THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 20:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)  (Read 640463 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)
« Reply #700 on: 22 Apr 2008, 08:56 »

For the guys with longer styles of hair:

I'm making an actual effort to grow my hair a bit. I'm still not sure what I want to do with it, but I know I'm bored of shaving my head.

I might stop at three or four inches, but I'm open to my hair getting as long as just below my ears. Any advice on how to properly cultivate my hair to that point whilst retaining some level of attractiveness? I have a reputation to uphold.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #701 on: 22 Apr 2008, 09:17 »

Try to find someone IRL with the kinda hairstyle you're going for and try to find out where they get their hair done, since there actually is a fair bit a decent stylist can do for you to minimize the awkward phase, especially if you're aiming at a particular style throughout the whole process. Think in terms of long but lean; most decent long hairstyles actually have had a fair amount of cutting done, they just get rid of a lot of the "weight" via cutting in layers rather than just hacking off all the hair to a fairly uniform length. It's tricky to think so far ahead in terms of hair, but if you can get a good stylist who understands where you want to be 6 months from now it's really quite painless, since you can often hit a number of "intermediary" styles that'll let you segue into whatever your final goal is. I actually plan on going in soon and basically saying "You know my hair from 3 months ago? That was awesome, let's do that again."
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2008, 09:20 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Aminal

« Reply #702 on: 22 Apr 2008, 14:52 »

Bahahahaha, way to Third Reich!

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #703 on: 22 Apr 2008, 15:15 »

I don't really think the haircut is that terrible. Since it's long on top, you can style it differently to not look like a nazi! Swoosh it back, make a pompadour, or a fauxhawk. If the sides are as short as they look, it almost looks like a conservative version of the haircut negative creep has.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #704 on: 24 Apr 2008, 13:53 »

Dude, you have to post pictures. Don't hold out on us.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #705 on: 24 Apr 2008, 14:19 »

dear girls that dye their hair unnatural colours on a regular basis:

is there some sort of deep-conditioning treatment that you can recommend that is strong enough to deal with colour damage?
my hair is getting a bit dry/frizzy and desperately needs one.

love,
anna
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #706 on: 24 Apr 2008, 19:17 »

I wish I could help but I am really bad at that sort of thing, for some reason my hair just sort of sucks it up and deals with it. I do use a conditioning product called Keratase on my wet hair before I blow-dry and straighten it to death every day, but it was really expensive and I only got it because a hairdresser foisted it on me and I was too embarrassed to say I didn't want it.

Aminal

« Reply #707 on: 24 Apr 2008, 20:24 »

At last, my new hurr!  ("Hurr" is Appalachian for "hair".  So, that's right...I read this forum name as "I like hair".)

I apologize for the slightly scandalous angle! Oh my goodness.

So, I knew I said it was going to be hot pink with fucshia streaks, but on my hairstylist's suggestion I went for dark violet with fucshia lowlights.  I like it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #708 on: 24 Apr 2008, 20:29 »

It looks really good! Also your tattoos, which is what I'm assuming they are (otherwise your weird birthmarks) are pretty fucking awesome.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #709 on: 24 Apr 2008, 20:57 »

Looks good, though I do like the sound of your original idea as well.

So are those tiger stripe tattoos? They are symetric! Is it a rorschach?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Aminal

« Reply #710 on: 24 Apr 2008, 21:27 »

Yes tiger stripes.  I drew them myself.  Thank you!

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #711 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:03 »

is there some sort of deep-conditioning treatment that you can recommend that is strong enough to deal with colour damage?

I'd just ask any stylist.  It's the bleaching that does the real damage, not the dye, and hairstylists will definitely be familiar with bleach damage. 

I just leave regular conditioner in my hair for a minute or two, and it seems to do the trick, but I've only bleached once. 

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #712 on: 25 Apr 2008, 13:48 »

Can any of you ladies recommend a good epilator? At the moment I am just looking at reviews on Amazon, but some advice would be helpful.

(I know, not quite the 'hair advice' the thread title refers to, but I don't feel like making a new thread just for this.)

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #713 on: 25 Apr 2008, 13:52 »

I'd just ask any stylist.  It's the bleaching that does the real damage, not the dye, and hairstylists will definitely be familiar with bleach damage. 

