Yes.
- 15 (5%)
No, it's not the same.
- 14 (4.7%)
No, it's even worse.
- 25 (8.4%)
No, it means Dora's history.
- 30 (10.1%)
No, because it's going to end different.
- 19 (6.4%)
No, because there's emergency bourbon.
- 17 (5.7%)
UBMEOD!
- 34 (11.4%)
Oh heck, who am I kidding?
- 4 (1.3%)
(sniff) No, I've just got (sniff) allergies...
- 31 (10.4%)
This thread is gonna hit 40 pages by tomorrow, isn't it?
- 109 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)  (Read 445474 times)

rje

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT 15-19 November 2010 (1796-1800)
« Reply #1600 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:05 »

Haha 3 new replies before I even started typing.

Well, not what I wanted to see (I don't mean that as in - I WANT JEPH TO DRAW THIS AND WRITE THIS BLARGHHH I mean I wanted to see more of their conversation, if any) but his comment seems to indicate they -did- talk more, so I'm going to assume they finally had a long long discussion. Because Faye IS home now, so considering the coffeeshop was still open, that could have been a couple of hours at Sven's...

So if they did talk more and it's still mutual (tho that was said with a little bitter swallow methinks) then fine. I don't like it, I think Dora should try some actually -action- towards working on her issues, but this is very true to life as well, so there you go.  Fantastic writing.

Tears for you Marten <3 Tears forever
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

westrim

« Reply #1601 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:06 »

:psyduck:

WELP

Copernicious

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1602 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:06 »

Nnngh...emotional. I can't believe how close I came to getting a bit teary-eyed. Well-done, Jeph.
I really don't like the idea of Faye/Marten after all this time ('course I'd have slit both wrists to see them kiss when I was reading it all from the beginning). I was very pleased when Angus finally got there and I hope that continues. But Marten can't go back to the schlub he was in the first three strips; perhaps the spacetime shift (as it were) I was hoping for is inbound.

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #1603 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:06 »

Yeah, Marten and CoD are unlikely to appear together for at least three or four weeks. He's got friends that don't go there every day, like Steve and Tai, and he'll probably be leaning on them pretty heavily as he works out what to do next.

And I don't think that, deep down, he'll ever really forgive Dora for this. Not for freaking out, but for not even giving him a chance to talk her out of breaking up with him. She just sprung it as a done deal, just after he walked in to talk to her. And Faye is probably uncomfortable for him to be around right now.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

hbrad1977

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1604 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:06 »

Damn. Marten is pretty upset. And a lot bitter. He is definitely trying to save face there.

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1605 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:07 »

Oy.  I am glad that it's not going to turn into something totally idiotic like Marten proposing to Dora.  And that the relationship is finally done, in probably the least shattering way possible - hey, Jeph could've written it ending with Dora walking in on sloppy emergency bourbon-fueled makeouts between Marten and Faye, which would've caused their social circle to INCINERATE ITSELF in Questionable Content:  The Angstening.

So much fucking logistics to deal with, though.  Honestly the cleanest thing I could see is that Dora gets on a bus to somewhere and has Faye run Coffee of Doom in her absence.

Anyway, if Jeph's reading this, kudos for going through with it, man.  The strip's needed a large scale shake-up for a while and hopefully this will work.

Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1606 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:07 »

Well, not what I wanted to see (I don't mean that as in - I WANT JEPH TO DRAW THIS AND WRITE THIS BLARGHHH I mean I wanted to see more of their conversation, if any) but his comment seems to indicate they -did- talk more, so I'm going to assume they finally had a long long discussion. Because Faye IS home now, so considering the coffeeshop was still open, that could have been a couple of hours at Sven's...

So if they did talk more and it's still mutual (tho that was said with a little bitter swallow methinks) then fine. I don't like it, I think Dora should try some actually -action- towards working on her issues, but this is very true to life as well, so there you go.  Fantastic writing.

