Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445535 times)

sidpatt

• Not quite a lurker
  • Who's that at the door?
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1500 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:17 »

Heh -- if so, the toolbox is getting laaarrrger . . .   :-D

Shirley you jest...

I never jest. And don't call me Shirley.
IT'S SECRETARIAT!!!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1501 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:18 »

Oh my goodness guys. Don't you see what this means?

Next storyline: Tai tires of her polygamous ways and realizes her deep love for Marten, turning straight to console him.

The Taitenic? but we know that sinks already...

I'm pretty sure it would hit a Doraberg.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #1502 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:20 »

I think everyone calling for Marten to take a more active hand may not realize that being broken up may give him more room to do just that.

And if I'm going to be frank, it seems like a good chunk of this board wants Marten to grow his balls to elephantian proportions. You know, completely defy his characterization. He's not as wimpy as he keeps getting called anyway.

Janny

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1503 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:22 »

Why should he go out drinking with Steve? Faye is the one with the emergency burbon.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Faye might like to stay out of this one. Marten going to her for consolatory booze would probably just prove that Dora's right.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1504 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:32 »

Next storyline: Tai tires of her polygamous ways and realizes her deep love for Marten, turning straight to console him.

No, no, it doesn't sink -- it goes down.

:-D

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

ubermannen

« Reply #1505 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:35 »

I really hoped this wasn't going to turn out this way.  Too close to my own life right now.  Hopefully Martin mans up a bit more than I have and is able to get Dora back.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #1506 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:37 »

D

Is that an iceberg in your pants or are you just happy to see me.

grimeyville

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1507 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:43 »

:psyduck:

It occurs to me, (ltr;ftp) that Marten may not have anyone to rely on anyway. We have people in relationships of all varities, and although some of these girls have had feelings for Marten, that might make the boys clutch on a little tighter. As for Tai... She will be there for Dora in days. Marten is surrounded by people in relationships, same with Dora. Yet I don't see Marten bouncing back from this one. I feel like Dora however will be there for Tai's grasp and go for it because "hey, this is a girl and all my horrible exes were guys".
"Who Dares, Wins."

Emperor Norton

« Reply #1508 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:47 »

It occurs to me, (ltr;ftp) that Marten may not have anyone to rely on anyway. We have people in relationships of all varities, and although some of these girls have had feelings for Marten, that might make the boys clutch on a little tighter. As for Tai... She will be there for Dora in days. Marten is surrounded by people in relationships, same with Dora. Yet I don't see Marten bouncing back from this one. I feel like Dora however will be there for Tai's grasp and go for it because "hey, this is a girl and all my horrible exes were guys".

Man, this concept just sounds like kick Marten day. As if there isn't enough drama, if Dora started dating MARTEN'S BOSS... yeaaaaaahhhh... just a little awkward.

Also, I don't see it happening. Tai is Marten's friend, and she has always in the strip seemed like not the type to screw over a friend consciously.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1509 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:51 »

INSIGHT ALERT! INSIGHT ALERT! Do not read if you're not willing to listen to reason!

It struck me as I was on my way to work last night what, exactly, was the problem with everyone going bat-guano insane over the breakup arc.

We, as readers, are falling for the Author Avatar fallacy. Yes, I know, "Author Avatar" is a TV Trope (and no, I won't link to it here so as to drive you crazy for the rest of the day), but in this case, I think it's the heart of our strong reactions to this whole storyline.

Most readers know at least a bit about Jeph - lives in NoHo, married with a dog, that sort of thing. After all these years and all the strips, we know that sometimes Jeph has put bits and pieces of himself into the protagonist of the story (namely, Marten).

Jeph's a music geek; Marten's a music geek. Jeph has a thing for guitars; so does Marty. Jeph has distinct opinions about things (as he outlines in his posts under the comic) that Marten expresses in the panels of the comic.

Our finite human brains, as we are prone to do, automatically make assumptions based on this information. We tend to think that if Marten likes waffles, it's because Jeph likes waffles. It's the same reason why so many people bet the favorite when they put money down on sports - team A has won in the past, ergo team A will continue to win in the near future.

