THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Gang's (Almost) All Here! Who's next?

Wil and Penelope.
- 4 (6.3%)
Pizza Girl!
- 11 (17.5%)
Dora and Tai.
- 13 (20.6%)
Dora and Tai bring along Raven (as a chaperone).
- 14 (22.2%)
Sven crashes the party.
- 2 (3.2%)
Gabby's older brother... DALE.
- 12 (19%)
Cosette's roommate Luna.
- 1 (1.6%)
Emily's AnthroPC.
- 0 (0%)
Some yet-unknown character.
- 2 (3.2%)
Space Station makes a holo-visit!
- 2 (3.2%)
Enough partygoers! GIT 'ER ON!
- 2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2296-2300 (15-19 October 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 118926 times)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

That depends if you associate those of Indian descent to be Asian, which is a sticky situation as I think they're, and I could be incredibly wrong, closer to Aryan descent than Asiatic ethnic groups.

In the UK we certainly use the term "Asian" for anyone from India and surrounding countries. It's taken a while for me to get used to Americans saying "Asian" for what we'd call "oriental", e.g. from China, Japan, Vietnam or Korea.

Technically you may or may not be right about Aryan origins, but that's how we commonly use the words.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

what's with the picture in panel 5 not having Emily's face in it, but having Emily's face in it in panel 6? if it's supposed to be a mirror, shouldn't it be the back of her head?

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

It is a different picture. Most likely a photo of Emily as a child/adolescent.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

In the UK we certainly use the term "Asian" for anyone from India and surrounding countries.

Every (inhabited) continent has people in it with a range of ethnicities, even before we look at the effect of modern travel.  This is why the use of continental names as descriptions is rather pointless, and has the potential to give offence even before considering whether referring to people's ethnicity is appropriate at all.

In the case of "American", there is an unfortunate ambiguity, because it is conventionally used (by me, too) to mean "those from the United States of America" - in other words, the country name includes the continent name, and worse, the country is commonly referred to as "America".  Perhaps I should start to follow the usage of "USians", or "USAians", but those are really very clumsy.

It just occurred to me that saying that America is in North America is a bit like saying that the whole is contained in the part!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I dub thee:
TANNELORE.

(I am so sorry...)

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.

Battletoads...

@Madmartigan, I challenge thee to an insult swordfight for Emily! Choose thy barb! :-D
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Am I the only one who thinks that Hannelore in the last panel is terrifying?

Also, I may be being slightly derpy here, but I'm pretty sure Emily did that deliberately.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Also, I may be being slightly derpy here, but I'm pretty sure Emily did that deliberately.

Nope, you're definitely not the only one thinking that. That cheeky-looking smile she gives as Hannelore walks out is more than a little suspicious, and as much as Jeph's characters like to be whacky and slightly airheaded sometimes (and that's fine), I find it a bit of a stretch that Emily would not know the difference between sunscreen and tanning lotion. Especially since she claims to have used it on herself, but hasn't even gone outside.

What does this all mean? Could Emily secretly be a genius? Is this her way of trying to get Hannelore to loosen up? (I imagine if you felt your entire skin was unclean in a sense, and your friends tried their best to calm you down, eventually you might become desensitized to it. But maybe I'm completely wrong about that.)
Of course, if Emily used the tanning lotion on herself, that means that she would tan as well. And that thought is kinda... Has ... well... Do... I don't think I've ever seen a tanned person from the same ethnicity as Emily, is what I'm trying to say. And I'm conjecturing that there might be a reason for that. :psyduck: :psyduck:

Also:
I dub thee:
TANNELORE.

Quote from: Jeph on Twitter
her new name is tannelore

CALLED IT! ;D

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

what's with the picture in panel 5 not having Emily's face in it, but having Emily's face in it in panel 6? if it's supposed to be a mirror, shouldn't it be the back of her head?

Different picture. There's a total of 3 pictures on the wall. Look closely at the last frame, the picture without Emily's face on it is just slightly visible behind (the real) Emily's head.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I also saw the mischief, but I wondered if maybe Emily was just thrilled to have helped out her new friend or something.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Overkillengine

• Furry furrier
  • Meh.

Emily's just a huge troll.

example: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2242

Heck letting someone play Battletoads may as well be trolling too.

