THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 12:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Against Me!  (Read 6812 times)

ramenXnoodles

Against Me!
« on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:56 »

Anybody like this band? I've liked them for a while and just got around to buying Searching for a Former Clarity yesterday, so now I only need As the Eternal Cowboy to complete my collection.

Kid Modernist

Against Me!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2005, 13:01 »

I heard them and didn't like them, but then saw them open for The Blood Brothers and the energy they brought to the show converted me. Sink, Florida, Sink live is goosebump-worthy.

jennyvalentine

Against Me!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2005, 17:23 »

i am in love with against me!

reinventing axl rose and eternal cowboy are two of my favorite albums.
i have not heard all of searching for a former clarity yet, but i heard some demo stuff for the album a while ago and it was excellent.

Jarne

Against Me!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2005, 18:51 »

I saw them open for Green Day, I believe. They where ok, but I thought the drummer was awesome. Except I always think drummers are awesome.

czar0406

Against Me!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2005, 20:08 »

Against Me! fucking rocks!  best live band ive seen...period!

Also im a supervisor at a record store and i got Searching for a Former Clarity 2 weeks before its release.  i cried.

mediocrity_wire

Against Me!
« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2005, 20:55 »

I like them, I don't get the big deal though.
Smart punk band.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:11 »

If you would ask me my feelings about this band 3 years ago... Here is what I would of said.

Against Me! are one of the most honest bands I have ever listened to. Their lyrics are something that is really moving and inspirational, and seeing them play in a basement with 50-100 kids crammed packed, every single kid dancing and singing along to the lyrics is something out of this world. You know you are in the grips of something amazing when you see this, and that's exactly what it felt like. This band would travel around the country, play anywhere they have to, just to play the music they love. I've never heard such down-to-earth politics come out of punk music before this band. This band saved punk rock for me.

Ask me now what I think of them? A lot has changed....

They are the definition of sell-out. They moved to Fat Wreck, stripped down their music, over-produced it, played shows WITH GREEN DAY, and overall sold out their once "honest" beliefs that I fell in love with. They got money shoved in their faces, and boom, their music changes, their attitudes change, and their lyrics changes. They are now doing everything they once sung they would never do. They are even taking away their first release from Plan-it-X records (A label I have been absolutely amazed with for the past 4-5 years), just because "they don't like how the label sells the record." Which, in non-bullshit lies terms means.. "We don't want our album to be sold for 5 dollars anymore." They are managed by the A&P VP at MCA for christs sake. They have videos on MTV2 and Fuse, and they have played on Conan. IMPACT my ass. It is extremely upsetting to see what this band used to be, and what they are now.

Then they have the guts to release a new album, which has songs saying how WE take things too seriously. A band who once put on the back of their album "We make music because we are the best of friends, because we have something to say, and it helps to keep from drowning in dirty dirty cesspools of capitalism" Dear Against Me!, say hello to the Titanic for me. Maybe us older fans of your band dislike you more than "because we take it too seriously" Of course we took you seriously, how could we not? We were your most loyal fanbase. We drove 3 days to see you play in 3 different states.

With lyrics like

Maybe it's gonna come from the radio
Or the next 8 hour day
Driving to the next town
A collect call home to your best friend
We are the company we keep
We could live off of dumpsters if we have to
Sell our blood by the pint to make rent
This kind of dignity doesn't come easy
But you'll never find it for sale

They move to lyrics like

You know Justin? Well, Justin's dead.
And Yahoo won't let his family have access to his e-mail account,
The news reporter said:
"I feel so bad for you, it's so awkward.
There's really nothing I can say,

They have become nothing but another college frat boy punk rock band. Good Job Against Me! you were supposed to save punk from Anti-Flag, Pennywise, NOFX, Rancid, blah blah blah, NOT join them. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

I hope they enjoy their cash.

I don't know, I do not hate this band because they are really liked now, I hate this band for comprimising their beliefs for money.

Freezey

Against Me!
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:13 »

Y'know, I never saw why they had so much hype and judged them off of a few songs- this was a little after Axl Rose came out, and it wasn't until Clarity came out that I realized- hey, these guys are actually pretty fucking good. I haven't heard "as the eternal cowboy", but I own RAR + SFAFC and a few 7"s.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:17 »

It wasn't until Clarity came out that I realized As The Eternal Cowboy isn't THAT bad of an album...

I despised that album, but hearing their new one... I can always say "At least it's not THAT bad"

czar0406

Against Me!
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:21 »

Quote from: mahlon
If you would ask me my feelings about this band 3 years ago... Here is what I would of said.

Against Me! are one of the most honest bands I have ever listened to. Their lyrics are something that is really moving and inspirational, and seeing them play in a basement with 50-100 kids crammed packed, every single kid dancing and singing along to the lyrics is something out of this world. You know you are in the grips of something amazing when you see this, and that's exactly what it felt like. This band would travel around the country, play anywhere they have to, just to play the music they love. I've never heard such down-to-earth politics come out of punk music before this band. This band saved punk rock for me.

Ask me now what I think of them? A lot has changed....

