Poll

MOMENT... OF... THE WEEK!!!!

Best Birthday Party Ever!
- 1 (1.4%)
Ask him how he met his GIRLFRIEND.
- 1 (1.4%)
Wait, so you guys AREN'T a couple?
- 10 (13.5%)
If I were into dudes, I could do WAY better than that!
- 1 (1.4%)
You were FLIRTING with me! And you have a GIRLFRIEND!
- 0 (0%)
MARTEN's the one who wanted to get his flirt on with you.
- 2 (2.7%)
You made it AWKWARD. Maybe it wouldn't have BEEN Awkward...
- 0 (0%)
Talker Johnson PI - he talks too much, and somehow that helps him solve crimes.
- 14 (18.9%)
I'm not even sure what they're trying to do
- 1 (1.4%)
Oh, look at the time, I'd better get going.
- 0 (0%)
Elliot: "I'm sure Padma won't make a..."
- 0 (0%)
AAAAAA! How can a dude your size be so stealthy?
- 6 (8.1%)
I tend to quietly loom. It's a problem.
- 11 (14.9%)
Eww, you eat beef jerky? It could be butt-meat!
- 3 (4.1%)
It came from the steak part of the cow.
- 4 (5.4%)
Bee arr bee.
- 1 (1.4%)
Did you eat all my jerky? (MO! Mayme...)
- 10 (13.5%)
I'm gonna have a heart attack!
- 0 (0%)
If you could get a heart attack from ONE bag of jerky...
- 1 (1.4%)
OH MY GOD WE HAVE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL
- 8 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 21-25 February 2011 (1866-1870)  (Read 83592 times)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
Re: WCDT: 21-25 February 2011 (1866-1870)
« Reply #150 on: 23 Feb 2011, 15:10 »

I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more!  I need more! 

Say it with me now!!

Im'ma let Queen do the talkin'....

Meanwhile, I'm liking what I see of Elliot, he's got that strong, silent type thing goin' on. Very nice.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Blackie62

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #151 on: 23 Feb 2011, 15:25 »

Well, Elliot's the Hannelore parallel. Whoever called that at some point please accept your congratulatory Internets. He was probably going through the same thing Hanners was in 1276 for the last 3 comics.

Also in agreement with everyone else; quiet social looming powers do rule.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Booknerd86

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #153 on: 23 Feb 2011, 19:27 »

Also in agreement with everyone else; quiet social looming powers do rule.

I was so good (bad? I suppose it depends on how you look at it) at this in college that I would have to make a lot of noise to warn people I was coming. Otherwise I would just be there. Like a ninja in a mist.

PS - I hope we get to learn more about Elliot soon!
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2011, 19:32 by Booknerd86 »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #154 on: 24 Feb 2011, 00:34 »

And aw, poor Elliot. For once, I know his pain. :/ Quietly looming: it is an epidemic amongst dudes of a certain size.

Dude, looming bro fistbump!

*BUNP*

And Carl, the "Renee's a bitch" thing is coming from RENEE BEIN A BITCH

...okay actually nah. It more comes for me from the fact that she seems to have a sort of shitty, negative attitude in every panel we've seen her in. Plus there's Angus' assertions, so yeah.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #155 on: 24 Feb 2011, 00:44 »

Beef! It's BSE-alicious!
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #156 on: 24 Feb 2011, 00:53 »

Well Hannelore's gonna have fun passing that tomorrow.

I'm just sayin'
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #157 on: 24 Feb 2011, 01:12 »

...okay actually nah. It more comes for me from the fact that she seems to have a sort of shitty, negative attitude in every panel we've seen her in. Plus there's Angus' assertions, so yeah.

What, all four of them?

Renee has been in way less than ten strips, and has only reacted to other characters. Cosettes Room mate has had more dialogue.

I don't think it's fair to brand her as a certain character type given how little we actually know about her.

(Cut to two years later, Renee has just accepted the Nobel Prize for Rescuing Kittens and Curing Cancer, and folks will still be slagging her based on the impression they had the first five times they saw her. Same thing happened to Angus.)

As for today's comic, I have the same relationship to beef jerky that Hanners does. I claim to be disgusted by it, would never buy it for myself, but when left alone would eat the whole bag!
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2011, 01:15 by akronnick »
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #158 on: 24 Feb 2011, 01:34 »

Well Hannelore's gonna have fun passing that tomorrow.