And that's where we get to our current story arc. See, Marten and Dora is, whether you like it or not, the longest running "pair-up" in the strip. Unfortunately, that doesn't match up with our Author Avatar fallacy - Jeph's married, ergo Marten and Dora are a OTP that should lead to marriage. Or, at least, to not breaking up.

There's a problem with this, though: just from the way that Jeph has told the story (perhaps not intentionally putting himself in Marten's shoes, but just as a good author writes dialogue for his characters), he has pretty much made it difficult for him to do anything but keep Marten and Dora together.

I'm probably dredging things up from one of the other 30+ pages on this thread, but consider this: Dora's been a cast member for over 1700 strips; her first date with Marty was before even "The Talk"; she and Marten have been together as a couple for nearly 1200 strips. We've speculated how much time that is within the comic (probably about two years, from what Jeph and other sources have suggested); we are probably at the point where things either get real serious or end badly.

The problem is that Dora, just because of who she is, is key to the entire strip. You all realize that we knew where Faye worked before Faye  moved in with Marten? COD has been the focal point of the strip for nearly the entire run of the strip (strip NINE, fer cryin' out loud!). Now, 1,790 strips later, we're essentially suggesting with the breakup that we're no longer going to see the focal point of the strip because of TEH DRAMA?

That is bad storytelling. And I honestly do not believe (at least, not until this arc is finished) that Jeph would tell a story that badly. If he does... well, I don't think I'll go into that. I mean, this isn't going to be L. Ron Hubbard-level bad storytelling as much as perhaps Douglas Adams.

I will say this again: I firmly believe that the next words out of Marten's mouth will define him as a character for the rest of the strip. If he rolls over and plays dead, then he deserves all the fecal matter that gets dumped on him in life, and Jeph might as well rename the strip "Everybody Hates Marten." If he stands up for himself, and refuses to take Dora's warped worldview for the truth - well, then.

I know, I'm getting into TL,DR territory. Bottom line is this, though: anything less than a "NO" out of Marten's mouth isn't going to cut it.

(grabs the Nine Iron of Doom for the eventual responses - especially if I'm wrong)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1510 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:52 »

That could be very interesting to see - I think that would endanger Marten's job.

SO many ways Jeph could fuck with the 'Core Cast' in the next couple days..   awesome.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1511 on: 18 Nov 2010, 15:59 »

INSIGHT ALERT! INSIGHT ALERT! Do not read if you're not willing to listen to reason!

We, as readers, are falling for the Author Avatar fallacy. Yes, I know, "Author Avatar" is a TV Trope (and no, I won't link to it here so as to drive you crazy for the rest of the day), but in this case, I think it's the heart of our strong reactions to this whole storyline.

SNIP!

I don't _think_ I'm falling for Author Avatar. Absolutely something to consider.

married with a dog

SNIP!

Shelby-Sama is the best character Jeph has ever written, you must acknowledge this.

I know, I'm getting into TL,DR territory. Bottom line is this, though: anything less than a "NO" out of Marten's mouth isn't going to cut it.

Define 'cut it', if you would. I don't believe that there is a need for Marten and Dora to be 'together'. I believe that there is a LOT of good solid plot and drama that Jeph could extract from the current situation and history down either path, if you present Marten/Dora as a binary solution set.

Of course, I'm biased as hell - I want to see Dora put _under_ a bus, not on a bus. Figure another 6-7 hours before we get a new strip, right... ?

guyy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1512 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:00 »

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, given the 30+ pages in here...

But...I'll be surprised if nothing unexpected happens tomorrow, given that it's #1800, and this comic's previous track record with strip number influence. Not to mention the vagueness of the wording in today's newspost.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 16:02 by guyy »

someone1074

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #1513 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:02 »

snip

Or we could just...wait a few hours and see? I mean I actually agree with the general direction of your interpretation (that this won't be the end of the relationship), but your post may be the worst offender yet with regard to those predicting Jeph's writing. You've put his own life into the equation.

I guess I just don't see the point in these really serious attempts to predict the outcome.

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1514 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:05 »

Warning - while you were reading 10 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. Sigh.

