THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 04 Jun 2024, 21:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)  (Read 640475 times)

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
Re: Hair Advice!!! (NOW WITH RULESSS)
« Reply #950 on: 02 Jan 2009, 08:30 »

i am okay with facial hair for the reason that it is totally natural and being revolted by totally natural things seems a little unreasonable to me. i understand not really liking beards in general, but the hair's going to keep growing there no matter what so you got to accept it to some degree. i am also way too lazy to shave my legs every day, so it's only fair that it go both ways.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2009, 08:32 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #951 on: 02 Jan 2009, 08:52 »

Oh man I love beards! Only real, full/fuzzy beards need apply though.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Gilead

« Reply #952 on: 02 Jan 2009, 09:57 »

I don't mind a well trimmed beard, but unkempt facial hair is like saying that you've rejected being a civilised person who gives a shit about their own presentation, hygeine or relation to society. It's like talking to a charming girl and then realising her armpit hair is so long she could strangle you with it, except far more overt.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #953 on: 02 Jan 2009, 10:06 »

I think it's the rest of someone's unkempt look that is unsettling to me, not the beard. Sam has a moderately unkempt beard but he is dressed sharp, has a nice haircut, etc. He visibly takes care of himself pretty well which greatly diminishes the appearance of the beard as uncivilized.

So to me he just looks like a sharp dressed dude with a hella masculine beard.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Gilead

« Reply #954 on: 02 Jan 2009, 10:18 »

Nope, you could be wearing the sharpest tailored suit on earth but if you have an unkempt beard you're just making a mockery of it.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #955 on: 02 Jan 2009, 10:29 »

Ok so Google images doesn't back me up. But I swear I have seen it work.

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #956 on: 02 Jan 2009, 10:35 »

I usually shave before putting on The Suit (it deserves the capitals) but I know that a certain level of facial fuzz looks kind of cool, especially from age 21-27.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #957 on: 02 Jan 2009, 10:44 »

I am fully on board with Manda on this one. Beards, big ol' fuzzy ones are totally awesome when it is cold out because they are warm.

As for Sam's Beard, I kinda think it adds to his look. He's got all the rugged man basics with the flannel and the work boots, the beard just enhances all that. Though a trim will be nice, I'm sure.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #958 on: 02 Jan 2009, 11:18 »

As with many great stories, this one too begins with "I have this friend ..."

Anyway, I have this friend who has good genes AND is Canadian.
This combination enables him to rock the manliest of beards.
Now comes the kicker.
He can velcro hats into his beard.
That's right, he can take these ear-cover parts of pretty much any woolen hat and latch it onto his face.
Also, once a beard passes a certain threshold of thickness, it becomes impermeable to cold.
Even if it is snowing heavily, the snow will be stopped by the beard and melt over the skin instead of on top of it, forming a beard-mounted ice windbreaker for your faciness.

Beards are awesome.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #959 on: 02 Jan 2009, 13:10 »

i am okay with facial hair for the reason that it is totally natural and being revolted by totally natural things seems a little unreasonable to me. i understand not really liking beards in general, but the hair's going to keep growing there no matter what so you got to accept it to some degree. i am also way too lazy to shave my legs every day, so it's only fair that it go both ways.

I don't like beards personally...it seems silly to cover up a perfectly good face. Unless you have a deformed chin, in which case by all means...
Your argument amuses me. How do you feel about long pit hair on women? Or women with mustaches that don't remove it? I'm personally not revolted by it, but I think I'm in the minority here.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #960 on: 02 Jan 2009, 14:21 »

Tania is probably not the person to be accusing of being anti-feminist about hairstyling
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

mbb

« Reply #961 on: 02 Jan 2009, 14:30 »

Tania is probably not the person to be accusing of being anti-feminist about hairstyling

I'm not accusing her of being anti-feminist. Just pointing out apparent silliness to an argument, no more no less. Society as a whole doesn't seem more likely to embrace things because it's "natural". Eh.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #962 on: 02 Jan 2009, 14:38 »