I don't think they did, actually. I think Marten just turned around and walked away. I think he was too exhausted to do anything else.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1607 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:08 »

Well that was disappointing. It's pretty obvious he didn't fight it or anything. He just got up and walked out. Way to be a spineless sack dude.
Quis pater tibi est?

sidpatt

• Not quite a lurker
  • Who's that at the door?
« Reply #1608 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:08 »

I'm guessing that judging by the shot of Faye looking sadly at the closed door, next week might see QC's third door smashing entry comic.  Just depends who Faye's going to smash her way in on, Dora or Marten... or possibly someone else.  Maybe Angus so she can try to get away from all the Hella-hella Drama?

I just... don't see it. I don't know why. I think she saw the inevitability of it coming. Granted, she wasn't present for any of the fights or discussion, but she seemed to be able to tell just from Dora's call and Marten's pass by CoD that it was pretty serious. Again. I think if anything she goes into console Marten mode rather than beat up Dora mode, but I think go to Angus mode is more likely and more better for her.

More...
More better.
IT'S SECRETARIAT!!!

Omega

• Not quite a lurker
  • Ωmega
« Reply #1609 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:10 »

And next Monday (our time):
Sven will put some sense in her sister's head. Even if that means hitting her with a rolled magazine again. And again. And again. And my head suddenly hurts.  :psyduck:

No he won't. It's over, dude.

And this isn't necessarily directed to you specifically. CAN WE ALL JUST AGREE THAT THIS IS THE END?

FOR REAL REAL NOT FOR PLAY PLAY?

I accepted this two updates ago, and I ain't going back. QC is the equivalent of my daily soap opera(s) in webcomic form, and I take the same philosophy with it: Drama is guaranteed, and there is no taking back a decision. OH WAIT.
Εάν μπορείτε να διαβάσετε αυτό, ξέρετε τα ελληνικά.

rje

« Reply #1610 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:12 »

I don't think they did, actually. I think Marten just turned around and walked away. I think he was too exhausted to do anything else.

Mmmm.....yeah, that's a possibility too. No real closure.
Fuck, that's sad.
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

ChibiSoma

• Plantmonster
    • Ramblings of a Madman
« Reply #1611 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:13 »

No, he did exactly what he should've. He got away from the annoying bint who strung him along with her equally annoying issues that she adamantly refuses to seek help for.

Now what FAYE needs to do is come in with a full bottle of Wreckless Cowboy and get him good and drunk. That way he can bitch himself to sleep and feel better about it.

Because otherwise we're just gonna have a repeat of the last stupid event, with Faye going over to Sven's, stuffing him into an oven to get to Dora, then throwing her out a fucking window.

...Wait, no, that would actually be awesome. So it won't happen. Instead, she either just goes and talks to Marten, or goes to bitch out Dora. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the standard Faye Special.
Machiavelli once said, 'Let them hate, so long as they fear.'

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #1612 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:14 »

So much fucking logistics to deal with, though.  Honestly the cleanest thing I could see is that Dora gets on a bus to somewhere and has Faye run Coffee of Doom in her absence.

So you're suggesting that Dora should be Put On A Bus?  :P

In all honesty, though, I do think it makes a bit of sense that either her or Marten take a trip.  I don't at all mean they should be cut out of the comic, that would be terrible!  Just that, well, let's say Marten decides to go back home for a couple days, and the story threads split between him and the rest of the gang while there's time for a little healing before he deals with everything.  Dora can even use the time to move her stuff out, or whatever.  I guess she'll move in with Sven now?  Hmmm, or Hanners, if Jeph's in an Odd Couple kind of mood.

Well that was disappointing. It's pretty obvious he didn't fight it or anything. He just got up and walked out. Way to be a spineless sack dude.
I don't think so, really.  The whole point of Dora wanting to break up was because of their fighting... and I can't think of any way Marten could have argued her around from there.  At least for tonight, Dora wasn't going to budge.  If it makes you feel better, it's pretty much a guarantee there was a talk after Dora dropped that bombshell that we didn't see, and there's a good chance Marten did some fighting for the relationship in that talk, but... well, if it did nothing, I guess Jeph decided we didn't really need to see it.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #1613 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:15 »

I hope Monday doesn't start a whole painful "Dora Moves Out" story.... who'd carry Dora's couch?