Anyways, I hope there's no marriage between these two, at least not right now. I prefer change, and what is marriage going to lead to? Will it really be any different between them? Someone said earlier in this thread about how people who get married to solve problems never do, and things will be no different here.

Emperor Norton

« Reply #1515 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:09 »

I wasn't seeing any real author avatar attitudes here. There is a lot of projection of our own experiences onto it... but I don't think people have really done the Marten = Jeph thing. Even the visual difference between the two screams against it, much less my opinions on the personalities (granted, I know less about Jeph than I do about Marten, but they don't seem all that similar really.)

amandathehunter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1516 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:12 »

Something my mother told me a long time ago:

"If you want someone to change, they have to do it before you marry them. Once you're married, you're there, they see no reason to change, it validates the behavior."

So i don't see dora/marten marriage happening unless dora magically wakes the F*CK up.

I will be honest, even though I don't really ship Marten/Faye. I kinda hope this arc ends with Marten walking into the apartment, and Faye is all "are you ok?" and he just grabs her and kisses her.

But that's my internal sappy romantic talking. There's nothing to see here, Move along.

Also....  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #1517 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:16 »

STUFF

Regarding your Avatar: I HAVE 99 PROBLEMS/THEY ARE ALL YOU
IF LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS/FIND A NEW GOD

Insanity Wolf BEST Wolf!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1518 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:17 »

"Cut it" would mean "good story telling". If Marten doesn't refuse Dora's breakup attempt, it's going to make for a lousy story from here out.

---

Something I should share: long long ago, back when many of you were still in kindergarten or grade school, I met my future wife. I was just getting out of college, and wanted to get out of the nowhere 9-5 grunt job that I was in. So, with her encouragement, I decided to try for a job that I thought was one thing - but turned out to be essentially sales and marketing. I hated it, quit three days in, and ended up taking a job in food service at a race track.

My step-mom HATED the fact that I was working there, and she blamed my then-girlfriend. This one time, she actually cornered her - as I was standing there - and yelled at her as the reason why I was struggling and still living at home. I remember that moment vividly. She went out of the house crying; I went downstairs and literally had a tantrum (imagine Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman")... and it was at that point that I had my "NO!" moment.

I think I proposed to her like a month later. We didn't get married for another year (I took a new job), but we DID get married.

Did we have a perfect relationship? No. Will it ever be perfect? No.

Am I still crazy in love with her? You better believe it.

Would I want the same for Marten (even if he's a fictional comic character)? Yes.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

xerada

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1519 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:23 »

what the? again three pages? I wasn't away THAT long! Augh, damn my compulsiveness.

First of all: I can't believe I'm reading marriage in some of the posts. I don't think you're serious (at least I hope not) but you created pictures in my mind. Like, blurred close-ups on Dora's and Marten's faces, a tear of joy, sweet, sweet, daily soap music... oh GOD never do that again.

Second: Author Avatar? Seriously? naaah, I'd never think of that. I think the people who want them back together just know some rough times in their relationships, and know that, sometimes, if you stick together and make it work, your relationship is stronger and better afterwards.
 I don't mean to say that it is the right opinion; sticking together no matter what can make you stay in a really bad relationship that makes your life hell. I can't say what it is for Marten and Dora, but I love the storyline.

(WTF 4 new replies!)

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #1520 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:26 »

See, Marten and Dora is, whether you like it or not, the longest running "pair-up" in the strip. Unfortunately, that doesn't match up with our Author Avatar fallacy - Jeph's married, ergo Marten and Dora are a OTP that should lead to marriage. Or, at least, to not breaking up.

There's a problem with this, though: just from the way that Jeph has told the story (perhaps not intentionally putting himself in Marten's shoes, but just as a good author writes dialogue for his characters), he has pretty much made it difficult for him to do anything but keep Marten and Dora together.

