THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 Jun 2024, 01:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 954297 times)

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Well, I'm gonna take extra care of my ticket then. Just so nothing like this happens, thank you.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

scarred

• Older than Moses

apparently there was a live in-studio at KEXP (where I'm interning) with The Mountain Goats today. I heard Darnielle's distinct croon through the walls and found out all work in the building was stopped because everybody was watching. it was kind of the shit.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Are TV on the Radio any good live?  I've been wanting to see them for a while now but tix are $40.50 + whatever bullshit charges get tacked on.  I won't spend this much unless they're particularly spectacular live.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

beatkinda

• Not quite a lurker

tv on the radio are great live. if you love their music that ridiculous price is worth it.  pumped to see kurt vile and j mascis again in chicago. kurt vile is a complete guitar nerd and they are LOUD

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

hey sean if you suck my dick i'll let you touch the hand that touched gy!be
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

OK, so one of my friends is thinking of selling his Godspeed ticket. This is either where I a) kill him, or b) try to convince him to sell it to me. I already sort of tried, but he claims that he wants to sell it for a lot of money (assuming that he can), and that he would feel bad selling it to me for that much, but that he also needs the money. I NEED THAT TICKET.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

kill the person who he sells it to.

I'm seeing The Twilight Sad + Mogwai on Monday. YES.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

apparently there was a live in-studio at KEXP (where I'm interning)

PAUSE THIS THREAD
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

scarred that is fucking awesome dude, congratulations
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

Yo La Tengo were pretty good! Except that I think they've reached the stage of their touring life where they're bored of appeasing anyone. Their entire tour is based around bringing a giant wheel (of fortune style) and spinning it to determine what set they play. We landed on "Sounds of Science", so the first half of the night was dedicated to ambient stuff.

And they didn't play Sugarcube what the fuck.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

What has two thumbs and got Post-Rocked by GY!BE and Om last night?

this guy

this guy, right fucking here

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!

Things that concerned me: Every time Om played a song, a mummy came back to life.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

What has two thumbs and got Post-Rocked by GY!BE and Om last night?

this guy

this guy, right fucking here

hrng
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

Swans in T-Minus 2 days.

I got an invitation to Deerhoof but I have to be up really early the next day.

Also went to see my friend's band (Cotton Keys, they are up in the M/F thread so get get some) play in a local community art space. It is actually a pretty cool venue, and as long as you schedule you can play for free!

There is me on the left.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2011, 15:39 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I bought tickets to go see Dan Deacon in Belgium. Also playing are Battles, but meh.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer

Mogwai played in Edinburgh tonight, supported by The Twilight Sad. I was not there, but friends were. Friends who will boast tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm going to see Vessels, they're pretty good and I'm looking forward to it.

This line-up was also just announced: COPY HAHO + JULIAN LYNCH + DUCKTAILS + BIG TROUBLES playing at The Tunnels in Aberdeen. I actually did this:  :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Hey KaosPilot, I was there. I am boasting.

Fucking awesome. Bought the sub pop singles, and The Twilight Sad's Forget The Night Ahead which is fantastic.

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer

Well, just fuck you. Not in a mean way, just in a dismissive way. Seriously though, those two bands together. Gah. At least I've seen 'em both a couple times. But together? Gah.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Swans

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pics and (poor) video soonish!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I went to see Swans! Best show I've ever been to. Met the band, they signed all my stuff, really humble people, great live musicians.

Here is a video of the intro to "No Words / No Thoughts". Swans are sort of like a drone-metal band with good stage presence - they played 8 songs for about 3 hours total. They even played a new song, which was billed as "NEW SONG" on the setlist but I was close enough to see Michael Gira's handwritten lyric sheet for the track and it is apparently called "Apostate". The camera-phone recording I got of it is mostly dull, since the sound blows, but the final 40 seconds or so are made up a Phil Puleo drum solo that just about destroyed me. When I get the video to post, that "Holy Shit!" you hear at the end is me.

Opener was a band called Wooden Wand, sort of an outlaw country / blues band. They were pretty good.

Setlist.

Chris Pravdica (of Flux Information Sciences, Services, etc.), bass player. It was tough to get a frontward view of the guy, but we chatted him up real good after the show. He was in a seminal Massachusetts band called... The Interminable Popes? Something sort of like that.

