THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what should Marigold wear to her "date" with Dale? (Sorry, "Nothing" is not an option.)

YAOI ZONE Shirt
- 4 (4.2%)
NUYASHA Shirt
- 1 (1%)
SCIENCE IS A VERB NOW Shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
HORDE RULES shirt
- 10 (10.4%)
JOCO shirt
- 1 (1%)
DIREN GREY shirt
- 0 (0%)
I <3 HARUHI hoodie
- 1 (1%)
EVA-01 shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
WHITE WORDS ON BLACK SHIRT
- 7 (7.3%)
XKCD shirt (Ankthar: :P )
- 6 (6.3%)
"Magical Maid Marigold-chan" outfit
- 8 (8.3%)
meh. shirt
- 1 (1%)
ANIMEW shirt
- 0 (0%)
WOW NRRD shirt
- 1 (1%)
The White Dress
- 2 (2.1%)
Michael Palin black shirt (HA!!!)
- 0 (0%)
Sarah Palin blue shirt
- 1 (1%)
The Tank Top (!)
- 7 (7.3%)
Black Hoodie (goes with everything)
- 2 (2.1%)
LUCKY star hoodie
- 0 (0%)
Homer Simpson outline shirt
- 0 (0%)
GEEK (Save Ends) shirt
- 0 (0%)
I <3 GAWWUS (or is it SEFIROSU~?) shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
All My Vices Are Devices shirt
- 8 (8.3%)
69 sideways shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
The Infamous Bikini
- 11 (11.5%)
ANIME shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
SUBS DUBS shirt
- 2 (2.1%)
Something else
- 3 (3.1%)
Nothing at all. Nothing at all! NOTHING AT ALL!
- 10 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2558-2562 (21-25 October 2013) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 39920 times)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Except Dale has always been awkward around Marigold?
When he wasn't being creepy-stalkerish anyway. Which could be interpreted as awkwardness on its own, actually; playing a 'role' with a stereotype attached is a bunch easier than being honest with someone you like for a lot of people.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

He's probably been worrying about this very moment since the first time Marigold threw money at him.  He actually was hoping to have someone to talk to about WoW, and she got confrontational, so he escalated it online and in reality, but now they're finally alone.  Together. 

New territory is new. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Marigold also has a history of bringing out awkwardness in other people.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

I'm going to go out on a limb and call 2259 the worst strip ever.

I can agree with this. The main problem is that it is boring, but it is also awfully just... weird. They specifically set up this get together to watch anime so it was obvious that Dale already liked it. You could have replaced that with any number of other awkward ice-breaking questions and it would have made for a better comic.

Furthermore, check out his cool in 2512/2513. Maybe he was thrown off by the helmet incident (how could he have not noticed it was still on!?), but otherwise his personality is exceptionally awkward for the circumstance. Of course, maybe he hadn't internally processed his feelings prior to this point.

Long story short though, the main problem was that it was boring.

Interesting aside, 2513 was less than a week ago in the QC universe. It's been a busy week!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Strip 2259 was ages ago and not the one that we've just seen - I don't know whether the post you're quoting was a mistype or just a random statement.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Before BM
---
The first 2259 is also a strip with tangible awkwardness.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2259
---

After BM
---
Strip 2259 was ages ago and not the one that we've just seen - I don't know whether the post you're quoting was a mistype or just a random statement.

The number at the top of the latest comic is incorrect. It should (unless it was deliberate, ofc) be 2559.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

I can agree with this. The main problem is that it is boring, but it is also awfully just... weird. They specifically set up this get together to watch anime so it was obvious that Dale already liked it.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Anybody hear Crickets chirping?

Cutely awkward though  :)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tulpa

• Balloon animal serial killer

Where is the liquor? It should be out by now. It helps these things.

Sometimes though it just makes them worse.
Always helps me out, but I'm kind of a social alcoholic.  :psyduck:

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

well, given what happened the last time marigold had that type of help...

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Awkward Zone initiated!

Quick! Activate maximum ridiculosity plan Delta!!!

But how is Pintsize going to get there?  :-D

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Awkward yet going in the right direction. She broke the ice and he needs to pick up on it and start a conversation...

At least they aren't fighting right away, and they aren't going at it like animals in heat so they are doing something right so far  8-)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken

Today's comic is reminiscent of my first high school date.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Heh. teh awkward is expressed in all lower case italics.

"So, um, what would you like to watch?"