Hmm.  I see what you're saying (and sorry for chopping it up), but I'm not sure I agree.  Even if one accepts that the Author Avatar concept applies to Marten, it would only mean he was modeled on a younger Jeph.  Marten's in his 20's.  So was Jeph when he started this strip, but he's 30 now and (probably!) wiser.  Whatever Jeph's drawing from to write his strip, likely to be a mix of direct experiences and observations of others, there's a piece of him in each of the characters, just as there is a piece of the author in all that author creates.  It's what happens.  Doesn't mean that any of the characters is a direct analog for Jeph though.  Thus, he may not see a need to keep them together.  As ever, we'll see.

I'll be surprised if nothing unexpected happens tomorrow, given that it's #1800, and this comic's previous track record with strip number influence. Not to mention the vagueness of the wording in today's newspost.

Perhaps a continuity-breaking strip of the cast in Victorian garb at the Horrible Revelation?  In honor of the 1800's, of course!  (I know, I know, Victoria didn't become queen until 1837, whatever.)  Awkwardness Renewed, huzzah!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1521 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:31 »

Honestly? I want to see Marten leave, get away from everyone and see his mother or father, for a few days. 'Cause as much as a pushover as Marten might be, there is nothing worse than having everyone you know feeling sorry for you, and that might be what really sets him over the edge.

It might also be interesting to see more of Marten's life and backstory, where he grew up, who he grew up with. And it would remove Marten as a distraction so that someone could talk to Dora, probably Sven.

But seriously, as much as I like the characters and the pairing, both of them really do need to change because as they are now, Dora and Marten's respective issues are going to destroy them. Even if they weren't in a relationship together, Dora's trust issues mean that she will end up truly alone, and Marten? The guy has the willpower of a dead slug, nobody would ever respect him if he doesn't stand up for himself, and soon.

Also,  :psyduck:

Wow, that felt good...
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 16:41 by TheEvilDog »

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.
« Reply #1522 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:32 »

Marten: ". . ." (starts to walk out, dejected)

Marten puts his hand on the doorknob. He tries to think of one last thing to say to change Dora's mind, and bonks his head against the door.

This causes an aneurism to rupture. Marten is rushed to the hospital, and survives, but has major brain damage.

Hannelore comes to his hospital bed while Marten is still unconscious, and has a dramatic moment where she expresses her attraction to him, cleans his lips with a disinfecting wipe, and leans over to kiss him.

She actually overcomes her reluctance, but realizes she doesn't actually like him that way anymore. If she ever did. She instead wipes his forehead clean, and gives him a kiss there instead.

After sitting back and thinking for a few minutes about what she could do to help, she suddenly jumps up and makes a phone call.

"Hey, Mom? I need you to do me a favor. Well, not just me but -- dammit, NO TIME to blabber."

*fadeout*

. . .

An hour or so later we see Sarah in her new job as a neurosurgeon, working with the best operating team on Earth, performing an extremely delicate and top-secret procedure on Marten to repair the neural damage with the stem cells Hannelore had cultured from Marten's blood.

A week or so later, Marten wakes up. He remembers everything and everyone . . . but his fine motor skills are badly screwed up.

He can never play guitar again.

Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #1523 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:34 »

Ok this shit is out of control.

I'm leaving.

*slams Forum Hatch and welds it shut forever*

Oh god I just welded myself INSIDE... with the rest of you...
  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #1524 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:35 »

*sigh* This is gonna be one of the longest 7 or so hours in a loooong time.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

ogbendog

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1525 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:42 »

I realized something a long time ago.

Everyone you date, you will either break up with, or marry / stay with forever

so most relationships will end with a break up.  Heck, some marriages do as well.

In QC so far, there have been a few breakups already, but mostly with minor characters. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1526 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:46 »

I realized something a long time ago.

Everyone you date, you will either break up with, or marry / stay with forever

so most relationships will end with a break up.  Heck, some marriages do as well.

In QC so far, there have been a few breakups already, but mostly with minor characters. 

Faye and Sven are minor? though they weren't officially dating, they were monogamous and had a realtionship of some kind.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

WhyNot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1527 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:47 »

I can't believe I'm still sad about this. I was thinking about it all day long. Even my boss asked me what was wrong.

