THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 12:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Smash Brothers Brawl  (Read 342064 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Smash Brothers Brawl
« Reply #400 on: 15 Oct 2007, 15:11 »

The sort of hallmark experience for me in this regard was the Kotaku comments on the Too Human trailer that was released a few weeks ago. It's a game from a developer with a fantastic track record, and its gameplay is Diablo meets God of War, and its setting is Norse myth in a sci-fi universe. Everything about that game got me excited, and I thought the trailer looked great as well, but as soon as I checked the comments I saw 90% of the people taking an enormous shit on the effort Silicon Knights made even though it was clear that most people didn't know anything about how the game was supposed to work. It's frustrating as hell.

I kind of wish they had called Too Human anything but Too Human.

Because I loved, loved, loved the original cyberpunk concept of Too Human, when it was first conceived 10 years ago. So when I saw the God of War but Nordic sci-fi concept I was sorely disappointed. Both of my cyberpunk dream games went to hell on the 360. :(

But I know that if they didn't call it Too Human, I would've been heck of excited to see a new Silicon Knights games, which also disappoints me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #401 on: 15 Oct 2007, 16:46 »

Storm Rider, Obsessions and Ozy have pretty much covered all of my ranting on the hardcore issue. It does seem silly that I would be considered a hardcore gamer by just about anyone's standards, but yet my opinion is somehow nullified by the fact the Wii is my system of choice.

So yeah, I have a hard on for Smash Bros. and blah blah blah. I've got plenty of other games to play this holiday (on all 3 systems I own) and it means I'll actually have something to buy early next year.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #402 on: 15 Oct 2007, 17:25 »

Bu...bu...but Storm, you're forgetting about Super Mario Sunshine.  :-D
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #403 on: 15 Oct 2007, 17:39 »

Super Mario Sunshine didn't have the same focus as Galaxy and 64 do, and it doesn't have the same mechanics either. It's a different category in my opinion. And no, that's not just because it wasn't that great.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

muteKi

« Reply #404 on: 15 Oct 2007, 19:41 »

Storm Rider, Obsessions and Ozy have pretty much covered all of my ranting on the hardcore issue. It does seem silly that I would be considered a hardcore gamer by just about anyone's standards, but yet my opinion is somehow nullified by the fact the Wii is my system of choice.

So yeah, I have a hard on for Smash Bros. and blah blah blah. I've got plenty of other games to play this holiday (on all 3 systems I own) and it means I'll actually have something to buy early next year.

Because no hardcore gamer would ever play a game that was colorful, exciting, dare I say cutesy, and engaging. Some people just don't get it. And that's why the PS3 and XBOX 360 are taking a backseat to the Wii -- not every "hardcore" gamer hates originality, or thinks that graphics -- of another landscape that's mostly dark of full of sand -- are the most important part of a game. I can only wonder how much different the
I am hardcore in the sense that I've spent a lot of time gaming. Most of the time I play the various Sonic games. I've gotten all A-Ranks on Sonic Heroes and beaten Super Hard mode something like four times at this point. Don't go telling me that's not hardcore. (Also, speedrunning.)

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #405 on: 16 Oct 2007, 05:13 »

Is it possible to have one thread in this topic that doesn't devolve into a argument about Hardcore vs Casual games.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #406 on: 16 Oct 2007, 07:06 »

I am hardcore in the sense that I've spent a lot of time gaming. Most of the time I play the various Sonic games. I've gotten all A-Ranks on Sonic Heroes and beaten Super Hard mode something like four times at this point. Don't go telling me that's not hardcore. (Also, speedrunning.)

The only word to describe someone who plays the recent run of Sonic games is 'masochist.'
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

muteKi

« Reply #407 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:24 »

Actually, Sonic Heroes is okay, but the later ones are worse. This game is straightforward and not particularly annoying. It has a few kinks, like a lot of games, though.
The only problem with heroes is that occasionally the controls are too tight, but most of the time it's okay. It's just REALLY HARD in general.
But the level design is, at times, the best I have seen for 3D Sonic games -- Power Plant Zone is brilliant, and the artistic style is a logical progression from the originals.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #408 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:28 »

I'm not actually sure if I'm jaded or more critical or just growing increasingly apathetic about videogames. I find myself vacillating between thinking that videogames have never been better as an artform and thinking that in becoming more artistic they lose a lot of the fun element.