I don't think she'll be leaving the strip, though.  She still owns Coffee of Doom.
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #1614 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:16 »

Marten did good.  It was sad, but it was the right thing to do.  I liked Marten/Dora (was rooting for her the whole time he was single) but he cannot force her to stay in the relationship.  Perhpas this is for the best.  Sven/Faye yelling at Dora.  Some time apart should give Marten and Dora some perspective.

I absolutely loved his response "it was mutual, we're both sick of her crap."
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Northeman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1615 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:16 »

No, he did exactly what he should've. He got away from the annoying bint who strung him along with her equally annoying issues that she adamantly refuses to seek help for.

Now what FAYE needs to do is come in with a full bottle of Wreckless Cowboy and get him good and drunk. That way he can bitch himself to sleep and feel better about it.

Because otherwise we're just gonna have a repeat of the last stupid event, with Faye going over to Sven's, stuffing him into an oven to get to Dora, then throwing her out a fucking window.

...Wait, no, that would actually be awesome. So it won't happen. Instead, she either just goes and talks to Marten, or goes to bitch out Dora. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the standard Faye Special.

If Marten could get away from annoying bints who strung him along, he wouldn't have let Faye move in with him.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.
« Reply #1616 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:18 »

And next Monday (our time):
Sven will put some sense in her sister's head. Even if that means hitting her with a rolled magazine again. And again. And again. And my head suddenly hurts.  :psyduck:

No he won't. It's over, dude.

And this isn't necessarily directed to you specifically. CAN WE ALL JUST AGREE THAT THIS IS THE END?

I accepted this two updates ago, and I ain't going back. QC is the equivalent of my daily soap opera(s) in webcomic form, and I take the same philosophy with it: Drama is guaranteed, and there is no taking back a decision. OH WAIT.

I think my sarcasm detector ran out of batteries right now.
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

rje

« Reply #1617 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:21 »

In all honesty, though, I do think it makes a bit of sense that either her or Marten take a trip.  I don't at all mean they should be cut out of the comic, that would be terrible!  Just that, well, let's say Marten decides to go back home for a couple days, and the story threads split between him and the rest of the gang while there's time for a little healing before he deals with everything.  Dora can even use the time to move her stuff out, or whatever.  I guess she'll move in with Sven now?  Hmmm, or Hanners, if Jeph's in an Odd Couple kind of mood.

Kind of like when Faye visited home for a bit, we could see Marten with his family. That could be cool.
Maybe Steve would take him out on a BUDDY PICTURE ROAD TRIP. Hilarious hijinks ahoy!

graymouser

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1618 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:22 »

It's certainly the easiest thing to do for the comic:  it gets her out of Marten and Faye's apartment, it makes it so Marty can still go to Coffee of Doom to hang out, and it gives Marten room to finally grow as a person.  Plus it takes Dora, whose character development locked up something like a thousand strips ago, out of the picture, and Jeph can bring her back later if he wants (assuming no allosaurs get her first).  Of course, I'm just looking at it from "what would be the neatest angle?"

I can't see either working, which is why I'm for putting her on a bus.

Superkid11

• New teeth!
« Reply #1619 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:23 »

Honestly all I can see happening is Faye knocking on the door and handing Marten the emergency burbon. "You need this."

Maybe that'll just happen on twitter.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 21:25 by Superkid11 »

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1620 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:25 »

I'm guessing that judging by the shot of Faye looking sadly at the closed door, next week might see QC's third door smashing entry comic.
So was 568 what ultimately led to the events of 1799?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1621 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:26 »

Marten's not blaming himself. This is character development.