I'm just sayin'

at the risk of sharing way too much information this is basically why I do not eat a lot of beef jerky anymore D:

As to Renee: nah, if she proves to be cool she will be cool to me; hell, I liked her first appearance where she was just announcing the fire hapen-ed. But not since we saw her in the bar. Right now: bluh bluh, huge bitch.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #159 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:11 »

Renee?

Yeah, we have surely seen her at her best. When the camera showed her burping it was probably already relatively late (judging from the level of drunken male bonding taking place elsewhere in the bar). Then she got to enjoy Marten+Steve's wonderful company. That surely ended her evening on a high note.

Very few persons managed to make a good first impression that night, so I like to think that the jury judging Renee's character is still out. 
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #160 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:14 »

Ooooh, I didn't know what Beef Jerky was until I searched it on google. It's the stuff we know in south america as Charqui. I also learned that jerky comes from the Quechua term charqui.... Unless wikipedia ir lying to me.

But still, I learned something today! Thanks Jeph!

...I never tried it. I want to now.

westrim

« Reply #161 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:16 »

Trying to write out BRB phonetically just makes her sound like a pirate involved in honey production. Which actually sounds a bit awesome.

Am I the only one to notice that Hanners said "mayme"?

Depends on the jerky, I suppose. Slim Jims are greasy processed mystery meat. For that matter,  I stay away from all the mulched up and excreted jerky. Sliced jerky, however, is obviously muscle fiber, so perhaps Hannelore should have that. But I could never eat it all in one go, that just wastes the flavor- jerky is meant to be savored.

Being big and stealthy is partly because we are aware of how much noise we could make, so we tend to step much more lightly. I've walked with women 100 pounds lighter than me and it's interesting how much more noise their steps make. As for stealthiness in place as in the comic, we are also aware of how largedohoho an impression we make, and so our body language is a lot more passive when not actively engaged in a conversation.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2011, 02:19 by westrim »

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #162 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:27 »

There isn't even a trial yet, let alone a jury. I just don't like what we've seen and heard of her, same as some other folks, and I think that's fair, as long as we don't let this first impression color our later discussion of her if she proves to be more than she appears/her interactions remain so minor as not to warrant further commentary on how she acts, and we don't bring it up all the goddamn time.

I mean, I don't like Penelope, either, at fuckin' all, but I don't think I need to shout it from the hilltops every time she's in the strip. However, if Penny's in the strip, does something questionable/acts abrasive/etc., and someone happens to go "man, fuck Penelope" I will be like "word, bro." Same sort of thing with Renee here.

That being said I wonder if the focus will stay on Mari and Hannelore for long? I kinda hope it'll stay on Ms. Farmer again, character development wooooooooo
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #163 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:59 »

Beef jerky is fucking disgusting, and I live in the South; I figured a yankee like Jeph would hate the stuff.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #164 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:04 »

Wait, didn't Hanners grow up in a Space Station? Wouldn't she have been exposed to over-processed foods, thereby making her comments hypocritical? 

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #165 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:19 »

Odin as someone from further north, dried and processed beef is delicious and I can see how once she started Hanners just couldn't stop.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

westrim

« Reply #166 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:24 »

Beef jerky is fucking disgusting, and I live in the South; I figured a yankee like Jeph would hate the stuff.
:psyduck: Jerky isn't grits, its popularity is distributed pretty evenly and it isn't particularly high in fat or sugar like stereotypical Southern food. Where did you pull your assumptions out of?

Wait, didn't Hanners grow up in a Space Station? Wouldn't she have been exposed to over-processed foods, thereby making her comments hypocritical?  
She isn't protesting the processing, she's protesting the questionable ingredients, chemicals, and high salt- all things that Space Food would have tight controls on.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2011, 03:26 by westrim »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #167 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:28 »

She probably ate Healthy Space Food Pills. I also imagine her with one of those food trays with straws in them, like on the moon shuttle in "2001." Either that, or Space Jerky, which she thought she'd gotten sick of until the temptation just now got too great for her. Next up: Hanners on the drum kit, banging out "Zarathustra." With a stomachache.
Of course, she could be fucking with us. She's sorry.
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1068

EDIT: "It could be butt-meat" definitely needs to be a candidate for moment-of-the-week. "It comes from the steak part of the cow" is good, too.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2011, 03:31 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #168 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:32 »

For comic #1869...