Wonder how that will turn out? Can Dale even remember any anime titles?
What would be the most awkward title Dale could blurt out?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He likes something she doesn't like. Comedy! (Also stern-face Momo is a plus)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Her initial response wasn't honest, either - she was just slipping into comfortable confrontational mode. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Silly Marigold.  The man is always right.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

i like to think that momo's been standing there the whole time, and will continue to stand there all night

westrim

I wonder which extreme in her responses is closer to the truth?

What would be the most awkward title Dale could blurt out?
Well, it isn't an anime, but the first thing that came to my mind was Hentai Kamen. I just watched it this weekend.

Silly Marigold.  The man is always right.
Prettttty certain that is in no way implied, intended or otherwise.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Moments of awkwardness and self doubt she reverts to trying to repel someone with an offhand remark rather than risk being potentially embarassed...I empathise with her, I know the reaction too well.

Momo is showing her stern face but you have to love that she is doing it for all the right reasons- that's the truest friend you could ever hope to have  8-)

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

Damnit, now I want a green couch with matching pants!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

i like to think that momo's been standing there the whole time, and will continue to stand there all night

Me, I like to think that Momo simply apparated at the call of a Marigold social alert, to allow her to deliver her glare of death.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

I, too, like this idea.

Stern-faced Momo and Marigold's sudden I WANNA MARRY IT gave me some sorely needed smiles tonight. Thanks, Jeph (not that you will read this, but the sentiment is here.)
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's an awfully inflammatory thing to say without saying why you think that.
(Also today's strip was numbered 2259, when it is in fact 2559.)

Yeah, thanks for catching that...I didn't even notice. Makes me wonder how many other comics Jeph may have accidentally mislabeled.

I was commenting on 2559, not 2259

Am I the only one who feels Dale's personality got a bit derailed?

Nope.

Of course, he didn't have much personality in the first place, but he certainly seems to have been Flanderized a bit for plot purposes.

I can agree with this. The main problem is that it is boring, but it is also awfully just... weird.

There has to be a "worst" comic among the 2560 that have been drawn to date, and I can't honestly think of another that simultaneously did less to advance plot and was less funny than this one.

Perhaps #15
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Memories of high school dates are funny precisely because they're so painful.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

And the last few comics are what happens when you don't date in high school - the awkward just gets postponed until your first dates as as adult and becomes at least ten times worse. At least they're both equally awkward around each other - if they each tried dating people with more dating experience they'd most likely look like complete losers.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hopefully in a minute Dale will collect himself and say "what didn't you like about it?" and they might actually have a proper conversation.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Anonrahem

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I am calling it right now.  After the Dale/Marigold arc, Martin is gonna move back to LA because he actually has no purpose in this current group of friends.

Faye + Angus
Dale + Marigold
Hannelore + Marigold
Dora + Tali
Steve + Cosette

So either Claire and Martin hookup(which everyone is secretly hoping for), or Martin fads into obscurity(He hasn't had meaningful character interaction/development sense 2458).

Food for Thought, now argue! :D

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

I doubt very much Marten is going to want to willingly put himself back under the thumb of his domineering mother. At least if he stays on the East Coast he can keep an entire country between himself and her, thereby remaining somewhat free of her overbearing ways.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Dora + Tali
And an indelible image is stamped into the minds of Mass Effect fans everywhere.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

I am calling it right now.  After the Dale/Marigold arc, Martin is gonna move back to LA because he actually has no purpose in this current group of friends.

Faye + Angus
Dale + Marigold
Hannelore + Marigold
Dora + Tali
Steve + Cosette

So either Claire and Martin hookup(which everyone is secretly hoping for), or Martin fads into obscurity(He hasn't had meaningful character interaction/development sense 2458).

Welcome new person. Nice to meet you here. Be advised that to work as a community, we have to follow a few easy rules.

1st off:
We have a public spelling announcement. You desperately need to visit it if you can't get the name of the main character right.

2nd:
As hard as it can be, we're not really supposed to be shipping characters. It's in the rules. There isn't really anything that suggests that Marten and Claire will get together.

Lastly:
It's Marten, not Martin. Sorry. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I don't see Jeph abandoning his main character. And you're not the first nor will you be the last to "call" that Marten will leave.