Now pardon me while I try to repress memories of the rage the racing levels induced.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

"File not found"
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Lostdreams

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I wonder how bad tan lines are going to set off Hannelore's OCD.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I wonder how bad tan lines are going to set off Hannelore's OCD.

there is a solution.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip

Battletoads!!

I salute you, sir!
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Lostdreams

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Arm sleeves, leggings, a Batman cowl sans cape, and censored nudity would be pretty funny, but it would be more than a bit out of character for anyone but pintsize.

StevenC

• Furry furrier

Aww come on Mari. You can play the vidya at home too.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

The problem I see with that is... Hannelore's OCD would probably go off even harder on a tanning bed, and I could never see her tanning in the sun like that.

judemorrigan

Wait a second, the QCverse has an SNES version of Battletoads?  Forget sentient AIs, now I'm jealous.   :laugh:

Toe

^ There was Battletoads in Battlemaniacs and Battletoads vs. Double Dragon, and maybe others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

judemorrigan

I'd forgotten about Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, but Battletoads & Double Dragon totally doesn't count.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

You know, we can all make fun of Emily for this, but I honestly didn't know the difference between tanning lotion and sunblock until I was a 18 or so. I have enough melanin that it was never an issue or necessity for me.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Quote from: Jeph
Script's written! Now all I have to do is reread 400 old comics to see if I am correctly remembering a plot point from 3 years ago!!!
Source: https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/259187777562890240

I've only been reading for two years now, so it's hard to tell what happened when before I started reading. What were some of the plot points from three years ago?

Clinton's first appearance in the strip?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Of course, if Emily used the tanning lotion on herself, that means that she would tan as well. And that thought is kinda... Has ... well... Do... I don't think I've ever seen a tanned person from the same ethnicity as Emily, is what I'm trying to say. And I'm conjecturing that there might be a reason for that. :psyduck: :psyduck:

Nah, Japanese people tan.  In fact a fashion style, ganguro, was built around getting heavily tanned combined with pastel makeup and bleached hair. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

I'm surprised that Hannelore would want to spend time outside like that at all.  Then again this was the girl who smoked when we first saw here, so perhaps her health fears don't apply to the Sun as much.

ChaosWolf

I dub thee:
TANNELORE.

Quote from: Jeph on Twitter
her new name is tannelore
CALLED IT! ;D

King Cooler: "Oh, and could somebody answer that phone?  Because I F##KING CALLED IT!!"

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Script's written! Now all I have to do is reread 400 old comics to see if I am correctly remembering a plot point from 3 years ago!!!

I've only been reading for two years now, so it's hard to tell what happened when before I started reading. What were some of the plot points from three years ago?

Clinton's first appearance in the strip?
That's not that old. However, I seem to remember a strip in which Hanners enumerated the standard content of her handbag, including pepper spray and birth-control pills. Maybe Jeph wanted to check if sunscreen was part of said standard content?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

0kamisama

• Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥

Wait a second, the QCverse has an SNES version of Battletoads?  Forget sentient AIs, now I'm jealous.   :laugh:

It might be a Japanese Famicom system, which has the familiar curved controller shape of the US SNES, but plays the games of the NES era.

I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

If Jeph had posted his search terms, he'd have had an answer in minutes from this group.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

But that might have been a spoiler.

Hypster

• Plantmonster

I think Emily looks a little flirty in panel 4. It looks a little like "Yay, I helped out the pretty Hannelore! We got to interact!"
Of course, she is Emily so you never know what she's thinking.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

I think Emily looks a little flirty in panel 4. It looks a little like "Yay, I helped out the pretty Hannelore! We got to interact!"
Of course, she is Emily so you never know what she's thinking.

I definitely read that as a flirty look, but I admit to personal bias.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What if Emily is using weirdness as a defense mechanism?

Do people need sunscreen in a world with cancer-fighting nanobots? Of course even then they would want to avoid burns.

I hope someone plays video games with Marigirl.

I seem to remember that it was only in the last century that my culture began to tolerate men swimming topless.

Let's hope Emily doesn't have a pet tapir.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Halloween Jack

• Not quite a lurker

I think that Hanners would either have the sort of white hazmat-type suit that people with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeroderma_pigmentosum xeroderma pigmentosum wear when they go out [warning: link goes to the Wikipedia article which has a really disturbing photo at the top] or she'd have a personal nanotech fog, invented by her dad, that would both sterilize the air around her and deflect most UV rays, plus be both concealing and tantalizingly revealing.