On a related topic, I have a very specific range of gameplay experiences that I can actually enjoy anymore. Casual games are too simplistic and short to hold my interest, while more 'hardcore' games are too complicated/difficult/long to do the same. It's like there's a sweet spot somewhere in the middle, and unless a game hits it, I don't enjoy it.

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #409 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:58 »

(Regarding today's update)

Wow. They've actually managed to make the home-run contest interesting.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #410 on: 16 Oct 2007, 19:24 »

Gregs, it sounds to me like you've become jaded, or, extremely picky, your choice. I wouldn't call that apathy, because then I doubt you would still be posting on this board.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #411 on: 16 Oct 2007, 21:05 »

You know wheres a good palce to argue about the definition of hardcore gamer, or talk about shit that isnt the ssbb thread?  In another tread, or another forum!

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #412 on: 17 Oct 2007, 03:41 »

-tries to save thread before hardcore vs casual implodes it-

How about that meowth!?!

and the new controls!

wicked!
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #413 on: 17 Oct 2007, 07:05 »

From the available control schemes, I think I'll end up using the classic controller.  I prefer it so much to the original gamecube controller, though that actually worked pretty decently for smash.  I really dont like the wiimote alone sideway NES style control scheme, and the Wiimote+Nunchuck seems sorta meh as well.

I doubt they'll include Meowth, just based on him not having a huge fanbase, and the inclusion of pikachu and the pokemon trainer.  I'm still crossing my fingers for Little Mac, but I'm not holding my breath.

edit: Oops!  Didn't realize that they had an update involving Meowth and the control scheme before I posted haha.  Is he an assist trophy or a pokeball guy. Hmm.  Also my main gripes with the wiimote alone controls are the shield and grabs are so awkward.  Hold your wiimote and try to hit the plus button in a really regular kind of way.  I think I'd have to look at the wiimote itself most times, or risk hitting menu and really fucking up the flow of things.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2007, 07:09 by will: wanton sex god »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #414 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:56 »

I'll probably use either the Classic controller or the Gamecube controller, depending on which feels better to me. Although I actually think if you switched the taunt and shield buttons on the Wii Remote control scheme it would actually work pretty well, and supposedly we'll be able to customize any of the control schemes as we please.

ackblom12

« Reply #415 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:44 »

Classic or Wavebird for me. Both are great controllers.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #416 on: 18 Oct 2007, 05:31 »

Will Wanton Sex God
I'm still crossing my fingers for Little Mac, but I'm not holding my breath.

Assist Trophy!

Though he couldve been a really cool character to play.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #417 on: 18 Oct 2007, 12:24 »

I'm happy but a little dissapointed but also really happy.  It's a weird time.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #418 on: 18 Oct 2007, 13:32 »

little mac to??? It almost seems like nintendo is trying insanely hard to fit the aspects of every popular game ever made into 1 sweet deal. This game will no doubt be talked about for decades [like Mario RPG and other games were]

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #419 on: 18 Oct 2007, 13:38 »

The only word to describe someone who plays the recent run of Sonic games is 'masochist.'

hey I take offense :P I've been a hardcore Sonic fan ever sense Sonic The Hedgehog first came out on the Sega Genesis. for the recent games? I have every single one for the gamecube. If you take the story line and the charecters with a grain of salt [keep in mind that Japan is like hardcore when it comes to anime based crap] than you start to notice that the games are actully pretty dang fun and it IS alot like classic Sonic [only 3D]

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #420 on: 18 Oct 2007, 17:29 »

damn, why did they bring back the home run thing?  I hated that mode above everything else.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #421 on: 18 Oct 2007, 18:59 »

damn, why did they bring back the home run thing?  I hated that mode above everything else.

they seem to have modified it much like the camera mode. The camera mode sucked because you had to "plan" the pictures. They seemed to have changed it to where you can pause the game and snap a photo anytime you like, which kind of excites me to be honest. Same with the homerun mode. Homerun contest sucked because not only was it single player but you had to make sure you didn't hit the bean bag off the bourd to early. This time they have multiplayer options as well as internet multiplay, they also put up a barrier that can only break after you hit it with enough force. It'll make hitting that sandbag ALOT easier.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2007, 19:02 by MC »

muteKi

« Reply #422 on: 18 Oct 2007, 21:14 »

I'm just interested in seeing how this will control with the nunchuck.