This is also the second time in a row he has been shut down by a woman saying she can't manage her own issues well enough for a relationship.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #1622 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:27 »

I don't think so, really.  The whole point of Dora wanting to break up was because of their fighting... and I can't think of any way Marten could have argued her around from there.  At least for tonight, Dora wasn't going to budge.  If it makes you feel better, it's pretty much a guarantee there was a talk after Dora dropped that bombshell that we didn't see, and there's a good chance Marten did some fighting for the relationship in that talk, but... well, if it did nothing, I guess Jeph decided we didn't really need to see it.
It's not so much that I wanted him to resolve it. I mostly wanted to see some righteous indignation. It was obvious, Dora wanted out. While it's true I did hold out hope that, if I could stop my girlfriend from leaving when she pulled a similar argument, Marten might could do it too, I didn't expect it. And the fact that Jeph didn't show a talk tells me that there wasn't one. When has he ever really shied away from exposition in these drama situations?

Egads, 10 new posts.  :psyduck:
Quis pater tibi est?

benenator

• Plantmonster
  • The time for ends has ended.
« Reply #1623 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

Coming up next: Marten and Pintsize, in which Pintsize tries to be helpful but comes off as Endearingly Misguided.
Followed by: Hannelore finds out and goes She-Hulk.
Forger of the One-Over-Infinity Earlobe Mace.

If you want to know about me, read my entry in the "Hi, I'm new!" forum. :roll:

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #1624 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:28 »

Sven doesn't have room for Dora.  I think he only has the one bedroom.
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Tergon

« Reply #1625 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:29 »

Kind of like when Faye visited home for a bit, we could see Marten with his family. That could be cool.
Maybe Steve would take him out on a BUDDY PICTURE ROAD TRIP. Hilarious hijinks ahoy!
Exactly.  More of Ms. Reed is always a good thing!  Plus we can see where Marten grew up and whatnot.  And if Steve can't come with him, Pintsize definitely should.

Ooh, that's a thought.  Pintsize totally stabbed Marten in the back by showing Dora how to find his porn.  Wonder if the lil' robot is going to be punished?  Marten should install McAfee Virus Scan on him.

It's certainly the easiest thing to do for the comic:  it gets her out of Marten and Faye's apartment, it makes it so Marty can still go to Coffee of Doom to hang out, and it gives Marten room to finally grow as a person.  Plus it takes Dora, whose character development locked up something like a thousand strips ago, out of the picture, and Jeph can bring her back later if he wants (assuming no allosaurs get her first).  Of course, I'm just looking at it from "what would be the neatest angle?"
Gotta disagree with you there.  Dora's character development has only really just started in any serious way.  Up until now we knew she's an ex-goth, runs her own business, gets along well with her brother despite issues with his man-whoriness, and likes Marten.  Now she finally has a history and she's been given serious issues, along with a big role in one of the comic's biggest upheavals ever, and you think she's of no use to the comic?

Man, it's only just starting for her.  Even if it was remotely plausible to remove a major character like this, as well as just retcon her ownership of the place where Faye works, it'd be shitty storytelling and Jeph's way above that.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1626 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:31 »

WELP

YEAH BASICALLY THIS.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

FUCKIN' JEPH JACQUES MAN

FUCKIN' JEPH JACQUES

WHERE IS THAT MOTHERFUCKER EVEN DRIVING THIS BUS COMIC.  :psyduck:
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Tergon

« Reply #1627 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:35 »

It's not so much that I wanted him to resolve it. I mostly wanted to see some righteous indignation. It was obvious, Dora wanted out. While it's true I did hold out hope that, if I could stop my girlfriend from leaving when she pulled a similar argument, Marten might could do it too, I didn't expect it. And the fact that Jeph didn't show a talk tells me that there wasn't one. When has he ever really shied away from exposition in these drama situations?

