THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I Like Shitty Music!  (Read 63500 times)

Menzallol

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jul 2005, 17:24 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Actually, I kinda like AFI.

You may kill me now.

Thank you.  I thought I was the only one.

Merkava

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #51 on: 03 Jul 2005, 17:41 »

Quote from: Not An Addict
Quote from: Borondir
Don't hate on them just because they are awesome arena rock.

Of course not. Hate on them because they're shitty arena rock.

Waaaaaaaay ahead of ya, buddy.

;D

SeanBateman

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #52 on: 03 Jul 2005, 18:06 »

I own and Listen to Both Avril Lavigne CD's, The Dixie Chicks, Kieth Urban, Tim Mcgraw, and The Bloodhound Gang.

Hector Gilbert

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #53 on: 03 Jul 2005, 19:39 »

What album should I start with?  I've been rather curious about 'em.

Menzallol

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #54 on: 03 Jul 2005, 20:07 »

Oooh.  I want to help with this one.  I think Black Sails in the Sunset would be a good place to start.  It's super rock-outable.

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #55 on: 03 Jul 2005, 21:52 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert

What album should I start with?  I've been rather curious about 'em.

My girlfriend is all about this band.  She recommends "The Art Of Drowning".  

Personally, I think every song on that whole album is the same song.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jul 2005, 21:52 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
SNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPP!

That's what I'm talking about!

Firevine

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #57 on: 03 Jul 2005, 23:42 »

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
I adore Kelly Clarkson.

I actually kind of like that one Kelly Clarkson song myself.
And people give them tons of shit, but I loves me some My Chemical Romance.

darkhorizons

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #58 on: 05 Jul 2005, 09:09 »

Be prepared to grab your torch and pitchforks.

Linkin Park.  

*runs away*

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #59 on: 05 Jul 2005, 13:11 »

Okay, I'll top you.

I like a Good Charolette song.  I forget the name, I think it was called "girls like cars and money" or something.  The chorus was kind of stupid, but the verses were set to this kickass 80s type riff, and it sounded wonderful.

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #60 on: 05 Jul 2005, 13:29 »

pitchforks and torches at the ready, CHARGE!

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #61 on: 05 Jul 2005, 14:46 »

Quote from: heretic
pitchforks and torches at the ready, CHARGE!

I wonder if that's why it's called Pitchfork Media.  

*rimshot*
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Nadia

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #62 on: 05 Jul 2005, 15:50 »

I still like to listen to stuff that my brothers used to play on the tape deck when I was a little thing- Squeeze, UB40, Peter Gabriel, Genesis.  Ah, the memories...

I also listen to Janet Jackson, No Doubt and Britney Spears when I'm at the gym.  If anyone has suggestions of non-sucky workout music, I'm all ears:)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #63 on: 05 Jul 2005, 16:01 »

I usually work out to industrial music or EBM if that helps. You do need something with a good rhythm. I like different songs for different exercises myself:  :wumpscut: - On The Run for the exercise bike, Hanzel Und Gretyl - SS Deathstar Supergalactick for the treadmill, KMFDM - A Drug Against War for the rowing machine, etc.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Nadia

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #64 on: 05 Jul 2005, 16:17 »

I usually work out to industrial music or EBM if that helps. You do need something with a good rhythm. I like different songs for different exercises myself: :wumpscut: - On The Run for the exercise bike, Hanzel Und Gretyl - SS Deathstar Supergalactick for the treadmill, KMFDM - A Drug Against War for the rowing machine, etc.

Thank you, Khar.  I will definitely check out some of your suggestions.

:)

reva

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #65 on: 05 Jul 2005, 20:57 »

Jason Mraz.

:)

SeanBateman

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #66 on: 05 Jul 2005, 21:53 »

Jason Mraz is NOT shitty music. Poppy, but amazing. On love in Sadness is one of my favorite songs EVAR!

