THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 04:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What wsa your favorite story-line of 2017?

The Liberation of Bubbles
- 43 (54.4%)
Beatrice Goes Too Far (Tilly's Introductory Arc)
- 2 (2.5%)
Union Robotics
- 14 (17.7%)
Claire Moves In
- 3 (3.8%)
The Chronicles of Brun
- 9 (11.4%)
The Life Trials of Clinton Augustus
- 6 (7.6%)
Renee - More than Alt-Faye
- 1 (1.3%)
Other (Please specify in contents)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)  (Read 49176 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3646-3650 (1st - 5th January 2018)
« Reply #200 on: 05 Jan 2018, 11:12 »

I think a delivery of creativity that was meant to supply everyone in an entire village all got installed in BenRG.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #201 on: 05 Jan 2018, 11:19 »

I think a delivery of creativity that was meant to supply everyone in an entire village all got installed in BenRG.

BenRG was riffing on a shipment of creativity that was delivered a few years past to Alan Moore - who does indeed snort village-sized doses of the pure uncut stuff on a regular basis.  With, so far, only moderate side effects...

Incidentally, you should read "Watchmen".  It is extraordinarily good.

Morituri

« Reply #202 on: 05 Jan 2018, 11:37 »

See, Hanners can't play her role right now in QC, because her character-actor has another gig - and it's gonna take up a LOT of her time for the next three to four years.

Hm.  Probably because I don't do TV anymore, but I don't recognize that actress. 

I had not really envisioned Hannelore as looking like that though.  I'd pictured her as being more - well, haunted-looking, jittery, unhealthily thin, and completely unable to use makeup due to OCD "AAAGH THERE'S SOMETHING STICKING TO MY SKIN" reactions.  This actress isn't unhealthily bony, she has a face that looks like it's accustomed to smiling, her makeup is perfect, and the skin around her eyes shows no signs of stress or missed sleep. 

Even given green contacts for the role and a very different makeup job, I don't think she could look the way I imagine Hannelore.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #203 on: 05 Jan 2018, 11:44 »

She's also from Yorkshire, so the accent's all wrong for Hannelore.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #204 on: 05 Jan 2018, 11:50 »

You watch guys, Hannelore is going to come back as a waterbender.

Then one day, after another ‘date’ with Sven, she will reveal the horrifying truth:
(click to show/hide)

As for today’s strip, is that possibly Amanda’s girlfriend behind her?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #205 on: 05 Jan 2018, 14:21 »

On the other hand, now we can speculate on the adventures of Hanners abroad.

It's entirely possible we won't need to speculate, because there may be some story arcs about her and Winslow. Has Jeph said he's writing her out?

WareWolf

• Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #206 on: 05 Jan 2018, 14:25 »

Unexpected. Interesting tho.

I'm actually sorta sad we wont see more of Winslow at the community center. That looked interesting...

Yeah, that's a bit unfair. Winslow was starting to find his own thing, here. Hannelore is behaving like an owner, not like a friend.

How do you know?  Hannelore could’ve asked and if he said no then she’d find another alternative, but Winslow might want to travel and this is a chance in a lifetime.

Or Winslow may have volunteered without being asked. He loves Hanners, too.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #207 on: 05 Jan 2018, 14:43 »

Riding out of nowhere to right wrongs. Sara and her allosaurus. I am tempted to commit fanfic.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #208 on: 05 Jan 2018, 16:36 »

As for today’s strip, is that possibly Amanda’s girlfriend behind her?

Maybe her fiancée. Maybe we're getting a storyline about Amanda's wedding and Faye overcoming deeply ingrained prejudices she didn't even know she had.

By which I mean Amanda's Fiancée is from Maine, and Faye can't handle her sister marrying someone from the godless north.  :-P

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #209 on: 05 Jan 2018, 16:59 »

NOOOOOO kitten Hanners!! ;____; Please don't keep her and sweet lil' Winslow away for too long!!

... Also Hanners is from Yorkshire? When did that happen? :o
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #210 on: 05 Jan 2018, 17:38 »

BenRG, you totally need to fanfic Questionable Watchmen.  :laugh: :-D

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #211 on: 05 Jan 2018, 18:08 »

Hm.  Probably because I don't do TV anymore, but I don't recognize that actress. 

Hint: Blue box, wanders the universe, sometimes brandishes a beeping stick called a "sonic screwdriver"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #212 on: 05 Jan 2018, 18:39 »

On the other hand, now we can speculate on the adventures of Hanners abroad.