My Boss: Hey. You look sad. Is there something wrong?
Me: Marten and Dora broke up this morning.
My Boss:...Do I know them?
Me: No. They're not real people. *goes back to cooking*
My Boss:...Okay. *walks away*

I mean, honestly, it's probably for the best and all but they had been together for 2/3 of the whole of QC and it's just...I keep seeing Marten's face in the last panel in my head. It's haunts me. He just looks so devastated. :(

And I'll say this again because it can't be said enough--please, please, please don't let this all be a set up for future Marten/Faye. Do NOT want.

Yeah it's been a while in OUR time, but in QC time it's been what, 6 months? Atleast less than a year.
Cole's Law:  Thinly Sliced Cabbage.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1528 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:51 »

But...I'll be surprised if nothing unexpected happens tomorrow, given that it's #1800, and this comic's previous track record with strip number influence. Not to mention the vagueness of the wording in today's newspost.

What's special about the number 1800?

enigma3d

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1529 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:52 »

Running away is NEVER the answer.
Unless you're being chased by a man with a knife.
nah the answer would be a gun.
"And if that don't work... use more gun."
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoreDakka

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1530 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:53 »

I'd say its been about a year it was late winter early spring when they got together, its past winter now so at least a year or close to it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

WhyNot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1531 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:56 »

Another poll selection should be....

Waiting for the server to reboot after everyone crashed it while waiting for Jeph to post the next comic.

benenator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1532 on: 18 Nov 2010, 16:57 »

What's special about the number 1800?

2 * 900
2 * 3 * 300
2 * 3 * 3 * 100
2 * 3 * 3 * 2 * 50
2 * 2 * 3 * 3 * 2 * 25
2 * 2 * 2 * 3 * 3 * 5 * 5
2 * (2^2) * (3^2) * (5^2)

It factors out to all primes and squares of primes. Assuming I didn't screw that up. Math gives me a . . . (puts on sunglasses) . . .  headache.  :psyduck:

Therefore it's a PRIME opportunity for something to happen.  :laugh:

notary

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1533 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:00 »

I think it's interesting to watch the almost trade in character traits over the course of the story. Around the time Faye told Marten of her past, she was recognized to be the unstable character of the Marten, Faye, Dora group. On the other hand, Dora was often trying to give her own advice and guide the characters toward more healthy choice and at least attempted to maintain the peace. Though Dora has always been self conscious, it has evolved to an extremely unhealthy level over the course of her relationship with Marten. In the meantime, granted her missteps and bad decisions, Faye has started to become a more stable force. She advised both Marten and Dora during the move-in. She also served as the voice of reason in the fight following Faye's own freak out after her date with Angus (even though she got a little loud at parts).

I miss the classic Dora. Though she had her imperfections, she still tried to maintain a level of calm among her friends and employees.

That all being said, I hate to say it, but I think a lot of us were expecting this following the last fight. Every fight has been the same and there has been little to no improvement. Though Dora has been in the wrong for starting this fight, I really think this is the best decision. She was always a good friend to Marten and clearly that doesn't translate into a relationship, or at least is couldn't successfully at the time they got together. It's disappointing since I once respected Dora, but as of late, her erratic behavior that has only grown over time has made me leery of her. Hopefully, following the fallout from the relationship, we can start to see more of the classic, calmer Dora.

My only question is where does she go from here? Literally? She lives with Marten and Faye at the moment and it's more than a little awkward to share your sofa, let alone your  bed, with your ex-girlfriend.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 17:04 by notary »

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #1534 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:02 »

My only question is where does she go from here? Literally? She lives with Marten and Faye at the moment and it's more than a little awkward to share your sofa, let alone your  bed, with your ex-girlfriend.

She'll move in with Hanners, and it will be awesome.  :-D

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1535 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:03 »

It factors out to all primes and squares of primes. Assuming I didn't screw that up. Math gives me a . . . (puts on sunglasses) . . .  headache.  :psyduck:

Dude, every whole number does that.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #1536 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:05 »

My only question is where does she go from here? Literally? She lives with Marten and Faye at the moment and it's more than a little awkward to share your sofa, let alone your  bed, with your ex-girlfriend.

Dora will seduce Wil's mother and become the family's new live-in maid, giving over management of CoD to Faye.