Eh

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #963 on: 02 Jan 2009, 14:40 »

it was in response to the poster before me who said facial hair of any kind was "revolting" which i thought was an unnecessarily strong word to use. there is a difference between thinking something doesn't look particularly stylish and thinking it's utterly disgusting. i don't think armpit hair looks very good either but i'm not going to vomit if i see it on a lady, it's just hair. i sometimes go weeks without shaving though, so obviously i don't represent everybody.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

mbb

« Reply #964 on: 02 Jan 2009, 14:55 »

it was in response to the poster before me who said facial hair of any kind was "revolting" which i thought was an unnecessarily strong word to use. there is a difference between thinking something doesn't look particularly stylish and thinking it's utterly disgusting. i don't think armpit hair looks very good either but i'm not going to vomit if i see it on a lady, it's just hair. i sometimes go weeks without shaving though, so obviously i don't represent everybody.

Yeah, sorry if I came off abrasive. <3

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #965 on: 02 Jan 2009, 19:25 »

Way to quote the post above you!

I think I am pretty lucky to have someone who doesn't really care if it takes me two weeks to remember that I was going to shave [body part]. This is especially true since exes have made big deals about being clean shaven or not, depending on their preferences, and since he leaves it up to me it comes down to what I want me to look like instead.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

mbb

« Reply #966 on: 02 Jan 2009, 19:44 »

Way to quote the post above you!
Sorry I offended you. I'll try not to do it in the future.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2009, 20:01 by mbb »

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #967 on: 02 Jan 2009, 20:16 »

High quality boarding around here, yessir

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #968 on: 02 Jan 2009, 22:35 »

High quality boarding around here, yessir

You are absolutely right.

Blah blah blah I'm amper blah blah blah.

I even quote the post below me.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #969 on: 03 Jan 2009, 00:35 »

Guys I am thinking of getting my hair cut. Granted, this will probably take quite a while to implement, because I have learned my lesson about going to Great Clips and asking for their $14 haircut deal and getting the only person on duty at the moment who didn't actually know how to cut someone's hair before 6 weeks ago and certainly doesn't know how to deal with curly hair and then as she is hacking at the dead bits of my hair insults it by saying "you know, there are creams and irons and stuff that could fix this".

So basically I will have to find a decent place before this happens, but I am thinking of cutting off like ten inches or something. Right now it comes to the top of the waistband on my jeans. Is mid-shoulder blade length a good idea y/n? Should I go a bit shorter?  I am not going to cut it to shoulder-length precisely because it is going to spring up into itself something horrible and I will end up with an afro or a mane, but I like the idea of hacking off most of my hair. Plus, if I don't like it, in six months it'll be back down to my butt, so whatever.

It is longer than this now. When Tommy uploads his photos from this whole Scotland shindig I will link one that is more recent.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #970 on: 03 Jan 2009, 00:38 »

I would suggest leaving it a bit longer when you first cut it.  You can always go shorter if you feel comfortable with it, and find a decent hairdresser (which is such a pain in the ass) but you can't really do anything about it if it gets cut too short the first time around.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #971 on: 03 Jan 2009, 01:12 »

...Except wait for it to grow, right? Hair does that, I think. I am not really terrified of a bad haircut.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #972 on: 03 Jan 2009, 03:06 »

I say go for it. Drastic changes like that are always really fun to pull on people. I went from having super long hair (like down to my shoulders) to a mohawk and people shat bricks when they saw me the next day. Of course, I mostly go from having really shaggy (like just below my earlobes) hair to super short cuts because I am too lazy to consistently get my hair cut, but it still seems to surprise people.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #973 on: 03 Jan 2009, 05:10 »

I think you could go shorter than that photo. Maybe right below or around your shoulder blades would be good.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #974 on: 03 Jan 2009, 07:11 »

I say go for it. Drastic changes like that are always really fun to pull on people.