Egads, 10 new posts.  :psyduck:
If this weren't the last comic for the week, I'd absolutely agree with you.  But Jeph, God love the lil' bunny that he is, cannot resist a dramatic ending to the week.  We all know it.  There was no way that another "Talk" could top Thursday's comic, so he skipped it.
I just can't see Marten getting up off the couch after the "But I think we should call it quits" line and just walking out the door without saying a word.  It's not only unlike him, it's unlike... well, anyone I can think of.  There had to be something said afterwards.  Mayhaps on Monday we'll see Sven handing Dora a cup of tea while saying something along the lines of, "I heard you guys talking."

Clearly Marten didn't fight very hard, but yeah.  The whole bitter, defeated thing doesn't rub me as a guy who just wordlessly accepted what happened to him.  He's not at peace with what happened, he looks defeated.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #1628 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:35 »

If Dora is looking for a bus ticket, she can always selllicense the place to Hannermom.

Then it really would be Coffee if DOOM!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

nockiemommy

• Emoticontraindication
  • Need a hand?
    • Crochet Blog "One Happy Hooker"
« Reply #1629 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:36 »

I REALLY need to figure out how to fix my enter key .... I kinda wish the Marten/Dora dynamic had ended sooner. They always struck me as more fuck-buddies than dating, though they were a little cute with the whole marrrr nonsense-talk in CoD that one day ... But yeah, as a couple, they didn't make sense. And Marten doesn't strike me as the scene-making type.
I love America. We've been hurt but we also hurt others. You know you never hurt anybody? The ESKIMOS! Do we even know what they look like without those silly coats? Nobody ever talks about invading..wherever the hell they're from. Does anybody even know?

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1630 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:37 »

I am curious how Dora will play out the aftermath, is marty banned from CoD?  Would she be that childish if he did walk into CoD?

as for the move out, she can move out while he is at work.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

akronnick

« Reply #1631 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:39 »

<snip> He's not at peace with what happened, he looks defeated.

Totally.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Brits

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Mmm.
    • Lol Myspace Lol
« Reply #1632 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:40 »

guys... ):
apparently i forgot to save it when jeph put up a text-free version.
"I think he is.....What are the kids calling them these days...A crack baby?"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1633 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:41 »

I wouldnt say defeated, more like still emotional from the fight and the aftermath.  he just needs to let the chemicals in his brain finish processing or go away.

Yellowstone

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1634 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

Gotta disagree with you there.  Dora's character development has only really just started in any serious way.  Up until now we knew she's an ex-goth, runs her own business, gets along well with her brother despite issues with his man-whoriness, and likes Marten.  Now she finally has a history and she's been given serious issues, along with a big role in one of the comic's biggest upheavals ever, and you think she's of no use to the comic?

Man, it's only just starting for her.  Even if it was remotely plausible to remove a major character like this, as well as just retcon her ownership of the place where Faye works, it'd be shitty storytelling and Jeph's way above that.

Agreed that Jeph isn't about to write her out, but I wouldn't say that she "finally" has a history.  It's been established for quite a while that she has issues with dating alpha-males who treat her badly, and that she has serious self-confidence issues stretching back to high school.

Also - thank you, Jeph, for pointing me to Thee Silver Mt. Zion.  Cool stuff!

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #1635 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

Sven doesn't have room for Dora.  I think he only has the one bedroom.
Well, he WAS thinking about buying a house...

Ooh, that's a thought.  Pintsize totally stabbed Marten in the back by showing Dora how to find his porn.  Wonder if the lil' robot is going to be punished?  Marten should install McAfee Virus Scan on him.
Simpler than that - remember that Pintsize's chassis is a lil'goldmine...

notary

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1636 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marten visit his family, I'm just a little interested in seeing what happens if Marten's family (more specifically his mother) comes to see him.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=459

Granted, it's Faye who gets the threat, but I have a bad feeling it would also apply to Dora.