Also I suck at melee. But then I only ever play it in waiting rooms for medical facilities against 5-year-olds.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #423 on: 18 Oct 2007, 22:21 »

Probably:
Move with the control stick, jam the stick to either side hard to dash.
B on the wiimote to do a standard attack.
A for specials
C on the nunchuck to block or grab
Z to jump

A and B could be the other way around. What else do you need?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #424 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:43 »

Peach's final smash...

I dont know how to feel about it..

It should've been something from Super Princess Peach.

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #425 on: 19 Oct 2007, 07:08 »

Hell fucking yes to Little Mac! If Nintendo doesn't release a modern version of Punch-out soon, I swear I'll do....something....that I haven't thought of at the moment.....
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #426 on: 19 Oct 2007, 17:01 »

Peach's final smash...

I dont know how to feel about it..

It should've been something from Super Princess Peach.

it seems kind of..... weak. All it does is put your opponents to sleep and rain "peaches". You mide-as-well use an assist trophy as a better option. As for the feel of the move in general. It's peach after all.... you aren't gonna see anything to "war-lordish".

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #427 on: 19 Oct 2007, 17:14 »

Well the point is that while they're asleep you can charge up a Smash Attack and send them flying, then eat all the peaches to regain your own health. It seems like it'd be most useful when your opponents already have a lot of damage.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #428 on: 19 Oct 2007, 18:30 »

I guess but.. still...

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #429 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:32 »

pictochat... what a cool idea for a level! I LOVE it! It's ingenious.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #430 on: 22 Oct 2007, 05:36 »

I second that.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #431 on: 25 Oct 2007, 01:42 »

KING.  DEDEDE.  THE SHIT HAS BEEN BROUGHT.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #432 on: 25 Oct 2007, 01:48 »

Oh shit.

Oh shit.

STOP

HAMMERTIME
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #433 on: 25 Oct 2007, 03:21 »

I am so much more excited about King Dedede than Sonic.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #434 on: 25 Oct 2007, 06:12 »

Yes.
Yes!
YES!
YEEEESSSSS!!!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #435 on: 25 Oct 2007, 13:00 »

Oh man, as a DK and iceclimbers user....is dedede my new main?

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #436 on: 25 Oct 2007, 15:26 »

shit son its dede!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #437 on: 25 Oct 2007, 18:17 »

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #438 on: 25 Oct 2007, 19:22 »

A long ass post about gamers

God DAMN I love you.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #439 on: 26 Oct 2007, 01:23 »

KING.  DEDEDE.  THE SHIT HAS BEEN BROUGHT.

we're up to 23 charecters WITHOUT the secret charecters. thats almost as much as Melee WITH the secret charecters! The charecters that have shown up have made me seriously wonder who the secret charecters will be and how many of them there will be.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #440 on: 26 Oct 2007, 05:29 »

I like his moveset.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #441 on: 26 Oct 2007, 16:53 »

we're up to 23 charecters WITHOUT the secret charecters. thats almost as much as Melee WITH the secret charecters! The charecters that have shown up have made me seriously wonder who the secret charecters will be and how many of them there will be.
I know of at least 2. Luigi and Jigglypuff. Most of the other Melee secret characters I'm not so sure of, since they were mostly clones.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #442 on: 29 Oct 2007, 00:17 »

Jesus, a stage-creator, on top of everything else?  Truly you are too good to us, Sakurai.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #443 on: 29 Oct 2007, 00:31 »

This is just fucking ridiculous at this point. How many goddamn features is he going to cram into this game? It's like he can read minds.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #444 on: 29 Oct 2007, 04:08 »

Oh. My. God.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #445 on: 29 Oct 2007, 04:51 »

*bow* We are not Worthy. We are not Worthy.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #446 on: 29 Oct 2007, 05:28 »

Holycockfuck!

THATS SUCH A COOL FEATURE!

ackblom12

« Reply #447 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:28 »

At this point I think he's just trying to make sure that no future Smash Bros. will be able to compare.anyways...

Holyshitfuckinghellass!

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #448 on: 29 Oct 2007, 19:22 »

I'm pretty sure he's making it so there will never need to be any future SSB games. Ever.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #449 on: 29 Oct 2007, 19:38 »

I don't know about you guys, but I've got some ideas for stages that I am simply dying to try out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23   Go Up