The elusive Thor Harris, of Shearwater, a talented multi-instrumentalist who played a number of percussive and melodic instruments. Favorite had to be xylophone bars played with violin strings. He is a hairy manly man but he is possibly the sweetest guy you could ever talk to.

From where we were standing, we barely had view of Thor (and no view whatsoever of Phil Puleo, unfortunately).

Michael Gira is as much a conductor as a singer. It seems like he changes arrangements on the fly and directs his bandmates to hold their bludgeoning for another bar or bring in the cymbal crashes early. His perfectionism is off-putting to some extent (makes him look like a bossy boss) but it certainly fits with his persona as a mad genius.=

When Norman Westburg isn't playing, he stands exactly like this, motionless, with a contemptuous scowl on his face. It's actually really intimidating. Where Michael Gira is a whirlwind of manic energy, Westburg exudes barely controlled violence. We were standing right in front of him and I was genuinely worried he would hurt me, since I was blatantly filming and snapping shots. He had a red splotch on his left shoe that may or may not have been blood.

I like this shot. It's hard to separate out of focus pictures and pictures of motion, but the mic in the foreground is a clear indicator that it's Gira, not the camera, that's moving.

Gira gesticulates wildly during his performances - For such an atheistic individual, his concerts play like Charismatic revivals, with improvised dances, speaking in tongues, and lots of shouting.

Thor with the oboe power.

Highlights of the show were the breakdown in "Sex God Sex" where Gira is left to chant "JESUS CHRIST, COME DOWN, COME DOWN NOW" whilst vigorously slapping himself in the face. Really unexpected and powerful. He also spit on the audience, grabbed and pulled at his crotch, shook his ass (and let audience members slap it) and broke several guitar strings.

Between-song banter: "COLLEGE ROCK... FOLLOWING CLOSELY IN THE STEPS OF ARCADE FIRE" (Gira apparently has a strong dislike of Arcade Fire). Introducing his band and then himself as Sarah Palin. Expressing a wish to taste the bodily fluids of every person in the venue.

Talked a bit to Christoph Hahn (who looks and sounds just like an elderly version of Tommy, oddly enough) and Chris Pradvica, who I didn't realize was in a lot of experimental industrial bands I really enjoy. Phil Puleo and Norman Westburg were not going out to the floor to meet fans but they signed stuff from the stage and were generally friendly. Gira had his signature ten-gallon hat and cigar at the merch table but I only exchanged a few cliched words with him. He has a hells of firm handshake. Thor Harris is a total sweetheart and we met some friends of his who had been guest-listed.

I have more videos but they'll probably have to be uploaded tomorrow!
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

valley_parade

• coprophage

I'm going to get a ticket for Iron & Wine in April.

If done right, I should get back from the Red Sox game in Boston that day in time to catch whoever's opening for 20 minutes or so, and get the full Iron & Wine..ness.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

KvP, that looks like it was amazing.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!

8 songs in three hours? Godspeed played 7 songs in two hours twenty minutes, I think the latter's definitely beat.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Thor Harris! I still have that broken drumstick you gave me!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Oh and thread related: Th Mountain Goats! In Glasgow! I'm so excited, can't wait. might actually go down to London and see them there first, because I'm in love.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock

Guys Explosions in the Sky have announced they are playing with Arcade Fire in Austin in May! I am hovering back and forth between going home (to Austin) or staying at school for the summer, but this is leaning me heavily in the former direction!
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

KvP, that looks like it was amazing.
If you have the chance to see them live, take it. It is so worth it. Buy some earplugs off of Amazon, while you're at it.

8 songs in three hours? Godspeed played 7 songs in two hours twenty minutes, I think the latter's definitely beat.
Yeah, but if you count intros (I don't) it's more like 11 or so. With the extended instrument-bashing passages "I Crawled" was at least half an hour long.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 12:51 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Just curious. What did Godspeed play live?

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!

Hope Drone
Gathering Storm
Monheim
Albanian
Chart #3 > World Police and Friendly Fire
Dead Metheny
Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls (Taser Floyd on setlist)
Blaise Bailey Finnegan III

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Video of a new Swans song, "Apostate", played last night. It may be the first time it was ever played (at the least, this leg of the tour is its first appearance) - the lyrics sheet was handwritten at least. Sound quality isn't great but it's good enough. Intro ends about 6:35. Money shot is from about 14:35 on, where Phil Puleo melts faces clean off. The "HOLY SHIT" is me.

