storel

« Reply #240 on: 08 Dec 2017, 15:43 »

So... What kind of cereal do you think Steve likes most?
Hmmm....some kind of flakes.

Although he is enough of a he-man to down an entire bowl of Post Grape Nuts.

Do they even make Grape-Nuts any more? I haven't seen it in any grocery store for years, perhaps decades. I thought they must have discontinued it.

To be honest, US society is already in a (not so) civil war, and so far nobody is "winning" (maybe extreme conservative Christians and big corporations?) and everybody is losing.

I used to work for a guy who was also an SF writer.  Years ago he said something similar, that the extreme polarization is not benefiting either side of the culture war, so I asked him: "Thinking as an SF writer, who is benefiting from it?"

So what was his answer? Inquiring minds want to know!

DesiArxxy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #241 on: 08 Dec 2017, 16:15 »

Agreed.
Tilly disclosed it to Marten because she knew about Claire from the dossier and that it would touch a chord with Marten.

I doubt this would have affected Marten's impression of Tilly one way or the other, actually. Marten simply would have accepted it as something to remember about Tilly without a second thought. The pun would have made a significantly larger impact, honestly. And if you think that was a calculated move, then that's a touch cynical IMO.

I don't think it would have affected Marten's impression significantly, but it is completely in-character for Tilly to try. Especially given that the pants and bag were explicitly canonical.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #242 on: 08 Dec 2017, 17:10 »

Word ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #243 on: 08 Dec 2017, 17:23 »

Tilly, do something interesting instead of wearing Hannelore to a frazzle. Winslow, you're not helping.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #244 on: 08 Dec 2017, 17:50 »

Your misuse of their proper pronoun aside; your argument doesn't track.

Look, I'm as anti-Tilly as anyone here. I didn't think the stalk-y intro was appropriate. I think they're a shit character who brings nothing new to the story and in the "bringing of nothing", actually, drags the comic down by wasting time on them that would be better served on other characters and their story lines. That said, I would be absolutely BLOWN AWAY if we were headed down that path.

A character that's pretending to be non-binary to ingratiate themselves with the friend of their new boss? No. One, I don't see Jeph being ok with that in any capacity(I don't claim to know him or be psychic but after reading the comic for so long and watching all the care he puts into the handling of sensitive topics? No, don't see it). Also, two, why would such a little detail mean one thing or another to Martin? But..hmm..ok, for the sake of argument, let's say for a second, it did. That Tilly being non-binary helps them get Martin's friendship, somehow. How would that help them if Hanners decides to fire Tilly? It wouldn't. And while Tilly may be a bit....."much", I don't think even they would have the cognitive dissonance to think that it would.

Finally, buying pants and a bag in what you believe are your boss' favorite color is no where CLOSE to being the same as, "I'm pretending to be non-binary to curry favor." It's just not.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #245 on: 08 Dec 2017, 18:07 »

Question - Why would Tilly have a section dedicated to Hanner's friend's relationships?
Question the second - How on earth would anyone know that Claire was Trans? The only ones who know (if I recall correctly) are her mother, Clinton, Marten and Emily. Its not been something Claire has been particularly shouting from the rooftops about.
Question part three - If we've already established that some of the information that Tilly has been working from has in fact been incorrect, then why would the information about the others be so accurate?

Look, don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of Tilly, personally I believe that the story has gone on about a week too long with a character that was an originally interesting gambit, that kind of fell flat. But let's not impose traits on a character that haven't been outright proven yet. Tilly isn't some manipulative evil genius, they're a kid working from a cheat sheet that has the wrong answers on them.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #246 on: 08 Dec 2017, 21:12 »

Do they even make Grape-Nuts any more? I haven't seen it in any grocery store for years, perhaps decades. I thought they must have discontinued it.
It appears from postconsumerbrands.com that they're still around.  I always imagined Saki's Filboid Studge as being something like Grape Nuts.

Question the second - How on earth would anyone know that Claire was Trans? The only ones who know (if I recall correctly) are her mother, Clinton, Marten and Emily. Its not been something Claire has been particularly shouting from the rooftops about.
Dude, we're talkin' about Beatrice the Amoral here.  She probably has copies of the original birth certificates for all Hannelore's friends.  (Come to think of it, the background check for a high level security clearance here in the real world could actually drill down that far.)

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #247 on: 08 Dec 2017, 23:20 »

Dude, we're talkin' about Beatrice the Amoral here.  She probably has copies of the original birth certificates for all Hannelore's friends.  (Come to think of it, the background check for a high level security clearance here in the real world could actually drill down that far.)

We're also talkin' about the dossier that was completely wrong and out of date.

This line of thinking is foolishness pulled directly from JohnA's ass. It's nonsense.

Regarding the concert analogy: yeah, I changed it to an analogy that's more accurate to the situation being discussed, 'cause the original analogy didn't match the topic.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #248 on: 08 Dec 2017, 23:25 »

Question - Why would Tilly have a section dedicated to Hanner's friend's relationships?

Manipulation and control of Hannelore. Remember: the dossier was probably prepared at Beatrice's instructions. If she knows everything about her daughter's friends, she knows how to manipulate and, if necessary, coerce them into helping drive Hannelore down the path she wants from her.
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #249 on: 08 Dec 2017, 23:28 »

Tilly, do something interesting instead of wearing Hannelore to a frazzle. Winslow, you're not helping.

How can Hannelore ever expect to run her mother’s company if she can’t even handle an over eager subordinate?  In this capacity I think Tilly will compel her to overcome a lot of her remaining psychological obstacles.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up