Carebear Nihilist

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #67 on: 06 Jul 2005, 00:24 »

For one, no artist is shitty, someone will always find them to be good. For two, if it sounds good to you, and you like it, it's not shitty! This is more of a "what widely hated band do you guiltily love" or "what do you get ripped on for listening to" thread.

Anyway, that was sort of tangential!

I get crap from the metalheads for listening to stuff like Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, and 8bit peoples, crap from the indies for listening to extreme metal of any sort (black metal, death, grindcore), crap from the emos for listening to anything besides emo, crap from the ravers for listening to classical like Shostakovich or jazz like Ornette Coleman, and crap from everyone for listening to Bjork. The list goes on, it just depends on who I'm talking to and what bands I mention I like. Damn my eclectic taste in music.

normz

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #68 on: 06 Jul 2005, 00:59 »

when i refer to bands that i like as crappy it usually means that their some poppy top 40 type band who just don't have the emotional depth, talent or effort put into the music as some of my other favourtie artists needless to stay i still find them catchy

oh and my list of artists im ashamed to admit to liking include the used, my chemical romance, Gwen Stefani and Andrew Lloyd Weber show tunes ..... (I also have owned Blink 182 and Linkin Park cd's in the past)

STOP JUDGING ME DAMMIT

kikanjuuneko

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #69 on: 06 Jul 2005, 01:22 »

Quote from: Carebear Nihilist
...and crap from everyone for listening to Bjork.

What? Björk is amazing!

crazybritishsteve

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #70 on: 06 Jul 2005, 01:45 »

Quote from: normz

oh and my list of artists im ashamed to admit to liking include the used, my chemical romance, Gwen Stefani and Andrew Lloyd Weber show tunes .....

Andrew Lloyd Weber FTW!

How about Crowded House, New Order and for maximum cheese: Soundtrack from Dawson's Creek. Do i win a prize now?

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #71 on: 06 Jul 2005, 02:22 »

I will back people up on DMB being excellent. I don't understand how it's got such a bad reputation - everyone in the US seems to hate DMB fans (including possibly DMB fans themselves), but seeing as how I've only met about three other Aussies who've heard more than one or two songs by DMB, maybe I'm missing out on that part.

In terms of embarassing bands, I have owned CDs by Blink 182, the Presidents of the USA, Limp Bizkit, etc. And I have enjoyed them all, at some stage of my life. (Yes, I know.)

Also, it's impossible to hate Dire Straits.

Final proof of my shameful love of dodgy music is given by the fact that I am currently in the middle of listening to Natalie Imbruglia's album Left of the Middle from end to end. And I'm damn well singing along.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #72 on: 06 Jul 2005, 04:47 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko

What? Björk is amazing!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Who are your friends that judge you for listening to Bjork?
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?

darkhorizons

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #73 on: 06 Jul 2005, 07:25 »

Quote from: Kanno
Okay, I'll top you.

I like a Good Charolette song.  I forget the name, I think it was called "girls like cars and money" or something.  The chorus was kind of stupid, but the verses were set to this kickass 80s type riff, and it sounded wonderful.

Good Charlotte - Girls And Boys.

Sigh, those were the days.

zekterellium

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #74 on: 06 Jul 2005, 07:56 »

the all girl summer fun band.

although if anyone other than me calls them shitty, i will start a fight.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #75 on: 06 Jul 2005, 08:10 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
AFI leads to screamo, screamo leads to plain ol' emo, emo leads to being an emo kid.

AFI is a gateway band.

Actually, that's kinda true for me.  I've never been a fan of AFI, but Dismantled does an amazing cover of Morningstar.

As far as what i shouldn't listen to but do...I'd say some glaringly awful synthpop/futurepop.  From time to time I really like me some Apoptygma Berserk or Wolfsheim.  And I'd have to agree with the mention of Jack Off Jill (or Scarling, for that matter).  It's fun stuff.

Carebear Nihilist

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #76 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:24 »

Quote from: lastclearchance
Quote from: kikanjuuneko

What? Björk is amazing!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Who are your friends that judge you for listening to Bjork?