Not going to speculate about any scenario specifically, but I can see a number of categories into which Hanners' adventures may fit:

1) We get a series of amusing vignettes of Hannelore's misadventures, kind of like Wil and his road-trip;

2) We see occasional updates, like Raven's college exploits or unexpected one-off re-appearance at Coffee of Doom;

3) Hannelore goes into an extended hiatus - we know she exists, but she's gone off to live another life - "that character who used to be in QC", like Angus;

4) The allosaurus gets another meal  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

TheEvilDog

« Reply #213 on: 05 Jan 2018, 18:49 »

NOOOOOO kitten Hanners!! ;____; Please don't keep her and sweet lil' Winslow away for too long!!

... Also Hanners is from Yorkshire? When did that happen? :o

Hanners isn't from Yorkshire.

They were referring to the fact that the actress taking over the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who is from West Yorkshire.

Morituri

« Reply #214 on: 05 Jan 2018, 20:41 »

Ah.  Is that what the Umpth incarnation of Doctor Who looks like?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #215 on: 05 Jan 2018, 20:43 »

Hint: Blue box, wanders the universe, sometimes brandishes a beeping stick called a "sonic screwdriver"?

She's Mary Poppins, y'all!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #216 on: 05 Jan 2018, 20:52 »

And River Song is Ms. Frizzle.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #217 on: 05 Jan 2018, 22:19 »

Hi Amanda!

So... Faye/Bubbles has been a thing that has been teased/speculated about, and we're having a surprise return visit by Faye's lesbian sister... might we be seeing Faye become aware of Bubbles' more-complicated-than-just-friendship feelings for her and doing some soul-searching with the help of her sister who's been through questioning her sexuality?  Even if Faye/Bubbles doesn't end up being canon at the end of it, for whatever reason (Faye isn't attracted to women in general, or robots in general, or Bubbles in specific, or Bubbles's feelings, while more than just friendship, aren't actually romantic or sexual in nature, or both, or something else entirely), it would be an interesting story and I can see Jeph wanting to tell it.

Delator

• In my own little world
« Reply #218 on: 05 Jan 2018, 23:20 »

lol...Faye's face in that last panel.

Reminds me a little bit of Yelling Bird.
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Gyrre

« Reply #219 on: 06 Jan 2018, 04:32 »

Nice lampshade, Dora.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #220 on: 06 Jan 2018, 07:08 »

See, Hanners can't play her role right now in QC, because her character-actor has another gig - and it's gonna take up a LOT of her time for the next three to four years.

I had not really envisioned Hannelore as looking like that though.  I'd pictured her as being more - well, haunted-looking, jittery, unhealthily thin, and completely unable to use makeup due to OCD "AAAGH THERE'S SOMETHING STICKING TO MY SKIN" reactions.  This actress isn't unhealthily bony, she has a face that looks like it's accustomed to smiling, her makeup is perfect, and the skin around her eyes shows no signs of stress or missed sleep. 

Even given green contacts for the role and a very different makeup job, I don't think she could look the way I imagine Hannelore.
Fun fact; some folks get frown lines instead of smile lines.
(Trust me, I've got them.)
a real-ass gaddam sword

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #221 on: 06 Jan 2018, 07:18 »

Hi Amanda!

So... Faye/Bubbles has been a thing that has been teased/speculated about, and we're having a surprise return visit by Faye's lesbian sister... might we be seeing Faye become aware of Bubbles' more-complicated-than-just-friendship feelings for her and doing some soul-searching with the help of her sister who's been through questioning her sexuality?  Even if Faye/Bubbles doesn't end up being canon at the end of it, for whatever reason (Faye isn't attracted to women in general, or robots in general, or Bubbles in specific, or Bubbles's feelings, while more than just friendship, aren't actually romantic or sexual in nature, or both, or something else entirely), it would be an interesting story and I can see Jeph wanting to tell it.
Amanda would be just tactless enough to blurt out "When's the wedding" in reaction to seeing Faye and Bubbles interact, forcing them to stop avoiding the topic. It's perfect.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Storel

« Reply #222 on: 06 Jan 2018, 16:28 »

I'm surprised that Amanda is still doing that two-toned hair. Wouldn't she have gotten tired of that style ages ago?

Then again, Jeph may have been afraid no one would recognize her if she didn't have it.

Gyrre

« Reply #223 on: 06 Jan 2018, 23:12 »

I'm surprised that Amanda is still doing that two-toned hair. Wouldn't she have gotten tired of that style ages ago?

Then again, Jeph may have been afraid no one would recognize her if she didn't have it.
Some folks just stick with what they like.
a real-ass gaddam sword

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #224 on: 07 Jan 2018, 05:18 »

Last time on QC:

1) Hannelore accosts her supposed master-of-the-Universe mother and...suffers absolutely no consequences whatsoever, because if she did, fan girls would burn down the internet and boycott Deathmole merchandise.
2) Finally realizing that Tilly is about as popular as a rat in a dark elevator, Jeph puts the poor lad/lass on a bus, er, spaceship. Good riddance.
3) And Jeph, desperate for something, *anything* to make readers forget one of the most unreedeemably awful storylines in QC history, drags out the old TV sitcom warhorse "long lost sibling of main character suddenly shows up, wacky hijinks ensue". Geez, what's next? Gilligan ruins their chances of getting off the island?