I just leave regular conditioner in my hair for a minute or two, and it seems to do the trick, but I've only bleached once. 

i've never bleached my hair.
it's naturally blonde (dark blonde though), and i've been dying it shades of red/reddish brown for about three years now.
not sure if this makes any sort of difference, but yeah.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Aminal

« Reply #714 on: 25 Apr 2008, 13:54 »

What kind of dye have you been using? 

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #715 on: 25 Apr 2008, 14:02 »

This is mostly an academic question, but here it goes.

I have hair of the darkest brown (easily mistaken for black, but not technically black.)  One time my then-girlfriend wanted to dye my hair blue so, of course, she bleached it first, and then applied blue dye.  The thing was that, over time, it just turned green.

Were I to ever want to dye my hair blue again, and I'm not sure I'll ever be in a situation where I CAN but I'm still curious, what would I want to do differently, or is the green fade inevitable?  Was the issue withthe quality of the dye?  If I don't bleach first will the blue show up at all?  I kind of like the idea of keeping my dark hair, and just adding a blue tint to it, but I know nothing about thisstuff, and don't know if the hair needs to be bleached for the dye to be absorbed at all, or what.

For your trouble, I'll find a picture of myself with blue and/or green hair later, and post it for your amusement.
Make flame love, not flame war.

Aminal

« Reply #716 on: 25 Apr 2008, 14:44 »

If you don't want it to fade to green, you need to bleach it light enough that all the yellow tones are gone.  This will mean using a higher volume # of peroxide, probably 40volume in your case.  I have to say up front though that it'll still look a bit sickly when it fades, cuz under the best circumstances it fades to grey.

There are permanent hair dyes you can use that will give a midnight blue tint.  It's really most visible under sunlight.

Semi-permanent w/o bleaching first will always be very subtle, even using salon-quality dye.  If you did decide to go this way, make sure to keep your hair shiny and well-conditioned.  That'll help the tint show better in the light.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #717 on: 25 Apr 2008, 14:51 »

Can any of you ladies recommend a good epilator? At the moment I am just looking at reviews on Amazon, but some advice would be helpful.

(I know, not quite the 'hair advice' the thread title refers to, but I don't feel like making a new thread just for this.)

I keep thinking I might buy one, but they all seem so creepy. Not sure why I find it less scary, but I just do at-home sugar waxing instead. Recipes are really easy to find online,  and it hurts a little less than wax so long as you use cornstarch first.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Aminal

« Reply #718 on: 25 Apr 2008, 14:55 »

How does using cornstarch not just make a gross sticky paste?

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #719 on: 25 Apr 2008, 20:27 »

I keep thinking I might buy one, but they all seem so creepy. Not sure why I find it less scary, but I just do at-home sugar waxing instead. Recipes are really easy to find online,  and it hurts a little less than wax so long as you use cornstarch first.

Ah yes, sugaring. Have you ever tried some of the pre-made ones? I'm looking into Moom. Then again, I suppose I could try mixing it myself too.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #720 on: 26 Apr 2008, 03:25 »

My mom had an epilator that I guess was good, but it scared the crap out of me, so I don't know what the name was or anything. Also, it hurt like heeeell and although you were supposed to get used to it, I didn't - probably because I never used it long enough because of the goddamn pain. Waxing hurts way less, for some reason, even though they both rip the hairs out.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #721 on: 26 Apr 2008, 04:13 »

How does using cornstarch not just make a gross sticky paste?
You dust it on first, it helps the sugar goo just stick to the hairs instead of your leg.
Kathy, there really is no reason to buy it as far as I can tell, unless you are getting it professionally done. The ingredients are very inexpensive, and if you know how to use/have a candy thermometer, it's no issue at all to make. This is the recipe I used! http://www.care2.com/greenliving/ancient-egyptian-body-sugaring.html
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #722 on: 26 Apr 2008, 05:17 »

yeah epilators are fucking terrifying and hurt like hell.

probably a really good investment in the long run if you can get past the horrible pain part. i actually own an epilator for some reason but the pain was basically unbearable so i just wax now. the fact that waxing hurts far, far less than using an epilator says something!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #723 on: 26 Apr 2008, 06:30 »

If I'm going to invest in something for the long run for hair removal, it's going to be electrolysis, dammit.  Now that's an investment.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #724 on: 26 Apr 2008, 11:26 »

I need to cut my hair. I need it to be short enough so that it doesn't get in  my eyes while at work.