Monday's strip: I almost expect to see a bottle of Emergency Bourbon sitting outside Marten's door with a bow.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1637 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:42 »

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Marten's just wallowing in jerkishness now. Yes, you were both sick of her crap. You weren't gonna do anything about it except sigh at night and grow ever more secretly bitter comparing your relationship to others. She saw the flaws in the situation and ended it for both of you. Don't be an asshole about it now, Marten.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 21:46 by JackFaerie »

Occams Meataxe

• Not quite a lurker
Good for Marten
« Reply #1638 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:44 »

He's unhappy. But he's not whining. He's angry instead of depressed. And he's got a realistic handle on what's going on. Definitely healthier than his last breakup.

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1639 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:44 »

Ian-

Possibility 4 and 5 fall under the SAME DAMNED CATEGORY as possibility 1- That she walked in and told him what had happened.
Possibility 7 was already debunked.
And Possibilities 8 and up all fall under the category of 1.

IanClark, you can take your OWN preconcieved notions and stuff them up a Psyduck, since your latest "addition" to the conversation has been about as useful as a broom made up entirely of... you know.

Got it?

Good.

Sorry, that came off a lot meaner than I was trying for. But possibilities 4,5 and 8 (possibly also 6) involve the possibility that she's talked to Sven but still don't preclude the possibility that he'll tell her off later. What I'm trying to say is that Jeph seems to have a way of thinking outside the box and invalidating all of our speculations. Think about it: Either Marten's feelings for Faye are mutual and they'll hook up or she doesn't feel the same way and they won't. Turns out the feelings are mutual but they still aren't hooking up. Either Faye and Sven will hook up or they won't. Then they end up half hooking up. Either Faye and Angus will hook up or they won't. Bad example. Although even then, they also went through an ambiguous period of half-dating that was completely different from the previous one.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #1640 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:45 »

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Marten's just wallowing in jerkishness now. Yes, you were both sick of her crap. You weren't gonna do anything about it except sigh at night and grow ever more secretly bitter comparing your relationship to others. She saw the flaws in the situation and ended it for you. Don't be an asshole about it now, Marten.

I wouldnt say he's being an asshole, I think he is just exhausted emotionally.  Its not like he was being an asshole to Faye and as far as we could tell he wasnt to Dora after she said it's over.

Didn't Sven at one time warn marten that she chases guys away because of her past?

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1641 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:50 »

Well I mean I think the whole "we're both sick of her crap" was unnecessarily mean. I still think what she did was very healthy: she recognized how and why their relationship wasn't working, and that there wasn't an easy fix for it (she may eventually want to get therapy for her issues, but I actually think she is right that she could get never be certain about his feelings for Faye versus her and what-could-have-beens--I mean, look at what people say about it on this forum!), and decided to have it end peaceably and kindly. I still think Marten was the one who should have done the breaking up, but apparently he's incapable of it even as he's been moping and doubting the future of their relationship for months.

lolbutts

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1642 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:54 »

Huuuurrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhh  :psyduck:

Marten and Faye are not going to get together and Marten and Dora are not going to get back together for at least another year our time. Please let it go.

Also, there is a middle ground between 'OMFG Marten's such a doormat he should have proposed/fought for the terrible relationship blah blah blah' and 'OMFG Marten is such an angry bitter jerk for saying he's sick of someone who's contstantly giving him shit'. MIDDLE GROUND PEOPLE. I think he was right not to beg for her back, and right to be pissed off about where Dora's jealousy led the relationship. He'll get over it. They can be friends.

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2010, 21:57 by lolbutts »

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1643 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:56 »

It's just, I mean... barely an hour or two ago they were laughing about their childhood sex ed, which led to making fun of Marten's porn, to which he reacted adorably...

AND THEN DORA AND MARTEN BROKE UP.

You don't see how it might be a bad idea to call it here and now?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #1644 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:58 »

Heh, I finally figured out how Jeph is going to break the forums.  Like "soul snapping like a Twix bar" break, to use an earlier reference.

Assume a week of time off for Turkeys and Yelling Bird and Guest Strips...