But, really, I'm just waiting for Marigold to suit up so that I can dang discreetly.
When it's good it's pretty good, but when it's bad I go to pieces.

Throg

• will accordion for food

I'm not sure I get this strip.

Tanning lotion is not tanning spray. It's not a spray-on tan. From Jeph's commentary about active melanocytes, the punchline is supposed to be that Hanners got tanned when she didn't want to; but come on, nobody gets a tan *that* quick. Unless it's supposed to be some QC-verse version of a delayed-action "natural" spray-on tan -- which might explain Emily's borderline trollface. 

Okay, so we got Hanners, Faye, and Claire (and Clinton, *shudder*) in swimsuits. This is a terribly tame beach episode. 
SQUEEZE BOX

Gnomes2169

• Stupid squirrels...

Wait a minute... Hanners? With a tan? This... this is impossibru! Although, it will be interesting to see everyone's reaction to this...

And I think that the video-game scene was supposed to be a "Some indeterminate amount of time later" scene, not a matter of seconds. And who says that the people who live in the world that has godly AI systems and regular visits to a satellite-city that the top scientists in the world live in don't have access to something like spray on tanning lotion?  :-P
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It would make perfect sense if only Jeph hadn't mentioned the melanocytes.

Maybe tanning spray in the QC world doesn't just turn your skin orange, it contains nanomachines that find and release melanin, or maybe synthesize it? That feels like a bit of a stretch.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners is awfully orange for it to not be spray-on tan.

Also, I read Emily's expression in panel 4 as trollface. I'm beginning to suspect that she's really not as clueless as she acts, and if she isn't, then she is quickly going to drop from a character I like to a character I despise, as I can't stand two-faced people.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I think the panel 4 face is meant to be her reaction to seeing what Marigold has found - compare panel 5.  But I did wonder.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Look at the eyebrows in panel 4. That's not mischievous, that's feeling pleased at having helped a friend. At least, that was my interpretation.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You know, it's about time at least one of those crazy kids got some sun.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

You know, we can all make fun of Emily for this, but I honestly didn't know the difference between tanning lotion and sunblock until I was a 18 or so. I have enough melanin that it was never an issue or necessity for me.
I...didn't know there was a difference until this comic.

Seriously.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

(As an aside, dude, I'm not wearing tight jeans, not for fashion reasons but I don't like constricting down there.)

It's unhealthy not to.  There's a reason for Europe's prosperity - some form of habitual abuse of the male genitalia is seen in every successful culture in history.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Look at the eyebrows in panel 4. That's not mischievous, that's feeling pleased at having helped a friend. At least, that was my interpretation.

But in combination with her eyes, it's really not, at least how I see it. They don't seem as wide-open as they usually are in that frame.

As for he looking to the side, that can be a visual indicator of mischievousness. And as her eyes are wide and bright when she's back in-frame with Marigold, I don't think the half-lidded expression of the previous frame was part of her interaction with her.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

(As an aside, dude, I'm not wearing tight jeans, not for fashion reasons but I don't like constricting down there.)

It's unhealthy not to.  There's a reason for Europe's prosperity - some form of habitual abuse of the male genitalia is seen in every successful culture in history.

Wait, wait wait. Aren't tighty-whities linked to a lower sperm count?

Then that means... tight pants = male hipster birth control?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

At least it wasn't this stuff...

Hanners looks as if she might catch on fire with or without the aid of whatever Emily used on her.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It would be an act of charity not to mention spontaneous human combustion to Hannelore. She has enough anxieties already.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The Gang's (Almost) All Here! Who's next?

Wil and Penelope.    4 (7.8%)
Pizza Girl!    11 (21.6%)
Dora and Tai.    10 (19.6%)
Dora and Tai bring along Raven (as a chaperone).    10 (19.6%)

Sven crashes the party.    1 (2%)
Gabby's older brother... DALE.    9 (17.6%)
Cosette's roommate Luna.    1 (2%)
Emily's AnthroPC.    0 (0%)
Some yet-unknown character.    1 (2%)
Space Station makes a holo-visit!    2 (3.9%)
Enough partygoers! GIT 'ER ON!    2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up