This is a picture of it a few weeks ago.

Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #725 on: 26 Apr 2008, 19:56 »

Ah yes, sugaring. Have you ever tried some of the pre-made ones? I'm looking into Moom. Then again, I suppose I could try mixing it myself too.

I use Moom.  I love it.  I recommend it to anyone who will listen.  The pain factor is minimal (do yourself a favor and never use it after getting a sunburn...) and it lasts a few weeks.  Also, the strips are reusable and Moom is all natural, so there is the added bonus of being a decent choice for the environmentally conscious, although not nearly as much so as homemade would be, I imagine.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #726 on: 30 Apr 2008, 16:29 »

I think that cut would work well with your hair's natural texture, but I think it'd look better side-parted slightly with maybe swoopy fringe.

Sorry for a bit of a necropost, but...I took your advice, and I'm pretty happy with the results.  Thanks!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #727 on: 30 Apr 2008, 17:00 »

Whoa.

You look, like, ten times better than that other Liz.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #728 on: 30 Apr 2008, 20:30 »

James.

JAMES.

I thought we were friends!

:cry:
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #729 on: 30 Apr 2008, 20:32 »

Wait, that might mean "Yay Liz(zzybeth), your new hair looks excellent! You look ten times better than before and you started pretty!"
Rather than pfff ew midwest Liz;)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #730 on: 30 Apr 2008, 20:54 »

Well, it's a combination of "Whoa this Elizzybeth person looks kind of stunning but I don't want to outright say that because it's a little creepy" and "Man that Liz what the crap is her deal anyways?".

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #731 on: 30 Apr 2008, 22:29 »

Thanks, guys.

Also, Liz, I hope this doesn't ruin our chances of someday being friends (if it does, James, I will be unhappy with you, despite your flattery!)?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #732 on: 30 Apr 2008, 22:41 »

Nah, you're fine.

It's James I am scheduling a cage match with. The dude will not survive.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #733 on: 13 May 2008, 16:32 »

Anyone know the name of a good (cheap too) styling wax?
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #734 on: 13 May 2008, 16:41 »

I use Sunsilk, it is about three bucks, but I don't know if it sells in the US.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #735 on: 14 May 2008, 16:36 »

I use Sunsilk, it is about three bucks, but I don't know if it sells in the US.

I really like sunsilk, and I have access to all the awesome salon product for FREE (well to me, my mom is a hairdresser).

If you're looking for something nice to put in your hair everyday their TLC product worked well on my hair when it was pissed off.

Otherwise, product names I recommend for colour treated hair are probably tec and l'oreal, but l'oreal proffessional is the way to go, you can get it from your salon, it's a bit pricey but good for dry hair. Their colour repair systems are really awesome.

Also, if your hair is really dry, I don't know if this'll help you but it really helped me, try washing your hair every SECOND day, I found that natural oils of my hair really helped. Avoid styling/heat if you don't have to do it etc.

but honestly, I don't know the dry hair damage, so I'd advise talking to a hairdresser and she'll probably recommend a treatment that'll make your hair happy :3
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #736 on: 15 May 2008, 00:21 »

It makes my hair look not ridiculously thin, which is quite an accomplishment.

That hasn't and won't ever be a problem for me, my mum's parents are ridiculously thick-haired.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #737 on: 15 May 2008, 11:12 »

Washing your hair every other day is a good idea regardless of whether your hair is dry or not, because drying it (even leaving it to dry naturally) causes split ends. This is the advice my hairdresser gave me when I went to her saying "why is my hair so crappy?". I never, ever blow dry my hair (I'd love to say it's because I know it's bad for it but it's actually because I'm lazy) and apparently leaving it to dry in the wind causes the ends to break off.