Next time on QC: Incest robot threeway! (Or more boring dialogue, your choice.)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #225 on: 07 Jan 2018, 06:53 »

Last time on QC:

1) Hannelore accosts her supposed master-of-the-Universe mother and...suffers absolutely no consequences whatsoever, because if she did, fan girls would burn down the internet and boycott Deathmole merchandise.
2) Finally realizing that Tilly is about as popular as a rat in a dark elevator, Jeph puts the poor lad/lass on a bus, er, spaceship. Good riddance.
3) And Jeph, desperate for something, *anything* to make readers forget one of the most unreedeemably awful storylines in QC history, drags out the old TV sitcom warhorse "long lost sibling of main character suddenly shows up, wacky hijinks ensue". Geez, what's next? Gilligan ruins their chances of getting off the island?

Next time on QC: Incest robot threeway! (Or more boring dialogue, your choice.)

1) There's two things that could have happened if Beatrice had Hanners arrested for "accosting": (a) Bad publicity which could kill the deal with Tilly's father that Beatrice was trying to broker. Which would be somewhat humiliating to Beatrice. And (b) If Beatrice had Hanners arrested, that would kill any relationship between them. As it is, there's a sliver of a chance of reconciliation.
2) There's constructive criticism and then there's destructive criticism, seeing a lot of the latter here. So what makes Tilly "unpopular"? Hmm? What could Jeph have done to improve their reception? Instead of poking holes in the boat, try suggesting ways to patch things up.
3) We've just had a heavy storyline on par with Faye's descent into near fatal alcoholism, Marten and Dora's Break-up and the "Talk". Its also been one of the longer storylines, which means that people need a cleansing of the palette, so to speak. So yeah, we're going to get a funny few comics.

Look, the Tilly storyline was a giant misstep by Jeph, but it was also a story that needed to be told to facilitate the next step in Hanners' own story. And its clear that it went on a little too long. But there's no reason for barely concealed insults towards Jeph. And there's certainly no need to insult fictional characters, because, well, they're fictional.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #226 on: 07 Jan 2018, 09:37 »

*remembers when someone insulted the comic and then announced they were leaving only to come back a year later to once again insult the comic*
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #227 on: 07 Jan 2018, 09:51 »

That was last week, wasn't it?

Oh, but I miss those heady days when there was (semi)intelligent discussions about the comics.

I miss those days. I really do.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #228 on: 07 Jan 2018, 13:09 »

I for one hope that Jeph continues to periodically challenge his readers.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #229 on: 07 Jan 2018, 14:30 »

I'd really like to think that the "travel the world" thing means we'll get occasional tangents of wacky Hanners/Winslow adventures in places around the world, but the way that Jeph treats characters who are out of focus, it seems to me there will be absolutely zero updates outside of maybe a namedrop or two, and we'll be lucky to ever see either of them in the strip again at all -- unless Jeph gets really, really bored with his remaining existing cast members and the new ones he introduces in the meantime.

It just particularly rankles me, as a reader, because we had this awesome moment of Hanners breaking free from her mother's malign influence -- and then poof, gone, no real payoff or reunion allowed, the author just said "your arc's done, I don't need you anymore, bored now, buh-bye", and out the door they go into the trashbin.  And for good measure, let's send her off via "white person goes travelling the world to find themselves", as if that weren't already cliched deeply enough in fiction and real life.

I'm a little surprised Claire moving in is so low.

It might have something to do with the degree of Claire-centricity being at or close to saturation levels, at least since she and Marten started their relationship.  I highly doubt I'm the only person who finds Claire as a character irritating to no end.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #230 on: 07 Jan 2018, 16:41 »

*remembers when someone insulted the comic and then announced they were leaving only to come back a year later to once again insult the comic*
We've had a few of those over the years. It's a weird behaviour; kind of like dogs coming back to eat their own poop.

Look, the Tilly storyline was a giant misstep by Jeph, but it was also a story that needed to be told to facilitate the next step in Hanners' own story. And its clear that it went on a little too long. But there's no reason for barely concealed insults towards Jeph. And there's certainly no need to insult fictional characters, because, well, they're fictional.
I don't know that I'd say "giant misstep" (I'd reserve that for, say, throwing in a miscarriage, or something...), but I'd entirely agree otherwise.