1. Have to agree with both sides on the "before & after" consequences of eating most preservative-heavy, brand-sold jerky: "flavor country" now, gastro-intestinal mess later.  One of the reasons I try to avoid eating it, even while (or especially while) travelling.

2. Another point that it may say "steak" meat, but there are such things as "butt steak" too... :-P

3. For Westrim... [Hannelore]: "Mo! Mayme..." is because Hannelore's mouth is full of butt-steak jerky, with her funny-cute cheeks stuffed like a squirrel's.

4. Does the jerky bag say "Jerk.com" on it...?
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2021, 21:26 by pendrake »

Tetrinity

• Plantmonster
« Reply #169 on: 24 Feb 2011, 03:48 »

I think it says Jerk City. In any case, for the purposes of research I visited http://www.jerk.com/ which appears to be based more towards human jerks than cow parts.

I don't personally have this problem with beef jerky (never eaten it, don't at all plan to). Give me a box of doughnuts or a packet of chocolate biscuits, however...

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #170 on: 24 Feb 2011, 04:09 »

YAY! Moar Hanners and Mar-bear!  :-D gotta love those two.

I'm not a huge fan of beef jerky, but I'll eat it if nothing else is available.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #171 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:02 »

Jerky's pretty popular amongst the hunting population, I'm told - high protein, lowfat.  And you can chew it for hours while waiting for your prey. 

I love the stuff, myself.  And slimjims etc are beefsticks, not jerky.  As for the gastrointestinal issues, that comes from not being used to the stuff.  It's quite dry, and soaks up the moisture in your intestines which messes with the flow of things.  Your intestines then add more moisture to get things moving, and that's where the unpleasantness arises...

Same thing happens when you eat salad rarely, or fatty foods rarely, then binge out on them.  Lower GI distress...

Like Gallagher said, you gotta eat yer chemicals and build up your tolerance!  Otherwise, when you get exposed to them later, they'll knock you on your ass...

Of course, he was talking about hot dogs. 

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....  hot dogs......   jerky....... 

Time for breakfast!   :lol:

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #172 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:11 »

Eww, meat.
Carpe Diem

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #173 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:25 »

Well snubnose, the majority of the human population disagrees with you.

I use to live with someone who made his own jerky which was pretty cool. Good homemade jerky is far better than packet stuff anyday. Might have to try making some at some point. Already planning on making my own ham soon.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #174 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:42 »

Am I the only one to notice that Hanners said "mayme"?
No. Or as Hanners put it "Mo!" Her mouth is full of dried meat. I don't know that I've ever seen jerky, but the butchers here stock slabs of biltong to sell to people from South Africa, especially when a Springboks game is on the TV. I have never tried it of course, but it looks disgusting. So do hot dogs...

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #175 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:48 »

Squee, Marbear said BRB. I thought me and my girlfriend were the only persons doing this.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #176 on: 24 Feb 2011, 05:50 »

:psyduck: Jerky isn't grits, its popularity is distributed pretty evenly and it isn't particularly high in fat or sugar like stereotypical Southern food. Where did you pull your assumptions out of?

The people I see eating the shit, guilt by association, etc.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #177 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:22 »

So do hot dogs...

I don't trust hot dogs.  Even the ones that claim to be all-beef or all-turkey or are kosher...they're all suspect to me because their innards look like nothing I've seen before that's healthy.  I'm on to you, hot dogs... :x

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #178 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:24 »

Turkey hot dogs?

Please tell me this is not a real thing and just the crazed ramblings of an ill mind.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #179 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:27 »

Turkey hot dogs?

Please tell me this is not a real thing and just the crazed ramblings of an ill mind.

It is both.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #180 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:39 »

Squee, Marbear said BRB. I thought me and my girlfriend were the only persons doing this.

What? You mean contributing to the death of the English language? No, you're not the only people doing that.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #181 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:47 »

• Jerky is more of a western US thing, but it's pretty popular anywhere.
  • Renee has not shown us much in the way of positives since she appeared on the scene. Please to remember the last scene before Marten and Hanners left TSB - she was face down on the counter, apparently taking a nap.
  • Turkey hot dogs rule.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #182 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:58 »

So do hot dogs...