So wash your hair as little as possible without having bad hygeine and towel it as nearly dry as possible before drying it or leaving it. I have some ace hair stuff but I can't remember what it's called and it's a salon-only product you have to buy from your hairdresser directly.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #738 on: 15 May 2008, 17:51 »

I can tell by the phrase 'dry in the wind' that you must have straight hair. If it is going to be windspeeds over about 8mph, I will wake up an hour+ early so my hair dries before I even think about going out in the wind. Curly hair is an ornery bitch.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #739 on: 15 May 2008, 19:54 »

My hair is just kinda wavy but if I let it dry naturally it goes into a curly mass of horribleness. I wash and blow-dry and straighten every day, colour every two weeks or so, and my hair looks and feels fine for it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #740 on: 15 May 2008, 20:34 »

I used to let my hair air dry. I'd shower at night and let it dry while I slept. I do not miss waking up with crazy dents in my hair. Also, my hair gets hella flat if I don't blow dry it.

Anyone know the name of a good (cheap too) styling wax?

When I had short hair, I used L'Oreal and Bed Head wax. The latter was better, but the former works and is pretty cost effective. I think the L'Oreal was around $5 for a jar and Bed Head was $10+, but they do last a while as long as you don't over style. And if you're not the wash your hair everyday type, your hair should hold onto it the next day, too.

I need to take a picture tomorrow, because I need hair advice. I need a haircut, but I need suggestions...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #741 on: 16 May 2008, 10:02 »

My hair is fairly straight, but I find that if I let it dry naturally it goes wavy. I'd love to have properly curly hair, or properly straight hair, it's annoying having wavy hair. Although having said that I like it now more than I've liked it at any point in my life thus far. I think it's the amount of conditioning it gets.

Question, more of an abstract than a specific: do you think having long hair makes you look younger? I don't mean when you're nineteen and it makes you look fifteen, I mean when you're twenties, thirties, forties and it makes you look younger. I can't decide if I think this because most of the adult women I know have short hair, or because it's actually true. Also I'm wondering whether I'll get my hair cut short before I go to university, but that's a long way off yet.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #742 on: 16 May 2008, 10:36 »

I think it depends on your face and the cut you get. Some girls I know look fantastic with their long hair and others look older with short hair. I've had varying degrees of length (longest it's been is how long it is right now and it's a few inches past my shoulders) and personally, I think I do look a bit older with short hair, but it might not be the same for everyone?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #743 on: 17 May 2008, 22:50 »

I have decided to get my hair done like Cary Elwes in Shadow of the Vampire. Except it won't be bleached white, but the style will be the same. This is of course after I get my dreads again.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #744 on: 18 May 2008, 02:25 »

Your first link confused me. Your dreads look cool.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #745 on: 18 May 2008, 02:43 »

Jimmy, I've been trying to work this out for weeks, but I just can't find a connection between what you're saying and the strips you're linking. Are you linking them just because they're neat?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #746 on: 18 May 2008, 03:02 »

If you cannot see the relevance than maybe you are not trying hard enough.

Or maybe I'm trying to fuck with people in a pretty friendly kind of way. Who knows?

sean

• welp
« Reply #747 on: 18 May 2008, 14:03 »

I think what Jimmy is trying to say is "Read a softer world you cunts."

If nobody else posts later ima edit this post up once I take pics. I need hair advice.

Edit: Okay I need hair advice. I want to dye my hair. Here is what it looks like. (apologies for the bluriness, my camera is being a bitch.)

I am personally thinking about dying it blue, but I want to see if the internet has any other suggestions. DO YOU INTERNETS?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 16:50 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #748 on: 19 May 2008, 10:21 »

The trouble with blue is that you usually have to bleach it first, and then the blue very quickly fades and leaves you with a kind of murky green. Same with pink (except it goes orange). If you were prepared to re-dye regularly that could look good! Personally I like your hair colour how it is, but if you want to dye it then please for god's sake do not dye it black with a pink or blue streak, or I will get you mixed up with at least three of my friends.

No offence to anyone with black hair with a coloured streak, it can look very nice but also very samey when you spend your whole day with it.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #749 on: 19 May 2008, 13:06 »

Don't color the whole thing blue! I do like when bits peek out because you still have the color, but a whole head of a bright color makes your face look... not bright... in comparison. Dull, washed out, etc. And you're really cute and I would be a little sad if you got less cute.

I have a little diagonal stripe of blue in the back of my head, and it's very visible but it doesn't frame my face at all. Since we have about the same color hair naturally, yours will probably act like mine will in that you won't see it if you don't bleach first. I color mine about once a month, but I like the color it fades to in that time on me (a pretty light teal color) so you would maybe want to do yours more often.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Up