Hear hear!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

« Reply #231 on: 07 Jan 2018, 16:44 »

The usual thoughts about where someone like Hannelore would go to meditate and process her thoughts makes me think of a temple in the Far East, but it could also be neat to see her climbing Machu Picchu or visiting the Pyramids or Stonehenge or something like that. I actually would find it very interesting if Jeph shows more about where she goes and what she does during this excursion, how she reacts to the different culture and see the characters she might meet along the way, see her get her hands dirty working in a strange place, and somehow doesn'ta have a massive freak-out about germs and flees for the safety of home, etc.

#FollowHannelore #WhereverSheMayRoam

As I understand it, any ancient site with a resonant frequency of A major or F# is a great place to meditate. Maybe Hanners could bribe some guards to let her and Winslow  into the Queen's Chamber at Giza by themselves. Or she could visit some of the ancient sites of Egypt that aren't on the tour. There's a megolithic temple at the top of a small mountain, for instance.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #232 on: 07 Jan 2018, 16:54 »

Wherever she goes, I don't think we'll hear any updates until she returns, because I think she'll digitally unplug.

Be patient and trust that the wait will be worthwhlie. There are plenty of other stories to be told in the meantime.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #233 on: 07 Jan 2018, 19:07 »

Hear hear!
Though next time maybe he will sidestep the, hilarious to some, fish slap dance.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #234 on: 07 Jan 2018, 20:26 »

Just one note about this one:
Gotta say, I find it pretty funny that this bullet point simultaneously mocks "fan girls" who overreact to things in this webcomic not going the way they imagined while also holding up Hannelore's mother as "supposed master-of-the-Universe" when, as far as I can tell, only Beatrice fans seem to think of her that way ('cause the comic sure as hell doesn't support that interpretation of the character), and said fans are the only ones making a big burn-down-style fuss over her deciding not to do something horrible to her own daughter.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #235 on: 08 Jan 2018, 13:28 »

I am pleased that no one in the forum disputed Tilly's right to be NB. (Other than the pronoun difficulties.)
Tilly got on our nerves in other ways.
Not up on Steven Universe, but I'll point to Haruhi of Ouran Host Club as a sympathetic NB character.

Hannelore has discovered a part of herself that does not fit her self image. (She used the Voice.)
She has to explore who she really is before she can trust herself with others.
(A chat with Veronica might be useful.)

Morituri

« Reply #236 on: 08 Jan 2018, 22:08 »

Bear this in mind: someone whose childhood bed features leather straps that were used to keep her from self-harm may have a differently informed perspective on discovering an angry and possibly violent part of her personality as an adult.

I don't regard Tilly's story as a misstep, giant or otherwise.  You guys, maybe, see a character you didn't like and a personal development arc for Hanners and the character shipped off to space, and you consider that character somehow 'used up' or 'over.'   This is not how it works.

I see a character who is more interesting than first appearances indicate, on several points, being placed in a situation in which further stresses on and developments with that character are inevitable and, quite probably, interesting.

Jeph is laying groundwork for multiple future stories - both Hanners' development and dealing with uncomfortable parts of herself, and something involving Station, Tilly, and Dr. Ellicott.  That isn't a misstep, and Tilly isn't a mistake.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #237 on: 08 Jan 2018, 22:13 »

I agree with all of this.

It was also, for me, an interesting demonstration of the power of initial impressions.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #238 on: 09 Jan 2018, 03:09 »

How to summarize my impression? I'm not here for drama, I'm here for lols. Ok, that's oversimplifying. But you get the idea...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #239 on: 09 Jan 2018, 16:54 »

Oh, yes. :)

Perfectly Reasonable

« Reply #240 on: 09 Jan 2018, 17:24 »

My initial expectation was that Tilly's rad research skills would be the means for foiling Beatrice's scheme.
Shall I tell you about my initial expectations for Last Jedi?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #241 on: 09 Jan 2018, 18:20 »

I personally have found that the best way to kill any film-watching experience is to walk in with expectations. I go to some trouble to avoid them for that reason. I don't mind watching a trailer, so long as I'm confident it will give nothing away. If I do happen to see a trailer in the cinema that gives too much away, then I don't bother watching it. I definitely avoid fandom predictions and such.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #242 on: 09 Jan 2018, 18:54 »

(A chat with Veronica might be useful.)

That is entirely brilliant.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #243 on: 23 Jan 2018, 00:59 »

To admins: Since Hannelore now have left the comic, should we possibly find a new subtitle for this forum? 'Hannelore & Claire Squeee factory' doesn't seem quite appropriate anymore as there won't be much squeeing over Hannelore until she returns.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #244 on: 23 Jan 2018, 03:02 »

To admins: Since Hannelore now have left the comic, should we possibly find a new subtitle for this forum? 'Hannelore & Claire Squeee factory' doesn't seem quite appropriate anymore as there won't be much squeeing over Hannelore until she returns.

Hanners hasn't *left* the comic, though.
And I think the title alludes to *their* Squeee-ing...
Not ours *over* them...?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up