Be careful; it didn't work for her!

mbb

« Reply #975 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:54 »

I think just below the shoulders would be pleasant. I've never been a fan of hair much longer than that because it doesn't really frame your face well at that point. It'll be tricky though, unless perhaps you find someone skilled with cutting dry hair. (my sister has naturally curly hair and it's usually cut partially when dry when good results happen...half the time she comes home less than satisfied because the hairdresser didn't properly account for the springiness of the curls)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #976 on: 03 Jan 2009, 17:57 »

I was pretty sure Joe's link was going to be to Britney Spears' shaved head from 2007.
Ho, ho, ho!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #977 on: 03 Jan 2009, 18:10 »

My hair is at about the bottom of my shoulder blades in length at the moment, and I actually got a haircut that I like recently. Normally hairdressers just cut it like it is straight, so I get weird layers in it, or in the case of the haircut before this one one side was longer than the other. The hairdresser I went to in Sydney cut my hair after washing it, but I wore it out when I went in so they could see how curly it was. Most of the time I get so much of the thickness cut out that when it grows out it looks awful. I am actually liking my hair at this length at the moment; I am sure the urge to get it cut super short and dyed crazy colours will return sooner or later, though.

What I am saying in a long and rambling way is that mid-shoulder blade would probably be a good length to have without it going super-afro-poofy curly, but maybe try and get recommendations for a hairdresser who does good cuts for curly hair? You just need to try and get it layered or something so that it's not all bottom-heavy with the curls and triangle hair.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #978 on: 03 Jan 2009, 18:43 »

I was pretty sure Joe's link was going to be to Britney Spears' shaved head from 2007.

That's what I thought! But it wasn't. Hint: It's an article from the year 2000.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #979 on: 03 Jan 2009, 21:22 »

I got drunk the other night and woke up with a new hair-cut. It's kind of a quiff/faux-hawky thing. I'm not sure how I feel about it now that I'm sober.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #980 on: 03 Jan 2009, 21:54 »

Show us Nick.  I am dying to see you with a quiff.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #981 on: 04 Jan 2009, 03:03 »

The best haircut(s) I have had were always with wet hair, because curly hair is impossible to manage or make look good when it is dry, and were layered. Not the kind of layered that your mom had in the 70s and 80s, to make her hair bigger, but opposite, with only about an inch's difference between each one, and the shortest one on the outside. It was very effective at preventing triangle-head and looked quite good because all the curliest bits were not stacked on top of each other and you could see them all.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #982 on: 04 Jan 2009, 03:18 »

yeah, the layers I got in my hair recently were done by twisting bits and having a lot of small cuts made in it at various intervals. This way of layering grows out well, rather than the step-like layers, which gave me a glorified mullet. I noticed when my hair was growing out of my last haircut that there was a certain point where the layers made my hair do completely different things; the longer layers had enough weight that the curls dropped, whereas the top layers were still super curly, so it looked terrible.

Man; curly hair.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

evernew

• Curry sauce
« Reply #983 on: 04 Jan 2009, 07:30 »

:mrgreen: =>  8-)

I did it.
Mostly because my broken shoulder makes personal hygiene a way bigger deal and I save tons of time and arm movements for washing my hair.
But I did it.
I cut it off. All of it. Well, I left a little, but compared to the bird's nest I had on my head before, i.e. ...

this ...

it now looks a little bit more like ...

this.

Josefbugman

« Reply #984 on: 04 Jan 2009, 08:35 »

You looked like a cross between Jonothan Coulton and Oscar Wilde beforehand, I would suggest returning to that look next autumn/winter. The new style is a bit close cut for my taste, but its a good look, perhaps a little more hawkish, but it will mean that by spring it will have started to grow out again and you can style it then at least.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

evernew

• Curry sauce
« Reply #985 on: 04 Jan 2009, 08:49 »

You looked like a cross between Jonothan Coulton and Oscar Wilde beforehand, I would suggest returning to that look next autumn/winter. The new style is a bit close cut for my taste, but its a good look, perhaps a little more hawkish, but it will mean that by spring it will have started to grow out again and you can style it then at least.