From what I can remember, the lyrics tended to consist of chants of "INSIDE MY MIND", "LET ME PLAY" and "STAR FUCK".
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 13:42 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU

Hope Drone
Gathering Storm
Monheim
Albanian
Chart #3 > World Police and Friendly Fire
Dead Metheny
Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls (Taser Floyd on setlist)
Blaise Bailey Finnegan III

Okay, well that must have been amazing. Only thing I'd love to be there that isn't is Dead Flag Blues.

Fissioninferno

• Not quite a lurker
  • Party-Bringer
    • Flaming Atom, Tumblr or some crap

If I can ever see Devin Townsend live I can die a happy man.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Grouper and Zelienople are playing a show on my campus in a garage in April. It's easily the show I'm most excited for this year.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

Awesome Swans pics Kvp! Me and my band went to see them last semester and although we took a bunch of awesome pictures, only one survived:

Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

hannahsaurusrex

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp

After ECCC I'm going to Yann Tiersen.
I will cry due to the beauty/badassery.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

So I decided to skip out on those TVotR tickets.  I would have really liked to see them (especially since I like that song that leaked from the new album) but the tickets just weren't the right price.  Instead I spent about the same to go see one of the LCD Soundsystem Terminal 5 dates.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

valley_parade

• coprophage

I want to go to Fest 10.

I really want to go to Fest 10. http://www.thefestfl.com/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Black Lips in April! I didn't even know they were coming to Montreal! I am excited!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Catacombs that was probably the right choice.

I bought tickets (well, a name on the door, there's no physical tickets) to the FOUND album launch this thursday! Yeah!

scarred

• Older than Moses

Baths tonight, Braids and Gobble Gobble are opening. This one should be good.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Now, we all know I'm not a Sonic Youth fan.

But Thurston Moore is going to play a set with Nels Cline at Solid Sound this summer, and that can only end up being noisy and interesting. Count me in.

imagist42

Guys Explosions in the Sky have announced they are playing with Arcade Fire in Austin in May! I am hovering back and forth between going home (to Austin) or staying at school for the summer, but this is leaning me heavily in the former direction!

Oh damn guys, now I discover that Okkervil River are playing near my school in June! But then again they are also playing in Dallas! I guess this is a question of whether I want to see them with Titus Andronicus (at school) or Arcade Fire (at home)! And, you know, what I want to do with my four months of summer, but that's just a minor issue...
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

There is no fucking way I will miss Future Islands, Titus Andronicus, AND Okkervil River in one show. Good lord.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Oh damn guys, now I discover that Okkervil River are playing near my school in June! But then again they are also playing in Dallas! I guess this is a question of whether I want to see them with Titus Andronicus (at school) or Arcade Fire (at home)! And, you know, what I want to do with my four months of summer, but that's just a minor issue...

See Arcade Fire. EitS put on an absolutely amazing show as well. TA are fun but the former will definitely be a better show

Now, we all know I'm not a Sonic Youth fan.

But Thurston Moore is going to play a set with Nels Cline at Solid Sound this summer, and that can only end up being noisy and interesting. Count me in.

Seeing Moore out of the context of Sonic Youth is bound to be great. I saw him with Chris Corsano and Bill Nace doing an hour long improvised noise piece and it was mind blowing. Totally floored me.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2011, 11:32 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

imagist42

Thing is, I'm more excited about the EitS part of that show than Arcade Fire. I've seen Arcade Fire. I can't imagine I have that much to gain by seeing them, especially twice (Okkervil and EitS), and I'm sure their presence will drive up the ticket prices.

Durin

• Furry furrier

Arcade Fire and EitS will be in my hometown while I'll be 3 states away in Illinois. Why the hell did I decide to go to school in Illinois again?

Oh well. I'll be seeing Mogwai when they come to Houston which should be pretty exciting.

scarred

• Older than Moses

Holy shit, Baths was nuts. Braids and Gobble Gobble were both excellent, but Baths takes the cake because he's a pudgy white dude with a Macbook and an MPD32 who managed to get a house full of young, shy indie-types to dance their faces off. Great stage presence too, and just an all-around brilliant show.

Also the lead singer chick from Braids was deathly sick but still managed to kill it with her mad vocal skills. I mean they sound decent on record but live, those kids are massive.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

^^^
this is why I've seen braids 5 times in 5 months. One of the most amazing live bands I've seen, and the drummer always looks like he's having so much fun. Incredibly nice people also.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58   Go Up