All elitists actually! Just in different genres of music, some of my DNB friends don't mind too much. But what really got me is this, my wapanese anime obsessed friend who listens to primarily J-Pop, absolutely hates Bjork.[/i]

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #77 on: 06 Jul 2005, 12:14 »

Quote from: zekterellium
the all girl summer fun band.

although if anyone other than me calls them shitty, i will start a fight.

Yeah, what's wrong with them?

zekterellium

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #78 on: 06 Jul 2005, 12:14 »

they can't sing or play their instruments and they aren't exactly smart... but they're so damn cuuute.

Tinsel_Shine

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #79 on: 09 Jul 2005, 16:40 »

I love Blink 182. Love them. I'm still in denial over the hiatus thing. Depending on how you look at it they could be considered my favorite band.

Also, everyone at school hates me for loving Green Day, which kinda surprised me because I didn't realise there was so much Green Day hate. God help me if they ever find out I like Blink.

Also, I own Linkin Park CDs. I don't listen to them often anymore, but I'd check it out if they released another album that wasn't just remixes/live versions of songs I already have. Generally, when I hear them, I'm either really into them, or I have to turn them off instantly, I can't tolerate them if I'm not in the right mood. Personally, I think if you manage to ignore the painfully angsty lyrics, the music's actually pretty cool. I like listening to them as I'm going to sleep too, they're kinda soothing.

On top of this, I also like a number of songs by generic poppy girls who go by their full names. (Vanessa Carlton, Diana Anaid, Anna Nalick etc. I'm begining to think generic poppy girls who go by their full names is a genre in it's self).

That's the extent of my shame that I can think of at the moment, but there's probably more.

darkhorizons

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jul 2005, 18:37 »

Quote from: Tinsel_Shine
I love Blink 182. Love them. I'm still in denial over the hiatus thing. Depending on how you look at it they could be considered my favorite band.

They hiatus'd on my birthday.  Ah, that about wrecked my day.

Kirkles

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2005, 14:37 »

I love Billy Joel. And Crowded House.

Plus, I have a lovely collection of musical soundtracks (that includes Disney) on my CD rack, Grease, Honk (anyone heard of Honk?), Bugsy Malone, and a ton more. I love musicals.

I also... *takes deep breath* enjoy listening to some Tom Jones songs.

Gryff

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jul 2005, 14:55 »

Quote from: crazybritishsteve
How about Crowded House, New Order and for maximum cheese: Soundtrack from Dawson's Creek. Do i win a prize now?

I think you must have to win some kind of prize for the Dawson's Creek OST, but c'mon! Crowded House are pretty ok in a radio-friendly lite-pop kinda way, and New Order are frikkin sweet!

I also must admit that that Kelly Clarkson song (I think we're all talking about the same one...) "Since U Been Gone", despite using txt speak, which is retarded, was poptastic. Also "Toxic" by Britney Spears.

There's not really any excuse for listening to Linkin Park, though.

Robbo

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #83 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:08 »

I'll listen to pretty much any "I just got Fruity Loops for my birthday" Ambeint/Drone project that comes along, specially if they're nice and put loads up for free on the net.

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:18 »

hollaback girl. there. i said it.

Gryff

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #85 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:39 »

Oh shit! YES! Gwen Stephani is cool, dammit - moreso now than when she was in No Doubt. I like that she decided to sell out, so she fucking sold out to the baddest. It's awesome.

Plus, dancing harajuku girls.

MilkmanDan

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:47 »

Yes. Yes you do.
That's fine by me, if you enjoy it, then fuck other people's opinions. But it's still really shitty music.

Merkava

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #87 on: 12 Jul 2005, 17:03 »

Quote from: Gryff
Quote from: crazybritishsteve

I think you must have to win some kind of prize for the Dawson's Creek OST, but c'mon! Crowded House are pretty ok in a radio-friendly lite-pop kinda way, and New Order are frikkin sweet!

I also must admit that that Kelly Clarkson song (I think we're all talking about the same one...) "Since U Been Gone", despite using txt speak, which is retarded, was poptastic. Also "Toxic" by Britney Spears.