Man, Oscar Wilde had a wonky face.
And I really cut it off mostly because washing long hair with one good arm is tedious.
Once I get better and my usual lazy hairiness (or hairy laziness?) kicks in, I'll be back in Bird's Nest, Afroland before I know it.
Until then, almost-bald is beautiful.

Josefbugman

« Reply #986 on: 04 Jan 2009, 08:57 »

I think hairy laziness sounds better. I would disagree about that though, tha chances of you getting a cold along with a busted arm while you are without a warming covering of head fluff would worry me no end. Still, good luck and I hope that you enjoy the lack of shampoo you will be using.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #987 on: 04 Jan 2009, 08:58 »

The cut I think is a great improvement. The biggest issue with curled out hair of that length is that it tends to look a bit unprofessional in dressy clothes.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #988 on: 04 Jan 2009, 09:21 »

Short hair +  stubble +  glasses = win!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #989 on: 04 Jan 2009, 11:25 »

I got drunk the other night and woke up with a new hair-cut. It's kind of a quiff/faux-hawky thing. I'm not sure how I feel about it now that I'm sober.

I wish my hair was anything other than dead thin, limp and straight as a ruler. I would rock a quiff so hard if I could ever get one to work.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

evernew

• Curry sauce
« Reply #990 on: 04 Jan 2009, 11:47 »

The cut I think is a great improvement. The biggest issue with curled out hair of that length is that it tends to look a bit unprofessional in dressy clothes.

I've had comments about my wild hair in job interviews ... and those days it was on its best behavior, neatly combed and all!
The corporate world won't know what hit them now that I look so normal and adjusted to society.
Damn fools, the whole bunch.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #991 on: 04 Jan 2009, 22:01 »

Guys so basically this is what I think I want. Can I pull it off? What do I do to accomplish that? Do I need any products?

I don't know about blow-drying but you shouldn't condition that much, a couple of times a week is best, usually. How quickly does your hair get noticeable greasy if you don't shampoo or condition it?

Just go to a good hairdressers (a unisex salon would be better if you currently go to a barber) and ask them to make it shaggy, not much shorter, and whatever else you want. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how much you like it.

I found what I was trying to describe earlier. I still think you would rock this look, and I'm seriously tempted to get it myself.

It gets a little flat the day after and noticeably greasy on the second day.

I've been trying to do this ever since I cut the long hair off and have been consistently disappointed by various people at various salons.

The guy singing?

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #992 on: 04 Jan 2009, 22:38 »

It depends. The front of your hair, do you have a cowlick or is that how you style it? I'm assuming cowlick since that's how it is in all the pictures; it looks like it would make it hard to do almost everything with it. The only thing I can think of that could make it work is just to blow dry your hair with the barrel facing downwards, and brush back and forth like windshield washers on the fringe part.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #993 on: 05 Jan 2009, 06:01 »

Yeah, the guy singing (Calvin johnson). The best way to get hair like that photo would be to get it chopped up and use mousse, but like BM said your hair looks a bit awkward.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #994 on: 05 Jan 2009, 18:37 »

Yeah that's the most significant thing that bothers me about it. I'll try blowdrying the cowlick out next time.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #995 on: 07 Jan 2009, 08:25 »

So I might try making my hair like this.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #996 on: 07 Jan 2009, 08:37 »

Yes! Do it!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #997 on: 07 Jan 2009, 15:42 »

Show us Nick.  I am dying to see you with a quiff.

Sorry, just got back from the Snowy Mountains... I'll take a photo soonish when it's all quiffed up.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #998 on: 07 Jan 2009, 15:57 »

I don't know when Calvin Johnson became a fashion idol, but I like it. Last time I saw him, he had kind of a cop do.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #999 on: 08 Jan 2009, 05:22 »

Argh! I had my hair cut yesterday and now, I can't figure out where she put my parting and really, it still looks a goddamn mess. Not at all impressed.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 05:24 by Gemmwah »
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58   Go Up