They are the definition of sell-out. They moved to Fat Wreck, stripped down their music, over-produced it, played shows WITH GREEN DAY, and overall sold out their once "honest" beliefs that I fell in love with. They got money shoved in their faces, and boom, their music changes, their attitudes change, and their lyrics changes. They are now doing everything they once sung they would never do. They are even taking away their first release from Plan-it-X records (A label I have been absolutely amazed with for the past 4-5 years), just because "they don't like how the label sells the record." Which, in non-bullshit lies terms means.. "We don't want our album to be sold for 5 dollars anymore." They are managed by the A&P VP at MCA for christs sake. They have videos on MTV2 and Fuse, and they have played on Conan. IMPACT my ass. It is extremely upsetting to see what this band used to be, and what they are now.

Then they have the guts to release a new album, which has songs saying how WE take things too seriously. A band who once put on the back of their album "We make music because we are the best of friends, because we have something to say, and it helps to keep from drowning in dirty dirty cesspools of capitalism" Dear Against Me!, say hello to the Titanic for me. Maybe us older fans of your band dislike you more than "because we take it too seriously" Of course we took you seriously, how could we not? We were your most loyal fanbase. We drove 3 days to see you play in 3 different states.

With lyrics like

Maybe it's gonna come from the radio
Or the next 8 hour day
Driving to the next town
A collect call home to your best friend
We are the company we keep
We could live off of dumpsters if we have to
Sell our blood by the pint to make rent
This kind of dignity doesn't come easy
But you'll never find it for sale

They move to lyrics like

You know Justin? Well, Justin's dead.
And Yahoo won't let his family have access to his e-mail account,
The news reporter said:
"I feel so bad for you, it's so awkward.
There's really nothing I can say,

They have become nothing but another college frat boy punk rock band. Good Job Against Me! you were supposed to save punk from Anti-Flag, Pennywise, NOFX, Rancid, blah blah blah, NOT join them. YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

I hope they enjoy their cash.

I don't know, I do not hate this band because they are really liked now, I hate this band for comprimising their beliefs for money.

*violently throws up in own mouth*

*cough*....yeah *spit*  AM! is TOTALLY pimping it out with there Fat Wreck money.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:23 »

Rickenbacker guitars sure aren't cheap. I will tell you that much...

Niether is making MUSIC videos, flying to hawaii, doing an ALL 50 state tour, I should add. That's without the production and advertising for their new album.

Fat Wreck is EASILY a multi-million dollar label. They are not an independent label, they are border-line major.

czar0406

Against Me!
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:29 »

don't forget a plane/van trip to Alaska.

if were gonna include hawaii into this might as well involve its unwanted brother.

sjbrot

Against Me!
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2005, 00:41 »

All the hot girls who listen to Gwen Stefani love Hawaii, while Alaska is the goth kid who stands in the corner in disdain when the fifty states have their family reunion and refuses to play shuffle board.

Paulbot

Against Me!
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2005, 01:42 »

Gotta love some AM!, Pints of Guinness Make You Strong is one of the saddest songs I've ever listened to. Tom Gabel's voice is nice and raw. Shame that they've sold out a bit, but I can't imagine many of us wouldn't do the same thing in their shoes. They worked for years, gigging every night in basements and whatever place they could get to, I guess it's nice that they've taken a step up in the musical world.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2005, 10:12 »

And a huge step-up in their bank accounts, that's all that matters (to them).

AdamIsConceited

Against Me!
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:54 »

I have Eternal Cowboy and Reinventing Axel Rose... or whatever it's called.  Decent band.

Impulse

Against Me!
« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2005, 08:42 »

They're just.. not very talented. I think that's the charm they have for most people.  It reminds me of the big tough hardcore guys I know, and what their bands would sound like if they were trying to get laid.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Oct 2005, 10:18 »

Quote from: Impulse
They're just.. not very talented. I think that's the charm they have for most people.  It reminds me of the big tough hardcore guys I know, and what their bands would sound like if they were trying to get laid.

You must of only heard their newer stuff.

Impulse

Against Me!
« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2005, 10:21 »

I'm not sure. I have a handful of friends who are obsessed with them and have forced me to listen to some songs. All of these friends are girls and the songs they have shown me are not remarkable or catchy or anything really. That's never a good sign in my book.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
Against Me!
« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2005, 10:59 »

Quote from: Impulse
I'm not sure. I have a handful of friends who are obsessed with them and have forced me to listen to some songs. All of these friends are girls and the songs they have shown me are not remarkable or catchy or anything really. That's never a good sign in my book.

Well, their first few releases were pretty remarkable, for a punk band. Just give "Crime As Forgiven By..." a chance if you can.

Merkava

Against Me!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2005, 12:36 »

Geez, I don't care if they "sold out". They still sound pretty fucking good to me.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Against Me!
« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2005, 18:38 »

Quote from: mahlon
And a huge step-up in their bank accounts, that's all that matters (to them).

That explains why they don't get paid for almost any show they do in the state of Florida.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Against Me!
« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2005, 18:54 »

I agreed with Mahlon's points, but then he put Anti-Flag next to Pennywise.

Nay say I! Yes, Anti-Flag hypocritically signed to a major, but they've taken part in genuine political campaigns in the past and used their position to make money, which arguably excuses them from the classic criticism as they are actually doing something. I doubt I'd be saying this after their next album though.

We all know punk essentially died after The Anti-Nowhere Leagues first album anyway.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up