11/29 Monday, Panel One:  FIVE YEARS LATER.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

The Pole

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1645 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:59 »

Long time fan of this webcomic here.
This course of events just knocked the wind out of my sails. I just hope this doesn't permanently jade Marten.
That is all  :psyduck:

mllerustad

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1646 on: 18 Nov 2010, 21:59 »

It's just, I mean... barely an hour or two ago they were laughing about their childhood sex ed, which led to making fun of Marten's porn, to which he reacted adorably...

AND THEN DORA AND MARTEN BROKE UP.

You don't see how it might be a bad idea to call it here and now?

All too often, that's how these things end in real life. You somehow get to a topic, which presses the right button... and everything that's been ignored and built up over the course of the relationship ignites.

No one expects a gas leak to explode their house, either.

ocelott

• Not quite a lurker
    • Genre Reviews
« Reply #1647 on: 18 Nov 2010, 22:00 »

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Marten's just wallowing in jerkishness now. Yes, you were both sick of her crap. You weren't gonna do anything about it except sigh at night and grow ever more secretly bitter comparing your relationship to others. She saw the flaws in the situation and ended it for both of you. Don't be an asshole about it now, Marten.
Yes, thank you.  I've been trying to figure out how to phrase my disappointment in Marten, but you've done it more succinctly than I could have managed.

I mean, I understand the sentiment and he's being very human here.  But let's face it, that often translates to "big fat jerk" and well, "We were both sick of her crap" is not only incredibly bitter, it's a pretty mean thing to say.  He's lashing out about something he never had the guts to talk about or take action with.  Yeah, he's feeling powerless right now.  He's hurting and he really is tired of going around the same merry-go-round, but he's also being a jerk.

Faye would be smartest to just leave that door closed for now and give Marten some space.  He clearly needs a bit of time.  She may want to check up on Dora and see how she's holding up, though.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #1648 on: 18 Nov 2010, 22:01 »

Simpler than that - remember that Pintsize's chassis is a lil'goldmine...

Oh God you guys I know where QC is going.  :psyduck:

They just went through the Singularity.

So Dora is going to attempt to transcend human consciousness in order to avoid any further relationship fuck-ups. She will use Winslow and Hannelore's aid to make this attempt.

Marten will force Agent Turing to help him attempt same in exchange for Pintsize's chassis going (back?) to the government.

As they both reach SI>1, the ascendant AIs of the world learn what it is like to be broken up with/break up with someone, from both sides. Driven insane by the emotional turmoil, they decide to launch a xenocidal campaign against mankind. An apocalyptic war breaks out.

A betrayed Pintsize uploads his consciousness into a reaper morph from Eclipse Phase and goes on a rampage across Massachusetts, hunting for Marten's social circle and relatives. Faye becomes the grizzled bourbon-swilling leader of the human resistance, with the memory of Angus' bloody death at the hands of a rampant Momo to keep her hatred alive.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

akronnick

« Reply #1649 on: 18 Nov 2010, 22:01 »

Huuuurrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhh  :psyduck:

Marten and Faye are not going to get together and Marten and Dora are not going to get back together for at least another year our time. Please let it go.

Also, there is a middle ground between 'OMFG Marten's such a doormat he should have proposed/fought for the terrible relationship blah blah blah' and 'OMFG Marten is such an angry bitter jerk for saying he's sick of someone who's contstantly giving him shit'. MIDDLE GROUND PEOPLE. I think he was right not to beg for her back, and right to be pissed off about where Dora's jealousy led the relationship. He'll get over it. They can be friends.

I think given the way things played out, it won't be too long before Marten and Dora can be friends again.

I don't think she'll ban him from CoD or anything. Not that he'd want to go there when she might be there any time soon.

The first couple of times they see each other will be awkward, and they'll probably even have some post break-up fights, maybe even ill advised hook-ups, but eventually they will adjust to their new reality.

I hope.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Up