And for all we know, Marten could be doing quite a lot on his free time, Jephzibah just chose not to show him in the strip today.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

So either Claire and Martin hookup(which everyone is secretly hoping for),

Ha ha. "Secretly", yes. Nice one. Anyway, welcome to the forums.  :laugh:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome

Faye + Angus
Dale + Marigold
Hannelore + Marigold
Dora + Tali
Steve + Cosette

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act I Scene V

"[Marten] needs a [romantic partner] like a fish needs a bicycle."
Gloria Steinem

"I don't get freaky with girls, you dumb bosh'tet! No matter how hot and sorta goth and into Slayer they are! Besides, if I were going to experiment it would be with a much more military woman."
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy

"Los Angeles is like San Diego's uglier older sister that has herpes."
Justin Halpern
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2013, 02:41 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Heh - I saw Hamlet last night :)  (See Blog Thread)

After the Dale/Marigold arc, Martin is gonna move back to LA because he actually has no purpose in this current group of friends.

There would have been more reason for him to move when Padma left - but he didn't.  He has a life and friends (even if not one particular friend right now) where he is, and nothing much left to return to in CA.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2013, 03:42 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Dora + Tali
And an indelible image is stamped into the minds of Mass Effect fans everywhere.

*charges a Carnifex pistol*

I know shipping is no mas in here any way, but thou shalt leave Tali be. Non-compliance will be met with biblical grade retribution.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Heh - I saw Hamlet last night :)

*jealous*

I love Hamlet, and I'd love to see it in English one day.

Until that day, the Branagh version has to suffice. I don't want to see a translated version.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

And the last few comics are what happens when you don't date in high school - the awkward just gets postponed until your first dates as as adult and becomes at least ten times worse. At least they're both equally awkward around each other - if they each tried dating people with more dating experience they'd most likely look like complete losers.
I didn't date in high school at all. My sophomore year of college, I dated a freshman girl in the beginning of the year for two weeks. It ended badly, but lots of firsts were had! Not all good ones. Several very bad ones. I'll always appreciate it, though.

(Interestingly enough, that was the first and only time I've dated a younger girl, everyone since has been older, even if just by a few months)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook

I don't want to see a translated version.
No translated versions at all?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0k4qV1I1Y&t=4m10s

:evil:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That is the greatest thing ever and I am not going to watch it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

One of the general rules when breaking the ice is not to bring up a subject about which you feel negatively. Don't bring up a show you hate as a topic of conversation, it leaves you with nothing positive to say which backs you into a corner if the person likes the thing you do not. Bring up something you do enjoy, this keeps your conversation options open the widest. Even if they do not share your interest in the subject,  you can always shift to a new topic with far less awkwardness, or even explain why you do like it. After that you can ask them what they are into and the cycle continues.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There's an insight there, that Marten is a catalyst. He makes reactions happen and is more or less unchanged afterward.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Truec

• Furry furrier

Faye + Angus
Dale + Marigold
Hannelore + Marigold
Dora + Tali
Steve + Cosette

I enjoy your implication that people not in a relationship have no place in a group of friends.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Hopefully in a minute Dale will collect himself and say "what didn't you like about it?" and they might actually have a proper conversation.

[slow clap]

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Quote from: Dr. ROFLPWN
"I don't get freaky with girls, you dumb bosh'tet! No matter how hot and sorta goth and into Slayer they are! Besides, if I were going to experiment it would be with a much more military woman."
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy

So you're saying that Marten has to wait until he attracts the interest of a military chick?

Mama Momo keeping an eye on things is cute.

I wonder if she will use shock therapy on them?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"Mama Momo" should join "The Pugnacious Peach" as a Thing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Mama Momo, here we go again...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

"Mama Momo" should join "The Pugnacious Peach" as a Thing.

I want to make a joke on how they're both peaches, but I'm just not sure how to get there.

There isn't really anything that suggests that Marten and Claire will get together.

I'm just splitting hairs, since it's not like I want the place to turn into fanfic central or anything, but it's absolutely been teased. And it may be just that, teasing the readers. But the foundation is set that it could go that way and it wouldn't be out of left field.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome

Quote from: Dr. ROFLPWN
Tali'Zorah vas Normandy

So you're saying that Marten has to wait until he attracts the interest of a military woman?

I was mostly making a joke about the Tali/Shepard romance in Mass Effect.

...So, yes, if Marten's secret life goal is to be part of a threesome with a human lady and a Quarian one.

Also I hell of support Mama Momo being a Thing
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Well, if Marten ever got to the point he could bench press about 130 pounds in one gee, there's a possibility that might be open to him, now that he knows her name.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

To be fair, she never specified one gee. He should've offered to bench press her then and there :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up