I don't trust hot dogs.  Even the ones that claim to be all-beef or all-turkey or are kosher...they're all suspect to me because their innards look like nothing I've seen before that's healthy.  I'm on to you, hot dogs... :x

You know what hot dogs are made out of? Lips and assholes, kid. Lips and assholes.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #183 on: 24 Feb 2011, 07:08 »

Which would mean that turkey hot-dogs are all asshole.

I suppose someone's got to eat them.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #185 on: 24 Feb 2011, 07:33 »

Come now, no one wants to see the sausage made...
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #186 on: 24 Feb 2011, 08:16 »

We used to a few miles from a place that sold nothing but jerky. We used to go in there weekly. They made their own jerky out of stuff like elk, antelope, venison, wild boar, ostrich, buffalo, alligator, etc. They also had them in different degrees of spicy. So delicious.

I knew being friends with Marigold would be good for Hanners. Next thing you know she'll be eating hot dogs! And we all know those are made out of butt meat.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

carg1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #187 on: 24 Feb 2011, 08:59 »

Hanners and Marigold could damn near be a spinoff comic.  Easily 2 of my faves :-D

Tetrinity

• Plantmonster
« Reply #188 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:24 »

Eww, meat.

Would there be a vegan substitute for jerky, by any chance? I wouldn't mind sampling THAT... :-P

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #189 on: 24 Feb 2011, 09:52 »

Could ... could Hanners finally be ready for Taco Bell?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #190 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:06 »

NO. 

Adding salt and preservatives to something that's identifiably meat is one thing...

Something that's less than 40% meat (by analysis) and the rest additives is quite  another!
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2011, 10:55 by Carl-E »

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #191 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:13 »

:psyduck: I don't know where they came up with all that nonsense to begin with, but most of it is untrue, especially the "40% meat" part. And there are no secret additives - it's oats. Many companies use that as a bulking ingredient.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #192 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:27 »

:psyduck: I don't know where they came up with all that nonsense to begin with, but most of it is untrue, especially the "40% meat" part. And there are no secret additives - it's oats. Many companies use that as a bulking ingredient.

Quote from: Taco Bell
The "seasoned ground beef" contains less than 35 percent beef - the other 65 percent of the meat-like mixture is: water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin, soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate and potassium lactate.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #193 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:40 »

I have not seen anything that says that Taco Bell themselves have admitted to 35% beef. From what I understand, nobody else has checked it except the people bringing up the lawsuit.

Quote from: Taco Bell
Our recipe for seasoned beef includes ingredients you'd find in your home or in the supermarket aisle today:
    * 88% USDA-inspected quality beef
    * 3-5% water for moisture
    * 3-5% spices (including salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, sugar, garlic powder, cocoa powder and a proprietary blend of Mexican spices and natural flavors).
    * 3-5% oats, starch, sugar, yeast, citric acid, and other ingredients that contribute to the quality of our product.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #194 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:48 »

Sheesh. Good thing I'm long past being amazed at what starts an argument in an online forum.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #195 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:48 »

Someone bring up Taco Bell and its questionable content percentages of beef...?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/372475/january-27-2011/gordita-supreme-court

:mrgreen: <- (burrito) <- *munch munch munch*

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #196 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:54 »

Hee! <3 Colbert.

And it's not really an argument, but as a resident of AL (where the lawsuit originated) I've had to hear about this *so much* lol. My biggest thing isn't the percentages, it's the number of people who think the rest is soylent green or maybe rat poison.

Also, if you go to Taco Bell and spend a dollar but still think you're getting good food... well...

Damn, now I want a chalupa. They should make a beef jerky chalupa.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #197 on: 24 Feb 2011, 10:57 »

as a resident of AL

Only two good things come out of Alabama, I-20 and Rain.  :evil:

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #198 on: 24 Feb 2011, 11:29 »

Ahahaha! Love it. (I'm not a native haha)

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #199 on: 24 Feb 2011, 12:11 »

I love jerky, especially bison or handmade. It's pretty popular up here in Alberta, and I assume the other western provinces. No idea about the rest of Canada though. The idea of anyone hating jerky baffles me, I must say. I thought it was one of those things that everyone, barring Vegetarians/Hindus/etc, liked. There goes my ideals of jerky bringing the world together. First tea, now this.
Hannelore needs to try true jerky, and not the processed stuff. That way, she'll know exactly whats in it.   
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up