There's not really any excuse for listening to Linkin Park, though.

I hate New Order. So much.

Oh, and Gwen was great BEFORE she went solo and had a fetish for japanese girls. Mabe Weezer's El Scorcho was a premonition about her. :P

Gryff

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:15 »

Quote from: MilkmanDan
it's still really shitty music

No arguments here.

tedzsee

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.lucastds.com/webcomic
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:39 »

I add another thumbs up to kelly clarkson and second "Britney Spears' Toxic".
8 1/2 by ELEVEN, a webcomic about you by Lucas TdS.  Updates every weekday.

badassmonkeykid

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:39 »

Quote from: sp2

Bill Hicks said it best, "The Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple of tunes."

my god, a bill hicks fan!

those who have heard of hicks are few and far between!

course i was eight when he died, but i discovered him later and worship him as comedic god.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jul 2005, 00:23 »

Quote from: badassmonkeykid
those who have heard of hicks are few and far between!

You'd be surprised, I think.

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jul 2005, 04:17 »

Gwen with Pink hair back in the day= MEGA ULTRA UBER HOTNESS
Gwen now= hot, but only cause she's a rockstar

has everyone heard heard when she did saw red with brad nowell? sooo good

MoiraFae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jul 2005, 04:55 »

I, too, will admit a love of Dave Matthews Band. *gets out riot shield* I find it sad so many people dislike them, partially because they know too many idiots who do like them and have beaten others over the head with it. Bleh. I must say, I love the older work much more than the last few albums. But maybe I just haven't listened to them enough. Under the Table and Dreaming will always be one of my favorite albums, ever.
I enjoy musicals a little too much (hey, I'm allowed in my profession!) - Wicked and Avenue Q have been on heavy rotation with me the last few months. Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins are some old faves, although I don't think I listen to them very often any more .... I don't know what else. I know what I like, but I think I'd have to let someone look at my music collection and tell me what they think sucks. ;)

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:26 »

i like dave and tim's guitar work, but he's an arrogant prick about his voice. he just wants to showcase how well he can sing in every song. and it's not even that spectacular. i mean for god's sake the band is called "dave matthews band" arogant fucking prick...
also, i had a girlfriend who was absolutly obsessed with any little piece of excrement he released, so i tried really hard to like him, or at least get used to him, ya know play it in the car or in the background, but i just couldn't do it.

but, hey, if you like 'im, great!

MoiraFae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:40 »

I can understand why a ton of people don't like him, actually ... Which is kind of funny to me. I mean, yes, actually, I think quite a few of their songs sound similar. And, yes, he's pretty arrogant. And I know that lots of my friends hate him mainly because they've all known one or two or too many people who spout "omfgilufthedmbsof*ngmuchi'mchangingmynametonancymatthewshveuheardthenewalbumitssogoodi'mgoingtolistentoitnextdoorreallyloud20timeslatersbye!!!!1" and then they want to kill. With sharp knives. I understand that.

I like their use of different instruments. When I first got into listening, it was some of the most complex music I'd ever heard, which I enjoyed. I like the the lyrics and the way the music make me feel. I like Dave's voice. I have good memories attached to many of the songs. I guess all of that goes a long way.

I understand trying to like or become numb to a band because someone you're dating likes it. I was once forced to listen to lots and lots and lots of the Backstreet Boys. It was not a reason to break up with the boy. But it helped. It helped a lot.

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #96 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:44 »

how could you date a GUY who listened to backstreet boys? by guy, do you mean pre-teen girl?

MoiraFae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #97 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:50 »

No, if he had been a pre-teen girl, it would have been excusable. Let us just say that this was an addiction that I was oblivious of until we were attached. *head. hit. keyboard.*

heretic

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #98 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:32 »

i'm...i'm so sorry...

MoiraFae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:56 »

It's ok. The pain is in my past. The scars are small and well-hidden.

Although, truth told, I never, ever needed to know all the words to 'I Want It That Way.'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up