CoD goes under within a week, but only because Cosette decided to really try to bribe the health inspector, using the contents of the briefcase her last boss gave her.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

WhyNot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1537 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:05 »

Or with Tai...I was going to say maybe have a rebound fling/one-nighter with Tai, but I think Tai would say no because she wouldn't want to hurt Marten even though she really wants to do Dora (and Marigold). ;)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1538 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:06 »

Anyone else hear a couple of hundred thousand people groaning?

benenator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1539 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:11 »

It factors out to all primes and squares of primes. Assuming I didn't screw that up.

Dude, every whole number does that.

$)(!#.

Therefore it's a PRIME opportunity for something to happen.  :laugh:

Anyone else hear a couple of hundred thousand people groaning?

Actually, it's more like 7 billion. My jokes are banned under the Geneva Convention in a couple universes, and are the ultimate weapon in CoD's aresenal. (j/k)
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 17:18 by benenator »

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #1540 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:12 »

Omnes una manet nox

Omnia iam fient quae posse negabam
 :-P
And to think I thought I'd have to stop reading in order to study my Latin..
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

Murphoid

• Plantmonster
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1541 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:15 »

I don't understand the supposition that if Marten and Dora break up we will never see coffee of doom again.  Neither Marten or Dora would be the kind of people to try to poison people against their exes.  I think they will probably both be very mature about this break up and realize that it just wasn't meant to be.  Dora will never got over feelings of jealousy because she never came to terms with the fact that she was in the end the second choice.  She shouldn't have to.  Marten will never be able to convince her otherwise, because lets just face it, Dora was Martens second choice.

This does not mean that Martin and Faye will ever work it out either.  But the three of them will continue to be friends cause they are mature enough to get past the awkwardness.

I don't think Marten will contest the break up.  Marten just wouldn't try to impose himself on someone that did not want him.

I would really like to see Hanners and Marten hook up, but don't think that one will happen.

beanzilla

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1542 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:18 »

D

Is that an iceberg in your pants or are you just happy to see me.

If we don't act now it will start receding.  :wink:

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1543 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:25 »

*sigh* This is gonna be one of the longest 7 or so hours in a loooong time.

Until then I will console myself watching that amazingly cute Scottish Fold kitten in your avatar.

EDIT: Or looking up the original video on YouTube.  OMG <3 the little purr machine.

D
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 17:32 by daryljfontaine »
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #1544 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:27 »

I just really hope someone calls Dora out about her lack of real 'trying' to solve her issues. If I tried to solve my smoking addiction by just thinking really hard that I wouldn't smoke, I'd still be on 2 packs a day. She's never tried any kind of counseling, reading helpful books, fuck even talking to Marten more deeply about it. She's taking the easy way out, and bless Jeph, it's very human. But it's also weak, cowardly and pathetic.
Which is pretty human too tbh.

But still. Fucking ew.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1545 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:32 »

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said, given the 30+ pages in here...

Say... didn't Jeph use to say that right after finally getting some, Marten would be run over by a truck?

Depending on your definition of "some"...

(Not to mention that the rest of the social circle probably wouldn't disintegrate as much.)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1546 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:41 »

And now Marten will take some comfort in the arms of his friend Steve, which will lead to the inevitable hook up between them.

Now THAT. That right there, that is DO NOT WANT.

Man, that is already happened.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1639

(Edit for linkage)
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 17:50 by GeoffTheLlama »

lockwoodlo

• Not quite a lurker
  • Fifty years ago, when I was still good humored
    • Thoughts, Words and Deeds - Sins of my Gray Hairs
« Reply #1547 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:56 »

Omnes una manet nox

Illegitimus non carborundum
(Don't let the bastards grind you down)

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #1548 on: 18 Nov 2010, 17:59 »

Omnes una manet nox

Illegitimus non carborundum
(Don't let the bastards grind you down)

I'll tell you once more/ before I get off the floor/don't bring me down...  :mrgreen:
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

ElvisRevenge

• PLEASE HANNERS, DON'T HURT 'EM
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1549 on: 18 Nov 2010, 18:09 »

PAGE 32! CALLED IT!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36   Go Up